Find my dynamic IP address remotely...

GamezUK

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm going to the USA in just under a week (for 3 weeks) and during this time would like to be able to use remote desktop to connect to my PC.

There's only one complication which is that I have a dynamic IP address :(

Are there any applications / services that I could use to find my IP address (even something that could email me it!) because obviously i'll need this to connect to my home PC.

Much appreciated.

www.dyndns.org just signup for free and install a client on your pc and then you will have a dns name to go to. For example

mypc.kickass.net or something to that effect. It works great.

oops. sorry another question :(

OK, so I've created a host (eg. mycomputer.myvnc.com) and downloaded a client that's logged into my DNS account and sucessfully found 'mycomputer.myvnc.com'.

I've got remote desktop running of a few of my systems so when I want to connect via remote desktop how do I select which one I want?

You could set up each pc to use a different port, then forward each port to the appropriate pc using your router.

I think I understand where you're going...

So for eg. I'd type mycomp.myvnc.com:140 (if the PC I wanted to connect to was setup for port 140?)

How would I do all of this? :(

It may also be under firewall rules or something similar, all depends on what router your using.

OK.

I'm using a Belkin modem / wireless router so it's under 'virtual servers'

I currently have the system that I want to use setup with DMZ (yeh it's not water-tight but it's ideal for gaming + there's nothing sensitive / precious on my system).

Basically the options I have are:

External Port Start, External Port End, Protocol, Internal Port Start, Internal Port End

Now I'm admitedly a newbie with networking but I can't see how I could set that up so that for eg. port 140 went to my at 192.168.2.2?!?

Sorry, if it's just my ignorance

Is there an application that can be used that does not require a client software to be installed?

I wouldn't worry about the client software.

No-IP client can even be set to run as a system service so you'll never even know it's there!

It also uses zero system resources :)

I managed remotely control my PC today using my PPC (and terminal services client) thanks to my new working DNS :)

The basic idea for port forwarding is that you fill in the external port or port range, the iternal port or port range, the internal IP, and the protocol type (UDP or TCP, normally).
In your case, "internal IP" seems to be missing. Are there any other fields that could be relevant?

You'll want something like this:
External Port Start: 140 (Or whatever port you want to use from the outside)
External Port End: Same as above (or empty, if that works.)
Internal Port Start: 5900 (I think this is the normal VNC port)
Internal Port End: 5900 (or empty)
Mysterious missing "internal IP" field: 192.168.2.2 (Or whatever)
Protocol: TCP

BTW, I just set up DynDNS and a few forwarded ports with m0n0wall. Very nice little distro.
Also, there's a good suggestion here: Use ports 5900, 5901, 5902 etc. as the external ports. Then you can choose "Display 1" in the VNC client to get the first PC, "Display 2" for the second, etc.

Awesome. Thanks so much.

I'll have a little play :)

At least I know that if I only have the one comp running while I'm on holiday I can connect to it fine :D

GamezUK said:
Awesome. Thanks so much.

I'll have a little play :)

At least I know that if I only have the one comp running while I'm on holiday I can connect to it fine :D

If you HAVE to... connect to the main one via VNC, then from THERE open up another VNC, from the remote computer and control one of the OTHER machines on your network... I've done this before. You only need one port forward for this....

QJ

Thanks, wouldn't have thought that'd have worked but just tried it and it does indeed work!

Kinda crazy but could be a life saver!

Back