Firebox x700 with monowall, can I stick pfense on it instead?

dle1232003

n00b
I am watching a firebox on ebay that ends later on today, its still on a low bid, and Im thinking of getting it, however the seller writes that:

The box was given to him off a friend, who installed m0n0wall onto the box, and needs configuring as he never used the box, also the screen needs configuring to m0nowall too.

However I was hoping to foray into learning pfense, and using this at home,

So quick question, if I get the box, can I just install pfense over the top of the m0n0wall, or is a pain to do etc? Im not scared to get my hands dirty etc, also is a branded firebox serial cable needed?

Thanks guys.

Monowall looks pretty similar to pfSense. Might want to give it a spin. I dont know about the serial cable pinout but i BELIEVE it's standard. changing the OS is kindof a pain if you want to keep it on a CF card. But that unit has a 2.5" drive caddy in it that makes it somewhat easier.

I might do, just from the quick glimpses i've seen of it, i like the look of pfense, plus a lot more people (although this is what I've noticed from threads) use pfense, rather than m0n0wall, so if I became stuck anywhere, then I could always get help off someone for it. :)

thanks, just to clear up as my original wording wasnt the best, when I say install pfense over the top of m0n0wall, I mean replace it as the software of choice.

from what I recall pFsense is a spinoff of m0n0wall. I'm pretty sure they offer embedded solutions.

The link below is a link to the Hardware section of the pfSense forums. You will find a lot more information there.

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=04b421adca4ac2112ed1186ea6b69d65&board=5.0

Also, try #pfsense on Freenode IRC

thanks, sorry to say I didnt win the box off ebay anyhow, guess gives me a bit more time to read up on the product, plus im proud of myself for sticking to my budget for once. As I've been spending way to much money on ebay recently

On another pc that has to have 2+ nics.

It is easier to make your own keyboard cable, throw a video nic - connect a cd-rom via the IDE cable and install it onto the hard drive.

Even if this is true, and I don't see why it would be, putting two NICs in a machine is way easier than building a keyboard cable, and shimming a video card and CDROM into the Firebox. I don't know about you, but I have stacks of spare NICs around, it's a 30s modification.

And I don't think it should be necessary anyway. Burn the image with physdiskwrite. You may need to actually boot it and slightly modify the config file so that it brings up an interface on first boot for you to configure it from, but that's not hard.

It is easier to make your own keyboard cable, throw a video nic - connect a cd-rom via the IDE cable and install it onto the hard drive.

make a what what and do a what now?

confused, im glad I didnt buy it, deffo going to do some reading up on this first.

It's actually quite simple. I've done it to two x700s and a x750e. There are many ways to do it. There are drivers for the x700's LCD for pfsense too.

It's actually quite simple. I've done it to two x700s and a x750e. There are many ways to do it. There are drivers for the x700's LCD for pfsense too.

see thats the kind of answer I was looking for, :) just need a job now to support my lust for all this networking equipment

thanks, just to clear up as my original wording wasnt the best, when I say install pfense over the top of m0n0wall, I mean replace it as the software of choice.

Kinda like changing the OS of your computer...begin the install, wipe out whatever is on the drive...kinda delete partition, recreate partition, format...install.

Kinda like changing the OS of your computer...begin the install, wipe out whatever is on the drive...kinda delete partition, recreate partition, format...install.

ahh thats easy enough, dont get me wrong, im not a complete beginner, etc, its just I've read different ways of doing it when I had a brief look, and because your replacing the firmware on the firebox, with m0n0wall, I wasnt sure if it would accept been deleted and another put on.

Back