Finally back on water!

Cliff notes: Had 480 GTX SLI setup on water - upgraded to 780Ti SLI. Decided to waterblock them.

Pics!
EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%202.jpg

EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%203.jpg

EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%206.jpg

EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%207.jpg

Really happy with how it all turned out. EK blocks rock! 19C idle and 35C full load.

EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%208.jpg

:O very nice. I like that gassy colored green shining on the pci slot area. I want to see the rainbow effect given to metal like it got torched, or like gas on water type coloring.

35c full load is insane. and that is literally a behemoth water setup just for 2 gpu and the cpu :p

Nice looking rig.
I have a question,is it really worth the cards being on water.I guess it would be if you update every couple generations.

I do change my cards all the time and could never do water,maybe I should make a rig for water only.
They look quite nice.

I could be and am probably wrong but if one stays with say a x80 class or x70 class the blocks should be able to be re-used?

Nice looking rig.
I have a question,is it really worth the cards being on water.I guess it would be if you update every couple generations.

Well, the cards run MUCH cooler on water. They will also never get throttled back due to reaching high temps. And finally one can overclock them quite a bit as heat is no longer a roadblock. To be honest, the 480's on water (heavily overclocked) performed well enough that I couldn't justify going to 680's when they came out. The 780Ti's though are a very nice step up in performance.

I could be and am probably wrong but if one stays with say a x80 class or x70 class the blocks should be able to be re-used?

Doubtful - PCB layouts typically change quite a bit from generation to generation. In my case I am running EVGA Classified boards - which are a non-reference board design to begin with, so the blocks are a sunk cost. With big Maxwell arriving later this year, what I have now should easily keep up. I'm only running a single 30" monitor (2560x1600) and these cards can easily drive it with plenty to spare. I'll probably upgrade to a 4K monitor in 2-3 years from now. These cards should allow me to skip Maxwell and go straight to Volta once it arrives.

Thanks for the answer.I also had 480GTX but not on water.
I have lower overclocks on my Air cooled cards,and would love them to clock as high as your cards on water,but my cards suck but there ok in gaming.Just for fun done a valley run on air with 3770k for compare to your 2600k
312y7ps.png

Seems like overkill on the RADs, but nice none the less. At least temps are not a concern anymore.

I suppose I should ask for clarification before assuming, is that a double rad stack on top, or just a spacer? Not that either is an issue, just curious.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer.I also had 480GTX but not on water.
I have lower overclocks on my Air cooled cards,and would love them to clock as high as your cards on water,but my cards suck but there ok in gaming.Just for fun done a valley run on air with 3770k for compare to your 2600k

Nice! I almost upgraded my mainboard/CPU as well when I decided to upgrade my GPU's, but after doing some research, the cost/hassle and the very limited performance bump a new mb/CPU combo would provide, I think I made the right choice sticking to what I had. I'm also only pushing both the GPU's via PCI-E 2.0 8X tech. Still, I think its holding up nicely for being a generation behind. The 2600K is no slouch! :)

You made the correct choice.I upgrade from Z68/2600K and there was no difference.
I like your setup and may try to copy yours in the future.

... I suppose I should ask for clarification before assuming, is that a double rad stack on top, or just a spacer? Not that either is an issue, just curious.

Just a single 480 rad up top with a spacer/shroud I built under the fans. (It has a spacer/shroud underneath as well with fans pushing, but they are hidden inside the case.)

The 360 rad hanging off the the back was probably overkill, but I had it sitting around spare from a previous build, so I decided to put it to work as well.

Last edited:
Sorry, got bored waiting for all the snow to melt... plus Frozen CPU had EK classy blocks in stock for once, so I just couldn't resist! :)

Back