Firefly - Complete Series. Blu-ray. $13.

Sadly, I can't remember if I already own the Blu-Ray set of this or if I only have the DVDs...

Sadly, I can't remember if I already own the Blu-Ray set of this or if I only have the DVDs...

In that case, buy it anyway! If nothing else, you have a future gift for someone....they'll thank you later :D

14 Episodes is not a complete series. This should be sold as "Firefly: The Incomplete Series. Thank Fox."

It includes all the episodes that were ever produced tho, no?

I just caught the Firefly marathon on the Science channel last week... Got two or three episodes left to go, plus the reunion special and the movie. I can't believe I never caught this show before, even tho I've been hearing about it for years. I can definitely see why people are still lamenting it's demise ten years later, it doesn't even feel the least bit dated! (specially when you think about what was on TV for scifi ten years ago)

I'll probably pick this up, does it include that first two hour episode? I think they never aired that one but Science was showing it during the marathon...

Thanks for the deal. I was always missing out on this deal. Picked this and serenity up for cheap.

Great deal!
I would totally buy this if I didnt have the DVD box set already (and bluray rips from my friend).

well...Just bought this, abe Lincoln vampire hunter 3d, and titanic 3d for 37$ with the sale and the facebook 5$ off promo they currently got running....Seems like a good haul...I hope firefly is good...I bought serenity on hddvd years ago and still have not watched it...

I paid triple this for my set a couple years ago. It was worth it even for that price.

Even if you have never seen the show, buy it. You will not be disappointed.

well...Just bought this, abe Lincoln vampire hunter 3d, and titanic 3d for 37$ with the sale and the facebook 5$ off promo they currently got running....Seems like a good haul...I hope firefly is good...I bought serenity on hddvd years ago and still have not watched it...

Fuck yeah Firefly is good, watch it bitch!

:D

Can't believe I don't have this on DVD. Was going to ask about picture quality, but found this answer further down the amazon page:

On the Blu-ray discs
Firefly has a picture that's a little softer than most Blu-ray discs (especially in the effects shots), but it is an improvement over the DVDs (even in an upconverting DVD player or Blu-ray player), and the punchy sound (DTS HD 5.1 compared to the DVDs' 2.0 surround) is a definite upgrade.

Definitely in for one to match the Serenity BD I already have. Shiny!

Thanks OP!

Last edited:
wow.. did not know firefly was 10 years old. somehow i missed it for the first 5 or so.. Really great show though. Sadly the boxheads at box messed it up.. Furturama reference to fox.

Ok, I want to buy the firefly series, I see there is the series on blu-ray for $13, or DVD for $10.

So is blu-ray done that much better with the series? Did they take the effort to master it properly to take advantage of blu-ray?

Here is the biggest catch though, I currently lack the ability to play blu-ray on anything. I got a friend with a blu-ray computer drive, but we've not been able to get blu-ray movies to play on it, dang copyright software making things difficult.

So, should I buy for DVD and enjoy now, or buy blu-ray for $13 and wait for say next year when maybe I buy a playstation 3 on blackfriday sale. Or should maybe I not buy either, and just wait for till I have something that can do blu-ray, and figure finding another blu-ray set for $13 or so not that hard, maybe even cheaper?

I'd just get the BR and rip it on your friend's drive or get yourself a drive for $50 or whatever later on. what I've read the conversion's a pretty good one.

makemkv is not free from what I could find, well, free for 30 days in a trial. And it sounds like ripping it to hard drive really takes alot of space too, so its not like I could put alot of blue rays on my HDD for long term.

And is $13 for blu-ray a pretty special price? Or could I wait to buy for a latter date and still get a price around that or better?

I'm not big on helping the lazy, and I think the deal is over anyway, but yeah... $13 was the lowest it's ever been on Amazon, Camelcamelcamel is your friend:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Firefly-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/product/B001EN71CW

Average is $26 and it's only ever dipped under $20 twice (in the past year). 3rd party/merchant average is a little lower but follows the same general tend. Even the current price of $16 is still pretty good. If you're just gonna rip it to your HD for casual viewing you can obviously compress it into a much more space efficient format.

It's only 4 discs btw and only three contain actual episodes I think, the series only ran for one season y'know...

Nope... Just someone who expects the quality of a 10 year old show on blue ray to reflect that it is a 10 year old show..

I've seen 30 year old movies that look better than the shit that's being produced today.

I've seen 30 year old movies that look better than the shit that's being produced today.

Exactly.

I think people are really asking... is this BR copy significantly better than the DVD transfer? I know a few people out there own the DVD version and want to know if it's worth the "upgrade".

Indeed, 35mm has legs.

As for the original question, check this out:

In comparing the Blu-ray version to "Firefly" on DVD, this set offers a clear upgrade over the blurred and displeasing standard definition image. Sharpness, detail and color reproduction are vastly surperior while helping to preserve the film-like look that the show aspired to. "Firefly" on Blu-ray is clearly the best that this show will ever look. Recommended.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Firefly-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/815/

This is what convinced me to spend the $17 last week.

It's not a bad transfer. Have it both on BR and DVD. World's better than the DVD. It is a dated movie and the better the transfer the more digital the CGI looks. At least on DVD, the CGI would leave it to the imagination to fill in the blanks.

It's not like there's a ton of CGI in the show anyway, it's mostly some outside ship fades in between scenes and the occasional backdrop.

note for anyone that doesn't know already:

The CGI in this show was originally mastered in SD. The CGI was not re-mastered in HD for this. There is a bit of a bitrate upgrade for the CGI scenes, but no resolution upgrade. Its likely the raw files from which an HD master could be made don't even exist anymore. It was made cheap.

note for anyone that doesn't know already:

The CGI in this show was originally mastered in SD. The CGI was not re-mastered in HD for this. There is a bit of a bitrate upgrade for the CGI scenes, but no resolution upgrade. Its likely the raw files from which an HD master could be made don't even exist anymore. It was made cheap.

So depressing, isn't it. But it is what it is and I still love the show. Bought it on DVD and then bought it again on Blu-ray last year. No regrets with either purchase. The Blu-ray looks great and is a significant upgrade, even in the scenes with CGI, but you should be aware of the issues with the CGI footage.

makemkv is not free from what I could find, well, free for 30 days in a trial. And it sounds like ripping it to hard drive really takes alot of space too, so its not like I could put alot of blue rays on my HDD for long term.

And is $13 for blu-ray a pretty special price? Or could I wait to buy for a latter date and still get a price around that or better?

MakeMKV is free until it's not. They release a new 30 day code every month or so, and claim that they will continue to do so until it's out of beta.

As far as ripping Blu-ray content, movies range anywhere from 15-40 gigs, with your 45-60 minute TV shows coming in at around 8-10 gigs per episode. I don't think it's too bad, provided another Tsunami doesn't wipe out hard drive manufacturing capacity again. I think I get around 70-80 movies to a 2TB hard drive. That is just using MakeMKV to dump the video and audio (DTS-MA/TrueHD/Lossless + core audio) and subtitles into a container. No further compression.

Back