Finally up and running on Gentoo!

blackedge

Gawd
Just wanted to say that I am finally completely up and running (sort of) on Gentoo.

I've had the console done for a while now, but I just got the X/KDE done tonight. What a pain in the arse. Had mouse and KB problems, then I had to get the settings right for the resolution on the monitor, lest I get stuck at a permanent 640x480!

Compiled everything from scratch!

What a feat!

And I'm inebriated to top it off!

What a great night! :D

Sorry, just wanted to post how happy I am! It has been quite the learning expereince since it's on a SPARC based system!

UltraSparc IIi 333MHz processor. I think. It's in an Ultra 10, and I know the original processor that I pulled out was a IIi, so I'm assuming that's the same with this one. I think I saw somehwere that it is a IIi though.

It took me a bit of headscratching and fighting to get X to cooperate. KDE was relatively easy though.

I'm just so happy I got it working! *does another happy dance*

I tried moving from Slackware to Gentoo. I figured I'd try a stage-1 istallation. Bad friggen idea. That was the worst Linux experience of my life, and I decided to just NOT do it at all.

Sl3c|<w4r3 rU|_3z j00

I went with Stage 1, and never had any problems. I actually had tried Debian and Mandrake, and had problems with both. Decided I'd muddle through it with Gentoo, and I haven't regretted it. It's been a long process, but definitely worth it.

I actually tried debian yesterday.. the new installer is nice, except it doesn't tell you anything about what its doing or where its putting things.

I kept itching for my gentoolkit. Give me a distro with qpkg and etcat! I wiped it today and did a stage 3 grp install, its now running emerge -evD to recompile the system.

Gentoo can be a real pain to install and setup but thats most of the fun :D. I learned so much running gentoo. When you have to do most things by yourself to config and such you learn alot.

Glad to hear you got yours up and running! welcome to gentoo. I'm sure you've already been there but the gentoo forums are one of the best places to get help with gentoo. Make sure to check them out.

Back