Finally quit World of Warcraft

The only time I ever played WoW was when my roommate had to go to work and was in the middle of an instance so I finished it out for him. I'm part of a LAN group that saw a MAJOR drop in attendance after WoW was released. We went from selling out 70 spot LANS to having trouble filling up 25 man LANs. We're on the upswing again, filling up 30-35 seat events, but nothing like it was.

The other reasons I am very anti-WoW deal with my friends, had one friend who was a very well versed gamer with an active social life, he quit his job, dropped out of school and broke up with his girlfriend in his quest to get Grand Marshall. Very sad. Another one of my friends was in the process of getting his girlfriend out of her half-open shell, but after she started playing WoW, thats all she did, and he played it with her, and I pretty much stopped seeing him.

There are only 2 possible MMO's that I might play and would give me a change of heart. If they make a Firefly/Serenity based MMO, I'm all over that. That or a Pirate based MMO, but I've heard Pirates of the Burning Seas has a pretty bad level grind, so I'm reticent about that one too.

WoW is digital heroin. The only way to beat it is to quit. I pulled that needle outta my arm a few months ago...and I'll be damned if it ever goes back in.

WoW is digital heroin. The only way to beat it is to quit. I pulled that needle outta my arm a few months ago...and I'll be damned if it ever goes back in.

So damn true. Did the same thing about 3 months ago and it was a good decision... plus I made 600 bucks :D

I quit EQ about 2 years ago and never looked back. Was in one of the top5 raiding guilds at the time. Was one of the top100 warriors in all EQ. Just got to be the same thing, and the shift in raid content design was really bothering me.

But hell, made $1300 from it. :)

good for you

WOW is one of the worst things to happen to gaming and it's a ripoff
it ruins marriages, jobs and wastes lives
any "game" with no end is not worth playing, it's to generate $ for blizzard
play something that you actually finish, or better yet play soemthing like date the girl, ride the motorcycle, travel to europe

Congrats. Just a few weeks ago I celebrated my first WoW-less year! :D

I'm not sure WoW is anymore to blame for making people hermits than video game violence is for making people kill people. It just gives people an avenue to do what they want. People had love affairs through telegraphs a long time ago, the internet didn't invent that phenomimon too. I do think its sad that people get addicted to such a crappy game when there are much better games out there.

Anyways, when ANYTHING first comes out, its fun because its different. When Pac-Man first came out, it was fun too. The new expansion coming out offers WHAT that is new? A new area to explore??? Pfffftt, big deal. A few new classes/races or both, again, pfffttt, big deal. Its the burning crusade all over again.....Oh, I see now, thats what ya meant by BC.......Pfffffttt again.

I'll go one further on that.....I had quit prior to "BC". Then I saw some screenies and kinda got bit by the WoW bug again, so I bit back and bought the expansion. I got to level 27 and then, I just never logged back in again. Sure, seeing new eye candy seems cool, but the game play itself NEVER changed. It didnt matter what class you were or what side you were on. It was EXACTLY the same gameplay and so will the "LK".

I will NOT be bitten again. WoW is history to me and many others for the same damn reason....BORING!!!!!

Sounds like you described almost every expansion that ever came out for a computer game. Did you really expect the expansion to do something more than add new areas, new graphics, items, areas etc etc?

I don't think i have ever bought an expansion to any game that made a huge change in how the game actually played. What were you expecting?

~Orange Box (TF2, HL, Portal)
~Crysis (crap)
~Bioshock (short)
~Unreal (crap)
~Guitar Hero (crap)
~Call of Duty 4 (short and crap)
~Gears of War(Crap)
~Supreme Commander (crap)
~Command & Conquer
~The Witcher
~World in Conflict

This is just a small list.

Okd

I'm not sure WoW is anymore to blame for making people hermits than video game violence is for making people kill people. It just gives people an avenue to do what they want. People had love affairs through telegraphs a long time ago, the internet didn't invent that phenomimon too. I do think its sad that people get addicted to such a crappy game when there are much better games out there.

I totally agree a game is not addictive its your personality.

If a game WAS addictive then everyone be would in the same boat and we'd all have a bunch of WoW zombies locked up in their rooms scared to come out!

I like to play WoW because it gives me something to break up the monotonous day at work when its slow or something to kill time when I'm not doing a lot on during nights.

I played WoW until I was lvl 34 and then I didnt see an end to the game and quit. I realized that all I was doing was running around and killing things over and over again. I realized that the only time other people were around was in Org and instances. I realized that after the South Park spoof of WoW I would turn into a fat slob eating chips off of the blubber layer attached to my frontside(not really, but not something that I want to do).

So, I bought Orange Box and COD4 and have been having fun ever since, I am also not a fat slob...thankfully.

QFT. Addiction is a personality thing, it isn't caused by a videogame. People with these kinds of problems would just get addicted to something else otherwise.

I played WoW until I was lvl 34 and then I didnt see an end to the game and quit. I realized that all I was doing was running around and killing things over and over again. I realized that the only time other people were around was in Org and instances. I realized that after the South Park spoof of WoW I would turn into a fat slob eating chips off of the blubber layer attached to my frontside(not really, but not something that I want to do).

So, I bought Orange Box and COD4 and have been having fun ever since, I am also not a fat slob...thankfully.

So now all you do is run around killing Demomen and other soldiers, instead of killing other magical people and beasts, all day? You hardly scratched the surface of the game, but of course, playing a different game magically cures everything... :rolleyes: .

QFT. Addiction is a personality thing, it isn't caused by a videogame. People with these kinds of problems would just get addicted to something else otherwise.

Where it is a personality thing, it could also be a jewish thing. When I pay to play a game, you better damn well be certain I'm going to get my moneys worth :p lol. Let me say this, I smoked cigarettes, dipped, drank like a fish, and many other "addictive" things in High school. I don't mean on occasion, I mean walking out back and smoking, driving off campus and smoking, having fat dips in in the middle of class. I don't mean for 1 year, or 2 years, I mean the WHOLE time I was in HS. (How do you get that shit. I had older brothers and older friends ;) :p )

Everyone I know who was there right along with me were fiends. I quit the day I graduated (I still drink on occassion), tobacco has never had a grip on me, but yet, I spent so much time in WoW it seriously made me sick.

I'm not one of those preaching idiots that thinks everyone should quit. The game itself is great and I won't lie, I miss it, but I missed going out and doing stuff a little more :p.

One thing you can notice about people you know who play wow and are somewhat addicted. Their personality changes, they only leave their rooms to shit, and eat. You ask them to go somewhere with you, and they'll make every little excuse they can think of to justify sitting in their room. (I have many friends that still play wow :p I make fun of them cause they're just like that. Just like I was :D )

So now all you do is run around killing Demomen and other soldiers, instead of killing other magical people and beasts, all day? You hardly scratched the surface of the game, but of course, playing a different game magically cures everything... :rolleyes: .

Playing a FPS takes not even a quarter of the time to get your gaming 'fix'. You always feel you have to do EVERYTHING you can within the time you have on MMO's, not just WoW. Some people can get up and walk away, some can't. Just the way it is. Just like I'm willing to bet if I asked some of you to stop smoking for a day, drinking, masturbating, whatever your 'habit' is, it'd be hard ;). No pun on masturbating.

I might be in the miniority here, but for me WoW has been an awesome experience.

I've played CS and CS:S since 99. Pretty much everyday. You wanna talk about repetitive? From that I did build a good group of real life friends to lan with and hang out with. After ragging them for years about WoW I finally broke down and played the free trial starting Dec. 18. I haven't played any other game, except for portal, since that day.

I ragged them about everything, from the fact that it looked boring to having to pay a monthly fee. I really didn't realize all I missed. I love questing on my own to build up decent xp but I also enjoy running dungeon instances with my higher lvl friends as they help me get good drops and build decent setups for my character. I'm currently rolling a lvl 27 human shadow priest.

Maybe it will get old for me after awhile, but for now I know there's alot left for me to discover and enjoy and I'm taking my time doing so. Its also great to feel free from the shackles of competitive CS and the outright immaturity of league play. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for calling CS players immature and not WoW players, but so far in my experience WoW players have been much more helpful and respectful.)

I stopped playing WoW 2 years ago . My girlfriend helped me a lot to make me understand i was playing too much . And she was right when i look back.

It was fun , I had good time playing this game and I have no regret at all .

I think he was referring to a sense of closure in games, finish campaigns, levels... there are ends to the orange box and COD4, single player-wise, at least.

Something that isn't as progressive is not as likely to suck you in as much as something like WoW, where you're goal is to make your character more powerful... which the bar gets raised every 6 months or less with arena gear, new instances, expansions... it's endless.

NO one in WoW is satisfied, if they were, they wouldn't keep on playing.

I think he was referring to a sense of closure in games, finish campaigns, levels... there are ends to the orange box and COD4, single player-wise, at least.

Hit the nail on the head. I played several MMOs(WoW, LOTRO, EVE and the POTBS Beta) and found that you just keep on killing and killing with no storyline whatsoever.

I also remember that during the time that I did play WoW I stopped going outside, hanging out with friends and just sat in front of the computer for months killing the same boar over and over(albeit a higher level one so I got my XP).

In other games, even things like Oblivion and Witcher there is a story and an ending, so you feel satisfied that you finished something. If WoW were not an endless game there would be no point to play after you beat it, thereby no point to pay anymore. Since Blizzard wants to make a lot of money they made an endless game that millions of people keep paying and never finish, so theoretically, someone could be paying Blizzard forever(or at least until the game stops being supported).

WoW was not a bad game originally, but after seeing some of the kids at my HS that played it, seeing how they were fat, nasty and pimply, I quit. Cold Turkey.

It is the same thing over and over. And now all I see is the epic dudes.
We are doing this but you don't have epics...NOOB or Fing NOOOOOOB

Its all the same old same old.
HOPE that your current 70 won't be on the nerf bat this patch....great fun
Kill 50 trying to get 10 drops of something for 2k exp

Make a new chr... new spells and skills change up the game but its still the same old S##$%

its old...hope more people post of new games
I still think Diablo II/LOD with its more direct play with no quest is still a LOT better and more fun game.

Congrats on breaking the habit. I quit after 10 months when my marriage was in shambles and I was bored with the game. Things are much better now.

The main thing I was bored with was the lack of customizing my own character. I played Asheron's Call and loved that if you really wanted to run fast you could just keep pumping XP into Sprint. Of course it would cost you bumping up other areas. But at least each character was different. AC2 killed that, and WoW just seems like everyone was the same.

Since quitting WoW I've tried to limit my online gaming, and I've been pretty successful with it - I've dropped from 60+ hours/week to 2-4 hours/week (in addition to full time job and marriage).

Whats BC? Or did you mean BG (BattleGrounds)?

Well, you kinda did agree with me dude. "first came out".

When it first came out, it WAS fun, but thats when it first came out, after doing it for awhile, it joins the same aspect as what we are talkin about....BORING!!!!

Anyways, when ANYTHING first comes out, its fun because its different. When Pac-Man first came out, it was fun too. The new expansion coming out offers WHAT that is new? A new area to explore??? Pfffftt, big deal. A few new classes/races or both, again, pfffttt, big deal. Its the burning crusade all over again.....Oh, I see now, thats what ya meant by BC.......Pfffffttt again.

I'll go one further on that.....I had quit prior to "BC". Then I saw some screenies and kinda got bit by the WoW bug again, so I bit back and bought the expansion. I got to level 27 and then, I just never logged back in again. Sure, seeing new eye candy seems cool, but the game play itself NEVER changed. It didnt matter what class you were or what side you were on. It was EXACTLY the same gameplay and so will the "LK".

I will NOT be bitten again. WoW is history to me and many others for the same damn reason....BORING!!!!!

Now, I will admit, if Blizzard had included some sort of MOD creation applications as well as a Mapping application, it might have held my interest further. Valve DOES do this and IMO is THE BEST thing a game company can do for a game.....allow the player to create what he/she wants to see in a game, chances are, there will be LOTS of other people who like those creations too. Blizzard wont ever do that and although having been the big dawgs in the industry for quite some time now, this ONE aspect will eventually be there downfall.
I said I had fun when the expansion came out because of the new lands, spells and instances. And you trying to prove my opinion wrong?
okay, I guess I don't get an opinion

Don't get my original post wrong. I don't hate the game or anything. In fact, I can honestly say that its the best game that I have ever played. I just got bored with the lack of content I got to the point where I HAD to depend on others to play the game. I wasn't going anywhere in game and every option I had (farming money for my epic flyer, heroic instance for primals or BGs) felt boring to me. I reached the point where I would rather not play than grind out any of the above options.

On that note, I think everybody should try the game. I don't regret buying it and I have a LOT of fond memories about it. I even remember going to gamestop with a new friend I made at work and camped out for BC. I was about 20 guys back from the front of the line and when I got there I couldn't buy one (preorder only and I didn't preorder). I sold my spot in line for $20 and stopped at walmart on the way home to see 4 shelves of it stocked to the brim and absolutely no wait for them (even the collectors edition).

I quit right before the expansion. I was playing since launch. It was my second attempt to do so. I quit for about a month but came back. It felt really good to quit for good. I have a lot of fond memories of the game but sometimes, it is better to take a break and do something new. Sometimes it is good to have an end.

I've been playing for a month now, and I see everything that people have complained about... but I still can't help but log in. It really is just a damn fun game.... too fun really.

I have been playing since launch. I quit after twin-emps kill. Came back for bc and played a BE rogue to 19 and got bored then quit again because leveling is boring. Came back during winter break got the BE to 29 and wsg'd for awhile but then I quit again because leveling is boring and the content is the same.

When I logged my gnome during winter break and went to outland I got a pm from my some random that asked me where are got my bloodfang and aq gear from.

IMO blizz would have a better game if they didn't raise the level cap and made gear have different stats in instances so progression and content wouldn't stop. They killed of so much content by raising the cap. So many noobs have never seen rag, nef, or cthun. I wonder how many guilds are going to kill illidan by the new xpac?

One of the nice things about FFXI is the devs have said that they will NEVER increase the level cap. That didn't stop them from creating lots and lots of new content,some of it harder than hell! Like the real hell, not some game mode ya know fire? brimstone? YOUR flesh is actually on fire not that of a avatar on your screen.

i quite WoW... hmm about 1 1/2 yrs ago. One of the best life decisions I made. I won't deny the game is fun, otherwise some 9.5 million people wouldn't be playing it. At the same time, it can be super addictive. Its like the just one more hour thing, except on crack so its like just one more day.

Honestly, selling your account is the only way you'll truly ever quit I think.

I'm actually thinking of canceling my WoW account for now as i'm currently a lot more interested in EQ2 atm. (It just is more "Fun" to play atm..lol)
Was considering going back to EvE as i really liked it but had to cancel due to real life stuff that i'm over with now.
I like WoW, but as i haven't really logged on in the last few weeks due to playing EQ2 and other games, ect, i figure it may be a good idea to keep it on the backburner till i decide when and if i want to play it again. I find it not hard to stop playing it though actually. It's fun but not the greatest game imho.

I stopped playing WoW 2 years ago . My girlfriend helped me a lot to make me understand i was playing too much . And she was right when i look back.

It was fun , I had good time playing this game and I have no regret at all .

That's a good girl. You hang on to her.

I said I had fun when the expansion came out because of the new lands, spells and instances. And you trying to prove my opinion wrong?
okay, I guess I don't get an opinion

Naw dude, not at all. Your opinion, your right.

I was just pointing out that even though BC was new to you at the time, OVER time, it will become the same as the original, which, after time, becomes boring to people (which is why they create expansions to begin with). But, if all that happens is its a new area to explore, yet same ol game play, nothing changes it.

I will however say one of the things I really enjoyed about WoW was trying to make a buck. I remember there being many times my friends would ask me to go with them and hunt, but I was glued to the AH (auction house to those who dont know).

Finding deals, buying low, selling high. It was very addictive. My friends would soon be 10+ levels above me before Id go back out to hunt.

Soon, it was the only thing I was logging in to do cause it was more fun to me than actually playing the game. I think I made upwards of 200g before I even hit level 30. That may not be much, but I was doing it without camping hunting grounds to get special drops, it was like the stock market, heh.

That really is one of WoW's strong points, it's NOT just the same thing (i.e. Hack n Slash). You don't like the grind? Work on collecting stuff for your professions. Do some PVP in the BG. Browse the auction house... don't forget the neutral ones! Do an Instance. Help out some low lvls with their quests. Chat with friends. Etc.

At its heart it's still a RPG but I think Blizzard does enough to break up the monotony, of course, repetition is there if you really want it.

Its not fun anymore. I got 2 characters to 70 and geared them both out (Rogue in all epics and a pvp mage in all arena gear). I would log in whenever I was bored.. but then I realized that I really didn't do anything in game between raids anyways. So I was logging in... and being bored in game.

It finally settled in that this game has no end. For every epic that dropped for me, I found that the sense of accomplishment wasn't there. I wanted the gear, but when I finally got it, I realized that I was exactly where I was before I got the gear, and that sense of accomplishment turned into a sense that even if I had completed Black Temple, I wouldn't ever feel satisfied. I know that you are supposed to play to enjoy the game, not to lust after certain items in game.. but when you whittle down the game to dailys and 2 raid days a week.. it leaves you empty and wanting the feeling that you got when you leveled your first character. The romance of finding new areas and leveling. Once that was gone, it was over for me.

I logged into my account on worldofwarcraft.com and canceled it. (Pats self on back).
Its weird.. in a way... I feel clean now.

How buddhist of you. Your post is a parallel on life. But you probably shouldn't quit life.

Congrats on quiting. I quit not too long ago, a lot of the same reason it's just not fun anymore. I wasn't that into PVP it feel so unbalanced to me (One of my 70's was a shaman haha). I raided all the way through kara but doing anything more then that you have to schedule time out of your life which just felt really unhealthy to me. I played for a total of close to 5 months in game, since release and I was just over it.

I don't miss it, i'm back into my other hobbies which I did before and I just feel better knowing when I play games now i'm not committing to 2-4 hour blocks just to actually accomplish anything so it's easier to break off if something else comes up.

i realized during the EQ beta that these mmorpgs were crack and would eventually leave you feeling empty, so then I didn't start one up again. I rule!

good for you

WOW is one of the worst things to happen to gaming and it's a ripoff
it ruins marriages, jobs and wastes lives
any "game" with no end is not worth playing, it's to generate $ for blizzard
play something that you actually finish, or better yet play soemthing like date the girl, ride the motorcycle, travel to europe

WoW is actually a very economical investment for the amount of hours most people put in for their money. Millions of people buy games like Bioshock and consider it a good investment, and that ended up being $10/hour.

Whether it's a good thing or not overall is a completely different question.

Back