Final Fantasy XV

Shalafi

Fully [H]
I put in for a weeks vacation after seeing the FFXV Uncovered presentation, seeing the Stand By Me trailer and playing the demo.

September 30 cannot come quick enough.

I played the Platinum Demo and got to the point where you're transformed into a truck and canceled my preorder.

you never dreamed of transforming into a truck when you were little boy? :)

More gameplay footage:

2.jpg

Kingsglaive was pretty awesome, best CGI to date. Great set up for this game. So pumped - I really hope they do a special edition PS4 Pro - they are currently only talking about a PS4 Slim, but I NEEEEEEED this game in 4k.

Kingsglaive was pretty awesome, best CGI to date. Great set up for this game. So pumped - I really hope they do a special edition PS4 Pro - they are currently only talking about a PS4 Slim, but I NEEEEEEED this game in 4k.

My PS4 has been on the fritz so I'm going to be getting the Pro to replace it.

Even though I'd love to play this on the PC with all that entails...I admit I'm increasingly staring down a dilemna as we get closer to the launch date for this.

My PS4 has been on the fritz so I'm going to be getting the Pro to replace it.

Even though I'd love to play this on the PC with all that entails...I admit I'm increasingly staring down a dilemna as we get closer to the launch date for this.
I'm biting the bullet, I can't wait, especially after watching Kingsglaive. The fact that there's no mention of a PS4 Pro bundle for this game blows my mind though, and why they'd start offering a PS4 Slim at the same time as a Pro -- who in their right mind who didn't already have a PS4 would go for a slim? Sony even said that if you didn't have 4k the Pro would still look better due to the hardware and higher settings/less jaggies. EIther way, PS4 Pro and this game. Even if I never buy another PS4 game, FF is worth it. Besides, we can assume the PC release won't be anytime soon. I would have severe FOMO not getting this game the day it comes out.

I'm biting the bullet, I can't wait, especially after watching Kingsglaive. The fact that there's no mention of a PS4 Pro bundle for this game blows my mind though, and why they'd start offering a PS4 Slim at the same time as a Pro -- who in their right mind who didn't already have a PS4 would go for a slim? Sony even said that if you didn't have 4k the Pro would still look better due to the hardware and higher settings/less jaggies. EIther way, PS4 Pro and this game. Even if I never buy another PS4 game, FF is worth it. Besides, we can assume the PC release won't be anytime soon. I would have severe FOMO not getting this game the day it comes out.

This: Here's how the new PlayStation 4 Pro can make all your games look more gorgeous, even if you don't own a 4K TV

Yup, what you wrote is basically the "get it now don't wait" side of the argument I'm having with myself.

Economics, really. Maybe someone doesn't even have a 1080p set and still rocks a 720p display since it still works for them, and the PS4 2000 is simply more economical. Look at solutions like the 2DS...cheaper, and for a different market.

Economics, really. Maybe someone doesn't even have a 1080p set and still rocks a 720p display since it still works for them, and the PS4 2000 is simply more economical. Look at solutions like the 2DS...cheaper, and for a different market.

Yeah...well you'd think they'd make the bundles for the brand new product (PS4 Pro) but maybe the Slim needs all the love it can get to push #'s. I just thought the FFXV edition looks pretty, would be cool to have on the Pro version.

As a side note - the FFXV Slim bundle costs more than a PS4 Pro ... WTF? $449

Surprised there isn't more hype for this....I am ready.

I just watched Kingsglaive last night....super hyped. I LMAO when I saw Ultros, can't believe they put that dude in there, made the movie THAT much better. Critics hated it, but I'm pretty sure most of them aren't nostalgic final fantasy fans.

Surprised there isn't more hype for this....I am ready.

Shit I've been waiting for this game for like 10 years I think. Ever since it was announced for PS3. I have a PS4, likely won't be buying a pro... So I think I'm gonna wait a little bit longer until it's out on PC. Whats another year or less hopefully when I've waited this long delay after delay after delay.....

This is pretty baller so far. I'm a couple hours deep. The UI is kinda gaudy sometimes and I don't like fetch / number quests really but I do like the banter.

When the combat flows right God damn does it feel slick. I warp strike'd something, dodged its partner, smacked it in the back and got a combo where Prompto threw his gun to me and I shot it in the face.

I also heard one of my homies tell another to "Quit bitching and start killing" in a fight once which was amusing.

Hopefully the December patch can remove all the stuttering. I'm playing on lite now, despite the additional loss of visual quality, because it's too distracting for me.

Reactions: Regen
like this
I just concocted the most overkill spell I could. It was like a nuclear explosion of frozen lightning.

Killed Prompto instantly with it.

I want a console so bad now. I want a ps4 because kingdom hearts + other games.... I want xbone because almost all my friends have it.

Reading about the game makes me drool but since I sold my PS4, I'll be waiting for the possible PC release (I can hope). Glad to see others enjoying it thoroughly though.

I cancelled my preorder after the wife strongly hinted that I'd be getting it for christmas. Any word on how it runs on the basic PS4? I've read a few reviews and impressions, but none seem to mention any performance issues, though I already assume it is locked to 30fps @1080.

I cancelled my preorder after the wife strongly hinted that I'd be getting it for christmas. Any word on how it runs on the basic PS4? I've read a few reviews and impressions, but none seem to mention any performance issues, though I already assume it is locked to 30fps @1080.

According to Digital Foundry it runs at a pretty solid 30 but it has some frame pacing issues. Hopefully that's something they'll fix in further updates.

According to Digital Foundry it runs at a pretty solid 30 but it has some frame pacing issues. Hopefully that's something they'll fix in further updates.

I probably won't be able to play it until mid-January, so hopefully they can sort out performance issues by then.

Seems to run fine.

Seems to run fine.
It runs a solid 30, but it's not a smooth 30 due to the frame pacing issues.

On that note: does anyone know how it runs on the Xbox? I'm sure it's not any better due to the weaker hardware, but I'm still curious.

Last edited:
It runs a solid 30, but it's not a smooth 30 due to the frame pacing issues.

On that note: does anyone know how it runs on the Xbox? I'm sure it's not any better due to the weaker hardware, but I'm still curious.

Digital foundry also put up an X1 analysis video:

Bottom line: no frame pacing issues, but lower resolution/image quality with occasional minor screen tearing. Holds 30 FPS.

Driving is a huge disappointment. Totally on rails. All you do is hold the accelerator. It gives you maybe 10 degrees of steering which seems to serve no purpose at all because the computer steers for you.
You can't even make a manual U-Turn, you need to press a button to have the computer do it for you. How is this acceptable in a 2016 game?

Hope the general gameplay is better than this. So far I'm seriously let down in the opening 2 hours.
The few battles I've been in largely consisted of holding the O button. Very unrewarding, but I suppose that will change once I learn the flow better.

You can't even make a manual U-Turn, you need to press a button to have the computer do it for you. How is this acceptable in a 2016 game?

Because it's not a driving sim, and it's clearly a gameplay mechanism to allow for a reason to have chocobos in the game. Chocobos can go off-road, the Regalia cannot.

Just let Ignis drive the car and relax.

I'm hopeful for a PC port, however, from what I understood the last couple of FF ports were really subpar. This game might be the reason for me to dust off the PS4.

I'm hopeful for a PC port, however, from what I understood the last couple of FF ports were really subpar. This game might be the reason for me to dust off the PS4.

They weren't subpar so much as they weren't ambitious. S-E farmed the ports off to third parties who simply got the PC versions running at console parity. This was partially due to engine limitations and partly due to a lack of quality PC tools in house at S-E.

Hajime Tabata has said that if they do a PC version, it'll be done by the core development team, and will have enhanced graphical options. So it wouldn't be a subpar port, at least on paper.

They weren't subpar so much as they weren't ambitious. S-E farmed the ports off to third parties who simply got the PC versions running at console parity. This was partially due to engine limitations and partly due to a lack of quality PC tools in house at S-E.

Hajime Tabata has said that if they do a PC version, it'll be done by the core development team, and will have enhanced graphical options. So it wouldn't be a subpar port, at least on paper.

Good to know. I've got some PC RPGs to play through, so hopefully there will be some confirmation on a PC port before I'm done them.

All the previous ones likely weren't expected to be ported to PC really, when they did finally they just handed them off to probably the cheapest bidder. It seems like in this case though, they've kept in mind being able to do a PC version too while building it. After catching up on recent articles on this it seems they last few delays have been for quality/convenience reasons. Such as creating a big day one patch of stuff after it was master version, ready to ship. They didn't want people having to download it so another delay to add it to the disc. They've said they would want the PC to have more graphical features, so if its taken them this long to polish just the console versions, they are gonna take longer to make sure the PC is done enough to their satisfaction. Which is good enough for me to wait out a year or so.

Because it's not a driving sim, and it's clearly a gameplay mechanism to allow for a reason to have chocobos in the game. Chocobos can go off-road, the Regalia cannot.

Just let Ignis drive the car and relax.

Yeah, but for a game in which the car is a major gameplay component, a little freedom would be nice. Not saying it has to go off road, but the ability to actually steer the thing would be nice. "Press X to park". Really? They can't let the player pull into a parking lot themselves?

You could freely drive around in Final Fantasy VII and VIII, and they still had useful chocobos. Just saiyan.

The franchise has changed a lot since VII & VIII though. VII is as close to FF1 gameplay wise as XV is to VII.

You could freely drive around in Final Fantasy VII and VIII, and they still had useful chocobos. Just saiyan.

They also had a totally different overworld structure.

Yeah, but for a game in which the car is a major gameplay component, a little freedom would be nice. Not saying it has to go off road, but the ability to actually steer the thing would be nice. "Press X to park". Really? They can't let the player pull into a parking lot themselves?

It's no more of a major gameplay component than the classic airships were. It's an access gate, not a primary means of interacting with the game. The battle system is a major gameplay component, to contrast.

Back