Final Fantasy XVI

I'm excited, but I'm hoping for a not so overly complicated combat system. I really don't want to have to memorize button combinations and have to have twitch reflexes to win an ARPG.
FF games are generally on the easy side if you just follow the main story. They add super bosses and stuff for people that want a challenge.

FF games are generally on the easy side if you just follow the main story. They add super bosses and stuff for people that want a challenge.
People who worked on the Devil May Cry games worked on the battle system in this game. It really has me worried. I don't want flashy, complex fighting mechanics in my JRPG.

I've 100%'d every offline FF game to ever release in the US lol. Played through most of 11, haven't touched 14.
Actually, I am missing one materia in 12, and the boss that is in it's room. Been meaning to go and get it, I just absolutely fucking hate The Great Crystal. It's not a "tough" dungeon- it's overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated. It's a literal mouse-trap! You can get perma-saved there and never escape and your game get completely fucked. I guess every FF title since VII has had a dungeon like this, but The Great Crystal takes the cake.
I started playing when VII came out when I was in 7th grade and I've been hooked ever since. It's the whole reason I even got a Playstation :)

Me neither. First FF game I have not been excited for. I want turn based in my FF games not some crappy arpg.

Yeah. Same.
I really really liked the hybrid they did with FFVIIR.. I thought that was a perfect mix for both groups of players. Could still assign hot keys if you wanted for spells, keep real time battle going, or have the "bullet time".
I was also ok with the way XV worked, but it felt just a bit too simple. Ended up just spamming the same move over and over and over.

I've 100%'d every offline FF game to ever release in the US lol. Played through most of 11, haven't touched 14.
Actually, I am missing one materia in 12, and the boss that is in it's room. Been meaning to go and get it, I just absolutely fucking hate The Great Crystal. It's not a "tough" dungeon- it's overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated. It's a literal mouse-trap! You can get perma-saved there and never escape and your game get completely fucked. I guess every FF title since VII has had a dungeon like this, but The Great Crystal takes the cake.
I started playing when VII came out when I was in 7th grade and I've been hooked ever since. It's the whole reason I even got a Playstation :)
You mean Esper? Materia was only a FF7 thing.

Me too. I had over 3000 days played in FFXI before I called it quits. I haven't cared for XIV for the last two expansions. It is just a constant cycle on repeat.

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...at-director-is-excited-to-see-what-unexpected
GI blurb said:
Final Fantasy XVI’s combat is fast, chaotic, and, most importantly, fun. There are plenty of combos to pull off, and in just the small taste of the action during my cover story trip to Square Enix’s Tokyo, Japan, office, I saw so much variance in setting up Clive’s combative abilities that I can’t wait to see what others do in-game.

I also watched combat director Ryota Suzuki play through some of the most challenging encounters in the game, and unsurprisingly, he excelled, taking maybe one or two hits in the 20 minutes he played. He used combos I didn’t really comprehend – admittedly, he was playing at a much later portion of the game than I had hands-on access with – and it got me thinking: is he excited to see what players do with FFXVI’s combat, much like I was sitting there watching him pull off intricate combos against myriad enemies?

“I’ve always tried to give players a lot of freedom when it comes to the controls and the action in the game, and give them lots of options that they can take and then do their own thing with,” Suzuki tells me. “So I’m expecting that there’s going to be a lot of weird things that they’re going to do with certain abilities. I can’t say what those abilities are, but I already have a few ideas because I’ve left a lot of things open-ended in that way.

“I’m really excited to see what players will do with them because there are definitely things that I didn’t expect, but I do like putting that stuff out there so that they have stuff to play with and surprise me with. When they do things I expected, I’m happy, but I’m also really happy when they [...] do something that is completely unexpected. It’s one of the exciting things about being a developer.”

Like Suzuki, I look forward to seeing what far more advanced players do with FFXVI’s combat, and fortunately, we have less than a month to go.
Yeah, that's probably going to be a "no" from me.

Everything I've seen from previews makes the system seem pretty simple. The complexity, as it is, seems to come more from just switching up stances between elements. There's really only a couple attack buttons, nothing looks anywhere near on par with the depth of a character action game. That said, there are a set of accessories in the game that allow you to modify things and make the game even simpler. Auto attack stuff, auto-dodging, slow-time stuff to assist in dodging, etc. From what they've shown and said it does seem pretty accessible to people that don't want all the overly action-based stuff. It's certainly still more of an action system then FFVIIR was, but it's not full on DMC either.

PC version seems to be confirmed now after dancing around the question several times. I wouldn't expect it for at least a couple years.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1663822176418693122
https://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/004/138/4138581/

1685543162617.png

PC version seems to be confirmed now after dancing around the question several times. I wouldn't expect it for at least a couple years.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1663822176418693122
https://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/004/138/4138581/

View attachment 573721

I believe they said that there currently aren't any plans for DLC, so that will free up most of the team once development is done. I doubt we'll see it right after the six month exclusivity window, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the PC port land somewhere between 12-18 months after release. Unless, of course, plans change and the dev team decide to work on major additions to the game.

Everyone should try the demo. I always give anyone props for putting out a demo.

I like it but I don't love it. I can see the DMC comparisons. Some of that is valid. There is some FF to be had here, too. Some people are glad turned based is gone. Others are not. That's to be expected.

I like the story well enough in some respects although the wannabe Game of Thrones/anime combo is heavy handed. By the end of the demo that I wouldn't mind continuing it but I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Everyone should try the demo. I always give anyone props for putting out a demo.

I like it but I don't love it. I can see the DMC comparisons. Some of that is valid. There is some FF to be had here, too. Some people are glad turned based is gone. Others are not. That's to be expected.

I like the story well enough by the end of the demo that I wouldn't mind continuing it but I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger.

I pre-ordered.
Not sure that I can be pulled away from Hogwarts enough to play anything else lol.

I pre-ordered.
Not sure that I can be pulled away from Hogwarts enough to play anything else lol.

I understand that. Hogwarts set a new bar for me. I can't wait to have an excuse to jump back into that and I am not even a Harry Potter fan.

I understand that. Hogwarts set a new bar for me. I can't wait to have an excuse to jump back into that and I am not even a Harry Potter fan.

I am not a Harry Potter fan at all either. But I like easy going open world exploring type RPG's with more simple combats and not so much stress. I play to relax. If I want to have stroke-level blood pressure, I'll play DooM

Played through the demo and ended up enjoying the game.

At first I tried playing it in graphics mode, but didn't like the 'soupy feel' of 30fps combat. I liked performance mode at first, but as soon as I got into the 'town' area, it felt really choppy. So I switched back to Graphics mode for the remainder of the demo. I kinda got used to it, but definitely felt the slower framerate (at least it was smooth). I enjoyed the combat, and can see it really opening up as you progress through the skill tree. It doesn't help that I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni II on PC at 60+ fps, but that game isn't even a full action game yet feels more responsive than FF XVI (I'm assuming its the lower framerate).

Oh, and the Eikolon segments were fun (and really brutal).

Graphically the game looked alright, it didn't feel to me this game could "only be on PS5" (imo Horizon Forbidden West looks and performs better yet that's a cross gen game), but I liked the art direction and voice acting. The story elements were bringing me in, there was a lot of nonsensical jargon at first, but the basic story is easy to understand and gripping.

Not sure if I'm going to pick this game up right away on PS5 or wait for the eventual PC release. If Square is able to smoothen out the Performance mode (60 fps would be great), I'd feel a lot better about picking it up.

At first I tried playing it in graphics mode, but didn't like the 'soupy feel' of 30fps combat. I liked performance mode at first, but as soon as I got into the 'town' area, it felt really choppy. So I switched back to Graphics mode for the remainder of the demo. I kinda got used to it, but definitely felt the slower framerate (at least it was smooth). I enjoyed the combat, and can see it really opening up as you progress through the skill tree. It doesn't help that I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni II on PC at 60+ fps, but that game isn't even a full action game yet feels more responsive than FF XVI (I'm assuming its the lower framerate).

Graphically the game looked alright, it didn't feel to me this game could "only be on PS5" (imo Horizon Forbidden West looks and performs better yet that's a cross gen game), but I liked the art direction and voice acting. The story elements were bringing me in, there was a lot of nonsensical jargon at first, but the basic story is easy to understand and gripping.

Not sure if I'm going to pick this game up right away on PS5 or wait for the eventual PC release. If Square is able to smoothen out the Performance mode (60 fps would be great), I'd feel a lot better about picking it up.

How was the bullet sponginess of the monsters? From most of the early previews it seems like it takes an inordinate amount of time to kill most things.

How was the bullet sponginess of the monsters? From most of the early previews it seems like it takes an inordinate amount of time to kill most things.

Oh, they were sponge-y. I'd say sponginess was more God of War than Ghost of Tsushima.

The bosses were especially sponge-y. The worst part being is their attack pattern stayed mostly the same (except for one boss). With that said, this is very early game and these bosses are likely more tutorial than actual boss.

I'm going to go back in and try the higher level combat mode, I'm curious to see how combat feels later on in the game.

The performance issues are ironic since Naoki Yoshida has been going on constantly about how they chose to develop the game exclusively on the PS5 to optimize it for one platform.

I pulled myself of sf6 to try the demo. My impression of sf6 has been one of the most nicely polished games of the year next to totk. A 60fps game and 30fps game, but done right with frame consistency gives a solid experience. FF16 first impression was choppiness in the cutscene with the Ifrit vs Phoenix in game cut scene. The main castle/keep area just soured me further as the camera panning was just bad with its choppiness. The canyon running felt like the FOV was really narrowed too much for my liking on what is a 3rd person view. I stopped at the castle and will pick up the rest tonight

With performance mode they’ve said that the focus was on making sure the combat is 60fps with exploration running at 30fps. It’s really jarring going back and forth between that. Hopefully they’ll smooth out performance as time goes on. On the plus side, so far performance seems like the biggest technical issue. I didn’t run into any notable bugs or glitches while playing the demo. That’s a pretty good sign at least.

I'll have to see if I can find it again, but Yoshida or somebody else on the team said they focused on making the game running more smoothly during combat than during exploration. In performance mode this means 60 FPS in combat, 30 FPS in towns. It was said that the demo is also based on an older build, and that the retail version is more optimized. I'm not a fan of differing framerate standards within the game itself.

Solid enough title for what it is. I don't think it's a 9 or a 10/10 but I definitely think 6/10s and the like are harsh. My two cents.

PC version? Not anytime soon.

I only played an hour or two so I can’t rate it yet. It’s definitely cut scene heavy but I expect that from Japanese RPGs so no surprise there. I did see some frame rate drops in the first castle running in performance mode. Maybe I will try graphics/quality mode next time.

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-16s-pc-version-is-next-on-yoshi-ps-to-do-list/

Speaking on a recent stream, Yoshida said the PC version still needs work in order to mirror the PlayStation 5 version of the game, specifically citing its lack of loading screens when traveling between locations and transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay. Yoshida says the team hasn't "had the time to optimize the PC version of the game" because they've been busy with the PS5 version.

"We will be sharing more about the PC version when the time is right, please look forward to it," he said, echoing a sentiment he often shares when talking about upcoming features for the other Final Fantasy he's in charge of, Final Fantasy 14.

Definitely not a DMC game. The hits have no heft behind them, I might as well have been hitting with nerf stick. Performance was very hard to get used to. It wants to be fast paced but even with combat trying to hold 60, combat felt like a huge mess. Exploration was tough on the eyes. If it was in graphics mode, the screen panning turned into a blurry low fps mess, switching to fps mode made it feel better, but then the quality turned into a mess with texture popping everywhere. I'll look at a summer sale to try a copy or wait on pc where some frametime consistency and more graphics options and performance could be had.

Definitely not a DMC game. The hits have no heft behind them, I might as well have been hitting with nerf stick. Performance was very hard to get used to. It wants to be fast paced but even with combat trying to hold 60, combat felt like a huge mess. Exploration was tough on the eyes. If it was in graphics mode, the screen panning turned into a blurry low fps mess, switching to fps mode made it feel better, but then the quality turned into a mess with texture popping everywhere. I'll look at a summer sale to try a copy or wait on pc where some frametime consistency and more graphics options and performance could be had.
A Nerf stick was my thought exactly. lol

Really needs a PC port or ps5 pro or some performance patches right now. Story and characters bore me. Combat has potential.

The crashing has gotten so much worse for me. The very first time I played the demo I managed to get a 20 minute stretch where it was crash free. But now it's crashing instantly. Load up my save, walk 5 steps or so, game completely locks up.

Just got the full game today in hopes that it would be fixed. Nope! I crashed 2 times on the god damn menu screen. How is that even possible? There's nothing being rendered yet. Then when I did manage to start up a new game I got like 2 seconds of cut scene before it locked up again.

Is this game overclocking the hardware or something? And maybe my PS5 can't handle the overclock? It's so bizarre. Every other game works fine.

Now I have this $70 paperweight. Lovely.

I found the game used locally today. I thought there would be people going bleh I don't like this. Found a guy a few blocks away selling it on my local neighborhood fb page who was disappointed in the performance and it made him feel dizzy when he was playing. I'm installing the full version now. I'm hoping that Benedikta fight has its scaling fixed from the demo as having to go through 4 stagger sequences was pushing my ire and I had 3 eikons at my disposal in the demo and none of the abilities in the eikon list seemed particular heavy hitting. I was also worried that having only a max of 2 high potions and 4 potions would be too limited in healing but turns out I didn't need a single potion. When I think back to how much healing I had to do for ruby weapon back in original ff7 my first time. I think in ff12 Yiazmat was the hardest grind of a fight I never actually did... I set up my gambits and slept on the couch. I woke up at just before 5am to see it win. I also made a terrible cellphone clip of the last 2 minutes of the fight.

Last edited:
The crashing has gotten so much worse for me. The very first time I played the demo I managed to get a 20 minute stretch where it was crash free. But now it's crashing instantly. Load up my save, walk 5 steps or so, game completely locks up.

Just got the full game today in hopes that it would be fixed. Nope! I crashed 2 times on the god damn menu screen. How is that even possible? There's nothing being rendered yet. Then when I did manage to start up a new game I got like 2 seconds of cut scene before it locked up again.

Is this game overclocking the hardware or something? And maybe my PS5 can't handle the overclock? It's so bizarre. Every other game works fine.

Now I have this $70 paperweight. Lovely.
You in performance or graphics mode. I've been on graphics mode and HDR looks amazing on OLED no crashes. The blurring when panning is stupid though

Back