Final list I decided on

theTIK

Gawd
Let me know what you think of this final list of parts for my HTPC/fileserver. It actually will be more of a fileserver then an HTPC since it will not do recording or tuning, just play videos and music from hard drive on the TV.

Antec Sonata II Case & PSU it comes with ($99)link
Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard($85)link
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Processor($135)link
Mushkin 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 RAM($153)link
3x Seagate 500GB SATA II Drives (Already have one)($170 a piece)link
1x 300GB SATA 1 drive (already have)
Audigy 2 ZS (already have)
Windows MCE 2005 with remote (already have)
Sony DVD-ROM drive($19)link
Gyration Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (already have)

Any last suggestions before I purchase the parts? Anything I should change to make it better or save money? I am trying to build this for fairly cheap and still have it be decent. I may have it do more HTPC features in the future but for right now all it will do it play Videos on the tv through component out and be a fileserver on the gigabit network. Is the DDR2 800 ram overkill? Would I notice a difference with slower ram? Also if I were to play a 720p xvid avi with this system on my 52inch HDTV this system would play it already wouldn't it? When you guys say you need a super beefy proc for HDTV you mean for recording and stuff like that right?

Mushkin Ram & that motherboard dont seem to like each other. When I built my HTPC, I used the same ram & motherboard initially except the system wouldnt post with the mushkin ram, ended up swapping out the mushkin ram for Kingston and no problems since.

Mushkin Ram & that motherboard dont seem to like each other. When I built my HTPC, I used the same ram & motherboard initially except the system wouldnt post with the mushkin ram, ended up swapping out the mushkin ram for Kingston and no problems since.

Nice tip I'll switch to HyperX.... any other suggestions?

Back