Fired Reddit Exec Launches A Warmer, Fuzzier Reddit

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Here comes a version of the news site for the easily offended. I’ve also found that positivity at reddit means that you better submit to popular opinion or you’re being downvoted, so I think this will be an even bigger circle jerk than the original.

Dan McComas, the former second-in-command at Reddit — and vocal critic of its more inflammatory groups — wants to build a better Reddit, one that focuses on “healthy, positive communities.” McComas, as you may remember, was let go — along with Victoria Taylor — in a controversial move that was met with resistance, and ultimately protest, by much of Reddit’s staff and userbase. Some of the biggest names in tech are coming to TNW Conference in Amsterdam this May. McComas has since raised about $3 million for his new site, ‘Imzy,’ which launched earlier this year. Currently, the site has groups dedicated to video games, music, movies and over 400 others.

Come join in a "healthy and positive" community....LOL

I see that as an obvious $3 million waste of money. It will be dead in a year.

Its funny that he wants to make a reddit that doesn't do "reddit." Like a game that isn't a g..... oh wait.

Like a bar advertizing, we've replaced your hard liquor with soft drinks, but we're still the same. It will only live as long as the investor money holds out.

A social website without catering to the lowest common denominator of immature 12 year olds and other dregs of society? Doesn't exactly sound thought out.

Bombs are flying
People are dying
Children are crying
Politicians are lying, too
Cancer is killing
Texaco's spilling
The whole world's gone to hell, but how are you?

I AM SUPER, THANKS FOR ASKING

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
I COULDN'T BE BETTER , I MUST SAY!

I'M FEELING SUPER
NO, NOTHING BUGS ME
EVERYTHING IS SUPER WHEN YOU'RE...

Don't you think I look cute in this hat?

I don't want to live in a world without dissenting opinions and lively debate. It's too easy to surround yourself with parrots on the internet as it is.
I avoid echo chambers like the plague. I don't care to hear my own opinion repeated back at me over and over again. At the very least, it is boring.

They tried to make reddit a safer space for the portly sjws, now the old exec is trying to further the sjw echo chamber market.
Cultivating an echo chamber sounds like a great, sustainable business model.

They tried to make reddit a safer space for the portly sjws
Not just for them, but for advertisers.

The userbase just wants a platform where they can talk and read about crap that interests them. But advertisers *WANT* bland SJW safe-spaces that are non-controversial. Intel doesn't want to be advertising its processors in a controversial heated thread talking about immigration reform and the mass outsourcing of jobs by companies like Intel with people freely speaking their minds with little filter. They would much rather have their advertisements next to bland everyday heavily filtered content.

So a lot of it is just a problem with conflict of interest over the wants of the userbase and the desire of the owners to turn it into a cash cow ad delivery platform.

It is funny on Reddit if you post some stupid pandering nonsense that you know everyone will upvote.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back