Finally upgrading - how does this sound? Looking to buy today/tomorrow.

dudewth

[H]|G Minecraft Division Leader
OLD rig:
q6600 g0 @ 3.0GHz (couldn't get it stable at 3.2GHz even with low RAM clock & high Vcore...worst g0 q6600 ever)
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme HS
Abit IP35 Pro
4 x 2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066
8800GTX OC
150GB Raptor + 2 Data Drives
PC Power & Cooling silencer 750W
Asus Blu-ray/DVDRW drive
Using onboard sound that connects via optical -> external DAC -> speakers (2.0 bookshelf speakers) & headphones (Sennheiser HD650)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

NEW rig (proposed):
i7 930
Corsair H70
Asus P6X58D Premium
Corsair XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB)
Corsair Force 120
2 x EVGA GTX460 OC
NZXT Hale90 1000W
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I already have a case, Windows 7, will reuse the data HDDs and DVD drive and will probably stick with onboard sound. The only thing I'm slightly iffy about is the PSU.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Photoshop
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~$2000 is good all together, not much of a concern
3) Where do you live?
Close to a microcenter (for the cpu) everything else will be shipped (lots from Amazon & Newegg)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
only parts listed above in proposed build
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
listed above
6) Will you be overclocking?
yes, semi-mild overclock
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
one 24" @ 1920x1200 will eventually upgrade to triple 1920x1200 in the future (one to two years when I have more space)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
in the next week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI and at least 4 SATA connections.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Any suggestions or other ideas? And don't worry about prices...I'm not getting everything from newegg.

Also, should I reuse the 8800GTX for physx? I've read a few threads in the physics processing forum but I'm not sure it's worth the extra bulk/heat still.

Last edited:
While nothing is wrong with the psu. You don't need that much power, 750 watt would be more than enough.

rest of the setup i can't fault any picks you have made.

personally bias i would go with msi gtx 460

While nothing is wrong with the psu. You don't need that much power, 750 watt would be more than enough.

rest of the setup i can't fault any picks you have made.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yea, I was thinking of getting the PSU just to be closer to the 50-60% mark even under fairly heavy conditions. Also my current PSU only has 4 video power cables and, if I were to use the 8800GTX, then I'd need 6. That's fairly minor though.

personally bias i would go with msi gtx 460

Yea I was looking at this but I wasn't too sure about the cooler. Looks like the reviews are pretty good on newegg but I don't trust them all that much. :eek:

I Would definitly pass on that PSU.. Its a super flower made PSU & based on specs it should be the same PSU as this, but the NZXT one costs 35 bucks more. Also the Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 is only 180 so I would pick that above them both..

Also as pointed out above you dont need anywhere near 1000w So dropping to a higher quality 750-850w PSU would save money & still give you all the needed performance & stability.

1) Why 12GB? Thats a lot of Ram dude.

2) 750 is enough for your system. 850 will run 470SLI. You dont need the 1000 unless you are going 480GT SLI. Why not keep that PSU (if its not too old) and in a few years when you go 3X 24" monitors you can get new cards to push them and a new PSU.

3) I would also wait a few months on the SSD unless you really want it badly of money isnt an issue. The SSD prices are about ready to drop.

I just put together a comparable system, and went with 6GB as I plan for it to just be a gaming system.

But, in the last week I've been web browsing with it, and all the normal stuff.

My ol' rig had 8GB, and I'm surprised on this new one just how often I'm hitting the swap file... Not enough to make me buy more RAM, but certainly enough to make me wish I had...

If I planned to use it regularly as a typical system and not a dedicated gaming system, I know I'd go with a total 9GB/12GB...

I dont think you will ever use 6GB browsing and hardly ever with Photoshop unless you are a very high end user. very, very few people will need over 6GB...but maybe dudewth is one of them. And it wont hurt, so if dude doesnt mind spending $150 for something he might not use then its cool.

@it_shiro: yeah that is one sexeh case! White fans on black looks sweet.

@dudewth: one more thing. EVGA is a solid brand, but one of the main reasons people go with them is the lifetime warranty...but this card is the 2 year warranty. Might be worth it spending $20 more unless you plan on selling these within 2 years.

Edit: I just saw you ordered it all already, lol. So, nm.

nzxt is 80+ gold rated psu bastage

So is the Kingwin I linked that is the same wattage by the same OEM.. & the rating doesnt mean much. OCZ and rosewill PSU's get 80+ rated too.

The rating doesn't change the fact that its not from a high end OEM like Seasonic or CWT.. Not saying that its a bad PSU, Just a Bad PSU for 210 bucks..

I dont think you will ever use 6GB browsing and hardly ever with Photoshop unless you are a very high end user. very, very few people will need over 6GB...but maybe dudewth is one of them. And it wont hurt, so if dude doesnt mind spending $150 for something he might not use then its cool.

Windows 7 64-bit, IE8, Skype, FLVPlayer, two MPC sessions loaded, Steam, two spreadsheets, Quicken, Yahoo Messenger...

And I'm hitting the swap file on 6GB of RAM... Sometimes my system crawls thanks to it...

I'm surprised to learn this the hard way, but "7" would certainly like for me to have more than 6GB of RAM, and I feel I'm hardly doing anything with it...

If Photoshop's a RAM hog, I'd go with more than 6GB...

I Would definitly pass on that PSU.. Its a super flower made PSU & based on specs it should be the same PSU as this, but the NZXT one costs 35 bucks more. Also the Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 is only 180 so I would pick that above them both..

Also as pointed out above you dont need anywhere near 1000w So dropping to a higher quality 750-850w PSU would save money & still give you all the needed performance & stability.
Yea I hear ya. I actually completely missed that Antec in my research. I was considering getting the Corsair HX1000 instead but the 80+ gold sold me even though I know that's not everything. Oh well...hopefully it works out!

2) 750 is enough for your system. 850 will run 470SLI. You dont need the 1000 unless you are going 480GT SLI. Why not keep that PSU (if its not too old) and in a few years when you go 3X 24" monitors you can get new cards to push them and a new PSU.

3) I would also wait a few months on the SSD unless you really want it badly of money isnt an issue. The SSD prices are about ready to drop.
1) Yes, I know. I have 8GB now and don't get that close to the limit as often anymore (not doing as much photoshop/video encoding as I used to) but I just hate it when I do get slow downs. I went for the overkill route.

2) The biggest reason to upgrade, sadly, was because my current PSU isn't modular. I also wanted to have the option to cleanly go to 3-way SLI if that ever needs to happen (highly unlikely) or upgrade in the future. Of course, in the "future" a new type of PSU will be desired. Such is the life.

3) Yea I've been waiting for at least a year now haha. I figured I'd just jump in since there's a $50 rebate on the SSD I got. I'm thinking of buying a cheap ATX case and keeping my old Vista install, so I needed to replace the Raptor anyway.

@dudewth: one more thing. EVGA is a solid brand, but one of the main reasons people go with them is the lifetime warranty...but this card is the 2 year warranty. Might be worth it spending $20 more unless you plan on selling these within 2 years.

Edit: I just saw you ordered it all already, lol. So, nm.
Yup, that's one of the reasons I started looking at EVGA in the first place. Since that card wasn't as good as I initially thought, I went with this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510
Came with a free copy of Just Cause 2, which is nice since I've only played the demo, and I like the non-reference cooler as long as it actually is better. The stock speeds aren't as good as the EVGA but I'm hoping to overclock it even higher.

I just put together a comparable system, and went with 6GB as I plan for it to just be a gaming system.

But, in the last week I've been web browsing with it, and all the normal stuff.

My ol' rig had 8GB, and I'm surprised on this new one just how often I'm hitting the swap file... Not enough to make me buy more RAM, but certainly enough to make me wish I had...

If I planned to use it regularly as a typical system and not a dedicated gaming system, I know I'd go with a total 9GB/12GB...
Thanks for saying this...makes me feel better for getting 12GB! :D

So is the Kingwin I linked that is the same wattage by the same OEM.. & the rating doesnt mean much. OCZ and rosewill PSU's get 80+ rated too.

The rating doesn't change the fact that its not from a high end OEM like Seasonic or CWT.. Not saying that its a bad PSU, Just a Bad PSU for 210 bucks..
It's not much of a difference, but I got it from Amazon for $198.16 shipped. Still, I get what you're saying.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dude I said that in my 1st post in this thread.. You reading the whole thing?

& I Know [H] rated it a silver.. JonnyGuru also reviewed the kingwin and gave it an 8.5 out of 10.. That still doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be 100 bucks for that PSU

sorry it mis-read ur post. i understand point your making but sometimes bling is more important.

sorry it mis-read ur post. i understand point your making but sometimes bling is more important.

Really.. Cause I Didnt see that that NZXT was gold plated or even matched the colors of the rest of the internals..

Back