Fire TV + HDHomerun?

whrswoldo

2[H]4U
Has anyone used Amazon's Fire TV with the HDHomerun app to watch live TV? The app's a little clunky, but I have no problems using it to watch TV on my Nexus 7. Based on my limited research the Fire TV appears to have a more powerful processor so I would assume it would be at least on par performance wise, but I'm not sure about compatibility. Thanks in advance!

The device can't hack the MPEG2 stream for HD. Basically the App is meant for their tuner with h.264 compression. The Fire might be powerful for an Android device. That isn't saying much I think the main reason Android devices render anything decently is if they have dedicated chipset to do video, usually something like H.264 is supported and MPEG2 likely not

Checking, the Nexus 7 has MPEG-TS support which carries MPEG2 while Fire TV does not. So it the onboard video chipset in the Fire that is lacking.

The device can't hack the MPEG2 stream for HD. Basically the App is meant for their tuner with h.264 compression. The Fire might be powerful for an Android device. That isn't saying much I think the main reason Android devices render anything decently is if they have dedicated chipset to do video, usually something like H.264 is supported and MPEG2 likely not

Checking, the Nexus 7 has MPEG-TS support which carries MPEG2 while Fire TV does not. So it the onboard video chipset in the Fire that is lacking.

Dang, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll keep looking :)

Back