Finally bought a new Playbook, but I think it might be defective.

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, charging issues seem common for the Playbook but I've pretty much exhausted what I can go with Google. The Playbook will turn on and go to the "Update" screen but it always shows 0% battery and will never charge. I'm using the official Blackberry charger, also tried via USB into powered hub, but neither will charge it.

I've tried resetting it (+, -, and pwr for 10 sec), I've tried whatever + and pwr for 20 seconds does, I've tried stack charging about 20 times (red light charging over and over) but I can't get it to "pop out" of 0%, and it won't update or finish booting until it gets past 20%. Any ideas?

I'm not willing to install Blackberry's desktop crap because their installer has a warning that they collect personal information and register the device ID with RIM. No thanks.

Actually, I think the guy I bought it from supplied the wrong AC adapter, looking at the part and serial number it doesn't match up to the one that comes with the playbook. Also it's less than half the ampere rating. That'll do it. I'll update tomorrow when my overnighted quick charger comes in.

Ok, I got it to charge (to 30% in 10 hours using 850ma adapter, my original Droid charger), now I need to root this thing. Anyone got a good guide? Is the one at crackberry still valid?

Last edited:
Ok, I got it to charge (to 30% in 10 hours using 850ma adapter, my original Droid charger), now I need to root this thing. Anyone got a good guide? Is the one at crackberry still valid?

Is that safe? Why don't you go out and get the right adapter before you fry the device?

Why does everything on the intarwebs have to turn into a battle of the assholes?

Charging it with a lower amperage adapter won't hurt it but as you can see you won't get much action. Fortunately you can get a good 12 volt 2 amp wall wart off ebay for a few bucks easily. :)

I bought the quick charger and am currently selling the blackberry on the FSFT forum because I don't trust RIM to leave me alone with my own device. Fucking privacy policy offers no privacy. For the record, the Playbook can charge with as little as 500ma (or USB 2.0) when in suspend.

I have used a couple underpowered chargers on mine no problem. Just charges slower.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a defective unit.

It also sounds like you are very paranoid.

Loving my 64GB playbook. No problems with mine and my wife's 16GB one.

Nope. Root has blocked for some time now. Unless you were on one of the 2.0.0.6xxx releases AFTER first time use OS update, you will not be able to root your playbook.

Back