Finding faces in photos

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
My wife's grandmother died last night. We are trying to find pictures of her but have probably close to 30k digital pictures to go through. Is there viable software for consumers for doing facial recognition yet?

The newest windows live photo gallery will do this. Has a batch people tag tab. Will suggest photos and everything.

The newest windows live photo gallery will do this. Has a batch people tag tab. Will suggest photos and everything.
This and picasa. I would say they're about equally accurate

I've used Windows Live Gallery to tag people in most of my digital photos. For my family members it went through and found all the faces that were taken front on. Then when I tagged all those it started showing me side profiles to tag. It will even find people in pictures frames on the wall or end tables. The thing that I liked is that it saves the location of the people in the jpg exif so that it will stick with the photos.

Picasa stores the info n a local database, so if you move to a different PC, the data is gone.

A forensic tool named Androit is perfect for this task: http://digital-assembly.com/products/adroit-photo-forensics/ Check it out, it is well worth it if you are looking for photos with skin tones, let alone 30k of them!

Wowzers. $999.00

The features are pretty amazing, but more than most families would need.

I'm sticking with my initial suggestion of Windows Live Photo Gallery because it embeds the people labels in the JPG exif and not in a database. Will also detect faces from front, side, slight angle etc. Has a batch naming tool. Can search by people labels.

I haven't used Picasa. The database feature would bother me, because it could get corrupted, lost, has to be backed up, have issues with photo renames, relocations etc (when done outside of Picasa). I have no experience, so can't say if the last two are really issues, but would majorly not fit into my work flow.

Back