Finally the rest of the Skylake line up

Kind of a boring leak, I guess if the 6400 were cheap enough and still allowed as much BCLK OC leeway as the K SKUs then it might be a decent budget alternative... Outside of that most enthusiasts will just end up with the K as always, and we STILL can't easily buy a 6700K. :mad:

You should have no issues keeping any Skylake CPU pegged at max turbo (and beyond) on a desktop with decent air cooling, without any throttling. I'd argue if you can't do that indefinitely then your cooling setup just sucks. Should be able to keep it <80 even w/a $55-65 HSF.

Non K usually have igpu cut so that would explain big part of TDP difference. Also only 200 Mhz in max turbo but base speed in 3.4 vs 4 with all cores

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-s-mainstream-desktop-processor-lineup-launching-september-1/

Looking at the 6700K vs 6700: 4.2GHz vs 4GHz turbo. Not much, but the TDP is 40% more. Does anyone know:
1. What sort of max temps a typical air-cooled setup would reach with the 6700K.
2. How long can the turbo speed be sustained until it throttles down.

6700k stock, running 100% on all cores stress test @ 4.2ghz with turbo on air, I barely hit 70 with fans on low.

a 212 EVO would work fine without an overclock.

General use, gaming handbrake etc I never see it go over 60 and its silent, I am just using a Noctua 12s was $65

base speed in 3.4 vs 4 with all cores
This is the main reason for the lower TDP.
TDP is supposed to be the worst-case power you have to design for, so why would base clock be a main factor?

What percent of operations does a CPU process with its base clock versus turbo, in typical usage? Does the base only get used for the first milliseconds?

TDP is supposed to be the worst-case power you have to design for, so why would base clock be a main factor?

What percent of operations does a CPU process with its base clock versus turbo, in typical usage? Does the base only get used for the first milliseconds?

edited because I worded this poorly
My understanding is that Turbo kicks in as long as the processor is below TDP, since the non K version has a base of 3.4ghz the difference in TDP should be 3.4ghz vs 4.0ghz all cores running.

Last edited:

Power usage of CPU is directly proportional to frequency and to Voltage^2.

CPU running at 3.4 vs 4.0 will consume around 15% less just from frequency. Then if that cpu can be set to use 1.2V to reach 3,4 and 1.3V to reach 4.0 (numbers taken from my rear part) you get another power consumed increase.

Does the base only get used for the first milliseconds?

No. The base will be used when all cores are active which will also be the case when the CPU uses the most power. So the difference is the 6700 processor runs all cores at 3.4 GHz at a lower voltage than the 6700K needs to run all cores at 4.0 GHz.

I would love to see a cheap Celeron or Pentium with Iris Pro. $100 combo deals for processor + MoBo would be sweet for HTPC/budget builds that could handle light 3D gaming (or supplement a dedicated GPU if DX12 allows for any DGP and IGP to work together).

I think only mobile/AIO Skylake H is getting 64MB eDRAM (GT3e) or 128MB eDRAM (GT4e).

Core i7-6700T 14nm 4/8 2.8 GHz 3.6 GHz 8 MB DDR4 2133 MHz 35W LGA 1151 No

do want.

Footnote 4 states that the S model GT4 chips are Skylake processors. With the i7-5775c it seemed like Intel was ready to go with socketed on package cache processors. The delay with Skylake eDRAM LGA desktop models is very odd.

There have to be yield issues with the newer manufacturing processes. It is pretty much the only explanation for why in two consecutive product launches (Broadwell and now Skylake) the availability has been abysmal. Some markets have yet to see either in stock at the traditional vendors.

There have to be yield issues with the newer manufacturing processes.
Yeah, Intel admitted that during Q&A at IDF, but that's not the problem I was pointing out.

When Crystalwell was first available on Haswell CPUs, it was only on BGA package versions. Intel stated support for eDRAM equipped LGA models was coming with later and it did (eventually) with the Broadwell c models. The odd thing is why Skylake with eDRAM is coming so much later than other Skylake models. It's being mentioned on the same table as Kaby Lake.

TDP is how much power you can use, not how much it uses at default speed.

No. The base will be used when all cores are active which will also be the case when the CPU uses the most power. So the difference is the 6700 processor runs all cores at 3.4 GHz at a lower voltage than the 6700K needs to run all cores at 4.0 GHz.
Ok, so what's the freq when 2 cores are used? And 3? What's the utilization threshold that determines whether a core counts?

With 2 cores utilized you will get full turbo most of the time. More than that you will be closer to stock.

cant make up my mind on whether to wait for the 6400T, get an i3-4170, or a xeon e3 1241...getting tired of waiting though...lol

Hey this site clarifies the freq question.

1-core max: 4.2GHz
2-core max: 4GHz
4-core max: 4GHz
min: 4GHz

1-core max: 4GHz
2-core max: 3.9GHz
4-core max: 3.7GHz
min: 3.4GHz

Especially with the iGPU disabled, the 6700 ought to be able to run at the max all the time, right? In that case the "K" is only 2.5–8% faster.

Yes, the main point of the K is the unlocked multiplier allowing for better OC'ing... That might've changed now with the BCLK being decoupled from most other clocks (so you could just OC via that rather than multiplier), tho both SKU probably cost about the same anyway.

Does anyone know when the Skylake-E stuff will be announced? If that's even what it'll be - or is the 5960x going to be king for awhile longer?

Hey this site clarifies the freq question.

1-core max: 4.2GHz
2-core max: 4GHz
4-core max: 4GHz
min: 4GHz

1-core max: 4GHz
2-core max: 3.9GHz
4-core max: 3.7GHz
min: 3.4GHz

Especially with the iGPU disabled, the 6700 ought to be able to run at the max all the time, right? In that case the "K" is only 2.5&#8211;8% faster.

Keep in mind motherboards that have "Multicore Enhancement" in the UEFI will force the maximum turbo speed across all 4 cores, assuming you enable it. That means 4.2ghz in the 6700k's case. I'm not sure if Z chipsets are the only series to receive this option, though.

Keep in mind motherboards that have "Multicore Enhancement" in the UEFI will force the maximum turbo speed across all 4 cores, assuming you enable it. That means 4.2ghz in the 6700k's case. I'm not sure if Z chipsets are the only series to receive this option, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Is this an option only found on overclocking MBs or can this be done on other non Z chipsets.

Either way unless there is a HUGE price difference between the K and non k version I cant see ever buying the standard chip.

You bring up an interesting point. Is this an option only found on overclocking MBs or can this be done on other non Z chipsets.

Either way unless there is a HUGE price difference between the K and non k version I cant see ever buying the standard chip.

Maybe Newegg won't combo the 6700, TigerDirect won't gouge people an extra $50 for stock they don't have, and Amazon will actually get some... :p JK

I wouldn't expect them to actually ship 6700 before 6700K are readily available, then again, I wasn't expecting a papyrus launch from Intel circa 2015.

Back