what internet do you use?

• FIOS FTW

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • cable *shrugs* works fine for me

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • other, satelite, dial up, dsl

Votes: 27 21.3%

• Total voters
I have FTTH and my download is capped at 5mb but my upload is at 5/6mb upload. At my old apt using the same ISP I was getting 13mb down and 5mb upload. the reason why I was getting better speeds at my old apt was I was using older ONT equipment what my new apt is using a new ONT.

Had FIOS, loved the service, hated the fact that they overbilled EVERY MONTH. Usually double to triple.

Have Comcast for free now that I work for them.

By the way, you DO know that Comcast is Fiber as well, right? Before FIOS even existed, in fact. Doesn't really matter when your house uses Coaxial though...

successful advertising campaign is successful.

when fios finally comes to my neighborhood, I'm going to make my own awsome thread to tell everyone about it, and belittle all the poor and irish folk living with inferior internet service. complete with poll options phrased as if they had a choice, just to rub in the fact that they have no choice, and are inferior.

22 down 5 up cable that "bursts" @ 30/8 for a few minutes at a time, which is sometimes all it takes. However FIOS will likely replace it just because of their better network as soon as it gets to my house, which will be a matter of months.

FYI cable and dsl are on shared node unlike FTTH/FTTP/FTTN/C is not shared node that is why customers on dsl and cable having so many problems at night because everybody is on at night instead of the day time.

DSL is constant all the time unless the CO is overloaded. Proper DSL does not fluctuate like cable at all. 24/7 the exact same speeds. DSL you actually connect to a card that is just for you at the CO, it is a dedicated connection. The limiting factor is that sometimes a CO will be overloaded but that would affect any technology coming out of there (Cable/DSL/Fiber). I work with a lot of different DSL systems around here for my clients and barely any have any fluctuation at all, it is one of the big advantages of DSL over cable.

I don't know what you mean by fiber is not shared node yet DSL is in comparison to cable, it is sharing the same resources somewhere a long the line. Each customer is not directly hooked into the backbone (they are all still going through a CO). Cable fluctuates because everyone is sharing the same lines and connection between the CO and residences, thus when more are using them the connection becomes saturated and slows down.

Id have FIOS if it was available, but its not. So I make do with a shitty DSL connection.

I don['t think it's fair to have polls like these due to most people not having access to multiple providers. Personally I'm stuck in a Qwest telco area, so there's no way I'm going to that compared to my comcast internet.

Att Uverse 18/1.5 Which is pretty stable, I get full speeds 24/7. As far as I know, it is FTTN.

I switched from Cox to FIOS over a year ago and I'll never go back. I had random/intermittent latency problems with online games on Cox. Haven't had any problems with FIOS, yet.

and belittle all the poor and irish folk living with inferior internet service

Nice, try to turn the thread racial :rolleyes:

I am stuck with either Comcast or Qwest. Qwest wants to charge me $40 / month for a 1.5 Mbps DSL connection. Or I can buy their home phone package for $30 / month and get the DSL for $15...wow, what a deal...MagicJack anyone? Seriously, I've been watching their stock price and hoping that the company goes bankrupt just so it can get taken over by Verizon so that I can get FIOS. FIOS is available less than a mile away, but that's a different county. FIOS is better technology and I would switch if I could. Comcast has not been as bad as I thought though. Ping times are what I really care about and they are all very low. Cost-wise, it's almost competitive with Verizon.

Dial-up. A fibre line runs down the main road about 200m from my house, but I have no hope of ever getting fibre to my house, since our greedy-ass cable company (Cogeco) bought all the fibre infrastructure off our hydro company (Burlington Hydro), but now aren't expanding it like BH was :mad:

Back