Firefox 1.5 downloadable but not advertised yet??? please confirm for me

jonw757

Gawd
I would like to know this as well. Its on Fileshack, so im thinking its not a RC or BETA.

same link, so it was the legit version before it was announced.. guess we will know this for next time... yay

It checked for extensions that I had that were not compatible and and I had it check for new updates and found them and automatically installed them for me.
Pretty cool

Well, it doesn't work here. In fact, it screwed up so bad that I had to start over completely. It's my worst Firefox experience ever, and I have tried dozens of builds. It ain't ready for prime time, and I don't give a rat's ass what they say over at Mozilla about it. Now I get to spend an hour trying to put 1.07 back like I had it. :mad:

mosin said:
Well, it doesn't work here. In fact, it screwed up so bad that I had to start over completely. It's my worst Firefox experience ever, and I have tried dozens of builds. It ain't ready for prime time, and I don't give a rat's ass what they say over at Mozilla about it. Now I get to spend an hour trying to put 1.07 back like I had it. :mad:
as you restore you last version dont forget to get the
bookmark backup extension. with this installed it makes restoring a flubbed firefox install painless. like 3 mins to restore FF to working condition in my case. now on to my thoughts on 1.5. so far everything works ok all my 20 extensions work fine. only flashblock is hosed.

1.5 and 1.5 RC3 are the EXACT same thing down to the last byte
so if you have 1.5 RC3 already, don't take the time to redownload it
i repeat, EXACT SAME THING DOWN TO THE LAST BIT

flynlr said:
as you restore you last version dont forget to get the
bookmark backup extension. with this installed it makes restoring a flubbed firefox install painless. like 3 mins to restore FF to working condition in my case. now on to my thoughts on 1.5. so far everything works ok all my 20 extensions work fine. only flashblock is hosed.
Yeah, I always do that. This time I lost my passwords, however. That tends to piss me off a little because I can't remember half of them, and can't find the CD that they are on. I know it sounds like the crap my customers pull on me all the time, but it really is aggravating. Meanwhile, I am back to 1.07 with everything intact, except those passwords. Some of my passwords are 36 characters long, and with alt key symbols. At least I remember my mother's maiden name! :D

I remember running one of the 1.5 betas. That thing was buggy as hell. I got so frustrated with it I rolled back to 1.0.7 :(

Running 1.5 right now. So far, so good. All the problems I had seem to be fixed.

killa62 said:
Quoted for Truth (too important to acronym!)

People on digg seem to miss this point alot, some people were even getting mad that 1.5 rc3 is the release build, i mean, it was a release canadate, go figure they would release it!

in any case:
1.5 RC3 == 1.5 Final

I've been using 1.5 for a while now in Deer Park and RC form. Some of the Deer Park builds were rather buggy, but that was expected. I haven't had any trouble with any of the RCs at this point. All my extensions seem to work and only had to update one or two of them. Also, the new update feature is nice. No more having to download the whole file and re-install. A nice little update box appears and you choose whether to update at that time or not. So far, that has worked just fine for me. I'd hate to see it fubar something, though.

Well I didn't have any issues updating Firefox like others have but unfortunately, none of my extensions have updates and most are disabled. I have been meaning to go back and get a few more though. Other than that small thing, it works fine for me. I am still debating on downloading Thunderbird though.

-SB

Has anyone noticed 1.5 is "slower" than 1.07???

It takes awhile just to get started up, and now I'm back to seeing "not loaded" pic boxes sporadically compared to 1.07's best impression of a IE6 instant page load...

mosin said:
Dude...you gotta uninstall the previous version, and preferably remove your profile before installing v.1.5. :p This is clearly user-error, because if you followed the steps above, you wouldn't be crying like a little baby now... :eek:

Dude...you gotta uninstall the previous version, and preferably remove your profile before installing v.1.5. This is clearly user-error, because if you followed the steps above, you wouldn't be crying like a little baby now...

I never uninstalled the previous version or profile at all and other than having to redo/remove some of the extensions, everything worked fine. It could be possible that the copy he downloaded was corrupted one way or another.

As for starting up/lagging in general, I haven't really noticed any real difference, takes about 12 seconds to load (Keep in mind my present computer is absolutely horrid and would make most here weep). I did notice that there is a new type of page error message in this version and every now and then, it shows a "page not found" for sites that never give errors (IE. Google, ect.) but again, that is probably on my end as well.

-SB

killa62 said:

No, they are not. 1.5 final has one or two bugfixes from RC3.

It's also worth downloading 1.5 final so that your FF install will check for final release updates, rather than RC updates, when it comes time for the auto-updater to do its thing.

After getting 1.5, none of the videos on streetfire.net work for me, I'm mad.

EDIT: If you're WMV, QT, or Flash dont work, try uninstalling Adblock, thats what worked for me.

galdoes16 said:
EDIT: If you're WMV, QT, or Flash dont work, try uninstalling Adblock, thats what worked for me.

You shouldn't be using Adblock with 1.5 in the first place. Try Adblock Plus with the Filterset.G definitions and whitelist.

Why do none of the extensons work with 1.5? Im kinda dissapointed by this fact :(

Lazy_Moron said:
Why do none of the extensons work with 1.5? Im kinda dissapointed by this fact :(

Because FF1.5's internal version number is, well, 1.5. Most extensions are coded to work with version 1.0. When the extension developers update their products, you'll be able to get them to work.

In the meantime, install the Nightly Tester Tools extension and use its Make Compatible feature to force your extensions to work with 1.5.

Terpfen said:

It's also worth downloading 1.5 final so that your FF install will check for final release updates, rather than RC updates, when it comes time for the auto-updater to do its thing.
nope, you're wrong
just to prove my point
heres a stolen quote

RC3 build string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

Release build string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

RC3 MD5 hash:

d0cbbd5d8c47fe36ee8f26fb1255838c

Release MD5 hash:

d0cbbd5d8c47fe36ee8f26fb1255838c

RC3 SHA1 hash:

fb6bed8635ff06e76cfde326e8dc5776b4efdb66

Release SHA1 hash:

fb6bed8635ff06e76cfde326e8dc5776b4efdb66

Terpfen said:

Link your proof, eveything up untill this point ive heard is that the strings are the same, along with the md5s

I always wonder for those who have a large monitor, say a Dell 24 or even a Dell 20 wide format LCD. With most web site, you only need 1280 x 512 of space at the most, it's a vertical rectangle of display, for e.g., cnn.com, all the space to your right is useless.

So why don't these web browser co. such as Netscape or Firefox (I won't count on microsoft) create a browser that allows the display of multiple windows like a few big fat wide column on a spreadsheet? That way, if I need to cut & paste text from a web page to a wordprocessor, I can view one software at the left side of the screen, and Wordperfect on the right.

Currently, even to display 1 web page, I have to resize, as the spaces to the right is wasted.

mosin said:
Yeah, I always do that. This time I lost my passwords, however. That tends to piss me off a little because I can't remember half of them, and can't find the CD that they are on. I know it sounds like the crap my customers pull on me all the time, but it really is aggravating. Meanwhile, I am back to 1.07 with everything intact, except those passwords. Some of my passwords are 36 characters long, and with alt key symbols. At least I remember my mother's maiden name! :D

knowing you the previous install was tweaked till it was screaming :p

I just did the upgrade with a few basic extentions and it seems flawless
but then I havent done my pateneted 20 windows open then gag it with a few pdf's yet either

Is anyone else having this problem?

When I type into any kind of a textarea (for instance when posting at forums) I cannot use apostrophes. Whenever I do, Firefox goes into a text search mode (like when you press Ctrl+F). Does anyone know what is wrong or how to fix this?

1tbs4life said:
Is anyone else having this problem?

When I type into any kind of a textarea (for instance when posting at forums) I cannot use apostrophes. Whenever I do, Firefox goes into a text search mode (like when you press Ctrl+F). Does anyone know what is wrong or how to fix this?

Sounds like a bug with the focus code and Find As You Type. This was pretty annoying in the nightly builds for the past few months.

Turn off Find As You Type (Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Begin Finding As You Begin Typing), restart Firefox. Problem solved, though this is just a workaround.

1.5 works great so far for me. Now if Acrobat Reader and Java were better built, I'd be in browsing utopia.

Ice Czar said:
knowing you the previous install was tweaked till it was screaming :p

You would be correct, and 1.07 is screaming once again. Maybe I have all I want from it, so no 1.5 here for awhile.

Terpfen said:
Ok, So why would the change something, but the string in the program, the md5 hashes and eveything else match up between RC3 and final?

Edit: After rereading the link, i dont think they actually fixed anything, Bug #317623 is still shown as NEW and not solved, and it seems like they went with a server side fix rather then a client fix. Hence the RC3 Client and the Final client are the same thing.

Happy Hopping said:

Currently, even to display 1 web page, I have to resize, as the spaces to the right is wasted.
That's why I advocate to at least "center" all web pages so that people on widescreen monitors don't have to look at the left side of their screen all the time. This is very easy to do (I'm an XHTML/CSS coder) and won't take up any valueable time. Sadly, it appears most web developers are fucking lazy to do even this minor tweak... :(

Rombus said:
Edit: After rereading the link, i dont think they actually fixed anything, Bug #317623 is still shown as NEW and not solved, and it seems like they went with a server side fix rather then a client fix. Hence the RC3 Client and the Final client are the same thing.

Then they reopened the bug for the trunk builds, which sometimes happens.

Either way, you should get 1.5 final just to get your copy of Firefox onto the correct auto-update path. RCs will only update when new RCs come out, finals will only update when new finals come out, etc. You could use the Update Channel Selector extension, true, but why would you want to be that lazy?

Back