Finder won't let me delete folder?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I just recently got a MacBook with Leopard and it's great so far. I copied some stuff off my old PC laptop and onto an external hard drive, and from there onto my MacBook. I put the folder on the desktop.

I decided to move my photos folder (which was within this folder) so I did so, but the Finder decided to copy them, not move them. I went back to the folder to delete the folder, and I was asked for my password. However it did not delete the folder! I went to the Terminal and tried deleting using sudo and rm -rf, but it still told me "Operation not permitted" despite the fact I was using sudo.

How can I delete this folder? Any advice is appreciated - THANKS!

Update...here's what I've done so far:
- Attempt to delete folder with Finder and enter admin password.
- Attempt to delete folder using "rm -rf" and "rmdir" in Terminal using sudo.
- Check ownership of directory and other attributes. I did "chmod 777" on the directory, and my user is the owner of the directory.
- Enable root account and login as root, then attempt "rm -rf" and "rmdir".
- Logon in single user mode and attempt to delete the directory. Also ran fsck then attempted to delete the directory.

I looked for some more info on this problem - apparently a few people have had a similar issue but I haven't been able to find a solution. It's looking like my best option would be to back up my data and reformat my drive?

Update: (for if someone else ends up having a similar problem)

It turns out the issue was that the parent folder was locked....I can't believe this :D

Back