Final Fantasy XV

Dunno - didn't play the demo but there are people in that thread arguing that the release version is just as smooth if not smoother than the demo - but then again who knows. Pretty sad if it's true, this is a game where a 16% performance hit is a very big difference since there's not a single card option that's capable of holding 60FPS in 4k on high settings.

I am getting the same performance in the full game as I was in the demo. If anything is a performance hit its the new Nvidia drivers which are garbage on my system.

He makes a large post but ultimately he says nothing. The laptop thing he quotes has nothing to do with Denuvo as the person is talking about the Windows Store version vs Steam and seeing similar performance differences from both the released game as he did for the demo. Several people are reporting seeing improved performance in the final version. In my own experience the game seems to run a lot smoother than the demo. Couldn't tell you if there is any real FPS change since both were sitting at 60 most of the time but the hitching issues are gone and everything just feels better. There is definitely something weird going on with how the game performs, but I don't think it can easily be laid at Denuvo's feet.

It's overblown.

I don't like it for the simple reason I feel its redundant and an insult of sorts if I'm already on Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.etc. but I doubt seriously that it's some egregious performance killer.

Beyond that I'd say simply the fact that the game was cracked days before release means Denuvo should go. It serves absolutely zero purpose at this point.

I turned a couple settings off/low but still playing the game on High @ 4K, the game looks great and is totally playable. Sure I miss a steady 60 with Vsync turned on but the game is by no means laggy.

Video went black, audio and sound continued. I could alt-tab out and computer was fine and when I came back the screen was this dark gray. If you look this up, this is all typical of what people have called this "Final Fantasy 15 black screen of death" phenomenon.

It's mildly suspect in my case since I've been eyeballing another small bugaboo in a couple of games unrelated to this but that issue was simply a one second freeze of the video and then it continues like nothing happened. Audio always continues and everything else per normal. So I either have a bad coincidence here or the jury is out. Honestly not sure yet.

I hope it's none of this but I will take it under advisement.
that doesn't sound like a hardware crash but a vid driver crash. could be a bad driver or oc issue.

I’ve heard that it is the Steam version of the game which has Denuvo DRM. Windows/MS Store version is free of Denuvo. Is this true? (Not sure about Origin veraion).

I’ve heard that it is the Steam version of the game which has Denuvo DRM. Windows/MS Store version is free of Denuvo. Is this true? (Not sure about Origin veraion).

Free from Denuvo but wrapped in UWP and trapped in an utterly garbage storefront? Pick your poison.

Modders to the rescue!

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-...ng-times-stuttering-and-hd-texture-streaming/

According to the modder, the Steam version of Final Fantasy loads input icons synchronously any time it sees input on keyboard/mouse or gamepad. As such, Steam owners may experience additional hitches due to this issue. Thankfully, this mod works around this issue by preventing the game from seeing input events.

Furthermore, this mod includes a fix for excessive SteamAPI overhead that causes unusually long load screens and hitches during heavy texture streaming. As the modder claimed, these longer loading times are not caused by the Denuvo anti-tamper tech.

The game looks and plays amazing. I'm able to play it on highest in-game settings with the PC in my sig with no hitching at all on the Steam version with the HD textures. Combat seemed overly simplistic at first, but I was quickly learning the intricacies in it and can see the expanded possibilities in the Ascension grid. I had only planned on playing it for about an hour last night, but ended up going until 1AM. When the day turned over I saw the new daily was in the area, so checked it out. Having taken out the level 23 dual horns without issue at level 4 I confidently strolled right in to the pack of level 63 Aspidochelons. When Gladiolus get lolsmacked for 2002 HP I noped the fuck out. I thought I would do better with the level 38 Bander Snatch I came across, but that also ended in tears and is when I turned in for the night.

My only complaint is the usual issues with TAA. I want to see if forcing TRMSAA through the control panel works, or applying a sharpen filter.

Sad when modders have to come up with a fix for launch issues.

Sad when modders have to come up with a fix for launch issues.
Potentially a side-effect of making a game moddable. The more access the community has to game files, the easier it is to make stuff like this. At that point it's just the benefit of open/crowd-sourcing, hundreds of thousands of PC gamers playing the game vs a few hundred people on the dev team.
Now imagine the game was totally locked down, this mod never would have existed, and you'd never know about these problems in the first place.

This is like criticizing open-source software because it gets patched by the community. That's the point.

Use latest Reshade and fire up Adaptive Sharpening, default setting 1.0. That fixes TAA's softness. Looks great.

Just to note, if you plan on using ReShade along with Kaldaien's mod you will need to rename the ReShade dll file. Alternatively he posted a link to a custom version of ReShade he made that works natively with the mod. Download and instructions here.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What launch issues?
I've played maybe 3 hours in the game i've noticed 2 instances of lighting issues, long tunnels that open to light sources at multiple ends and water reflections are not being displayed properly when graphics are at their highest settings. I've also encountered a bug when sitting at a bench that resulted in my character continuously falling in place causing me to reload an older save.

Although not a game specific issue but using a differed rendering engine then only giving us FXAA and TAA to resolve AA it terrible. Luckily i play at 4k so fxaa resolves a good portion of AA without introducing too much blur but not everyone plays at such higher resolutions and fxaa is so lackluster. Also there is terrible dithering on everybody's hair models for some reason. I'll also point out the mouth movements are just as awkward as mass effect andro lol.

In general i'll say this game is not a completely half assed port but it's not a well done console port.

Last edited:
The game looks and runs pretty damn good at 3K resolution and everything but screen smoothing turned on/highest setting and 4K texture pack. I'm getting 55-60 fps (locked @ 60 fps), zero crashes or black screens after 8 hours play time so far, and only a hint of loading new area lag every once in a great while. It's a pretty well done port in my opinion. And believe me when I say you do not want non-dithered hair, it looks like jaggy spaghetti and is distracting as hell in cutscenes.

I have a ryzen 1700, 16gb ram, GTX 1080 hybrid on a 7200 rpm drive. I just ran a cable from my TV to my PC and my jaw was on the floor with how pretty this game is. Would downloading the 4k texture pack do anything on a 55" 1080 tv? Think I would be sacraficing too much with the 1080? Also. Going to download that mod everyone is going crazy over to help with Framerate and stutters.

I have a ryzen 1700, 16gb ram, GTX 1080 hybrid on a 7200 rpm drive. I just ran a cable from my TV to my PC and my jaw was on the floor with how pretty this game is. Would downloading the 4k texture pack do anything on a 55" 1080 tv? Think I would be sacraficing too much with the 1080? Also. Going to download that mod everyone is going crazy over to help with Framerate and stutters.

Texture resolution and monitor resolution are two completely separate things; yes it will make a difference even at 1080p.

For the stuttering: What is your TRAM set to and are you using Gameworks features? Also, did you allow GFE to record clips of stuff?

I'm having some strange issues with the game- I couldn't get it to get past the launch loading screens until I screwed with the Windows virtual memory setting (system managed -> set to 4GB). After that, sure the game launches, but immediately upon exit I get a crash, sometimes hard reboot, and a few times now BSOD (IRQ and memory management).

Game itself runs... fine enough I guess?

Back