Firefox 2.0 vs IE7 - Pure Ownage

I take the review with a grain of salt however I never liked IE to begin with...so yeah, Firefox ftw.

I don't believe one is better than the other. It is a personal preference for each person depending on their technical needs and ability along with their browsing habits.

Mister Natural said:
I don't believe one is better than the other. It is a personal preference for each person depending on their technical needs and ability along with their browsing habits.

I have been a lifelong and diehard IE user. I just couldn't bring myself to use Firefox for any reason at all, until the advent and maturity of FF 2.0. It does everything IE did, with the proper plug-ins, and then some. The extensions finally won me over. I now use Firefox, and proudly.

I agree that it's user preference, but when you start talking about what we're all about, which is customization and personalization, there's no choice: fat chance IE in its current latest form can touch FF. When it comes to rubber meeting the ground, I've got over 15 internet windows open at one time. IE7 can't touch the versatility and ease of use FF offers when it comes to cleaning all that up (tabbed browsing, which is much smoother and seamless in FF), and did I not mention the plug-ins. Ever since I found out about Adblock, that was the end of all the most annoying ads in places like Warp2search. :p

ajm786 said:
I have been a lifelong and diehard IE user. I just couldn't bring myself to use Firefox for any reason at all....
Just out of curiosity.... Why?

i love opera.. for some reason i just cant get it to work as well as firefox in linux though. :(

That had to be one of the crappiest comparisons I've ever read.

Installation ease counts as much as performance and security?

"Which browser best embodies the community aspect of the Web?" - WTF does that mean?

And the entire discussion under security and performance is a joke.

I'd really to see a genuine non-!!!!!! comparison between Opera/Firefox/IE to see how the new releases compare.

Mister Natural said:

Agreed, and which looks best to the person.

Firefox wins from a developers perspective. IE 7 still has some bugs that made their way from IE 6.

To me both have their usage. Firefox does not like a lot of portals like my SAP stuff. Also there is more work involved in getting a lot of plugins to work with Firefox. I use both for different things...

IE 6 vs FF 1.5 was a draw. Each had it's pros and cons.

IE 7 vs FF 2 is a was. IE 7 has been nothing but slow and unstable for me, and FF 2 is clearly faster and more stable. No contest here.

review seems a little slanted towards FireFox.

Not that I am disagreeing with the outcome, but I still use IE almost exclusively.
i use firefox when i do anything that would require me to hit an odd, out of the way website.

GJSNeptune said:
Just out of curiosity.... Why?

Notice past tense: have been. I don't think anyone can get me to sway from FF now. The reason why I never switched was because IE was the most integrated and had the least problems that I'd ever faced from any browser.

All past tense again.

darktiger said:
To me both have their usage. Firefox does not like a lot of portals like my SAP stuff. Also there is more work involved in getting a lot of plugins to work with Firefox. I use both for different things...

Sums it up for me right here. I do prefer firefox, but there is some administration I use that requires me to use IE (WSUS Admin). Sometimes I just get frustrated from switching between browsers that I leave IE up.

I do like what they have done with IE on version 7 and a step in the right direction. I prefer FF for the aesthetics and configuration.

ajm786 said:
All past tense again.
Yeah, I know. I just quoted what you said. I realized you're using Firefox now. Just wanted to know why you were so into IE.

Anyway, now I know. :p

Opera is fast and all, don't get me wrong but it lacks some support and has a few bugs with viewing some sites. It also doesn't have the neato spellcheck to catch my typos like FF2. :p

Ive long since gone from using IE. Im a dedicated FF user for a couple reasons:

Tabbed browsing support, blocks ads, prevents popups, and a couple other features such as exporting my bookmarks to html.

The only time Ill use IE is to check my hotmail, but thats only because it won't open FF from Messenger.

pigster said:
That had to be one of the crappiest comparisons I've ever read.

Installation ease counts as much as performance and security?

"Which browser best embodies the community aspect of the Web?" - WTF does that mean?

And the entire discussion under security and performance is a joke.

I'd really to see a genuine non-!!!!!! comparison between Opera/Firefox/IE to see how the new releases compare.

Exactly, sorry but Cnet reviews are absolute TRASH and often done by what seems to be people who have no clue about what they are reviewing.

Check out many of their computer reviews, it is some turd sitting beside it saying shit like

"well, it look pretty and is smooth, so i think i will give this a 9/10, i didnt give it a perfect score because it didnt come in flourescent pink to go with my underwear"

"well, i can browse the internet with it, it sure is a powerhouse!"

get real.

GJSNeptune said:
Yeah, I know. I just quoted what you said. I realized you're using Firefox now. Just wanted to know why you were so into IE.

Anyway, now I know. :p

Ok I see now. Just looked to me like you were asking sarcastically. :p My fault.

I used to use IE for quick little things, well I had FF for when I needed multiple tabs. IE would open in a snap (FF does now too, though), and I'd go about my merry way checking something in the news, a movie time, or updating XP. Now, the new interface on IE 7 makes it feel bloated, and slow. I dont like it at all. Its like they took Firefox's interface and tried to ad extra glamor or something. It looks fake, and sick.

Ah, back to IE 6 for my every once in a while uses..

FF2 > FF1.5.0.7 > * > IE6 > IE7

I personally can not stand the new IE7 interface, IMHO of course. ;)

It’s Opera all the way for me. I have tried out FF 2 and IE 7 and Opera does better for me. Just having the “Paste and Go” feature in the right click is enough reason to keep Opera as my number one browser to use.

Eww. I hate opera. I have a video of opera trying to load a flash video. It takes so long (with flash and everything updated), that I am able to work my way through the start menu, load up firefox, go to the exact same video, watch the entire video, then close the window before opera even loads.

Plus, operas special features arent really all that exciting. Mouse gestures is kinda nice, but I never got used to using it.. but other then that, things are just useless.

IE7 is an improvement, at least the vast horde of Microserfs will slowly upgrade to a browser which has somewhat increased security.

For anyone that knows anything about computers, there's no point in even having a discussion. A discussion about IE among people who have a clue is more like a circle-jerk.

Hvatum said:
IE7 is an improvement, at least the vast horde of Microserfs will slowly upgrade to a browser which has somewhat increased security.

For anyone that knows anything about computers, there's no point in even having a discussion. A discussion about IE among people who have a clue is more like a circle-jerk.

Firstly, LOL at the honesty of that!

Astrogiblet said:
Eww. I hate opera. I have a video of opera trying to load a flash video. It takes so long (with flash and everything updated), that I am able to work my way through the start menu, load up firefox, go to the exact same video, watch the entire video, then close the window before opera even loads.

Plus, operas special features arent really all that exciting. Mouse gestures is kinda nice, but I never got used to using it.. but other then that, things are just useless.

Secondly, I would LOVE too see that video. I've used Opera before, and while it seemed a bit slower then m tweaked FF 1.5.0.7, I didn't feel it was THAT slow.

Hmm..

Give me a little while to upload it. Make a post tomorrow or something and I'll upload it, as I am ultra busy today and have to go to work. lol.

Naldo said:
Opera would have put the smack down on both of them.

Ha, yeah.. not until I can get things like Adblock Plus, Adblock filterset updater, Fasterfox, VideoDownloader, NoScript, and Flashgot for Opera.

Enjoy your ad-riddled browsing :p

> Enjoy your ad-riddled browsing

Yeah, because Opera doesn't have a content blocker.

Oh, wait it does.

Moron.

eloj said:
> Enjoy your ad-riddled browsing

Yeah, because Opera doesn't have a content blocker.

Oh, wait it does.

Moron.

I'm as much a fan of sarcasm as the next guy, but was that entirely necessary? :rolleyes:

It’s Opera all the way for me. I have tried out FF 2 and IE 7 and Opera does better for me. Just having the “Paste and Go” feature in the right click is enough reason to keep Opera as my number one browser to use.

QFT.

i love paste and go.
and all of the other wonderfullness that opera brings.
i only use firefox to check the weather, because the weather widget i have doesn't work right.

FF2 w/ the Adblock plugin filtering *Intellitxt* is the best browsing experience I've had since advertisers decided to become as intrusive as spammers. Even makes reading forums bearable again! :)

I surf 15 reputable pages so I could care less about any browser other than IE, however I fucking hate how those fuckheads at MS totally change the fucking GUI with an update and a person is faced with yet more undeeded fucking clicking trying to tailor it back to how they fucking had things IF that's possible. this IE 7.0 crap update is the worste for that yet

uninstalled!

EDIT: and yes intellitext is the dumbest shit going

Back