Finaly Switched :) any tips be great!

Should be a pretty painless change... adding a shutdown -h script.

I agree but, I have been doing some research and most sites say to modify the powerbtn.sh, of which my Ubuntu installation does not have one. Mind you, I could create one but, that does not seem like it would work, since there must already be a script file available, since the power button brings up shutdown menu.

Best advice is just to not give up. Sometimes there can be things you don't know how to do or that seem impossible, but if you work at it you'll probably find a fix.

There are sometimes things that just won't work, hardware that doesn't have drivers, etc., so be flexible and find a good middle ground.

This is really good advice. The only other thing I would add is not to be afraid of the command line - most things in Unix/Linux are actually easier on the command line once you know the right commands.

Here is another example.

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 19.10 (from 19.04) and my top panel transparency extension wasn't working.

This is not totally unexpected, a few of the customizations I did were lost, so I figured I just had to re-enable it.

But the extension was enabled and not working. But I found someone had forked the extension on Github, and there was a bug report from someone with the exact same problem.

Luckily the developer had commented on the bug earlier this morning (3 hours ago) and even had a settings tweak that would work around the problem while they fix it.

I mean, I could have been upset that it broke, but I did some research and got things fixed and working like I want, maybe I spent 20 minutes on it. That's Linux for you.

Here is another example.

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 19.10 (from 19.04) and my top panel transparency extension wasn't working.

This is not totally unexpected, a few of the customizations I did were lost, so I figured I just had to re-enable it.

But the extension was enabled and not working. But I found someone had forked the extension on Github, and there was a bug report from someone with the exact same problem.

Luckily the developer had commented on the bug earlier this morning (3 hours ago) and even had a settings tweak that would work around the problem while they fix it.

I mean, I could have been upset that it broke, but I did some research and got things fixed and working like I want, maybe I spent 20 minutes on it. That's Linux for you.

What is a top panel transparency extension?

Dynamic Panel Transparency

You must be talking about that thing that you top bar and side bar becomes the color of the desktop background, when everything else is closed, right? Well, that is the only time I appear to experience it, anyways.

Yes. It makes the top bar (where the date and time are) invisible so you can see your wallpaper underneath.

But you can customize it, so it is invisible with small windows, but if you maximize a window it changes to a solid color.

Really nice option.

Depending on the issue, if that was closed source you would have waited until the next 'update' before that problem was hopefully fixed. ;)

Thanks, I will probably install the 5.3 Kernel and just leave it at that. (Just saw that it is available and want the latest drivers.) Now I just have to do some file editing so that my computer will just shut off straight up when I press the power button, which is what I prefer.

This is why I'm not really much of a fan of vanilla Ubuntu. Under KDE Neon this is an option configurable via the GUI:

DD34fq2.png

My Kubuntu 19.10 laptop (what I happen to be on right now) has the same option to shut down via the power button.

Basically, KDE has the option built in and Gnome does not. Oh well, I am sticking with Gnome anyways, just have to get around to setting it up to do it.

Basically, KDE has the option built in and Gnome does not. Oh well, I am sticking with Gnome anyways, just have to get around to setting it up to do it.

Yeah, because Gnome sucks.

I refuse to support Gnome or it's developers.

Seems odd that it'd not be a stock option. But then, there's a lot about Gnome that's not stock that I think should be.

Is it maybe part of the Gnome Tweaks tool (apt install gnome-tweaks)?

On Ubuntu you can remove the shutdown prompt with this command:

Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.SessionManager logout-prompt false

Then make sure the power settings menu has shut down on power button press.

I own all Asrock mainboard in my builds, because I like the fact that their Ultra Fast Boot settings is fast. (Post's in 4 seconds.) Now in Windows, I can either use the troubleshooting menu or the Asrock Utility to boot in to the UEFI because it cannot be accessed otherwise. However, Asrock does not produce a Linux based Utility.

Well looking for a solution, I came across this that someone posted and it works great: systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

Now, you can use the command with or without Ultra Fast Boot enabled because, either way, it will enter into the UEFI settings after the restart.

Anyone ever see anything like this before? The system does boot but I only got that after I disabled secure boot and ultra fastboot. (Oh, and I updated to kernel 5.3.7) Now, I have enabled ultra fast boot again but that still pops up.

I cannot attach the image but, on startup, I get this error:

MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list. This error comes up just before the Ubuntu splash screen.

Any idea how to get a script file to run by double clicking it without have to type in a terminal: ./UEFIReboot.sh sh script-name-here.sh. bash UEFIReboot.sh

I am attempting to set up the file so that it will reboot and go to the UEFI bios. However, the .sh file works but not by double clicking it.

Any Nvidia users? Just noticed that the 440.26 drivers are out, installed and running fine on my PC.

EDIT: Shadow of the Tomb Raider runs great with these new drivers.

Last edited:
Not sure about the UEFI thing, it may have to be set to compatibility / other os.

For double-clicking scripts, see here:

https://askubuntu.com/a/544544

Thanks for the script link. As for the UEFI thing, is it about secure boot being disabled. Basically, the kernel is trying to pull the keys and it cannot be secure boot is not enabled. However, I cannot enable secure boot because otherwise, my computer will not boot, something to do with third party drivers.

Any Nvidia users? Just noticed that the 440.26 drivers are out, installed and running fine on my PC.

EDIT: Shadow of the Tomb Raider runs great with these new drivers.
I have a 1070ti in mine. Been looking for new drivers. Maybe next weekend I can tinker.

Thanks. I do hope whoever maintains that wiki updates the site, there is some pretty old stuff still on it.

The age of it doesn't really matter as it's all still perfectly valid in many instances - Terminal commands don't change much.

Yeah, if an app is stable, and doesn't have a lot of dependencies, it may be 5 years old and still work perfectly fine.

It's funny because you can take code you wrote 5 or 10 years ago using only ISO standard C++ and it will still compile today.

But take an app that has dozens of dependencies, and after 6 months you will have a hard time even getting it to compile, let only run.

Well, Ryse: Son of Rome works but, it is a little herky jerky at times. Therefore, I will need to see if DXVK or Lutris works for it, since Proton is not 100% problem free for this game, at least on my system.

Last edited:
Well, Ryse: Son of Rome works but, it is a little herky jerky at times. Therefore, I will need to see if DXVK or Lutris works for it, since Proton is not 100% program free for this game.

You need to wait for the shader cache to do it's thing.

You mean I need to pause the game and let it sit for a few minutes?

No, you just need to keep playing. Once the shaders get stored in the cache the jerkiness disappears, you have to do this every time you update the drivers.

Quake Champions is no different, play it for a bit and everything runs fine.

No, you just need to keep playing. Once the shaders get stored in the cache the jerkiness disappears, you have to do this every time you update the drivers.

Quake Champions is no different, play it for a bit and everything runs fine.

Well, I would except that I kept dying every 2 minutes. :D Oh well, it will get better eventually or I will, which ever comes first.

Ok, if your game will not run under Steam with Proton, use Lutris. It will then install a Windows version of Steam, install the game and use DXVK to run the game, which may work better. (I am not home and have not tried it yet.)

Ok, if your game will not run under Steam with Proton, use Lutris. It will then install a Windows version of Steam, install the game and use DXVK to run the game, which may work better. (I am not home and have not tried it yet.)

I haven't really found Lutrus to work better, if a game won't run under Steamplay than it generally won't run under Lutris. I use Lutris for games not supported by Steam, like titles I have on physical media or titles on Battle Net or Epic stores.

Well, personally, I do not think Linux is better than Windows and probably never will. That said, I went ahead and forced myself to erase my Windows drive on my third computer as well as the 3 x 500GB SSD's and installed Ubuntu 19.10 as the only OS on the computer. It is just personal but, since I am already a high level expert on Windows and have 2 other computers that both have Windows 10 Pro installed, I wanted to force myself into Linux on at least one computer to keep up with things.

Chances are, I will just keep it with Ubuntu Linux just because if for no other reason. I am in no hurry and I like screwing around with things. All 3 of my computers have Vega 56, Vega 64 and an 5700XT with Ryzen processors and 16GB or ram in each one so I am good to go for a long while.

Hey, I have only been refreshing things for a few days in my mind and already know a few things I did not know before.

Edit: Oh, and I only have one printer, a black and white HP Laser printer that is supported and automatically installed. :)

Anyone know how to get my Corsair HS60 heatset with the 7.1 usb adapter to function in 7.1 mode? The headsets work in general but not 7.1, I think.

Edit: I also need to automount and direct 2 folders I created into my home directory into 2 different SSD's. (I created a game folder on each one.) That way, I can make the Steam and other games default install location on the other drives. (My boot drive is only 256GB.)

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get my Corsair HS60 heatset with the 7.1 usb adapter to function in 7.1 mode? The headsets work in general but not 7.1, I think.

Edit: I also need to automount and direct 2 folders I created into my home directory into 2 different SSD's. (I created a game folder on each one.) That way, I can make the Steam and other games default install location on the other drives. (My boot drive is only 256GB.)

I have my /home partition on a separate HDD, the only thing running on my 250GB SSD is the OS itself.

To auto mount separate drives on boot, create a directory under Root/Media as your mount point. Once this is done, start up the Gnome Disks utility, click on the HDD you wish to auto mount and go to the 'playback' icon under the image of the partition with the tool tip 'Additional Partition Options' and select 'Mount Options'. Once this is done check 'Mount At Startup', make sure 'Show in user interface' is unticked, enter your mount point (the directory you created), select the UUID of the drive (Gnome Disks should have picked this up by default), select filesystem as auto and click OK.

On reboot the drive should be auto mounted. Drag your folders into your mount point folder created under /Media and the folders will be moved to your additional HDD's, redirect Steam to the same mount point and you're good to go.

Well, personally, I do not think Linux is better than Windows and probably never will.

Well, personally I think the opposite. However when I first started using Linux this most definitely was not the case.

Last edited:
If you want to use a separate drive for Steam game downloads, make sure it is mounted with the async parameter. Otherwise the downloads could stall the machine (depending on your internet and drive speed).

That should be part of the default options, but when I was using the Disk utility to auto-mount on startup, it set it to sync for some reason (rather then async) which is not a good idea.

Linux is great. Will it ever be better than Windows? Well it might be already depending on who you ask.

I could see Microsoft stumbling with a new Windows version, and maybe Linux will gain some traction, but it won't be the market leader for average consumers anytime soon.

Most average people can barely use Windows. Imagining my dad typing anything into a terminal and restarting a daemon, well Hell would freeze over. It's just not realistic.

I mean, Ubuntu works pretty decent out of box, and I know there are easy distros, but at some point you will need the terminal for something and that is both a blessing and a curse.

Honestly, I believe Microsoft would turn Windows into a Linux distro before they admitted defeat (they're already going in that direction, maybe hedging their bets).

Honestly, I believe Microsoft would turn Windows into a Linux distro before they admitted defeat (they're already going in that direction, maybe hedging their bets).

I don't know about MS creating their own Windows distro but I wouldn't be surprised if they were going the way of turning Windows into a DE. There are a number of indications that MS wants out of the OS business. The current leadership has basically slashed any real OS development. Windows is still based on an ancient and cobbled filesystem which is years behind the curve and can't seem to be able to develop a new filesystem worth a damn.

Creating and supporting a DE would be so much less resource and money intensive than a whole OS. It would also allow for MS to piggyback on top of Linux for filesystems and everything else Linux already does. It doesn't mean that the DE would need to be open source. It also doesn't mean that components of Windows' consumer and server OSes would need to be open sourced. They could keep parts as closed source and sell them separately as well as the DE all the while working on top of Linux. It probably wouldn't take much to port most of Microsoft's software to Linux assuming that it hasn't been done already.

Back