Finished Half-Life 2

Kingpin

Gawd
I beat Half-Life 2 and I feel cheated....no real story, not one movie action scene, feels repetive, and crap ending.....is it possable for a game to have a good ending? Im feeling like no one in the game business cares two shits just as long as they can continue it to make more money for more trash. CS isnt really worth it either now that I think about it, its the exact same crap as before with the same cheats and the fools cant even give us a new map. blah

No story?
No action?

It has both... and plenty of it...

You just opened yourself up to a whole new world of flames. :rolleyes:

may I ask how long it took you to beat it, and I'm guessing it had to have been longer than 10 hours, so you're telling me since 3am est Tuesday morning, you've beaten this game? I'm not questioning that you beat it, I'm just questioning why you decided to beat it in one day then complain about it.

Games generally do have crap endings. I wish more game companies would give you more in this reguard. Endings for some games used to be good. The last game that had one that I recall was Unreal 2. It had a pretty good, albiet kind of dark and depressing end.

Now that I think about it, only the Star Trek and Star Wars games generally bother with an ending at all.

I have a feeling that this thread is quite Troll ish. don't feed the trolls. This thread also sounds like the Halo 2 one. :rolleyes:

ok it has a cheesy story but the action is repetitive and yes it took over ten hrs but I just happen to be sick and stayed home from work...wife didnt want me to sleep as my snoring while sick is wicked. I did think it would last longer then it did. If you dont like what I said then leave, damn I just felt like venting. My point is that games just arnt the same. The only game that took me a long time what FF7 or 8 and that ending rocked. Damn atleast HL1 had a almost ten min entro mov. to the start of the game. When you get to the ending I bet more people will feel the same way. If not, oh well.

The HL1 ten minute intro would have been fine if you could skip past it. Of course RPG's are going to take longer than 10hrs.

So far HL2 has been great. I'm not sure how long it is. We'll see. How is the action repetative. I'm about 5 hrs in and I don't find it repetative. Not to mention it's different from other FPS's. You've got alot more enviroment interaction and they made the world seem pretty big. The mixture of action, puzzelesque parts, and driving action makes it pretty unique. I love the feeling of running from the badguys you get some times.

This is the best FPS I've played in along time. Don't know if it will have the replay value of UT2004, but who knows.

It's pretty cool, but they really could've shortened the airboat part, IMO. I've spent a mere 4 hours playing it so far, and I have to say playing frisbee with sawblades and zombies is quite fun. :D

Master [H] said:
It's pretty cool, but they really could've shortened the airboat part, IMO. I've spent a mere 4 hours playing it so far, and I have to say playing frisbee with sawblades and zombies is quite fun. :D

Playing a game of catch with a bigass junkyard robot wasn't bad either. Have you thrown paint cans at enemies yet? Near as I can tell it doesn't hurt them. But it does cover them with paint.

Master [H] said:

YES the airboat is god damn annoying, ive spent an hour and 1/2 on just the airboat part and im still not done w/ it!

I suppose the Fallout series had "no story" either by your standards. :rolleyes:

This game has more story in the first few minutes than the entire game of Doom 3. You have to pay attention to the entire world, not just running through to win. All the people have something to say, the TV's... it's very 1984 if you let yourself actually explore.

Instead you had to be the beat it/bash it guy on the forums first, congrats to you sir, you just polluted your gaming experience by being l33t.

Kingpin said:
ok it has a cheesy story but the action is repetitive and yes it took over ten hrs but I just happen to be sick and stayed home from work...wife didnt want me to sleep as my snoring while sick is wicked. I did think it would last longer then it did. If you dont like what I said then leave, damn I just felt like venting. My point is that games just arnt the same. The only game that took me a long time what FF7 or 8 and that ending rocked. Damn atleast HL1 had a almost ten min entro mov. to the start of the game. When you get to the ending I bet more people will feel the same way. If not, oh well.

Play it again, but take your time this time. Immerse your self. I know that being sick probably didn't help. Its just that your original post sounded too stand-off ish. Well you were sick so my appologies.

I think the reason why most people don't think alot of games have a great story is because they aren't thinking outside the box. People think that the FF games have great stories, which they do, but the reason is because it is told to you movie style. You play through repetitive turn based combat, then suddenly it goes to another 10-15 minute cutscene.

With Half-life 2, there are no cut-scenes per se, the dialogue all happens as in-game footage rather than FMVs. Like at the beginning, the old bearded guy on all the monitors, if you actually stand there and listen to what he has to say, it gives you alot of background on the story. The above post is correct, it's very 1984-ish.

Rather than switching to a cut scene and having the story told to you, like FF, you actually have to go find the story, and you can choose to listen to the story, or if you want to beat the game in one day and bitch about it, you can just run right past the story.

When you get to Kleiner's lab, read as much of the newspaper clippings on the wall as you can. That really nailed what the story was all about. Pretty cool stuff too although now I'm waiting to see how the Black Mesa fallout led to the world of HL2 i.e. MINOR SPOILER -> the Xen aliens helping the refugee's. They seem awful nice considering how many I killed in the first one. :p

Well if you really wanted to you could beat it fast.

I prefer to play it slow and get my money's worth.

Maybe someone could tell me how to get past the first big hall'o'drums (where upon dropping down, you're attacked by those flying buzzer things)

So we have a large room full of barrels, there's a duct high up on one wall which I hope I will never have to stack barrels to reach. There's a ladder down to a section of water, and if you walk a pipe in the celing you can reach another section much the same.

Where do I go from here?

I really wish they'd just render the rails so you knew which direction to walk to trigger the cart going again.

to eloj:

*** SPOILER ***
In the 2nd room without barrels there are a lot of pipes. On one of the pipes there's a valve you have to open. This makes the water rise and allows you to go to the next room by going to the room with all the barrels and swim through the pipe under water.

It took me a while to figure this one out but not too long to get me bored.
:)

Thank you.

If anyone knows what's in that inaccessible duct I'd love to be spoiled on that one too. Ought to be good considering how much work you'd have to go through to get to it.

If you want a more detail and longer story, awesome graphics (Source Engine, just like HL2), character development (it's an RPG with semi-FPS combat), and all sorts of other cool stuff in a game that is out today....

http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/

It has been beat!!! care for a credits screencap?

Credits Screenshot

Or how about this friendly face:

The One and Only

No real spoilers here, all i have to say is, my lord, bar none the best single player experience i have ever had. Completion time was roughly 17 hours and 10 minutes.

congratulations!!! what difficulty level did you play? i've been playing the normal difficulty, seems a little easy, but i'm thinking of restarting and trying the hard difficulty. if you used the normal, did it get more difficult as the game progressed?

i played it through on normal, at times it got challenging but with enough thought (and quicksaves hehe) i was able to get through

S1nF1xx said:
OMG! That's awesome!

:rolleyes:

NO thread crapping. If all you have is comments to crap on people's threads, do not post.

Also since there is already a thread posting about finishing the game the two threads have been combined.

17 hours, thats a fast whip through. I played about an hour or so on easy before I restarted. Easy is way too easy. Only time I died was when I got hit by a train :rolleyes:

Restarted on hard, Very tuff especially when theres incoming missiles or a chopper. So I restarted a final time on regular. Going to do this all the way through.

I just got done with it and it took me roughly 13 hours to complete. 6 hours Tuesday and 7 hours today. I really injoyed it and I am guessing they left it open for HL3. But I really took my time and looked at every thing even the news clippings it the lab about the earth surrendering in 7hours after the Combine showed up. I wish they showed how the people became walking zombies then Cathedral.

I usually limit how much I play a game like an hour at a time so its more spread out

I play most games straight up on regular diff. Then straight up on hardest diff. Then on easy exploring every nook and cranny. this game I cant help exploring like crazy everywhere I go right away.

ive been playing like 2 hours per day... im at the part right after i get the gravity gun... called "We Don't Go To Ravenholm..."

does anyone know how many more "chapters" left before it ends...

im guessing still quite a lot?

look guys I had fun while playing it, most parts, I just want something diff. I'm board with games that "you only have one way to go and that's it" types. I mean damn let me go out and explore the city. Yes the weapons are fun, grav gun is the best but damn give us some riddles that take longer then 2secs to think about. Oh and the airboat was a joke, they could have used that time for something else. For those that want to flame me for my thoughts on the game, go piss on a electrical fire first, then feel free to come back.

So far for me it has been very linear straight forward but not repetititve. Well unless you get stuck on a level because of all the scripts the enemies always react the exact same way and there is never a choice on what path to make in this game.

But otherwise it´s definiatly varied enough and the action almost matches the intensity of Unreal 2. Overall this is a better game though.

I have to agree a bit on the story so far there hasn´t been much of it. Not that it matters much in this kind of game. It´s not System shock, NOLF, TRON or Unreal 2 level that´s for sure.

But it´s definiatly a good game more than I expected from Valve really. Wasn´t a big Half Life fan.

the@ntipop said:
When you get to Kleiner's lab, read as much of the newspaper clippings on the wall as you can. That really nailed what the story was all about. Pretty cool stuff too although now I'm waiting to see how the Black Mesa fallout led to the world of HL2 i.e. MINOR SPOILER -> the Xen aliens helping the refugee's. They seem awful nice considering how many I killed in the first one. :p
How can you read these at all? I upped my res to 1600x1200 and used the zoom feature on the suit and they are still far too blurry to be intelligible.

ill find out in 76 minutes after i finish getting it from steam....

Shadowspawn said:
I had a blast with the airboat. I wish the buggy ride was as long.

Not me I just wished the air boat sequence would be finished so I could continue with the game. That part could have been shorted severely. It was great fun for a while but when you jump the 15th gates...

But it´s better than the buggy they really messed up the steering on that one.

I just beat it myself, good god i'm sad :p
I LOVED the game, i played from 6pm-1am yesterday and 1230 to 815ish today.
Like i said i loved every moment of the game except the ending but i can live with the mysterious side. Overall A+

I plan to get it when i get a hold of extra cash... so.. is anything from HL1 explained in this one?? like what in the fuck is the deal of that border world Zen?? and why does it exist.. any answers to stuff like that??

thanks

Back