Finally retiring the Q6600 -SLACR?

Eagle923

Limp Gawd
After a great run with my Q6600 SLACR build I've got the itch for a new system. My current build is:
CPU: Q6600
RAM: 4 gb DDR 2
MOB: Gigabyte P35 mobo
HDD: Crucial M4 SSD
GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2gb
PSU: Corsair HX 620w
Monitor: Dell 27" Ultrasharp (2560x1440)

All in a generic no-name grey case.

I'm going to re-use the items in pink above, plus my keyboard/mouse.
I've pretty much decided on the Intel 4790k since I use my CPUs for quite a few years, but I need a good motherboard, memory and case. I live 10 minutes away from the Columbus, OH Microcenter.

Here is my Microcenter "Wish List" with prices of things I am looking at. Are there any much better deals or better rated motherboards, memory, GFX?

My main questions are:

1) Should I grab 2x4gb DDR3 (8gb total) of some sort, 4x4 or 2x8 (16gb totals)? Any brand/price? I typically have used Crucial Ballistix from Microcenter just out of habit.

2) Would the HD6950 graphics card be a major bottleneck here, or is it going to last a bit longer? I mainly play older games for now (Fallout NV, Skyrim, WoW) because my system currently doesn't handle much more. But I'm open to all games.

Last edited:
Well with the z97 boards they are dual channel, so I would suggest baring ridiculous price differences to do the 2x8 gb sticks. In general I have found it easier with fewer sticks, plus if you feel a need you can always upgrade later.

If you look here you can do 2x8 for 123$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16820231528

Looks like a fancy board with m.2 ssd support too :)

For the gpu I would set aside an amount you want to spend on an upgrade, as the 290x's have been around $250 with rebates last week, then pull the trigger when you see something that you cant resist. Your 6950 is right around a radeon 260 /7850 now or a Geforce 750ti / 660 GTX. What resolution are you playing at as well might make a bit of difference.

Last edited:
1) The RAM set that rhansen5_99 is a fantastic deal for 16GB of RAM. So I highly recommend jumping on that today if possible as the normal price for that set is usually around $160.

2) Try it with the new system and see what happens. If it doesn't provide the level of performance you want at the level of eye quality you want, replace it. Everyone has different standards/thresholds on acceptable performance.

As for your planned setup:
Ditch that case as it's a low quality case, only comes with one 120mm fan, and doesn't have much space behind the motherboard for cable management. Spend the extra $15 for the better Corsair Graphite 230T: It comes with three 120mm fans, has far more room behind the motherboard tray for cable management, and is of higher quality.

I would only recommend the Spec-02 if it was like $20. Any more than that and you're getting ripped off.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good advice on the case! I was hoping my graphics card would hold out a bit for now, so I will try it before ordering another. It should be fine since I dont have any newer games right now that would really push it.

I've ordered the RAM. It is almost $40 cheaper than the next best deal I found and its higher rated.

Yeah I was gonna also agree with 16gb. May as well grab it while you're upgrading, and see how you fare with your new CPU before upgrading video card.

If you game, and having played the latest titles and waiting for the upcoming stuff for 2k15, 8GB is not enough. 16GB is making sure you don't shoot yourself in the feet when prices go up and you find yourself in a position where you're border lining 8gigs of usage.

Back