Finally a great deal on FX CPUs....

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
..... but at Microcenter only, so most of you are SOL = > :(

hvsaae.jpg

Basically you can have one of the several 970 mobos for free... For extra $10~20 you can find a 990X board. So let's say you get that FX8120 for $200, and a GA-990FXA-UD3 for extra $30 ($20 after MIR), and you have yourself a nice Bulldozer combo for ~$250 (after tax) out the door..... Hmmmmmmmmmm, if only Ivy wasn't so close....:cool:

MC cannot be making money off of these deals or everybody else would be doing this! All you AMD people near an MC have a chance at a great deal.

You can get a 2500k combo for about the same price or a 2600k for a little more. Arguable that this is a great deal.

You can get a 2500k combo for about the same price or a 2600k for a little more. Arguable that this is a great deal.

That's a bit trollish.

Whether its a good deal or not is dependent on price and whether the user would purchase it. If someone wants a 2500 they can get it. But if someone was looking at getting BD 8k this is a really good discount on it.

Then there is the assumption that use case for a BD, means getting a 2500 is a better buy. That isn't always the case.

That's a bit trollish.

Whether its a good deal or not is dependent on price and whether the user would purchase it. If someone wants a 2500 they can get it. But if someone was looking at getting BD 8k this is a really good discount on it.

Then there is the assumption that use case for a BD, means getting a 2500 is a better buy. That isn't always the case.

Hey I clicked on the thread because if this was a "Great deal" I would have purchased it. I would buy a BD if it was price according to its actual performance, which is what I was hoping to see in this thread.

No doubt the 2500k is a better CPU, especially with MC deals, but never the less this is a great deal!!! If I was a "die-hard-Intel-sucks" kind of a guy (and there are a few of those around...;) ) I'd think of it as such: I'm getting a great, Piledriver ready AM3+ (990X) mobo for $150, and an FX-8210 to tie me over for $100.... For folks as such, or even those who just wanna try something else, $250 combo is a great entry point for AMD's "best" offerings...

For gaming on AMD I'd grab a 124usd 960T over an FX 6100. FX 6100 will have to run @ 4.8GHz to match the 960T @ 4.0GHz.

For gaming on AMD I'd grab a 124usd 960T over an FX 6100. FX 6100 will have to run @ 4.8GHz to match the 960T @ 4.0GHz.

Decent advice, but which 960T are you referring to? Those extra cores aren't guaranteed.

Decent advice, but which 960T are you referring to? Those extra cores aren't guaranteed.

Wouldn't matter much. The single-threaded performance on the 960T is better than Bulldozers. We're still living in a world where IPC+freq matters more than core count outside of a few select apps, particularly after 4 cores. You're also assuming the 6 core Bulldozers perform as 6 core processors, which they don't. Often trumped by the quad-core Phenoms and the 960T is a Thuban, so it performs slightly better than regular ol' Phenom IIs due to the Thuban IMC. Whether unlockable to 6 cores or not, that 960T is a fantastic little chip and hard to beat for it's asking price. BD modular design should scale up well, 4-5 modules without a ton of transistors, but because both AMD and Intel both offer 4 or 6 core processors for cheap with better performance the BD modular design scales down very very poorly.

farcry.png

metro.png

Outside the 4-module BD's there's little reason to buy them. Great deal on a combo, though. At that price with mobo the 8120 BDs make far more sense. Just wish AMD would lower their MSRP already...

Yep, if you really want BD just grab an 8120 and OC it.

Even a 960T that doesn't unlock is perfectly fine for gaming for the price. You'd end up with thuban based BE quad. Mine has no problem running my ram over 2k and my NB over 3k. I got mine for 115usd and I've seen them drop to 110usd on occasion.

I can run 3.9GHz on 1.30v. 4.3GHz takes 1.40v. If I want to run my NB @ 3.k or higher I need to increase that to 1.43v and my CPU-NB to 1.30v. When I start approaching 4.40GHz I have to ramp the voltage up to 1.46v.

I tend to stick with just over 4.3GHz.

Last edited:
Wouldn't matter much. The single-threaded performance on the 960T is better than Bulldozers. We're still living in a world where IPC+freq matters more than core count outside of a few select apps, particularly after 4 cores. You're also assuming the 6 core Bulldozers perform as 6 core processors, which they don't. Often trumped by the quad-core Phenoms and the 960T is a Thuban, so it performs slightly better than regular ol' Phenom IIs due to the Thuban IMC. Whether unlockable to 6 cores or not, that 960T is a fantastic little chip and hard to beat for it's asking price. BD modular design should scale up well, 4-5 modules without a ton of transistors, but because both AMD and Intel both offer 4 or 6 core processors for cheap with better performance the BD modular design scales down very very poorly.

farcry.png

metro.png

Outside the 4-module BD's there's little reason to buy them. Great deal on a combo, though. At that price with mobo the 8120 BDs make far more sense. Just wish AMD would lower their MSRP already...

Now note how similar the 4100/6100/8120 score on FC2 benchmark. WHY? I've seen this benchmark used over and over again with usually ultimate endpoint BD = Fail or something like that. Showing some people not having a clue.

This game engine and benchmark uses four threads. For a 8120 it is using 1/2 of the processor so to speak and on a quad core Intel it is using ALL OF THE PROCESSOR. So of course in this scenario Intel better core performance will win out, if game was recoded (I doubt this will hapen) or code is used to take full advantage of all available cores a.k.a BF3 Bulldozer does just fine against Intel solution.

So BD new arch with older code not taking advantage of it may see some stark differences in performance. Still in the case of FC2 performance is still great as in over 60fps. Now of course if FC2 is the game of games for you then Intel would be a better system for this application. Now one can say I think with older less threaded code Intel will most likely give you a better performance. Future code using a more threaded model or older code like renderers may actually turn things around to BD favor.

Before you jump on any bandwagon, noko, you may want to read my post first.

Wouldn't matter much. The single-threaded performance on the 960T is better than Bulldozers. We're still living in a world where IPC+freq matters more than core count outside of a few select apps,

The 960T has higher IPC and single-threaded performance. When considering a general gaming CPU you'd be better served by a 960T than a Bulldozer, whether 2 or 4 modules.

Whether unlockable to 6 cores or not, that 960T is a fantastic little chip and hard to beat for it's asking price. BD modular design should scale up well, 4-5 modules without a ton of transistors, but because both AMD and Intel both offer 4 or 6 core processors for cheap with better performance the BD modular design scales down very very poorly.

960T is a great chip and better than the FX-4100 and FX-6100 considering it's price-to-performance, ESPECIALLY in gaming where I'd wager it's actually better than the 4-module Bulldozers BECAUSE we don't have many games with 8 threads. Even when there is a game with 8 threads you're better off saving money and buying a 2500K despite having only 4 cores/threads. This point you're trying to make falls apart very quickly when you consider how well the 2500K performs against the 4module BDs. But if you're going to buy a BD chip you should go with the 4-module chips because the Bulldozer design doesn't scale down in module count very well and because the 2 and 3 module chips are priced too high compared to Thubans, Denebs and i3 SBs which all perform better and can be had for roughly the same price or cheaper. Basically, the fx-4100 and fx-6100 just don't make any sense

If you're buying a gaming CPU, don't buy Bulldozer at all. Get a 960T, 1055T, Deneb or 2500K. That is unless this Microcenter deal is actually true, in which case the 4 module BD chips would be far more in line with what their price should be and would make a good buy (again, if you're not gaming).

I game with an 8150 and it never once has made any game I play (BF3, Deus Ex, Dirt 3, L4D2, Arkham City, Metro 2033, MW3, Res Evil 5, Rage, Portal 2, etc...)
even remotely close to unplayable, and in most cases FAR better than my old phenom 2 x4 @ 4ghz <---- Fact.

Last edited:
People should spend their own money how they see fit. All that matters is if each person is satisfied with their purchase.

BD won't stop you from playing any game you want and thuban based chips won't either. Many folks game on something like a single 1920x LCD.

I've read every review out there on BD. More importantly, I've closely watched results from overclockers I respect @ places like Xtremesystems who have extensively tested BD.

I'm waiting to see what PD brings, and to each his own.

Last edited:
Hey back to the original subject. How do you indeed pull off this combo you speak of. I don't see it offered on MC site.

Hey back to the original subject. How do you indeed pull off this combo you speak of. I don't see it offered on MC site.

You go to the store and pickup the hardware, then you get the combo deal when you pay for it.

Is it basically $120 off any board?

FX-4100 +970 board = super cheap vt-d setup

How would a Fx-4100 compare to a Pentium DC E5800 in gaming? My rig is stock. Graphics: Radeon 5750, 8G ddr3, Monitor: 2 * 1680x1050

Last edited:
Was at the Chicago store for something else. I can confirm they are only honoring the exact combos listed in the ad.

Back