Finally proof NVidia is EVIL!!!

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
We got a fun one for you today folks. We’re going to be talking about how Nvidia got its name and its fascinating history in Roman mythology. In Latin, invidia is the sense of envy, an intense gaze associated with malice and the “evil eye”. Invidia is also the Roman name for the ancient Greek “Titan” deity, Nemesis. Who’s the personification of hatred and jealousy in Roman mythology.

Her face was sickly pale, her whole body lean and wasted, and she squinted horribly; her teeth were discoloured and decayed, her poisonous breast of a greenish hue, and her tongue dripped venom. … Gnawing at others, and being gnawed, she was herself her own torment. „ ~ Ovid (about Invidia) in Metamorphoses​

She’s pitied by Roman deities, seen as a hideous and spiteful being. Seeking to poison all creation with the taint of hate, punishing those revelling in their own self-admiration and taking away wealth and fortune from those deemed undeserving. She’s often portrayed in the color green, which is closely associated with envy.

More linked to the Article here: Nvidia Is Of The Devil, No Seriously

Found it fascinating if nothing else!

Lol, Story telling at its best.

Minimal facts about Nvidia and how they got their name..., but interesting information about ....mythology.

Lol, Story telling at its best.

Minimal facts about Nvidia and how they got their name..., but interesting information about ....mythology.

Really? I think it explains it quite well. I don't need someone from Nvidia to pop in and say "and that's how we got our name, yup!"

Pretty open and shut here. And all kidding aside, fascinating place to pull name inspiration from.

That's one way to put it. Another way is that Nemesis was a goddess of retribution, punishing those having hubris and maintaining equilibrium in the affairs of mankind so there was never too much "good" or "evil" in the world.

Do people really pronounce the letter "n" as "in"? I always say and have heard "en".

Interesting article but I suspect it has more to do with the "vidia" part sounding like "video".

Top dog verified.

Where's Raja at !? (Q1? Q2 2017!?)

Nvidia already knows the 1080ti kills the first Vega SKU. Mark my words, sorry...

*edit*

*needs more RAJA. *

Last edited:
That's one way to put it. Another way is that Nemesis was a goddess of retribution, punishing those having hubris and maintaining equilibrium in the affairs of mankind so there was never too much "good" or "evil" in the world.

That aligns more with what I've read/been told. However, I'm no expert. I'm not really into Roman mythology the way I am with other early civilizations'.

Do people really pronounce the letter "n" as "in"? I always say and have heard "en".

Interesting article but I suspect it has more to do with the "vidia" part sounding like "video".

Probably some play on a mish-mash of both. I also refer to them as "en"vidia. Like the "en"th number of times something occurs.

Probably some play on a mish-mash of both. I also refer to them as "en"vidia. Like the "en"th number of times something occurs.
When I first saw them, I always assumed intentional misspelling or odd letter combinations was just part of video card marketing (nuh-vidia? or is there a leading nasalized n like in South Asian languages? Geh-Force? Is that a wilful mispronunciation or misspelling of g-force? Radeon? Surely unrelated to radio? Or is it a Latin verb but with an n at the end?), maybe in-line with some sort of poorly educated rapper name trend to make their brands look edgy. Yeah, basement dwellers like me like to feel real hard.:cool:

We got a fun one for you today folks. We’re going to be talking about how Nvidia got its name and its fascinating history in Roman mythology. In Latin, invidia is the sense of envy, an intense gaze associated with malice and the “evil eye”. Invidia is also the Roman name for the ancient Greek “Titan” deity, Nemesis. Who’s the personification of hatred and jealousy in Roman mythology.

Her face was sickly pale, her whole body lean and wasted, and she squinted horribly; her teeth were discoloured and decayed, her poisonous breast of a greenish hue, and her tongue dripped venom. … Gnawing at others, and being gnawed, she was herself her own torment. „ ~ Ovid (about Invidia) in Metamorphoses​
She’s pitied by Roman deities, seen as a hideous and spiteful being. Seeking to poison all creation with the taint of hate, punishing those revelling in their own self-admiration and taking away wealth and fortune from those deemed undeserving. She’s often portrayed in the color green, which is closely associated with envy.​
More linked to the Article here: Nvidia Is Of The Devil, No Seriously

Found it fascinating if nothing else!
This story is the equivalent of naming my son "Jack" then assuming he will be evil because there was once a serial killer named Jack the Ripper.

Nice mythology lesson as well as the source for the word "envy" and the phrase "green with envy". However, it's a bit of a clickbait thread title. :p

This story is the equivalent of naming my son "Jack" then assuming he will be evil because there was once a serial killer named Jack the Ripper.

Nice mythology lesson as well as the source for the word "envy" and the phrase "green with envy". However, it's a bit of a clickbait thread title. :p

While fun could be had with it, I think you are making a leap with your first statement.

While fun could be had with it, I think you are making a leap with your first statement.
I should have clarified I was specifically talking about your implication that Nvidia is evil (stated in the thread title) because of the evil mythological being named Invidia. That's why I said it was the equivalent of naming my son "Jack" and assuming he would be evil because of Jack the Ripper.

The story is quite interesting though. I'm sure the article you linked is spot on regarding the naming origin. The only question remaining is the choice to truncate the name to Nvidia instead of Invidia. I'm sure that was a bunch of marketing guys throwing darts at a board.

Its ALL TRUE!!! BAWAHAHAHA!
darksidecookie.jpg

en and in sound the exact same...

I used to like nvidia back in the day. They've gone from one of my favourite underdogs to pure evil. I am part of the problem, though, as I still continue to buy their products.

video please.
How to pronounce en- in English
How to pronounce in in English

While there are a couple different variations listed for both, the most common variation for each sound pretty much identical to me. There is some discussion here too as to how it should be pronounced:
Talk:Nvidia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to focus more on how hard or soft one lands on the 'n', but both sound nearly the same in "American English".

And here is a video of the splash screen saying the name:

All in all, for me at least, the difference between "in-vidia" and "en-vidia" is a wash.

This does explain a lot. Evil or not I will continue to buy their cards as long as they are magically delicious.

Well, if we listen to the co-founder, CEO, and President, we can determine the proper way to pronounce it. ;)

On a side note, I used to work with someone that pronounced it "nuh-vid-ee-uh". I gave up trying to correct the mispronunciation after the 500th attempt...

Wow, it never even crossed my mind that it could even enter someone's mind that in and en sound the same. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

But I guess there are those wack-jobs out there that pronounce milk as melk and pillow as pellow too.

I suppose we don't all get the opportunity to learn our vowel sounds in kindergarten.

It comes down to whether one wants to pronounce something correctly or just how they've always done it I suppose. Most people aren't going to correct you because they don't want to be confrontational.

The pronunciation of Nvidia is definitely open to interpretation, but definitely not something like inter and enter.

Wow, it never even crossed my mind that it could even enter someone's mind that in and en sound the same. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

But I guess there are those wack-jobs out there that pronounce milk as melk and pillow as pellow too.

I suppose we don't all get the opportunity to learn our vowel sounds in kindergarten.

It comes down to whether one wants to pronounce something correctly or just how they've always done it I suppose. Most people aren't going to correct you because they don't want to be confrontational.

The pronunciation of Nvidia is definitely open to interpretation, but definitely not something like inter and enter.

Well, I didn't want to be mean about it because different accents/regions hear and say things differently. But to deny that there is a difference at a base level, is just inaccurate.

I actually wasn't trying to be mean. I do understand some dialects pronounce things a bit differently. Sorry if I came across like a J3RK. It just surprised me that more than one person stated they were the same as a matter of fact. And I do believe you meant enaccurate. :p

That's the same link in the OP. Zion Halcyon just changed the title in order to troll. This is what his post here looks like in code:
Code:
[URL='http://wccftech.com/nvidias-name-origins-history-roman-mythology/']Nvidia Is Of The Devil, No Seriously[/URL]

Oh sweet jesus, not to troll. It was tongue in cheek humor - I wasn't even being remotely serious with the title. :meh:

Back