"FireFall" Out of Beta! Early Access 7/15 and Open/Steam release 7/29!

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
It has been a long road over the past few years, but the free-to-play twitch first/third person shooter MMO, FireFall, is just about to leave beta!

http://www.firefallthegame.com

Since 2012 (or even earlier), FireFall has been open to players in one form or another; unlike so many games today where "beta" is a marketing opportunity more than anything, FireFall has run a true beta program and has evolved considerably over the years. Whole game systems have changed, been streamlined, improved, and overall made more accessible and fun. Along the way, they offered a wide variety of cosmetic special items, earned in game or available as bonuses for supporting the title by making a purchase of real-money-currency. There are far too many changes for me to list, and I admit I've been an occasional player more than a constant one, but there has been a huge expansion of content!

FireFall is finally about to release its 1.0 version and will do so in a staggered release of sorts. On July 15th (ie Today!), anyone who A) had a FireFall account created prior to July 8th 2014 or B) purchases one of the Launch Bundles - more on them later - will be able to log in and play immediately! If you were in any of the betas etc... you not only count, but probably also have a bunch of special items waiting in your mailbox! You won't lose any of your progression since the very earliest days of Beta either, but since they've totally redone equipment and whatnot you'll have a lot of junk to salvage for extra currency! If you've not played in a long time, be ready to ask the community or browse around as much as changed!

On July 29th FireFall will enter full release! Players will be able to create new accounts openly (without needing to purchase one of the Launch bundles) and this will also be the day when the game will appear on Steam , free to play! Of course, you're welcome to use both the direct download client/launcher and the Steam version when it arrives, if you wish.

Keeping in tradition from the past few years, Red5 studios have created a set of special content bundles to commemorate the launch. Purchasing one of them will enable users who don't already have a FireFall game account prior to July 8th (ie not in any of the beta phases etc..) to create one during the "early access" period, starting immediately when the server comes up tomorrow. Of course, those with existing FireFall accounts can still purchase the Launch bundles if they wish to support the game and unlock the new content permanently for their account. The contents and prices of the pack are as follows, and here's a link to them as well

http://www.firefallthegame.com/earlyaccess

Digital Starter Pack - $30

Exclusive Warpaint (A special choice of colors to apply to any/all of your battleframes. Reusable an unlimited amount of time)
30 Days of VIP Membership ( VIP membership grants significant boosts to resource and convenience boosts in game including increased XP, currency gain, more slots for crafting, a special "glider" launch pad and more. Note that VIP boosts stack with all other boosts found in game)
100 Red Beans (This is the in-game currency, used to purchase an assortment of cosmetic content.)
Downloadable Soundtrack and Concept Art Booklet
Exclusive Title ( Players can utilize any title they have unlocked at will.)
***Bonus Pet - If purchased before July 29th***

Digital Deluxe Pack - $100

Exclusive 2-person vehicle (the first of a new class of multi-person mounts. There's actually a fair bit of new mount-specific content in game, like races and whatnot, in addition to open use driving just about everywhere. Vehicles add to on foot travel, jetpack, and glider use and all are equally viable for different usages)
Exclusive Warpaint (Same as above)
90 Days of VIP membership (Same benefits as above, but for 90 days instead of 30!)
200 Red Beans (Same as above, more currency!)
All Advanced Battleframes Unlocked (This, along with the exclusive vehicle, is the big benefit to the package. From the start you normally will only have access to the basic battleframe of each type. Each role has at least 2 advanced frames that normally need special tokens or licenses earned through play to unlock, but if you purchase this you'll be able to use them all from the start! )
Downloadable Soundtrack and Concept Art Booklet
TWO Exclusive in-game titles ( Both the special Starter pack title, plus a unique one just for being Deluxe!
***Bonus Pet - If purchased before July 29th***

For some it may be a first look, for some a return for a second, but hope this helps anyone interested in FireFall! Enjoy!

They finally get rid of their CEO and the game finally releases, good move on their part,

never even heard of this, but it does look interesting..

I played the game but don't know about how many people will play it since the Beta was kinda empty might have to reinstall the game I really like the atmosphere of the game and big ass jetpacks.

Oh it's going on Steam I'll be there =) If a game doesn't have active chat for a MMO I hate it.

You guys should check out the history of this game it went through development hell. It's cool to see it finally release.

Sweet! - I've been wanting the sound track for this game..LoL. The music is pretty cool.

You guys should check out the history of this game it went through development hell. It's cool to see it finally release.

I preordered this game for beta access years ago. It was a train wreck. I wish them the best but if the finished game resembles anything I played the servers will be shutdown within a year or two. Extremely boring.

I preordered this game for beta access years ago. It was a train wreck. I wish them the best but if the finished game resembles anything I played the servers will be shutdown within a year or two. Extremely boring.

I read up on that since just now finding out about it. Seems a lot of folks say it has completely 180'd. Ima give it a try and i dont bother with MMO's lightly at all.

I'd say the fact this company has been staying the course through thick and thin since 2006 shows they at least have some dedicated folks behind it. Hard to admit failure on a design and be willing to uproot it and revamp everything.

Hrm, I remember hearing about this game years ago, but I've not followed the development.

Anyone been involved in the recent beta have opinions on it?

Debating going in for the 30 dollar early access to provide support if they deserve it. Been looking for something new to play anyway, this might be fun.

I was following this game a few years ago and it looked interesting, I might have to pull the trigger on this and try it out. I like the concept of fps mmo's but I haven't ran across a decent one since way back when Neocron was released.

Everyone who heard about/played the game at some time in the past should likely give it a try again. It is a very different and expanded game than it was during most of its life in the Beta phases. (ie There are now "story" quests, equipment and progression has been COMPLETELY overhauled - if you have a beta character, you'll probably have an inventory full of old items tagged with "Hey, you can basically salvage these for money and resources, they were made for the old system"). Definitely give it another try.

Everyone should check out the new website I think and read up on the game itself. Veterans from beta should especially pay attention to the "News" posts marked "Path to Launch". There are 6 or so of them over the past month or two, that describe some of the new systems in more depth. Further more,on the homepage there's a link to "check out FireFall's new features", which may be enlightening.

Oh, for those interested, FireFall supports UI Mod/Addon customization! There's a forum dedicated to it and Curse.com has a pretty decent repository. However, I suggest waiting to be sure any new mods are updated for 1.0 release, just to make sure!

For newcomers and those interested, let me know and I'll try and give answer any questions you may have.

EDIT: Steam-lovers rejoice! Even though FireFall is not yet "openly" available on Steam to everyone until the 29th, those with either Beta Accounts (Pre July 8th 2014) or newcomers who have a Launch Pack, CAN play on Steam today! Info from the Steam community...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/227700/discussions/0/46476691392448649/

There will be instructions posted to get access to downloading the Steam client today, when the servers come up!

Last edited:
Yes indeed, 4saken - That's the proper link!

Given that today's launch version of the game, 1.0 comes with a whole host of new stuff (a dev said last night that even the highlights of the patch notes comes to like 15 pages of word documents, and that's without all the minor stuff ) I don't think there's yet anything (user made) that is brand new and completely up to date. Checking out the main website and the official forums are a good place to go; there's even a newcomer forum. Make sure to look over some of the news posts and whatnot - one thing about Firefall is they are constantly running live events in game, often with unique rewards! For instance, here's a forum post about an upcoming special event that starts on the 18th -
http://forums.firefallthegame.com/c...th-oceanic-gmt-and-pdt-edt-timeslots.4102721/ - unlike many games, the devs often have an in-game presence for events and whatnot, and can be identified in chat with a red-colored "5" next to their name.

In game (at least as of the last few days. Prior to the last 2 or 3 days I've not played for months!), the tutorial system has been updated considerably from the old days, and there are now a bunch of in-world explanations for many game systems (for instance, little robots next to various items like the Battleframe Garage and New You stations, which explain exactly what these features are and how to use them). Don't forget to run your tutorial and story missions - these will unlock a variety of things for you and introduce you to new concepts. There is content for nearly every play style from soloing, to group PVE, PVP, and all sorts of dynamic events. Start with that in game, don't be afraid to ask questions too. Also, Red5 is starting a "Mentor" system so look for people with a little green "apple" next to their name in chat, as they're noted to be especially willing to help. Here's the new user forums too - http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/forums/new-user-help-introductions.341/ . There are also third party sources of info such as fansites and whatnot. Errer posted a good link to the official FireFall sub-reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/firefall - , which is a good place to check out too.

When you're starting out, its important to know that you can basically...eventually...do everything on one character! You can always swap out to another Battleframe (which defines your class so to speak, which sorts of abilities and weapons you can use at that given time), and XP you gain on that frame is unique and can be put towards its upgrade. Of course, currency in game called Crystite (and a whole huge assortment of crafting resources - there's a very comprehensive crafting system which will enable you to build upgrades, new weapons and much more) will persist and can be used on a variety of things. Don't be afraid to swap around and decide which roles you think you'd like to concentrate on the most, but realize you're not going to "waste" any XP or anything like that. There are an ever expanding number of "Advanced Battleframes" which are typically specialty versions of each classes role, and these can be unlocked later on by leveling up the Basic frame of that type (amongst other ways, including many for "free" in game). OF course, if you bought the Deluxe pack you'll have full access to all the current Advanced frames from the very start, but realize that without them you're not handicapped or anything. In the future there will be even further developed "tiers" of new battleframes.

Feel free to keep the questions coming and I'll do my best.

They originally planned to have 1.0 up for play a bit earlier today by the way, but they've had to extend the downtime. However, updates have shown that it should likely come up this afternoon/evening barring any further issues.

Last edited:
I got into the Firefall beta around 3 years ago lol. Played it very sparingly, it was a lot of fun but there just wasn't a lot of content. Their idea of content is farming horde mode thumpers all day long.

I hear the release version of Firefall will have x12 the content of the beta, so here's hoping it'll keep me entertained for more than a week.

So pay $30...

but then it has Pay to Play options

30 Days of VIP Membership ( VIP membership grants significant boosts to resource and convenience boosts in game including increased XP, currency gain, more slots for crafting, a special "glider" launch pad and more. Note that VIP boosts stack with all other boosts found in game)

So pay $30...

but then it has Pay to Play options

The 30 is a special package for some exclusive cosmetic stuff and other bonuses, as well as to give immediate access to those without existing accounts. If you don't mind waiting until the 29th, or if you ever had a FireFall account in the past, you can play now without buying any package.

Those that know my posts generally know my vehement distaste for any monetization schemes that I perceive as player-hostile, overly expensive etc... but so far it doesn't seem that FireFall is a part of that paradigm. The game is entirely free to play (and doesn't seem to wall off different content behind paywalls), so I understand they need to make money somewhere, so Red5 has generally decided on a decent setup "pay for boosts/convenience" and "pay for some cosmetics".

The VIP program is one of those "boosts" and it seems to be done rather well. There are actually plenty of other things in the game you can get to unlock boosts, many of them freely from gameplay (ie holding a certain tower/location means XP and resources of all players go up as long as it is held). Sure, you can buy VIP time in blocks, or win it randomly by playing, players can also trade certain VIP time items on the marketplace. Provided a company doesn't make the game inordinately hard or grindy without the boosts/convienience items, its actually my preferred "free to play" monetization strategy.

I have less tolerance for cosmetic item sales, but given the game is F2P it seems overall that FireFall isn't exploitative the way many titles are in this regard. You can earn a great deal of cosmetics in game or through free gameplay, time-limited yet free promotions, but some of them do require some sort of payment These tend to further break down into "epic" items that are included as part of special packages (for instance, I bought a Commander package a couple years ago that has given me a special decal, mask, vehicle etc.. that are no longer available. Today, the Launch Starter or Deluxe packages have a color scheme that will only be granted to those who purchased the package when they are available)) or other circumstances, and "normal" ones that are always available on the RedBean store. Pricing seems to be fairly reasonable and unlocks that you actually pay for are nearly always permanent. Furthermore, they seem to offer special bonuses for say...choosing to buy in-game currency. Case in point, if you buy a Red Bean package, you'll get Red Bean Reward Tokens for free that can be spent on in-game vending machines that are guaranteed to grant you at least one rare/epic cosmetic along with 3 or 4 other rare, uncommon ,or common bonuses.

I'll have to see how things evolve at launch and beyond, but it doesn't seem to me to be a Pay to Play system and that Red5 seems to have realized that greedy implementations turn players off. I'll be watching carefully if this changes.

Edit: 1.0 Early Access is up by the way! Enjoy! Read here and get started -

http://www.firefallthegame.com/news/firefall-s-early-access-period-is-now-live

Last edited:
How large is the upgrade from beta??

I don't want to dl all night etc.

How large is the upgrade from beta??

I don't want to dl all night etc.

It really depends on when you last played, how much patching needs to be done. Its considerable, I'll imagine. If you've not played in the few months or so, I expect it may be a relatively large update. A fresh install may be worth it, if you haven't played in the past few months. Steam shows the total fresh on-desk size at around 12gb, but you maybe downloading a bit less due to compression.

only got about 1.5 hours in last night, but enjoying it so far. Very interesting concept overall. I am so very burnt on MMOs of any sort that its surprising i actually like it.

I played the beta a good deal before the materials reconfiguration. I had a lot of good minerals but they were then kind of shit then. I did have 2 level 2 suits though which was good. And the newer version at that time did include a lot more missiony type things to do. Stuff that was hard enough that you could NOT solo it, as opposed to the previous iteration where you could solo just about everything except the tornadoes.

What turned me off was the map size. It was just one map. There was no where else to go and the way it instanced the zone was weird. You could log out of a full map and come back and it would be empty cause you were in a different instance. I never read into this as I was getting bored with it, but the instancing was just an assumption of what it was actually doing. I don't know if I was right or not.

NM. Answered my own question

I'm bumping this thread because this game deserves more attention etc....

Well I gave it the old college try and my final assumption is meh...it has potential but as of right now I don't like it and I don't say that often. My main gripe is the Job Board...It's like they took every lazy idea from every mmo developer and took it to the next level. The job board completely destroys any sort of immersion for me. No random quests while out exploring, no random npc walking around the city with a mission for you, just the job board. I do like the graphics and soundtrack though.

Well I gave it the old college try and my final assumption is meh...it has potential but as of right now I don't like it and I don't say that often. My main gripe is the Job Board...It's like they took every lazy idea from every mmo developer and took it to the next level. The job board completely destroys any sort of immersion for me. No random quests while out exploring, no random npc walking around the city with a mission for you, just the job board. I do like the graphics and soundtrack though.

The main activity in closed beta was thumper farming. Not sure how it is now, you should try some of that. You search the land for a nice farming spot, then call down your thumper and defend it while it harvest resources.

Pull your map up, there are random events all over. They're typically pick up parts for a downed thumper or guard a motorcycle while the operator does something to it. There used to be invasions from the enemy factions but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. There are also the tornadoes to fight. The enemy used to capture control towers too and you had to go retake it. Those were tough. Not as tough as the tornadoes but still pretty hard.

Yes indeed, there are absolutely dynamic events that happen randomly in game. Invasions are coming back again in enhanced forms; for now they can take over outposts and whatnot. The game used to be very "random event" heavy in beta, so the inclusion of "pick up quest, go and do it" along with main story quests is relatively new and for many, a great addition. There will also be a lot more random NPCs with quests; in fact, I believe they're rolling out some of them this weekend according to a dev post I saw about the opening of a newly redone area. That's another thing to remember - they're still increasing the viable game area significantly; areas that seem to be permanently behind a Melding wall are revealed over time and as development continues.

I hope everyone can find variety and fun in game, but if it isn't quite up to your experience now keep your eyes open - lets not forget this is truly the "first public release", and there's still a lot of refinement and expansion to do.

how long have they been working on this game?

it's like duke nukem / apb

I remember some star wars the old republic podcast guys talking about this game BEFORE swtor came out.

Got my beta Bastion to level 40 on Friday, not sure where to get mats for lvl 40 equipment tho.

I can't say i have any frames to Level 40 yet so I'm not sure about where to find high-end materials, but I'd look towards the more dangerous areas and consider thumping out there, as well as dynamic events rated for difficulty. Of course, player-to-player sales can be useful, as can just plain asking the zone where to find X material.

Oh! Red5 has announced a significant assortment of bonuses to coincide with early access and will continue through launch! For instance, Beta players who log in will be granted a 7 day VIP credit for free, as well as a Red Panda pet and the title "Unbroken". Also, everyone regardless of when they join will get a bonus "level up welcome package" the first time you get a battleframe to a certain level, starting at 4 and ending at 40! This is the "Dawn of Hope" event - http://www.firefallthegame.com/news/dawn-of-hope

Don't forget, if you're thinking about buying a Launch Pack (Starter or Deluxe), doing so before the true launch on the 29th, will get you an exclusive pet.

Oh and they've even detailed a new Path to Launch blog entry. This one is about, "Titans", FireFall's brand new "raid" content.

I'll try this game again on the 29th no way in hell am I going to pay =)

If "again" means you played before at any time during its development prior to July 8th, 2014, even years ago, you can play now and for free! On top of that, you'll receive at least the 7 days VIP token, Unbroken title, and Red Panda pet, with the possibility of lots more stuff depending on how old your account is (for instance, if your account is older than a few months, you'll likely get another 7 day VIP token and a bunch of hourly boosts to all kinds of things. These were granted when, during beta they entirely revamped the earliest gear/progression system to the one that became the prototype for the current paradigm) and how far you got in the past.

Just log into the FireFall site on your account and it will have links to download on Steam (or manually) if you wish. Accounts and player characters persist, even from years back. Hope this helps!

Been having a lot of fun with this game! Finally got my motorcycle recipe last night and it will be waiting for me when I log in this evening.

Recluse is so fucking powerful it's nuts!

Been having a lot of fun with this game! Finally got my motorcycle recipe last night and it will be waiting for me when I log in this evening.

Recluse is so fucking powerful it's nuts!

Congratulations! Unlocking the complete recipe and finding all the pieces to the motorcycle is a great feat!

For anyone considering purchasing a Starter or Deluxe pack, I encourage you to do so soon to qualify for the free bonus "Little Claw" pet! A Red5 rep told me " The Little Claw pet promotion is active through the 29th (GMT), so it will be included in any packs bought before 5:00pm PDT on July 29th." Time is counting down though, if you were interested!

Any idea what time the F2P will open up tomorrow? or if I can download the client tonight so it's ready in advance?

I'm not sure about the time specifically, but if you use the following link it should have Steam install it... steam://run/227700

Hopefully it will work for you tonight so you can download in advance.

I can't say i have any frames to Level 40 yet so I'm not sure about where to find high-end materials, but I'd look towards the more dangerous areas and consider thumping out there, as well as dynamic events rated for difficulty. Of course, player-to-player sales can be useful, as can just plain asking the zone where to find X material. QUOTE]

If you haven't tried thumping near the melding in the high end areas, it's a blast / chaotic / insane. Waves of baddies showing up so fast that we could barely keep up with them.

Wow, the Firefall website shows I have had my account for almost 3 years :eek:

I have been having fun playing the last few days - does anyone have a good group/Army going? Should we create a [H] Army?

Back