Financial Info Leaked in Newegg Data Breach

Hi All

I haven't used Newegg since 2013. From that point on it's been B&H & Microcenter

Yeah I hadn't used them for many years after ticking me off long long ago, but they happened to have a couple things that Amazon / B&H didn't have in stock, guess this is my reward for giving them another shot.

I just called my bank. *sigh*

I was going to order from amazon for my new monitor, but I wanted the square trade warranty that amazon didn't offer as my last monitor when belly up.

One of these days, people will stop using Magento...

Because Newegg is bad at PR, have a bad incident response plan, and bad breach counsel.

Not just that. When they transformed themselves from a tech vendor to a "marketplace" they abandoned interest in customer relations. Their approach is no longer about building a good customer bond. Instead they simply try and rely on price/availability and a name that used to mean something.

Not just that. When they transformed themselves from a tech vendor to a "marketplace" they abandoned interest in customer relations. Their approach is no longer about building a good customer bond. Instead they simply try and rely on price/availability and a name that used to mean something.

Prices aren't that good anymore either. Just about everything on new egg is matched by Amazon. And Amazon has free 2 day shipping. Every once in a blue moon New Egg will be cheaper.

I'd consider 2013 to be recent.

I blinked my eyes and was suddenly transported from 2008 to 2018, so 2013 falls within the realm of "lately" to me :p

I mean, I still talk about how I don't like this new music, like the Spice Girls and Britney Spears. :p

I really understand this comment because I was a massive workaholic/biker with the average sleep amount was 4 hours per day for 27 years. I still think at times that Space Above and Beyond or Farscape, Eureka are still on TV. ;)

Also I just checked my Paypal Account... Seems all in order so far.

Of course, the first time I buy anything from them in years....luckily I lost the card I used shorty after and had it deactivated. Will still be keeping an eye on my account.:cautious:

Newegg definitely has had a problem with credit card data being skimmed going way back. I have had cards used for nothing else compromised like...3 or 4 times ordering from Newegg. At least one other person I know has had a similar experience. I use PayPal to checkout there, exclusively.

Prices aren't that good anymore either. Just about everything on new egg is matched by Amazon. And Amazon has free 2 day shipping. Every once in a blue moon New Egg will be cheaper.

IMHO the one and only thing Newegg is good for these days is their product search feature.

Filtering - for example - motherboards based on detailed specs is key. You know, list all motherboards. Now narrow down by chipset and socket. And narrow down by number of RAM slots, etc. etc.

Amazon tries to do the same but it is nowhere near as good.

So I did stop by my bank over lunch and got a new card. Now I'll go ahead and put the wrong cvv2 code in the next 10 times i buy something online.

Bah, got everything dealt with. Luckily I started using PayPal for damn near everything last year. My CC's only tied to a couple accounts these days.
Newegg was able to swap my 2080 preorder over to another card, too...but they still won't do PayPal for pre-orders. The fact that the 2080's were delayed by a week of course made this situation more urgent.

They were the only place that was selling the EVGA card I wanted, so I was kinda stuck. That was my first order from NewEgg in 3 years and it'll probably be my last based upon this experience.

Damnit, I ordered some parts on August 24. Guess I better get a new card, then wait 4 years for the class action lawsuit to settle with newegg for $1.30 and a year of credit monitoring.
I’m sure They will get you coverage through Equafax, should keep you safe.

So why are people cancelling credit cards? Shouldn't you just need to report fraudulent charges when they occur? You are not liable for fraudulent charges anyway.

So why are people cancelling credit cards? Shouldn't you just need to report fraudulent charges when they occur? You are not liable for fraudulent charges anyway.

Because if you ordered anything during that time frame, these hackers more than likely have your credit card data and it's probably only a matter of time before it gets used. Most people don't check every line of their CC statement as well.

Great..I bought a whole computer's worth of parts from there in the last couple months. No unexpected charges on the accounts luckily.

I have better things to do than check my bank account every day to make sure someone didn't drain it with my debit card numbers which are likely now compromised. Didn't take but 20 minutes out of my day to go get a new one.

Oh I agree, just saying that this is their approach.

Amusingly, I haven't been able to use Newegg since my account got hacked last year. Newegg spotted the hack - someone tried to buy themselves a $300 gift card - but they also permanently deactivated my account and won't reactivate it. They told me if I want to use Newegg, I need to make a new account using a new email address. But my email wasn't hacked...

They still owe me $40 in credit, too.

My only purchase of the year was on Aug 9. Still going to call the CC company. They have reissued my CC 9 times. They must love me by now.

You think the skimmer was there just so the hackers have numbers to look at and do nothing with?

Yesterday, Newegg made a public post on their Facebook and Twitter accounts indicating that malware was injected into one of their servers. They indicated that they're emailing all potentially affected customers. I guess if you don't receive an email then you are probably safe?

No, the credit card companies have to pay for the fraudulent charges, not you.

It’s much easier to proactively get a new card, than have your CC company deactivate your card for fraudulent activity right before automatic payments from half a dozen companies get declined.....

Take my word for it, it’s a PITA

It’s much easier to proactively get a new card, than have your CC company deactivate your card for fraudulent activity right before automatic payments from half a dozen companies get declined.....

Debit cards are way worse in my experience - the credit card companies were easy to deal with, told me to ignore any of the fraudulent charges if they showed up on my next statement and issued me a new card. The bank made me swear up and down that it was fraud, sign some paperwork, then wait (with my checking account overdrawn) for something like a week before finally restoring my balance. Not cool when you're in college and have no credit cards (still in the mail) and your bank accounts are drained.

I had no problems when my AMEX was replaced due to fraudulent activity. In fact, all of my reoccurring payments that I had set-up for the card were automatically moved to the new card and I didn't run into any hiccups.

I've had a couple instances with fraudulent charges on both an AMEX and a MasterCard. Both were easily resolved, but American Express was quicker overall. I had a new card in 48 hours and they proactively removed the charges completely right away sans any sort of approval or investigation. MasterCard took 2 weeks to get everything settled.

Even with everything being easy to deal with, it's still not a great experience. Oddly, in both instances my credit card was actually compromised by an individual rather than any sort of hacking or skimming. Hence I always kinda laugh when some people are scared to shop online but have no fears about handing their card to people in a store or restaurant. Both of mine were restaurant related.

So I shouldn't care that stuff is fraudulently purchased or the headaches that come from that? Like being on a trip to Europe and discovering my card isn't working any longer? Yep that works out real well doesn't it?

And believe it or not, as much as I dislike banks greed, I don't want them to lose money to some other crooks, because in the end that just raises cost of doing business for all parties involved except the crooks.

Banks will reascend payments to places like NewEgg. That means NewEgg will eat the cost. Or banks will swallow the cost, which means I'll eventually eat the cost in terms of higher fees.

Theivess don't care though. They are just as bad as the banks. They are in it for themselves and f everyone else. At least the banks are providing a needed service and create jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I ordered something from Newegg was in June this year, so I assume I'm safe.

I had no problems when my AMEX was replaced due to fraudulent activity. In fact, all of my reoccurring payments that I had set-up for the card were automatically moved to the new card and I didn't run into any hiccups.

That only works for recurring payments scheduled through the AMEX, I have several that are setup where the payment is just charged to whatever card I have on file through the service provider.

That only works for recurring payments scheduled through the AMEX, I have several that are setup where the payment is just charged to whatever card I have on file through the service provider.

Negative, I did not have them scheduled through AMEX and the recurring payments still processed. The only payments that didn't go through on the old card number were one time payments.

My only purchase of the year was on Aug 9. Still going to call the CC company. They have reissued my CC 9 times. They must love me by now.

Posts like this make me wonder how much longer until CC companies decide they're done with 3rd party websites and force CC purchases to be handled through their own sites. It would be cheaper in the long run, and could be a revenue stream as they force companies to pay for access to their payment processing sofware.

Are you saying that you don't think those "costs" don't come back around anyway?

I mean, you know that they do right? They just get pushed onto all of us as a whole so they are harder to see for what they are.

Example; Some business soaks up 1 million in 2018 in fraud loss. The same company now claims 1 million in loss against their profits, adds a bit more in additional costs associated with the losses, and now they pay less in their taxes.

What's more, they don't stop their. They hire fraud prevention services who charge fees which are tacked onto the costs of goods. It's perpetual and the consumer does pay for it.

Are you saying that you don't think those "costs" don't come back around anyway?

I mean, you know that they do right? They just get pushed onto all of us as a whole so they are harder to see for what they are.

Example; Some business soaks up 1 million in 2018 in fraud loss. The same company now claims 1 million in loss against their profits, adds a bit more in additional costs associated with the losses, and now they pay less in their taxes.

What's more, they don't stop their. They hire fraud prevention services who charge fees which are tacked onto the costs of goods. It's perpetual and the consumer does pay for it.

This is why US banks resisted security chipped Credits cards for so long, it was cheaper to pay for the expense of the fraud than upgrade the system, and why they half-assed the roll-out by not requiring PIN numbers

Damn, I bought some hdds from them last month via Paypal.
Any idea if Paypal would be safe?

Paypal is safe. When you use Paypal, your credit card/banking information is not exposed/sent to a merchant; they simply tell Paypal how much to charge you and Paypal handles everything behind the scenes so all Newegg gets is a token. In fact, as a matter of good security, I always use Paypal whenever I have the option to because Paypal is infinitely more secure than some random small time e-commerce website with limited resources for IT security.

Back