Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

sooo, what's the major difference between a gladiator and a Paladin? When do I get Paladin armor?

Paladin is the "promoted" class of gladiator (level 30+) and "secondary" conjurer (15+). You'll eventually get free gear once you hit level 45 that is specific to your class. Otherwise just pick up whatever is an upgrade from quests. Don't spend gil/seals on low level gear.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Paladin

sooo, what's the major difference between a gladiator and a Paladin? When do I get Paladin armor?
A paladin has additional abilities that a gladiator does not. For example, they can give themselves a permanent (well, until you die) buff which reduces all incoming damage by 20% and increases threat by 20%.

All classes get their job specific armor at 45 and 50. At 45, you get your hands, feet, head, and legs. At 50, you get your chest.

Paladins are also used heavily for interrupts as I believe their stun skill in a GCD skill as opposed to a longer CD skill.

Paladins are more mitigation tanks, and warriors are HP tanks.

Paladins are also used heavily for interrupts as I believe their stun skill in a GCD skill as opposed to a longer CD skill.

Paladins are more mitigation tanks, and warriors are HP tanks.
Hopefully they'll come out with NIN avoidance tanks!

You're correct about the stun being GCD locked. I've been a member of a couple of parties where my only job was to interrupt. "Just auto attack and interrupt. Nothing else." Dull fights, but it needs doing!

Yeah, i got that already.

From this point on you won't talk to your main trainer every 5 levels, you will talk to your job guy. Just remember where he's at. Took me a while to remember where the WHM trainer was. You get your artifact gear at level 45 minus your chest piece which you get at 50.

Why dont they just give you the AF armor by just talking to the NPC? Its pretty much the same anyways... 4 pieces in one questline Lol...

So I just got my hands on my relic. I'm pretty happy. I'm sitting on 800 myth (after I cap for the week with 1 more AK run) and I'm trying to decide if I should go for my +1 on Monday, or if I should get 2 pieces of the cheaper lvl 90 gear. Stat wise I would gain +3 damage on the weapon but more stat wise from the gear. Thoughts?

Also starting to learn what a pain in the ass it is not to have swift cast so I just picked up THM and am gonna level that. It will help lots.

Well, started the day with 100 leves with my Miner at 21 and my Botonist at 25...im at 56 leves left with my Miner at 27 and my Botonist at 28. Picked up some Grand Company gear which was a big improvement and am gonna get the rest crafted. It's great that they both use the same set lol. Also snuck in a few Cm runs and got enough Philo times to get my Darklight gloves. If I can get 3 AK runs in tomorrow night I will be able to get my +1.

With the trial and free subscription periods over now, we will see who is still having fun with the game. I sure am one of them. With the possible population drop perhaps they will open Leviathon for transfers.

So I just got my hands on my relic. I'm pretty happy. I'm sitting on 800 myth (after I cap for the week with 1 more AK run) and I'm trying to decide if I should go for my +1 on Monday, or if I should get 2 pieces of the cheaper lvl 90 gear. Stat wise I would gain +3 damage on the weapon but more stat wise from the gear. Thoughts?

Also starting to learn what a pain in the ass it is not to have swift cast so I just picked up THM and am gonna level that. It will help lots.

+1 weapon is the biggest upgrade for basically every single class except bards and warriors. Depending on your class, 1 weapon damage is worth like 7-10 of your main damage stat.

+1 weapon is the biggest upgrade for basically every single class except bards and warriors. Depending on your class, 1 weapon damage is worth like 7-10 of your main damage stat.

Know a good upgrade order from full DL for a Bard?? I bought the myth ring and I've heard the legs are the next biggest upgrade, but I'm not sure what to go for after that and when to save 900 for Relic + 1

I'm trying to start fishing but in order to join the fishing guild it says I need to complete the level 10 quest for my starting class. What does that mean? o.0

My info btw:

Smokey Pot
16 Arcanist
Goblin / NA

I'm trying to start fishing but in order to join the fishing guild it says I need to complete the level 10 quest for my starting class. What does that mean? o.0

My info btw:

Smokey Pot
16 Arcanist
Goblin / NA

Every 5 levels you get a class quest from your classes guild master, the Arcanist one is in Limsa lominsa (I can never remember how to spell it lol). It will give you weapons, gear, and the odd skill. Sounds to me like you haven't gone to see them in a while. Once you finish the level 10 class quest your guild master will say that you are free to train elsewhere.

Tried the game out and sucks ... if it's even around another 2 years from now I might check it out again once they get content to the game and all the bugs hammered out.

Some of these quests are just plain annoying. Especially the ones involving emotes.

My info btw:

Smokey Pot
16 Arcanist
Goblin / NA

ill try to remember to add you tonight

Got my fishing up to 12 last night. Was surprisingly entertaining. Thinking about working on culinary next. Everyone I've showed this game to has decided to get it. It reminds me a lot of The Last Remnant, but online. Loving it.

Truth

Gr2pAUy.png

Hilarious!

Got my miner up to 47, and my goldsmith up to 44. Holy cow, those last few levequests are OP for goldsmith. Make (or buy) 5 high quality items, get a level. At level 41, I was able to HQ the mythril ear cuffs 100% of the time. I had a stack of HQ mythril ore and basilisk eggs from mining. So I went from 41-44 via nothing but crafting (10K per item) and turning in (81K per item). I'm debating just spamming these ear cuffs and getting to 50 tonight. It should only take about 20 minutes.

Mining, on the other hand... Grr! Electrum Ore sold like mad. I figured Cobalt would be just as good. Nope, not at all. 10 stacks of 99, lowest price on the AH, and nobody's buying. It takes 12-15 stacks of ore to level up once. Honestly, at 200K exp/hour, it's not horrible, but I'm spoiled by FATEs and the GSM leves. And at this point, I have no idea WHY I'm even bothering to level mining. Once an hour or so, I'll be able to mine up a 300g item. Oooooh... Not. I could get in two CM runs in that time, Buy some Coke, sell it damned near instantly at 55K, and be WAY ahead in terms of gil/hour.

Does anyone know what ilvl items need to be in order to produce a Grade 4 Materia when converted?

Having a bunch of fun owning fates with my baby THM. The aoe really helps lol. I am levelling it now just for swift cast but I can see myself taking it further than that. Like I don't have enough on the go already lol...

Tried the game out and sucks ... if it's even around another 2 years from now I might check it out again once they get content to the game and all the bugs hammered out.

Well not everyone likes the same thing. That's why we have different style games even within the same genre. But at least you're only out of $30 at the most. I bought SWTOR Collector's Edition and lost $150.

Next time when a game has an open beta event give it a try to see if you really like it before throwing cash at it. Whatever you see in the "Beta" is what you're going to get when it goes live 99.9% of the time. Sure they will fix bugs that you experience within the beta before launch, but the core game play doesn't change no matter what fan tells you otherwise.

:)

My daughter and I are really enjoying the game. I am about to build another Rig for her and upgrade mine. Buying 2 of Aquila cases, (1 white/ 1 black) to represent white mage for her and black mage for me. Only thing I cant start building till those cases get released. With looking at their facebook it wont be until next month. I feel thats a good thing by that time the 290X is out and it should bring down the prices on the Nvidia cards.

Anyone care to share how this game runs on AMD cards (drivers issues?) if I decide to get a 290x for me and 280X for her?

Thanks

My daughter and I are really enjoying the game. I am about to build another Rig for her and upgrade mine. Buying 2 of Aquila cases, (1 white/ 1 black) to represent white mage for her and black mage for me. Only thing I cant start building till those cases get released. With looking at their facebook it wont be until next month. I feel thats a good thing by that time the 290X is out and it should bring down the prices on the Nvidia cards.

Anyone care to share how this game runs on AMD cards (drivers issues?) if I decide to get a 290x for me and 280X for her?

Thanks

I run a 7970 @ 5760x1200, no issues so far.

On another note, got my relic! I had 880/900 philosophies for my relic, so I decided to do an AK run for the bosses and then just leave. I was lucky to get a preformed group of 3 relic equipped speed runners, and we cleared AK well under 30 minutes. A great last push for the relic quest. Now, I'm 2 DL pieces from dropping all my sub-70 gear. Coil incoming!

I have all Dark Light gear and 1 accessory - finished Hydra yesterday. I need to run Ifrit (should be cake did this 20x getting weapon), Chimera, then Titan I believe for relic now...I figure by this weekend I'll have it and full DL gear and accessories.

Thanks

I'm playing this game with my 13 yr old nephew and my 30yr old brother. It's neat how it appeals to different ages.

Hit 50 on my GSM. Got a full suit of +1 level 50 armor and offhand. Got my blue tool. Had about 250K leftover. Decided to socket my gear so that I could start working on 1-and-2 star crafts.

Complete stop.

It would take me well over 10 million gil to cap my GSM armor? What. The. Unholy. Fuck. You can't even get to the 347 minimum requirement to START some 2 stars without filling every single slot with materia. Of that materia, some of it MUST be grade 4. Oh, your armor has 2 materia slots? That's nice. You can only add +1 to that stat, total, between the two slots. Oh, but you say you need that stat? Well, you can add +16 on this other piece of equipment, but it only has a single slot. So now you have to over-meld it. Your first overmeld has a 41% success chance. If you fail, you lose your 125K materia. It gets worse from there. Your final slot has an 8-12% chance of success.

And that's just to be able to TRY the recipe. Grrrrrr!

Oh, and the recipes take half a million gil in supplies. If you succeed, you get an item that's nearly worthless. You have to HQ the item to get something that'll sell, and even that will be replaced with the next patch.

TL;DR: I QQ about endgame crafting expense

Lol @ 10mil gil. I don't think I've ever had more than 100k on me with most of the time floating around 40k-50k.

*cries*

Lol

Is anyone else feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of updates, especially "quality of life" updates? There are so many features, large and small, that are missing from FFXIV:ARR that just shouldn't be missing in a 2013 MMO. FOr instance, the ability to right click on the name of spammer and add them to your blacklist/ignore list (and possibly report them as well). Also, things like say... being able to "link" items, abilities, quests etc... into the chat box so that others can interact with them. Should I really have to sit there and write out "HQ Bronze Doodad, +1 STR +2 VIT +3 DEX etc.."? (and of course, unless you complete a story quest at above level 20, you can't sell anything on the player market/auction house!) Better party frames interaction and threat visibility etc... There are a ton of these "convenience features" that seem to be missing.

I'd also like to see some content coming down the line too. Where's the player housing district? (speaking of housing, why can players not share Inn rooms and at least visit? ). I'd like to know what they're planning to do about crafting - such a huge percentage of disciplines are based on gathering/crafting, and yet there's practically zero market for 99% of items especially as you're leveling. Thus you end up spending a fortune to make the items in your crafting log to skill up, that nobody really wants! Drops (especially Dungeon/Duty) are again, typically superior to comparable-level crafted gear and I'm told that at the highest levels this is still the case! This couldbe fixed by having end-game content drop materials for the best gear that require high-level crafting to actually assemble them, but rarely does a game ever seem to do this. I liked how the early levels of crafting allowed you to skill up by using affordable storebought materials, but that plummets off a cliff around level 12 or so. If most of what we make offers little profit, then at very least let us skill up without having to spend a fortune.

Mayhap I've been spoiled by Guild Wars 2 and to some extent WoW, but it seems that there is a lot of polish missing and I don't see any hurry to bring out new content (as opposed to say - GW2's updates every 2 weeks!), which disappoints me. FFXIV:ARR has some good qualities surely, but it doesn't break new ground with something amazing to overlook the lack of polish like this.

GW2 updates are pretty much "rehash the last event with different mobs and skins and put it out the door again" from what I saw before I left a couple weeks ago.

Keep in mind too, FFXIV is a Japanese game, and is more designed with what they are used to having in an MMO. Things we're used to I'm sure will be added, but the mentality over there is quite different.

I'd love previews of items and blacklisting with a right click as well. I'm sure it will get added. The game has only been out a month now, so its not like we're 6 months in without any updates.

Give it another month or two and then I'd be more concerned. That will be the point where I'm looking at how much progress they've made.

EDIT- Looks like they're rolling out an event for Halloween, though details are pretty scarce atm.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000520.html

Last edited:
there are tons of QOA ( quality of life ) update coming
right click blacklist/sorting items/ preview items all are in works
one good thing about FF14 is that devs do read forums and listen to community
as far as content update goes, Yoshida producer already have mentioned that they want to push content updates every 3 month or so give or take
2.1 is upcoming content update ( sort of like expansion ) that will feature Crystal tower raid / PvP arena / Housing / new instances / new primal fight which is due december

Update coming tonight. Servers will be down from 8pm until 2am PST. They haven't released the change notes from what I've seen but good changes are rumored. More places to get myth, more reasons to kill junk, hopefully less queue times for AK. More that I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Just got my Marauder to 30 and Gladiator to 15 and unlocked warrior. Gonna go tank some Haukke Manor.

Any idea what the update brought - besides getting us setup for server transfers and possibly a new pvp arena? I can't go to the site now - at work.

Any idea what the update brought - besides getting us setup for server transfers and possibly a new pvp arena? I can't go to the site now - at work.

I've been checking on my phone, at work too. The only link I can find from them is dead. I'm sure someone will let us know soon. Can't wait to hear!

Guys you will be able to do FREE server transfers for the next 5 days. I will move my daughter and I to a USA server. Right now we play on a UK server.

Going from memory:

CM now has guards that pay attention - You can't sneak behind them any more
Wanderer's Palace now drops 30 Mythology tokens and 100 Philosophy tokens
You can't stand on the tree in AK and be invincible during the first boss fight anymore
Equipment now binds the second you gather/fight/etc.
Extra servers for AK
Leve rewards increased for MIN/BOT
Mobs in AK now drop gil
AK now drops 100 Philosophy tomes instead of 80
Garuda now drops 10 Mythology tomes instead of 7 (Titan increased as well, but I don't recall how much)

There's probably a lot more, but I can't recall any.

Back