Firefall - New MMO Shooter

Is this some kind of spam?

Who the hell is red 5 studios.

After doing some googlig it look like they are from wow that got fired and they never made a game themselves before.

After doing some googlig it look like they are from wow that got fired and they never made a game themselves before.

???

Its a new studio making a new game. And it looks interesting thx OP.

What the fuck?

Did you not read the article I linked? I just wanted to start a thread to let other people know that the game was announced today.

Looks badass. I love the graphical style. It's like Borderlands meets an MMO.

Looks badass. I love the graphical style. It's like Borderlands meets an MMO.

I'd say more like tribes with an mmo aspect. only thing that makes it similar to borderlands is the gfx style. But gfx dont make a game. Regardless this game looks great. The price tag is nice too.

That gameplay video actually looked pretty good. It's also going to be against other players, right? Not just PvE?

I have to say the art style leaves something to be desired IMO - Anime characters never did it for me. (what is it with their shoes being bigger than their torso? wtf?) But the graphic implementation looks fantastic - animation, models, effects, etc.

And that gameplay was awesome. That kind of thing is exactly what I want to see out of a game preview... example of real gameplay (the mission they did), a little in-game cinematography (the shuttle ride), and plenty of action... seems like that is how the game would really be played once bought. I like that. This gets a thumbs up from me. Cant wait to see it released.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30266/Red_5_Studios_Announces_FreetoPlay_MMO_Firefall.php

So this is what Red 5 Studios has been working on the last few years. Looks very interesting. There's a 10 minute gameplay video on the official site.

Wow, I am really impressed by that 10 minute videoclip. Man, it has the feel of Planetside as well, lots of great influences in this game. This is definitely being stickied in my book marks.

Its funny how long its taken someone to do this. one of the first ive seen done "right". where its kind of just seamless, like you really are existing on a large planet with others and you can just sort of hop into whatever the hell you want. Looks promising thats for sure.

Wow, I am really impressed by that 10 minute videoclip. Man, it has the feel of Planetside as well, lots of great influences in this game. This is definitely being stickied in my book marks.

I don't think it will match Planetside. It looks more like WoW + Tribes... Probably instanced gameplay.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but so far all these "MMOFPS" can't even do 32 people fighting on the same level. I kind of wanted to try out MAG for PS3 but I don't own a PS3 so meh.

After getting more into game development I can see how difficult Planetside was for it's time. It's pretty astounding it worked as well as it did. There was a lot of lag / glitches and during massive battles it was pretty ridiculous, it was still so much fun.

I was way more impressed than I thought I would be. Looks pretty interesting, gonna keep an eye on it.

I haven't played any game more than I played Tribes, except for WoW...so I'm reaaaally excited. :)

Seems like it's all PVE from their homepage's description.

Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT.

FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH

Planetside was awesome since it was mostly about PVP and you could join one of three factions to fight against the other. This seems like an mmo version of Borderlands where there is only one faction and you do pve all day long. Might still be fun but I need some PVP action to really be interested in this. If they do put in any PVP it'll most likely be like Wow's battlegrounds or arenas.

Bring back Planetside! Massive battles with three factions trying to take over a base complete with player controlled tanks, helicoptors, mechs was extremely fun.

Edit: Hmm, didnt see that it was free to play lol. Hard to argue with free.

Last edited:
Looks fairly good actually, I'm not one for the large clunky suits all UT3 style but if there's a sort of ninja/stealth person who is a bit slimmer or something like that, I think i'd be on board.

Although I'm really still holding out for planetside 2, I prefer a large persistant world where there's loads of player fighting over resources etc.

*edit*

interesting that it uses a modified version of the offset engine...does anyone know a link for the PAX commentary version of the vid?

Bring back Planetside! Massive battles with three factions trying to take over a base complete with player controlled tanks, helicoptors, mechs was extremely fun.

Edit: Hmm, didnt see that it was free to play lol. Hard to argue with free.

Planetside 2 was announced a while back FYI :)

Firefall is free to play but will be supported with microtransactions, so in all probability all the best armour and weapons and stuff will cost a bunch of money all added together, I don't think that's going to work very well personally.

SciFi themed fps mmo's are in very short supply. If the guy from Tribes is making this than it will be good. The gameplay video looked really nice. To hell with WoW :p

SciFi themed fps mmo's are in very short supply. If the guy from Tribes is making this than it will be good. The gameplay video looked really nice. To hell with WoW :p

Amen brother.

KatalDT said:
Awww.. I read the title quickly and thought it said "Firefly".
I would give my left nut to have a Firefly mmo:(

yeah ill be watching this one, but from what i have seen the world design looks exactly like wow.

Saw the gameplay video yesterday. This game looks awesome and with it running the Offset engine makes me even more excited to see how it performs.

This looks pretty awesome imo. I registered with the site for the beta. I'm in for this when it comes out but I just wish they would charge for the game I hate microtransaction korean bullshit. When will they learn this isn't asia we don't go for that nonsense. /sigh

Pumped for this. I've been waiting for a large scale FPS since Joint-Ops. I'm usually not a fan of micro-transactions, but if it's like LoL, it'll be great.

It looks awesome, but I too am a little worried about the microtransaction bit, they say they won't sell anything that will compromise the skill-based aspect of the game, but what will they sell then? Are they going with the limited mount/mini-pet thing that WoW does? I've never purchased any of those things in WoW.

The gameplay reel was pretty impressive. But lets see if it can deliver under the stresses of a major release.

Also, it's not really an MMO. From the FAQ:
Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

Last edited:
It looks awesome, but I too am a little worried about the microtransaction bit, they say they won't sell anything that will compromise the skill-based aspect of the game, but what will they sell then? Are they going with the limited mount/mini-pet thing that WoW does? I've never purchased any of those things in WoW.

The problem is that with western MMOs, they're still used to the $15/month standard for triple-A titles.

It seems more like a game that isn't triple-A (and they realize that after doing production) gets stuck with microtransactions because they don't think the $15 a month will fly.

What we need is a great quality MMO with microtransactions to see if it will actually catch on in the US.

Hmm if it's not really an MMO, then will they charge monthly? If not, that'd be sweet.

They already said it's free-to-play... I also heard free-to-download but I could be wrong.

Supposedly they want to rely on a marketplace where you spend money to buy equipment, which you can earn in-game too but it would take longer.

Back