Finally got smooth UT3 lol

nintari

[H]ard|Gawd
ok so I finally got my gaming rig back up and going with a few upgrades :D

before I posted a thread where it seemed like my sons rig played smoother in UT3 even though he only had a single core 3500+ and a 7600gt with 1GB mem, where I had a x2 4400+, a 4850 and 2gb mem.

the main thing I noticed is my framerates would plummet down in to the 20s when I loaded up sanctuary went across the bridge to the jump platform and turned to face the main structure. and through the game I was getting peaks of 100+ FPS but still had those reallly really low points too

I tried all the tweaks people said, enabling frame rate smoothing, enableing v-sync and etc, and no luck at all

Well I upgraded to a e8400 (@ 3.6GHz), 3gb mem

With these upgrades I never fall below 55 fps as far as I can see (no AA or AF yet) and I get tremendous spikes in FPS now (270+). I am playing on a large 37" LCD @ 1360x768 60Hz all settings in game maxed out. If I enable Vsync to cap out at 60 the frame rate stays at a steady 55-60fps and I get no stuttering to the video or etc now, none it plays incredibly smooth.

I have tried different AA settings and etc and it seems like if I have more than 10fps difference in the game say I fall below 50fps at my minimum the stuttering and jerkyness comes back.

Just figured I would pass along what I have seen so far :)

Good to hear. I play a lot of ut3 as well. If you like to duel or play vctf add me on xfire "mobusta" and we can have a couple of games :D .

Yeah! I got out of UT3 on my 4200+ X2 because the performance was terrible even with my 8800GT.

I upgraded to an E8400 and 4GB memory, and haven't gone back to UT3. I'm gonna check it out again tonight!

waffletron as I said the sweet spot is a constant 55-60fps

you might be able to get higher but try to keep the minimum and max fps as close together as possible, or the stuttering occurs :(

waffletron as I said the sweet spot is a constant 55-60fps

you might be able to get higher but try to keep the minimum and max fps as close together as possible, or the stuttering occurs :(

The difference in FPS does not cause stuttering :)

Stuttering is caused by having little RAM and/or slow hard drive that is unable to load textures fast enough.

A stutter is when your game freezes for a second and then keeps playing

Tylerdurdened: I could understand that but UT3 seems incredibly sensitive to these dips and spikes, more so than any game I have played before, which really sucks cause I get upwards of 250+fps now lol

I have been playing the hell out of this game lately trying to get used to the maps. it has been a hwile since I had really gamed much so nice to fall back in for a bit. I like though (and I know I'll get flamed for this lmao) that I can use the Xbox 360 controller or keyboard and mouse. so whe nI want to do some casual playing I can lay back in bed, or sit back on the couch and use the controller. Obviously with the controller I am Not nearly as accutate as I am with the keyboard and mouse but still fun to play (not saying I am a pro with kb/mouse either lol).

whats fun is I have my sons machine setup as a gaming rig, my HTPC setup as a gaming rig and my bedroom PC is the main gaming rig, so I can do little LAN games. Guess I should start getting online and playing other people but my lack of skill and slow internet kinda frighten me lmao

Tylerdurdened: I could understand that but UT3 seems incredibly sensitive to these dips and spikes, more so than any game I have played before, which really sucks cause I get upwards of 250+fps now lol

I have been playing the hell out of this game lately trying to get used to the maps. it has been a hwile since I had really gamed much so nice to fall back in for a bit. I like though (and I know I'll get flamed for this lmao) that I can use the Xbox 360 controller or keyboard and mouse. so whe nI want to do some casual playing I can lay back in bed, or sit back on the couch and use the controller. Obviously with the controller I am Not nearly as accutate as I am with the keyboard and mouse but still fun to play (not saying I am a pro with kb/mouse either lol).

whats fun is I have my sons machine setup as a gaming rig, my HTPC setup as a gaming rig and my bedroom PC is the main gaming rig, so I can do little LAN games. Guess I should start getting online and playing other people but my lack of skill and slow internet kinda frighten me lmao

250? UT3 is FPS hardcapped by the engine to 90 FPS, online at least, are you playing against bots? If so, why? :p

Also, make sure you have Framerate Smoothing enabled in options, it was added with patch 1.1, and if that doesn't do the trick, enable Vsync

What did you have before you upgraded to the E8400 for the big framerate boost? Don't see it anywhere, maybe I missed it.

Tylerdurdened: just playing single player missons for now until I get used to it all again, then start playing online. Really I mostly play single player, or local LAN game with friends or my son and his friends (lol he is 10, man do I regret getting him in to PC gaming though... now I have to upgrade several machines at a time LMAO)

GenBanks: Before I had a X2 4400+ and my min framerate was always around the low 20's with this CPU I never really hit below 55, HOWEVER I did notice disableing framerate smoothing and v-sync I never fall below 65-70 fps it seems..... I have to go back in to look at that again cause that is just weird.

250? UT3 is FPS hardcapped by the engine to 90 FPS, online at least, are you playing against bots? If so, why? :p

Also, make sure you have Framerate Smoothing enabled in options, it was added with patch 1.1, and if that doesn't do the trick, enable Vsync

player>connection settings>LAN

;)

someone got me in to the original UT years ago then I started whooping his ass so he didnt want to play anymore lmao. Then I got in to 2k4 but never played it much online, mostly only deathmatch and the.... oh shoot what was the name of that... the ball game

so figuring I got in to those games a lot I picked up III, but havent plaed in a long time really so getting used to it all.

I can't tell you how many times I go to play warfare and just feel like I am lost on a map until I have played it a few times. I figure once I get used to it more I'll start getting online and play.

Back