finally going 64 bit

schapman

Gawd
So I'm thinking of making the switch to AMD64 and am wondering about motherboards. Right now I'm thinking of the ABIT AV8 3RD EYE and am wondering if this is a mistake? I'm not planning on switching to pci-e for quite a while so my AGP 9700 pro will do. I'm pairing it up with the socket 939 3000+.

Thanks for any input.

schapman said:
So I'm thinking of making the switch to AMD64 and am wondering about motherboards. Right now I'm thinking of the ABIT AV8 3RD EYE and am wondering if this is a mistake? I'm not planning on switching to pci-e for quite a while so my AGP 9700 pro will do. I'm pairing it up with the socket 939 3000+.

Thanks for any input.

not a mistake at all, I was actually planning on getting it.
There's no point in nForce 3 at the moment, the VIA board outperforms it clock-for-clock, has a working PCI/AGP lock and the NF3 lacks Soundstorm while the via has vinyl audio.

no point in NF3? :eek:

I would tend to disagree on that. It's like saying "no point going into space"; it just feels wrong.

well I just got the Abit AV8 board, and I believe if you are not planing to overclock, then it is a good board. I will be setting up the system by this weekend. I picked up the s939 3200+ with the MSI NX6600GT so I will keep ya all posted as how this board performs

I have the Abit and the epox 939 boards. Both are good overclockers. I must say that I am not an extreme overclocker so YMMV

ScHpAnKy said:
not a mistake at all, I was actually planning on getting it.
There's no point in nForce 3 at the moment, the VIA board outperforms it clock-for-clock, has a working PCI/AGP lock and the NF3 lacks Soundstorm while the via has vinyl audio.

uhm what planet are you from the nforce 3 has consistantly out performed the poopy via chipset left and right and overclocks better and higher.

personally i have 3 amd mobo's DFI Lanparty UT 250GB Chaintech VNF3-250 and ASUS K8N-E Deluxe.

my choice hands down overclocking or not ?? ASUS.

the chaintech is a total turd and they have massive issues with the AGP slot not running up to spec, meaning 3d performance no matter what card you have is crap. i have one of theseboards and in GAMES my 9800 XT runs like a 9700 Pro. Overclocking isnt very well and alot of people have issues with it.
i hear the ZNF3-250 is much better than the VNF so maybe go with that one.

The DFI is a huge pig slop. VERY VERY poor performing SATA. Dram overclocking features that are unnecessary and 90% of the people wont use and dont understand how to use them. They chose to go with Nvidia SATA all the way around instead of offering Nvidia sata and another like promise or Silicon image. this was a mistake since the nvidia sata controller sucks !!!!!!!!s. unstable overclocking. wierd raid configurations, it took me 2 days just to get the sata raid running stable with no overclocking. dont ask me why but its just the way it was. alot of people have issues with this board, and i have no idea why its said to be the best socket 754 board. also very poor cpu voltage. max is 1.55v

Asus - the 1 and ONLY bad thing i can say about this motherboard is that the vdimm only goes to 2.7v. the rev 2 boards go to 2.8.
the silicon image sata controller is friggin faster than shit, the overclocking is ROCK solid. onboard everything works like a charm.
this board is a real champion and gets my seal of approval with a slight drawback being the vdimm is lacking.
Plus it has 6 SATA ports 4 of them are Silicon Image and run like a beast. the silicon image controller allows you to run raid 5. this was the first board to offer sata raid 5 and it continues to be the best.

none of these boards have very good onboard sound. and ive never seen a board have any good onboard sound, its always very poor compared to my Audigy 2 ZS.

ALL and i mean ALLLLLLLL of these boards have a working agp/pci lock and anyone that tells you that the nforce 3 boards do not, is a retard, they fixed the agp/pci lock a long time ago.

i stopped using VIA chipsets way back in the Athlon 1.2ghz days. there was a reason for that and im glad i did. the via chipsets are problematic at best and via has the worst driver support in the business. They have consistantly taken the cries and pleading of their users and thrown it out the window. they dont care if their stuff is crap they just keep making more. they throw out drivers that might fiz one issue but cause 2 more on top of it.

you might want to look into the new SIS chip i hear its pretty damn nice but haven't been able to confirm this.

you are WAY WAY better off spending a little more money not much maybe 50 bucks and getting a AMD 64 3500+ socket 939. it not only outperforms the same mhz on a 754 chip but overclocks better.

I agree with the prevous post, as far a s Sis chipsets, I always liked them as of the last couple years. If anything, properly configurd stability would describe them well.

The746 and 748 chipsets gave the Nforce2's a good run for the $$$$. In everything besides gaming they were right up in performance in everything cept gaming and as regard to that mayme only a 5-7% difference in speed.The 755 is looking quite well in entry to mid level 64 bit mobo's as far as I can see.One to definitly watch as it matures. Believe it or not I never had any major issues with many of the rigs I've built for customers with ECs boards.

Little known is that they are one of the largest pcb fabricators in the world and supply many of the larger known brands of notebooks with sub-assembelies for their machines. The majority of their production is geared for OEM so enthusiats do not get to use manyof their products. Just my two cent opinion. ;)

Back