Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

So I checked out videos showcasing this video and it brings back a lot of good memory's from FF Tactics (such an amazing game).

Do you guys think that since I love FF Tactics and the new XCOM (I prefer more memorable characters though and purchasable or find able loot) that I would love this series of games? I'm also really into Metrovania styled games (like SOTY).

Is the 3DS with it for me or does it have more than just Fire Emblem that will quench my thirst for these kind of games (which they don't seem to make on more modern consoles anymore)?

There isn't much metrovania or loot in this game. difficult battles with good battle mechanics and a fair story line on handheld are what this offers.

One of its sad strengths is its lack of competition. Square gave up on making great games like FFT. Atlus stepped in a bit with Disgaea type games but didn't fill the gap left by FFT. But on the hole there isn't much in this department which makes Fire Emblem one of the best you can get due to lack of options.

Devil Survivor however is one of the best games I have ever played. Could just be my own personal preference but I found the story completely engaging and original the battle system unique, addictive, and original. It has multiple endings. Not much Metroidvania or loot in this game either though. I recommend this game to all of earth.

I'd say everyone should have a 3ds if not for these then for Etrain Odyssey IV and the New Castlevania.

Was hoping to pass this on lunatic before Etrain Odyssey IV came out......but as it stands I'm on map 21 on Lunatic and EOIV was released today.....back burner Fire Emblem goes.

I got lucky, I was able to track it down for MSRP, at a local walmart.

I also luckily was able to snag the wii and gamecube ones recently. Because of Awakening's success I expect those 2's prices to keep going up.

Awakening is the best of them however, since it allows more freedom, and because of the multiple generations give a lot more replay value.

Just got the game yesterday along with the 3DS, and I have to say that outside of Tactics Ogre, FFT this is beginning to fill the void.

So good.

Just got the game yesterday along with the 3DS, and I have to say that outside of Tactics Ogre, FFT this is beginning to fill the void.

So good.

This made me take a historical look at my T-rpgs pretty steady releases...though some games have much more weight than others....Considering I playing games like shining force, FFT, Tactics Ogre, fire Emblem multiple times through multiple years. My first fire emblem was Path of Radiance didn't even know what it was before then.

Shining Force - 92
Shining Force II - 93
Shining Force CD - 94
Tactics Ogre - 95
Vandal Hearts - 96
FFT - 97
SF3 - 97
Vandal Hearts 2 - 99
Hoshigami - 01
Arc the Lad Collection - 02
Disgaea - 03
Fire emblem Path of Radiance - 05
Jeanne d'Arc - 06
Disgaea 2 - 06
Yggdra Union - 06
Luminous Arc - 07
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - 07
Wild Arms XF - 07
Fire Emblem shadow dragon - 08
Devil Survivor - 09
Valkyria Chronicles II - 10
Devil Survivor 2 - 12
Fire Emblem Awakening - 13

This made me take a historical look at my T-rpgs pretty steady releases...though some games have much more weight than others....Considering I playing games like shining force, FFT, Tactics Ogre, fire Emblem multiple times through multiple years. My first fire emblem was Path of Radiance didn't even know what it was before then.

Shining Force - 92
Shining Force II - 93
Shining Force CD - 94
Tactics Ogre - 95
Vandal Hearts - 96
FFT - 97
SF3 - 97
Vandal Hearts 2 - 99
Hoshigami - 01
Arc the Lad Collection - 02
Disgaea - 03
Fire emblem Path of Radiance - 05
Jeanne d'Arc - 06
Disgaea 2 - 06
Yggdra Union - 06
Luminous Arc - 07
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - 07
Wild Arms XF - 07
Fire Emblem shadow dragon - 08
Devil Survivor - 09
Valkyria Chronicles II - 10
Devil Survivor 2 - 12
Fire Emblem Awakening - 13

Yeah I've played a lot of these over the years as well, and I think my first entry into SRPGs was with Shining Force way back when. I remember being blown away as it seemed even to a very young me to encompass everything I wanted in a game.

I think I peaked with FFT though, since then everything has sort of paled in comparison but Fire Emblem is very, very, very good. Probably a very close 2nd in my rankings for all time SRPGs.

I recall Hoshigami being extremely hard. Was that just me?

I recall Hoshigami being extremely hard. Was that just me?

It was extremely hard unless you abused the coin (magic) upgrade system. The DS re-release is a little easier because you can resurrect dead people after battles.

yeah Hoshigami was a bitch. But at the time it came there was little other than FFT of this type of game so I pounded at it till I finished it. You just had to pretty much avoid all close combat if I remember correctly.

Was not aware Hoshigami got a DS re-release. Interesting...

I remember having great fun with Jeanne D'arc while playing it, but I don't really remember much of the game...did that studio ever put out another SRPG?

Was not aware Hoshigami got a DS re-release. Interesting...

I remember having great fun with Jeanne D'arc while playing it, but I don't really remember much of the game...did that studio ever put out another SRPG?

not that I know of. Level-5 does great work usually. Dark Could 2 is a fantastic game.

Are the DLC maps worth it?

I'd say no unless you have money to burn or are doing insanity difficulty then you'll need to use them for leveling up.

1 dollar a map would be an ok price but they are going for 2.50 to 6.00

I don't know the names of them so I'll list them for what you get.
group 1
1. You get Marth and he is very good, map is small and lame with low level enemies
2. You get Roy he just just ok, map is small and Lame with low level enemies
3. You get a new skill that does +2 to all stats for each completion, Map is lame with low level enemies

Group 2
1. Gold rush map where you kill as many people as you can and get gold for it...they don't fight back only run. good map for endless gold.
2. N/A

Group 3
1. You get some Trickers who is pretty good, Map is better and enemies are stronger.
2. N/a
3.n/a

$6 for one map???? Thats not worth it at all. Almost makes me wonder if Bobby Kotick has infiltrated Nintendo. LOL.

Seriously. I agree with you on $1 being an okay price, but $6???

$6 for one map???? Thats not worth it at all. Almost makes me wonder if Bobby Kotick has infiltrated Nintendo. LOL.

Seriously. I agree with you on $1 being an okay price, but $6???

Came across this.... Describes it perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8kTawTYxWlc#!

I'll be buying all of them eventually.....but I just passed the game on Insanity and my SD card currupted my games so i had to get a new SD card and I lost my data....so it will be a while before I replay this.

Nintendo just announced on Facebook earlier today that you get a free map when you click SpotPass after you connect to WiFi

Back