Finally made it into the 4Ghz club... (its about time.)

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
well, after suffering through God only knows of how many months of trying different types of CPUs in hopes to reach that almighty 4Ghz number I decided to try the LGA775 (3.0 530J) scene out and boy am I glad I did.

Here's a screenie of what she's running at so far. I havent tried for anything more because I want to let P95 cook for a while to see if its going to be okay. judging by the looks of things, it looks like I have a winning setup. I cannot believe how low my temps are considering I'm only using air cooling (Thermaltake SilentTower cooler) on this Prescott which we all know arent exactly known to be cool running chips.

prescott_CPU_shot.jpg

-This is the second round of P95 and so far so good. I'll let it cook for a few hours more and I'll then try to turn up the wick even more to see if she's got anything left.

I couldnt be more happier than what I am now. its soooo nice having these clock speeds w/o having my computer sounding like a 747 jet airliner sitting next to me. thank the Lord.... :)

congrats, what chip are you using?
edit.. nvm prescot ;)

daaang, thats awesome, 1.0ghz overclock on air. What kind of mobo is that? I wanna do that with my 3.4ghz 550 Prescott.

thats impressive for a 3.0 i had a hard enough time hititng 4.1ghz with my old 3.4e

AuDioFreaK39 said:
daaang, thats awesome, 1.0ghz overclock on air. What kind of mobo is that? I wanna do that with my 3.4ghz 550 Prescott.

I'm using the Fatal1ty motherboard which is funny because most people tend to say how overrated this motherboard is.

well, I guess it cant be too overrated considering how well its running in my system. ;)

here's a shot I took of everything in its place. I must say that this Thermaltake SilentTower cooler does a very nice job at keeping my CPU quite cool at very low noise levels.

lian_li9.jpg

VERY nice set up.... Lian-Li, looks like an X850XT in there, etc

What other components? PSU?

The only problem I see.... is you're running your CD/DVD and HD on same IDE channel (slower).... on such a nice setup... I'd think you would have gotten a SATA HD.

I've been hearing good things about the 600's and some of the recent 500j's.

Seems they're much better at hitting 4Ghz.

chrisf6969 said:

The only problem I see.... is you're running your CD/DVD and HD on same IDE channel (slower).... on such a nice setup... I'd think you would have gotten a SATA HD.

Seems they're much better at hitting 4Ghz.
....30cap northwoods would hit 4ghz on air :D ....ahh im living in the past

chrisf6969 said:

I'm using an Antec 480W Neopower PSU.

I have to share one IDE channel because thats all this mobo has. as for the SATA thing, I had it once and it didnt do much for me other than breaking my wallet. (2 - 74GB Raptors werent cheap when they first came out.)

my results are actually surprising to me because I cant tell you how many times I've heard of people putting down the 530J chips because they werent anything special.

hmmm, a 1,000Mhz O/C is pretty special to me. heck, now that I think about it. the only time I ever had a better O/C w/ a P4 was when I had my 2.4C chip. good Lord, that baby ran 24/7 at 3.6Ghz. :eek:

ozziegn said:
hmmm, a 1,000Mhz O/C is pretty special to me. heck, now that I think about it. the only time I ever had a better O/C w/ a P4 was when I had my 2.4C chip. good Lord, that baby ran 24/7 at 3.6Ghz. :eek:

Yeah its a nice OC. My 2.4C does 3.6Ghz too. Well, at least it did before I upgrade to a crappy pair of 2x512. I figured since I was only running DDR speeds (300FSB @ 3:2) I could get any decent DDR400 turns out I was wrong. Now I'm limited to 284FSB with 3:2 and I had to disable Command Per Clock (in GAT) where before everything was on Auto.

I didn't say go buy 2 x raptors...... just any SATA so you have your drives on seperate channels. And SATA uses less CPU overhead in every test I've seen.

Congrats on the 4 gig.I have a 3.2 775 running on stock cooling at 4.90.These 775 chips are awesome!I idle at 48-52 and full load at 65.

Frank Castle said:
Congrats on the 4 gig.I have a 3.2 775 running on stock cooling at 4.90.These 775 chips are awesome!I idle at 48-52 and full load at 65.

Ummmm 4.9Ghz on stock cooling?! (not unless you live in an igloo)

I'm going to call bullshit on that one.

Show me some benchmarks.

Not that its impossible, just very improbable that you have that good of a chip. So pony up some proof.

chrisf6969 said:
Ummmm 4.9Ghz on stock cooling?! (not unless you live in an igloo)

I'm going to call bullshit on that one.

Show me some benchmarks.

Not that its impossible, just very improbable that you have that good of a chip. So pony up some proof.

I'll believe it. Got my "J" series chip below to 4.6ghz on the stock cooler. All the J's are figgin bad ass Overclocker's. 560J here. I stopped there and turned it back down to stock, i need mobo mods to get more and trying to finish a better cooler for my chip.

cell_491 said:
thats impressive for a 3.0 i had a hard enough time hititng 4.1ghz with my old 3.4e

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's no OC scaling with these prescotts. They all seem to top out bout the same spot.

*UPDATE*

I decided to turn the wick up a wee bit more. so far so good @ 4.1Ghz... :p

prescott_CPU_shot2.jpg

I'm clawing at 4 desperately, but it's not gonna happen till I can raise my voltage. My g/f is getting me a P4P800-E so I think it's likely with better than stock cooling and more volts. Prime fails after about an hour at 3.75 but runs 12 hrs on 3.7. Games run fine at 3.75 though.

3.76.jpg

First off welcome. 4+ghz is a great place to be :) Just don't get too zealous in your quest.

Next might want to upgrade to the newest CPU-Z as I think I remember there being a bug or 2 that was found in the last release or 2...

dammn very nice.

On some AMD boards, once you run SATA it screws up ur OC, have you experienced/noticed this?

MaMMa said:
dammn very nice.

On some AMD boards, once you run SATA it screws up ur OC, have you experienced/noticed this?

I dont use SATA drives.

gclg2000 said:
I'll believe it. Got my "J" series chip below to 4.6ghz on the stock cooler. All the J's are figgin bad ass Overclocker's. 560J here. I stopped there and turned it back down to stock, i need mobo mods to get more and trying to finish a better cooler for my chip.

Frank Castle said:

I'm gonna call BS on both of these. Are you guys talking about stable (Prime95 > 24 hours) overclocks or "LOL, I Booted into Windoze at 4.9GHZ!!!!!11" ?

and congratulations Ozzy, I joined a few weeks ago
http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/superpi_04.JPG

So would I be safe to say that I will be able to hit 4Ghz per core on the Pentium D's on a Vapochill?

USMC2Hard4U said:
So would I be safe to say that I will be able to hit 4Ghz per core on the Pentium D's on a Vapochill?
too early to say... i getting one core to 4ghz is already somewhat of a challenge, i dunno how lucky you'll have to be to get two of them there... but its probably very possible :)

especially with pressler.

ozziegn said:
I dont use SATA drives.

yea but u said u had 2 raptors above, just thought if you have SATA drives in does it make your oc any less

MaMMa said:
yea but u said u had 2 raptors above, just thought if you have SATA drives in does it make your oc any less

note when I said "had" as in past tence. I sold them a long time ago.

lithium726 said:
im getting one of those in a few days :D

3.0 30-cap NW SL6WK

The SL6WK's have some of the best luck with overclocking. I just got lucky on my SL6WU.

Spazilton said:
The SL6WK's have some of the best luck with overclocking. I just got lucky on my SL6WU.
Awesome :D
I totally apologize,I meant 4090 megahertz!I didnt know how to right that...lol
well, if 4.9ghz is 4900mhz, then 4.09ghz =4090mhz

Back