Final Fantasy XV

I am giving this one the Dark Souls 3 treatment. I played it in console at first (DS3 was for coop with a friend) and FFXV because it was available on PS4. However, I am not touching expansions for DS3 or FFXV until I own said definitive edition on PC and itll feel like a whole new game.

I recently replayed FF13 with huge graphical improvements/upscaling with my sig rig and the game looks leaps and bounds better than FFXV on PS4, so I am really excited to see how FFXV looks.

We have a release date folks! March 6th.

Before anyone asks: It comes with all the updates and DLC from the consoles. "Coming 6th March 2018 - Take the journey, now in ultimate quality Get ready to be at the centre of the ultimate fantasy adventure, now for Windows PC. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition boasts a wealth of bonus content, including content contained in free updates to the console versions as well as paid downloadable content originally available through the Season Pass."

• An all-new dungeon - Insomnia City Ruins: Expanded Map
• New features such as first person mode, new gear, and new bosses.
• Armiger Unleashed – after you collect all 13 royal arms, a more action-oriented mode of the Armiger is unlocked
• Royal Vessel – the boat from FFXV is now a controllable vehicle. The same body of water (between Cape Caem and Altissia) can now be freely explored.
• All season pass content – Episode Gladiolus, Episode Prompto, Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades, and Episode Ignis.
• Over a dozen pieces of DLC, including weapons, Regalia car skins, and item sets.
• The critically acclaimed game – FINAL FANTASY XV.
• Supports native 4K (maximum 8K) resolution and HDR10
• Mod support

• High-resolution compatible display required for 4K/8K
• Windows 10 Creators Update compatible display required for HDR10
(Added bold to the two important ones)

No information provided about system requirements yet.

Anyone who's already beat the game, is this worth a playthrough? My love for FF games have really gone down over the years as they take so long and the dialogue can get cringey sometimes. Either that or FF 13 just left a really bad taste in my mouth. Hoping this is different though.

March 6!! So soon! And just in time for me to get a playthrough in before Dark Souls Remastered comes out.

These delayed PC release dates are getting alot of people to buy it twice though.

Consider the rig I have, I am excited to see what it looks like. When I recently replaced FF13, I played it with alot of graphical upgrades and supersampling, and though it actually looked better than FF15 on PS4. PC FF15 should look amazing.

To the guy above, play this game. Youll feel like youre playing a new version of a series that fits like your favorite leather baseball glove, with plenty of updates to make it fast paced and playable like more modern games. Think if FF13 had the open world of FF6.

100GB OMG lol.

I rented and beat the game on PS4 and thought it was very good. It was good enough to make me want to buy it on PC when I heard it was coming to it (also made me kind of regret finishing it on PS4). For the record, I also rented FF13 as the last FF I played before 15 and I hated it also. I didn't get half way before just returning it. I just couldn't stomach continuing and thought I was done with the FF series then. FFXV is a much more modern game and plays more like Witcher 3. Personally I think this game was worth playing through at least once. I am going to try and do it a second time.

https://www.finalfantasyxv.com/en/windows-edition

Looks like they wisely did not confine this to just Windows 10. 7 is the "minimal OS" for this. Good. :)

I wonder if it's still going to be this monstorous 100 GB install even for Win 7 people? (Probably.)

Yes since the 100GB version doesn't include whatever is in the extra 55GB needed for 4K HDR support.

Extra size for the huge open world texture packs, yeah? I am getting the Royal version.

FFXV Pre Order bonuses (Im going with Steam)

Windows Store - FFXV Power Pack (combat performance)
Steam - FFXV Fashion Pack (outfits for all)
Origin - FFXV Decal Pack (Regalia decals)

If this game could maintain 60+ fps on 1440p res at any given time, then they'll have my money on Steam. G-Sync and 60fps+ on this game with AA = EyeCandy.

I played through this on PS4 pretty recently. Good game, I hadn't ever finished a FF game in the past because I hate turn-based combat, but this one held my attention better with the active combat system.

I doubt I will pick it up for PC but it's cool that they are porting it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
8K resolution, HDR10 and Atmos support!...really impressive!

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (3.6GHz and above), or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (3.6GHz and above)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Main memory: 16GB
Resolution: 4K(2160p)
Hard disc free space on SSD: Over 155GB

Jesus Christ, those specs. I'll just stick with playing it at 4K on the PS4 Pro, it's cheaper. :p

155+GB of SSD space, lucky i have 3.5gb, I knew I needed it for something.

This is possibly the stupidest looking game I've ever seen. A bunch of asian dude-bros driving in a car on a highway, then they jump out to battle some beasts in a big field? And then people are like "best game ever". I truly don't understand Japanese gaming culture / JRPGs anymore.

Final Fantasy VII was a god damn masterpiece, but this game looks like hot garbage, thanks.

This is possibly the stupidest looking game I've ever seen. A bunch of asian dude-bros driving in a car on a highway, then they jump out to battle some beasts in a big field?

It is cringe-inducing, but gonna give it a try anyways to see what the new FF games are all about. Haven't played one since FF10. Enjoyed all the games I played before that. Didn't really like FF10 though because they added voice acting and voice over was so bad back then. Also the ending was bad.

This game any good? I have never played or finished a Final Fantasy game. I bought FF 13 but it was garbage. Same damn battles over and over and over. I also tried some FF VII remaster and it was like terribad.
So will I like this game or what?

I liked the movie.

This game any good? I have never played or finished a Final Fantasy game. I bought FF 13 but it was garbage. Same damn battles over and over and over. I also tried some FF VII remaster and it was like terribad.

What didn't you like about VII?

Hard to say since it play unlike any other FF in the series. It's not turn based if that was the problem with VII.

I liked the movie.
If you never liked any final fantasy games then pass on this.

I beat FFXV on PS4 Pro, bought the season pass, and then never played it again heh. I'll probably pick it up for PC since I've sold my PS4 stuff and I'll be able to play through the extra content right away instead of waiting months for it to unlock.

I liked the movie.
This movie? There are a few others so just curious...
220px-Final_Fantasy_The_Spirits_Within_%282011_film%29_poster.jpg

This movie and FF13 are considered garbage by lots of FF fans. FFVII hasn't aged well at all IMO, so that's not a good one to base an impression on.

If you don't like battles over and over again then you might not like any RPG or MMORPG game? What games have you played and liked?

I love FF13, replayed it recently thought it was gorgeous and well done, perfectly difficult

If you never liked any final fantasy games then pass on this.

I would say it depends on what you didn't like about them. If you didn't like the story / Japanese-iness of it, then yeah, pass. If you didn't like the combat, give this one a try.

This movie? There are a few others so just curious...

I assume he meant Kingsglaive. I watched it as well and it was okay, it basically just fills in part of the FFXV story that isn't really covered in the game, though it's also not really essential for understanding the plot, either.

Possibly? All I know is that it looks fantastic on my 4K TV so I'm happy.

I'll be building a new rig this Fall for some other games I want to play, but I'm definitely interested in this game on the PC at 4K. I ran it on the "high" setting on the Pro and it played just fine and looked fantastic at 5-6ft away. For what it's worth, it's techincally 1800P with checkerboard-rendering to 4K.

I would say it depends on what you didn't like about them. If you didn't like the story / Japanese-iness of it, then yeah, pass. If you didn't like the combat, give this one a try.

I assume he meant Kingsglaive. I watched it as well and it was okay, it basically just fills in part of the FFXV story that isn't really covered in the game, though it's also not really essential for understanding the plot, either.

I agree. The combat is so different in this one, it's totally worth checking out if the JRPG/Turn-based combat is out of your circle of interest. It's very fast-paced and fluid. Optionally, you can tone it down and make it a little bit more "turn-based". You can also control all the characters now I believe (I never felt the need to though; had much more fun just popping off moves on the main character).

Kingslaive is worth a watch, but Brotherhood is very much worth watching. Very good quality overall.

Ran the benchmark a few times. Rig in sig.

High Quality
Score - 3493
Performance - Standard

1080p
Score - 7941
Performance - High

Standard Quality
Score - 4033
Performance - Standard

1080p
Score - 10897
Performance - Very High

Lite Quality
Score - 5761
Performance - Fairly High

1080p
Score - 13882
Performance - Extremely High

And, for the hell of it it
720p High Quality
Score - 10358
Performance - Very High

Here is a link to some benchmarks SE did.
And here is what the scores mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Random Thoughts

The performance across all tests was interesting. Going from High to Standard in 4K shows a 15% score increase vs the 37% increase with 1080p. High to Lite is a huge increase on both. 65% for 4K and 75% for 1080p. Going between 4K and 1080p at High quality increases the score by 127% and that raises to 170% for Standard quality.
According to SE's benchmarks (I really wish they provided framerate data) my system is getting a little over what their, unmentioned, test system did.

Depending on how the benchmark correlates to the final game it looks like my system might be able to hand 4K at mostly high settings.

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in graphical quality between High and Standard. Perhaps I missed some obvious stuff, but not much stuck out to me as vastly different.

Lite quality is a big difference. Everything looks noticeably worse. Draw distance and pop-in are pretty bad at Lite, as are a lot of textures. Character models still look good, though clothing textures are definitely downgraded.

Lite reminds me a lot of the PS4 version of the game.

In both Standard and High Quality the game is gorgeous. Even ignoring the sheer size of the open world, it is one of the best looking games I have seen in a long time. The Lumiouis Engine is producing some absolutely stunning visuals. This is well beyond what the consoles are putting out, the FF15 team did a great job visually. Character models look outstanding.

If performance here is inductive of the final game then SE hit it out of the park with this port.

My benchmark results with sig rig (slight OC on the 1080Ti).
Both resolution benchmarks were ran fullscreen and high quality settings.

Score - 4671 (2nd run same score)
Performance - Fairly High
My comments: The first time I ran the benchmark it was in 4K. I did notice a half second hitching between some scenes like it was loading resources. The 2nd time I ran the benchmark the hitching was gone all together, however, the score remained the same.

1080p
Score - 10189
Performance - Very High
My comments: Nothing much to say here, ran smooth with no hitching unlike my first run in 4K. Blurry mess compared to 4K in my opinion though.

Overall thoughts: I'm happy with the performance shown in 4K thus far. I really, REALLY, hope this game is easy to mod because I feel vegetation texture upgrades (especially trees) will make this game look really good. Having played the game on a PS4 Pro I will be buying the game again for sure.

Back