Finaly Switched :) any tips be great!

I don't know about MS creating their own Windows distro but I wouldn't be surprised if they were going the way of turning Windows into a DE. There are a number of indications that MS wants out of the OS business. The current leadership has basically slashed any real OS development. Windows is still based on an ancient and cobbled filesystem which is years behind the curve and can't seem to be able to develop a new filesystem worth a damn.

Creating and supporting a DE would be so much less resource and money intensive than a whole OS. It would also allow for MS to piggyback on top of Linux for filesystems and everything else Linux already does. It doesn't mean that the DE would need to be open source. It also doesn't mean that components of Windows' consumer and server OSes would need to be open sourced. They could keep parts as closed source and sell them separately as well as the DE all the while working on top of Linux. It probably wouldn't take much to port most of Microsoft's software to Linux assuming that it hasn't been done already.

Microsoft are the greatest contributor to GitHub and Edge is now based on Chromium. Furthermore, their cloud based solutions now run under Linux and Windows contains bash.

I agree 100%, the NT kernel is ageing and combined with the Windows scheduler is struggling with the newer NUMA implementations that are the way of the future. Combine these well known issues with the issues surrounding the now ancient NTFS file system, and Windows is totally overdue for some form of overhaul that's going to be difficult to achieve without a ground up revamp.

It's like death from a thousand cuts...

I can see them going for a locked down DE running the open source Linux kernel/file systems with backwards Win32 compatibility provided by Wine. They have to do something eventually as NT/NTFS can't keep going forever.

Last edited:
I do not see Microsoft ever giving up the Operating System or it's underpinnings. As for NTFS, I am certain it is not the NTFS of old and updating the client file system, if it is not needed, is simply unnecessary. Besides, I want to be able to do different things just because, which is what I can do now.

As for apt-get update, if I end up with an error about a distribution text file not being on one of the servers, any idea how to fix that? I want to install Ukuu but it will not, since I get that error.

I do not see Microsoft ever giving up the Operating System or it's underpinnings. As for NTFS, I am certain it is not the NTFS of old and updating the client file system, if it is not needed, is simply unnecessary. Besides, I want to be able to do different things just because, which is what I can do now.

As for apt-get update, if I end up with an error about a distribution text file not being on one of the servers, any idea how to fix that? I want to install Ukuu but it will not, since I get that error.

Did you add the UKUU PPA?

EDIT: I just tried installing UKUU using this PPA and it installed no worries:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu-easy-way-to-install-mainline-kernel-ubuntu

Last edited:
I get this error:

Err:10 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/updates/ubuntu eoan Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/updates/ubuntu eoan Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

When I run this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa

Edit: Nevermind: https://teejeetech.in/2019/01/20/ukuu-v19-01/#more-483

You now have to purchase it if you want it.

Last edited:
I get this error:

Err:10 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/updates/ubuntu eoan Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/updates/ubuntu eoan Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

When I run this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa

Edit: Nevermind: https://teejeetech.in/2019/01/20/ukuu-v19-01/#more-483

You now have to purchase it if you want it.

Nope, you don't have to purchace it, you only purchace it if you want the 'premium' features which aren't worth a pinch of poo anyway. Download it using the PPA outlined in my linked article, I did it for the hell of it and it works perfectly.

Bear in mind that LTS releases now get kernel updates every second point release now, so you should get a kernel update roughly every 10 months or so.

That's kinda cool. I forget what I used to switch kernels but my box didn't like it.

I might look into UKUU

That's kinda cool. I forget what I used to switch kernels but my box didn't like it.

I might look into UKUU

Head up, you now need to purchase it if you want it. It is only $12 for a lifetime license so it may be worth it to you, it was to me.

I'm a monkey tard.... UKUU already installed. That's what I was using to swap kernels.

Derp, derp

I'm a monkey tard.... UKUU already installed. That's what I was using to swap kernels.

Derp, derp

Yes, except, you are not going to be able to install it under Ubuntu 19.10, I tried and it failed. (Before purchasing it, anyways.)

Head up, you now need to purchase it if you want it. It is only $12 for a lifetime license so it may be worth it to you, it was to me.

You do not have to pay for it, there is still a free version with slightly less features that works fine.

0lrbQfC.png

Ok, I installed Bioshock Infinite which is a Linux Native game. However, it does not appear to support my XBox 360 Wireless controller correctly and also, it did not download the save game files from the Steam Cloud. Any ideas?

Yeah, I could probably manually the save game files from another computer. However, that might not upload them again when I exit steam, thanks.

I haven't had issues with games saved on the cloud. Fallout 4 and Grim Dawn picked up right where I had left off

Steam cloud saves have mostly worked for me. Maybe not every game has cloud saves but most work out of box.

Getting the Xbox controller working wirelessly is hard. There was some work to get the Microsoft adapter working, but it was abandoned after the new S controller came out that was Bluetooth.

If you have the Bluetooth controller it can work, I think the driver you need is xpadneo or something like that. However, I had some problems with latency, so I decided to just use the USB cable (which works 100%).

Steam cloud saves have mostly worked for me. Maybe not every game has cloud saves but most work out of box.

Getting the Xbox controller working wirelessly is hard. There was some work to get the Microsoft adapter working, but it was abandoned after the new S controller came out that was Bluetooth.

If you have the Bluetooth controller it can work, I think the driver you need is xpadneo or something like that. However, I had some problems with latency, so I decided to just use the USB cable (which works 100%).

I have two of the newer XBox One wireless bluetooth controllers and the wireless XBox 360 controller. Now, I could use the cable that charges the batteries in it as a wired controller but, I think I will just add the One controller to it and move the 360 controller to the Windows computer, thanks.

Edit: Oh, and the 360 controller did work on games that used Proton but not the native games.

I use the Xbox 360 wired controller. Works a treat, as yet I haven't had a native or non native game it didn't work with. The same with Steam cloud saves, all working as expected.

I thought you were sticking to LTS Ubuntu releases?

Install the free 19.04 .deb, if it's still working for DogsOfJune than it should work fine.

I already purchased it and it is fine, need to support the supporters. Since I redid from scratch, i am using 19.10 at the moment and by the way, you are using the wired controller, I am wanting to use it wirelessly.

I use the Steam controller through a Steam Link. I figured an Xbox controller wouldn't be hard, but not all systems work the same

I already purchased it and it is fine, need to support the supporters. Since I redid from scratch, i am using 19.10 at the moment and by the way, you are using the wired controller, I am wanting to use it wirelessly.

That's good. Totally agreed, it's good to support those that develop good software.

I use the Steam controller through a Steam Link. I figured an Xbox controller wouldn't be hard, but not all systems work the same

I found that the actual wired Xbox controller works faultlessly. The early wireless one has issues from time to time, even when connected to a USB cable/charging cable. I've also got a Logitech one that works fine.

Back