Finally! Snapdragon 865’s CPU beats the Apple

erek

[H]F Junkie
Wow!

"For those of you that want the best performance, then clearly the Snapdragon 865 is going to be a must-have. But, if like me, you tend to keep your smartphone for two (or more years) then the question is, should you upgrade from the Snapdragon 855?

I have a Snapdragon 855 device and I am enjoying its performance and battery life. My previous device was the Exynos version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the bump in performance is noticeable. Will I break my rule and upgrade within a year? Having seen these initial results, I must say that I am tempted. It will, of course, depend on what 2020’s devices look like. But I am thinking maybe the Pixel 5 will finally be the perfect phone — a well-blended mix of performance, battery life (as long as we don’t get another Pixel 4!), and computational photography. We will see!"

https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-865-beats-apple-a13-1066243/

A future CPU that isn't even in a handset yet is going to be faster than one that was released to market months ago? Well, I am shocked I say. SHOCKED.

What's next? A blog post predicting that the 2020 iPhone will be faster than the 2019 model?

Last edited:
A future CPU that doesn't isn't in a handset yet is going to be faster than one that was released to market months ago?

Agree.

It is good that they are basically at parity in performance. Whatever the difference is between the 865 and Apple's cpu that releases at the same time, it will likely be much smaller than what it has been historically.

I bought the note7 because the benchmarks/specs said it was faster than the iPhone 6s but it was absolute garbage. UI was slow and it just felt like I had to wait for everything. Thank God for the battery problems, which allowed me to trade it in for free.

I know everyone has their own preferences, but I will never let a benchmark or specs sway my decision on a phone again.

Anything android runs like a dog. I'll take a iPhone any day of the week .
That's not true anymore actually. The Note 10 Plus and Pixel 4 XL I had were blazing fast. But I ended up going back to the iPhone with the Pro Max. Android is a very good OS now, but there are still too many compatibility/support issues and I just can't give up my Apple Watch because there are literally zero competitors for it in the Android world.

That's not true anymore actually. The Note 10 Plus and Pixel 4 XL I had were blazing fast. But I ended up going back to the iPhone with the Pro Max. Android is a very good OS now, but there are still too many compatibility/support issues and I just can't give up my Apple Watch because there are literally zero competitors for it in the Android world.
Another problem I have with Android is the short life of product support.

My iPhone 7+ is still chugging along great with frequent updates.

I bought the note7 because the benchmarks/specs said it was faster than the iPhone 6s but it was absolute garbage. UI was slow and it just felt like I had to wait for everything. Thank God for the battery problems, which allowed me to trade it in for free.

That's because many of these companies install a bunch of bloatware onto their handsets that really hurts performance with Samsung probably being among the worst of them. If you get a phone from a company that does zero or minimal changes to the system (Google Pixel, Motorola, etc.) then the UI can be extremely fast. I have a 3+ year old ZTE Axon 7 which runs on an 'ancient' Snapdragon 820 and it's quite fast on everything I use (except for some huge websites that are somewhat slow loading but that might just be FF).

Anything android runs like a dog. I'll take a iPhone any day of the week .

Nope. My Galaxy 10+ has between 59% and 69% remaining battery when I go to bed each night. Camera is excellent. And it's fast.

The last monthly android update was pushed to my phone 2 days after release. So like Dec 3rd for the Dec 1st patch level. Can't complain about anything really..

That's because many of these companies install a bunch of bloatware onto their handsets that really hurts performance with Samsung probably being among the worst of them. If you get a phone from a company that does zero or minimal changes to the system (Google Pixel, Motorola, etc.) then the UI can be extremely fast. I have a 3+ year old ZTE Axon 7 which runs on an 'ancient' Snapdragon 820 and it's quite fast on everything I use (except for some huge websites that are somewhat slow loading but that might just be FF).
Ah that's cool. I'll keep that in mind for my next phone upgrade. I have no brand loyalty but I have had better experience with iOS.

I will be very interested to see what Apples CPU/GPU look like when this thing actually gets released to market. That said I will not likely ever use one, in terms of preference if it can answer email and load web pages I don't really care what I am using for a mobile device, but having to support 38 other (non technical) phone users I doubt I will ever switch this place from being iOS. With Apple you get what you get, it is the phone equivilant of vanilla icecream, but the lack of built in "extras" and Apple's control over what can and can't be done to the phone dramatically limits user issues in my case. That and Apple and our carrier basically throw phones at us, it would be more expensive for me to use Androids at this stage.

Android is a very good OS now, but there are still too many compatibility/support issues and I just can't give up my Apple Watch because there are literally zero competitors for it in the Android world.

I haven't used Apple watch at all just seen it.
But my Huawei first edition can take sms and calls, send messages, control music, measure my vitals, install different skins, show time/weather/battery etc and other things I forgot.
What is so special Apple Watch can do that I miss?

Come on people, just buy/use whichever phone WORKS BEST FOR YOU, & stop these nonsensical debates about which is better/faster etc......everyone likes/dislikes what they like/dislike, and these discussions could potentially go on forever.......

a phone is a phone is a phone after all :)

A future CPU that doesn't isn't in a handset yet is going to be faster than one that was released to market months ago? Well, I am shocked I say. SHOCKED.

What's next? A blog post predicting that the 2020 iPhone will be faster than the 2019 model?

Well if you've been following mobile hardware for a while, you'd know that Apple's A-series chips have been 2-3 generations ahead of Qualcomm, so if this clickbait headline were true, it would be quite an accomplishment for Qualcomm.

Unfortunately without even clicking on the article, I already know it's not true outside of multi-threaded tasks, and even if it were otherwise true, it wouldn't translate to much on Android considering it's considerably more resource intensive to do anything compared to iOS, and then there's the consideration of Qualcomm only supporting their chipsets for 2-3 years compared to Apple going for 5-6 years on their. Which seems to be the main contributor as to why no Android device gets supported for more than 3 years outside of Nvidia devices where... *drum-roll please*... they design and produce their own Tegra SoCs just like Apple.

We have everything from iPhone 6+ (kids) to 11 Pro in the household and it’s amazing how (a) each device was once top-of-class and (b) all remain useful/viable today. We are living in a golden age for old hardware. Vintage x86 has tremendous enthusiasm andf support. Windows 10 remains fast andf runs on a wide variety of HW. Same for iOS, and iPhones do not seem to age much. In this milieu I kind of wish Android devices would keep up; they seem like the one major disposable device due to lack of support.

Last edited:
I haven't used Apple watch at all just seen it.
But my Huawei first edition can take sms and calls, send messages, control music, measure my vitals, install different skins, show time/weather/battery etc and other things I forgot.
What is so special Apple Watch can do that I miss?
The apps, which are incredibly lacking on WearOS as well as Samsung’s Tizen. If you’ve never used the Apple Watch then you wouldn’t understand.

My Note 8 with a Snapdragon 835 is plenty fast for me - after taking 30 minutes to disable or uninstall Samsung's endless list of bloatware each update.

Wow!

"For those of you that want the best performance, then clearly the Snapdragon 865 is going to be a must-have. But, if like me, you tend to keep your smartphone for two (or more years) then the question is, should you upgrade from the Snapdragon 855?

I have a Snapdragon 855 device and I am enjoying its performance and battery life. My previous device was the Exynos version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the bump in performance is noticeable. Will I break my rule and upgrade within a year? Having seen these initial results, I must say that I am tempted. It will, of course, depend on what 2020’s devices look like. But I am thinking maybe the Pixel 5 will finally be the perfect phone — a well-blended mix of performance, battery life (as long as we don’t get another Pixel 4!), and computational photography. We will see!"

https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-865-beats-apple-a13-1066243/

If you aren’t familiar with Speed Test G, it is a test suite, which I (Gary Sims) have written using the best parts of a “traditional” speed test (opening apps one after the other to see which device can complete the sequence first)

How the hell is that a CPU benchmark?

I disagree. I don't feel like I miss any app on my Android watch.

My OnePlus 7t runs buttery smooth.

Agreed, my Pixel 2 is still just as smooth as the day I brought it.

You don't really notice the difference between the iPhone opening a webpage in 100ms, and the Android phone opening the same webpage in 200ms.
And application multitasking/switching will be just-as smooth (because that's more dependent on memory management, and multiple cores).

If you don't really push you r phone ot the limits with productivity or high-end games, you will have a hard time noticing a difference in FEEL between unmodified Android versus iOS (for a phone with "enough" processing power). If it opens things up faster than you can detect WHEN USING THE THING, then it might as well be identical.

Last edited:
You don't really notice the difference between the iPhone opening a webpage in 100ms, and the Android phone opening the same webpage in 200ms.

If you're sober, you notice the difference. A 100ms Android delay would be like using an iPhone while your BAC is .15.

With PCs, CPU performance will matter for many. It's meaningless to me for mobile/tablet. I am bought into the Apple ecosystem for phones and iPads. Only thing I will compare is how well the new iPhones do compared to my current model, and even than, not any earlier than 3 years. If i was into Android, then i might compare against other androids to choose one. Cross platform...meh!

I use gesture shortcuts.
Pretty sure I'm opening apps much faster on my Android than you do on your iPhone.
Especially since I'm using Sammy's Note 10 which is basically magic.

Tons of people are into Apple because they want hassle free experience.
I'm into Android for customizing. I put a bit of work into it and it's a ton better experience than what I have on iPhone (which I use for work, because I'm forced to).

.. If you’ve never used the Apple Watch then you wouldn’t understand.

Agreed.

He doesn't know the awesome oneness found when praying to Steve Jobs. You MUST make the monthly pilgrimage to the Apple store, and tithe as much as possible. You will be rewarded with the new shiny, shown to have POSITIVE mental health benefits. Missing the pilgrimage has been show to have NEGATIVE health effects... YOU MUST PRAY to the god of the shiny trinkets.

Once you have accepted Steve Jobs into your heart, you are SAVED and forever changed. NO ONE ELSE can possibly understand...

Agreed.

He doesn't know the awesome oneness found when praying to Steve Jobs. You MUST make the monthly pilgrimage to the Apple store, and tithe as much as possible. You will be rewarded with the new shiny, shown to have POSITIVE mental health benefits. Missing the pilgrimage has been show to have NEGATIVE health effects... YOU MUST PRAY to the god of the shiny trinkets.

Once you have accepted Steve Jobs into your heart, you are SAVED and forever changed. NO ONE ELSE can possibly understand...
Lol. I didn't mean it like that. I just tried very hard to find an Apple Watch alternative when I was on Android and there just isn't one at the moment that's at the same level. So I moved back to the iPhone. I'm not brand loyal, but the Apple Watch really is the best smart watch right now.

Back