Final Fantasy XV

From the time the game goes to the load screen after he selects the save until it goes into the game is 54 seconds vs 1:59 seconds for people that don't want to do the math.

About a minute added on for that load. You must be running both of those off of one of your mechanical drives.

I think its safe to call Denuvo's effect on load times pretty much confirmed after all this time. The big question is raw performance. Interestingly, it almost seemed like the hitching was pretty much the same across both versions. Same with performance. Maybe a 4-6 FPS difference at a couple points.

Some claim that it's not actually Denuvo, but actually the Steam API causing those loading problems. Supposedly non-Steam releases don't have that problem.

Interesting. Might have to check if the SpecialK mod changes that too.

Hmm. Interesting.

Clickbait. It's PC vs. PC at different settings.

Its not a performance test so setting the PC to settings that emulate what the Xbox version has is a fair comparison. That's kind of the standard way of doing it. It also allows them to explore what the settings do and their effects in an easier side-by-side comparison. Removing performance as a variable gives more of a chance for the actual graphical effects to shine. The only knock against that is that the XB1X version does dynamic resolution scaling, something SE decided not to implement in the PC version. That does hurt a little as the X will jump between 1080p and 1360p when running at 4K. If they're only running it at 1080p then the dynamic res concern goes away.

This is the first PC game in a long time that I've regretted buying. Even at ridiculously low settings it runs like dogshit. The only thing that makes it run smooth in any way is to reduce the already low resolution (2560x1080) to 75%, but then it's so blurry and jagged it's almost painful to look at. Before anyone asks, 8700k, 1070, 16GB, SSDs.

This is the first PC game in a long time that I've regretted buying. Even at ridiculously low settings it runs like dogshit. The only thing that makes it run smooth in any way is to reduce the already low resolution (2560x1080) to 75%, but then it's so blurry and jagged it's almost painful to look at. Before anyone asks, 8700k, 1070, 16GB, SSDs.

turn filtering down and turn off gameworks shit see how it runs then.

turn filtering down and turn off gameworks shit see how it runs then.

I never had any of the nvidia crap on. Has anyone done testing in regard to Windows Game Mode? I have all the gaming stuff disabled through group policy, and I'm wondering if it could actually help in this case.

I turned Filtering to low and have the presets on high, game runs great for me without a hitch. I also used the mod listed a page or two back that disables kb/m input which supposedly clears up some hitching, I didn't notice it previously but did it anyway.

I turned everything to max except filtering, and it runs pretty well for me. I average around 42+ at 2160p and 65+ at 1440p. I do have gsync though, so that has helped with smoothing the experience a bit. With the filtering on though, it looks like trash.

The Special K mod has helped quite a bit, but it's going to take more tweaking to get it to where I can ignore framerates and just play the damn game. My problem is my monitor is FreeSync and GPU is nvidia, so when my framerate can't sustain a number near the refresh rate (144hz monitor, but I use 100 or 120 for everything) things get ugly and laggy without some sort of adaptive sync.

So far so good on my end. About 35 hours into the game, everything on highest setting except filtering, 3k rez (not 4k), and just reached chapter 9. Usually hitting 50-60 fps outside of combat but Altissia is about a 10fps hit (running mid 40s fps) compared to just about everywhere else I've seen so far though.

Gamplay-wise the game is much easier now than when I first played it Day 1 on PS4 Pro. I pretty much just warp-strike everything to death with Ragnarok on Noctis. I only used the invincibility suits once to kill the lvl 50 boss at the end of the mines when I was lvl 15. And the only reason I used the suits is I didn't feel like spending the time playing hide-and-go seek to cheese him at low level like I did on PS4.

Edit: Anyone using Special K mod and still able to get the Xbox button prompts to show on screen? For some reason the game thinks my controller is a Steam and not a Xbone when I run the mod. It annoyed me enough that I stopped using the mod all together.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried disabling Spectre and Meltdown protection using inSpectre to see if that affects performance?

do you guys play on kb+m? i wonder if i should do that or use a DS4

While keyboard/mouse implementation is good for a console port, the simplicity of the game and combat in particular don't require the advantages offered by those peripherals. I've been considering picking up a controller just because I think I'd enjoy the game more with it, plus nostalgia.

Last edited:
The special k mod fucked my game up. The framerate is terrible

The new Nvidia driver 391.24 seems to be running decently for me.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Am I expecting too much of my hardware by wanting an average framerate of 100 FPS at 2560x1080 with all settings low/average? Curious if it's something on my end that can be fixed. Specs: 8700k, 16GB@3000, 1070, M.2/SSDs.

Last edited:
I tried the demo out, and anytime I was moving my character my CPU was at 100%. If I stopped it would back down to 75-80%.

Am I expecting too much of my hardware by wanting an average framerate of 100 FPS at 2560x1080 with all settings low/average? Curious if it's something on my end that can be fixed. Specs: 8700k, 16GB@3000, 1070, M.2/SSDs.

No im able to maintain 144hz + on my 1080

I cringe every time I see Phenom II support added to a new game. Makes me wonder what they gimped to make those processors work.
The outcry for Phenom 2 support on the steam fourms is retarded. How do people expect shit to run on a 10+ year old cpu?

The outcry for Phenom 2 support on the steam fourms is retarded. How do people expect shit to run on a 10+ year old cpu?
I have no idea. These same people will spend $500 on a new video card but refuse to spend $300 to upgrade their CPU, motherboard and memory.

wow, i just started the tutorial and its infuriating.

the buttons dont seem to work even though im pressing what its telling me to, especially in the spell crafting bullshit menu.
the fucking music is blaring, it repeats, and its only 10seconds so its TUNUNUNU NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU over and over and over again while the buttons dont fucking work.

I really hope the game isn't like this. im using a DS4.

wow, i just started the tutorial and its infuriating.

the buttons dont seem to work even though im pressing what its telling me to, especially in the spell crafting bullshit menu.
the fucking music is blaring, it repeats, and its only 10seconds so its TUNUNUNU NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU over and over and over again while the buttons dont fucking work.

I really hope the game isn't like this. im using a DS4.
maybe its the ds4. you using ds4windows or just windows built in driver? try a xb1 controller if you can, works perfect for me.

If you are using the Steam version I suggest you don't use DS4windows. Just go to the settings in steam and use the built in support for DS4 and even the button prompts will be DS4 prompts. I don't remember if I had issues with DS4windows and FFXV but once I see the button prompts I end up quitting the game and exiting DS4Windows then reloading the game.

i didnt use ds4windows. steam was popping up some chat window which was annoying, but i didnt see any specific DS4 buttons.

Go into controller settings and enable the ds4 support. Should give you correct button icon, layout, etc.

I finished the game at lvl 45. And got the F-1 Regalia and makes a lot easier to go around the map now. So what else to do after the game?

I finished the game at lvl 45. And got the F-1 Regalia and makes a lot easier to go around the map now. So what else to do after the game?

There are a bunch of extra dungeons behind the locked doors you may have encountered. Get the key from the old lady at Hunter HQ. There is also the Pitioss Ruins dungeon which requires you to fly and land on a very narrow strip of land near the Rock of Ravatogh.

I'm working on fighting Adamantoise but I'm still low level and I want to get the Ultima Sword before fighting the BIG monsters.

Having played the game without cheesing it on PS4, I went full Ragnarok Warp Strike spam this time around on PC. Only took about 25 minutes to take down Adamantoise with this method. People can take him down under 10 minutes with Armiger Unleashed but I couldn't get the hang it.

Beat the game last night. Went back in Chapter 15 and went through some of the optional content, cleared 2 of the menace dungeons, did all 5 legendary weapon quests, killed MA-X Angelus a couple of times. I was reading lots of reddit posts about people farming post game but there's really just no reason I can find to continue spending hours on the game. I haven't killed the Omega weapon they put in the PC version in Insomnia yet, but other than that, I think I'm pretty well done with the game. I consider it a pretty good entry in the series and I had fun with it, clocked in about 40 hours total. Now I just need to decide what I'm going to play next.

Back