Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

I think the worse part of this game is the fact that you couldn't leave any feedback in the open beta and you still can't, and in my opinion, even trumps the endless number issues currently in the game. Kind of sad that any communication between the community and the development team is passive at best.

Does anyone have a link to the "Special" bonuses? For instance, I have the Onion Helm, but I was to believe there are several other bonuses out there as well. One for having a XI linked account, one for a "pre-order" somehow, maybe something for being in beta, one for Standard Edition when it comes out, and one for having Final Fantasy XIII PS3 registered on the same SE Members account that is linked to XIV?

Does anyone have the "Asuran Armguards"? According to http://support.na.square-enix.com/f...=10&page=5&c=0&sc=0&so=0&q=Final+Fantasy+XIII

This item is the one from having the FFXIII registered, but it doesn't seem to say where to find the code? For instance, I registered on the Members site, but is there somewhere I must go to get the Asuran Armguards code that needs to be registered directly into SEAccount Management?

Edit: Found it! Go to Square Enix Members, log in. Then Go to "Features", Final Fantasy XIII, Bonus Codes, View Bonus Code... cumbersome to find - it is NOT in your account information!

Edit2: I should also mention it seems there is a problem registering the FFXIV Collector's Edition with SE Members. Maybe it won't be present until Standard launch?

I now I have both Asuran Armguards and Onion Helm! I'm wondering if there's anyone out there willing to give or sell me the Garland Goggles....

Last edited:
Edit: Found it! Go to Square Enix Members, log in. Then Go to "Features", Final Fantasy XIII, Bonus Codes, View Bonus Code... cumbersome to find - it is NOT in your account information!

SE's motto apparently.

my collectors edition arrives tomorrow, is there a way to pre download the patch needed before I install the game?

I hear it is massive, like multiple GB, and would like less downtime.

Finally it's released. :D Been looking forward to this for a long time.

Ordered the CE and been having a blast. I am only level 10, but were it not for work I'd be much higher. My weekend begins now, so my marathon begins as well.

Does anyone know which servers have a majority of Japanese players? I ask because I will be playing during strange hours and won't find many people from North America at 4 or 5 am. Plus it will give me a chance to practice Japanese.

Does anyone know which servers have a majority of Japanese players? I ask because I will be playing during strange hours and won't find many people from North America at 4 or 5 am. Plus it will give me a chance to practice Japanese.

Mysidia and Gysahl have a pretty huge jp populations, though they are spread out just about everywhere..
I have a character on Gysahl if you make a character over there, Ririna Lunasera, Lalafell gladiator extraordinaire (read: lv 8)

For such a good looking game, I would have expected this thread to be over 3 pages by now. Usually release threads explode the first day.

For such a good looking game, I would have expected this thread to be over 3 pages by now. Usually release threads explode the first day.

the thread of people bitching about the open beta was pretty huge. I suspect there is a relationship between the two threads :p I certainly cancelled my plans of picking this up on launch, I know some other people did as well.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

A number of people won't even get their CEs until today or tomorrow.
I know 3 separate people that got burned by Best Buy's inability to ship to store on time.
At least they got $10 coupons.

I wasn't impressed with the gameplay during the beta, and I don't think I'll have time, so I'm letting my pre-order sit and might grab it after a few updates, but I really wasn't happy with the way it turned out, I had higher hopes and I'm having trouble with the new system as a hardwore XI player.

So uh... they released a controller for the pc version... do you need a controller to be effective in the game?

Is a controller superior to the mouse + keyboard for this game?

Depends on your play style. I personally think keyboard is easier especially if you're using macros.

For those outside of the US, play.com has a good deal on FFXIV.

So uh... they released a controller for the pc version... do you need a controller to be effective in the game?

Is a controller superior to the mouse + keyboard for this game?

I use mouse/keyboard and I haven't had an issue yet.

I decided to start as a miner. My question is which class is used to turn the ores into ingots (Blacksmith/Armorer/or Goldsmith?), so that I can try that next. Any tips for a miner are also welcomed. Thanks.

edit: I have not played beta, and was confused about the difference between levequests and 'opening journey' quests. Which do I need to do as a miner?

Last edited:
I decided to start as a miner. My question is which class is used to turn the ores into ingots (Blacksmith/Armorer/or Goldsmith?), so that I can try that next. Any tips for a miner are also welcomed. Thanks.

edit: I have not played beta, and was confused about the difference between levequests and 'opening journey' quests. Which do I need to do as a miner?

You can do both kinds of quests.

Stay away from battlecraft leve quests, as those are combat-oriented.. you'll be looking for fieldcraft.

As I understand it, blacksmith is the class that melts the ore into nuggets, which can be converted into ingots.

The initial conversion from ore to nugget requires a fire crystal, which drops from enemies, but nugget to ingot needs fire shards, which are more common.. you'll get those from mining and combat.

Both Goldsmithing and Blacksmithing can produce nuggets. Lodestone has a list of all level 1-30 recipies, so be sure to check that incase you have any questions regarding low level synthesis.

One thing that always bugged me in MMO's was the boomerang lag. Shadowbane was horrible at this.

What I don't understand is, in some MMO's like Everquest, when you lag out, the server recognizes you where you stand when the lag stops, rather than forcing you back to where it last knew of you (the boomerang). I wonder what the incentive is for MMO developers to think boomeranging someone back is the better idea? Lag is irritating but doing that makes it even worse to me.

Otherwise, from what I see about FF XIV, you can choose your server finally? As for languages, how to they separate English for non-English worlds so you don't choose a world full of foreign languages?

Yes, you can choose your server, and they don't have any region restrictions, so everyone mingles with everyone else. So expect to see Japanese, German, French, English, and other languages on the same server.

been watching my roommate to play for a few days now, holy shit the battle system is slow. Took him like 4 minutes to kill a small rat. I don't think this will be the game for me

been watching my roommate to play for a few days now, holy shit the battle system is slow. Took him like 4 minutes to kill a small rat. I don't think this will be the game for me

Sounds like he doesn't have the hang of killing stuff yet, if it takes over 30 seconds, you are doing it wrong.

The highest level that I have seen in person is 12. End game wont be established for a while people are going to explore and learn the new style and system of play.

I am a rank 14 fisher. I loved fishing in FFXI and it's my highest rank class in this game so far. My other is a level 9 thau.

My first reaction to only seeing a level 14 after a few days was "wow this game must have some slow leveling" which isn't typical of new MMO's. Then I remembered that after leveling after a few hours on a class basically gimps your XP for a few days.

My first reaction to only seeing a level 14 after a few days was "wow this game must have some slow leveling" which isn't typical of new MMO's. Then I remembered that after leveling after a few hours on a class basically gimps your XP for a few days.

Are you talking about the so-called "surplus"? Lots of people seem to think they eased up yet again on it since the latest patch. I browse the FFXIVCore forums a lot and very little people have actually hit it so far, and if they have, they're around level 20+ already, just after a few days have began since CE early access began. Go spread your false knowledge somewhere else.

Edit: Found a good thread. This guy has level 20 on two characters already and hasn't hit surplus. Not to mention you can still level up when you've hit the surplus, just a reduced exp rate.

Last edited:
Kay so whats absolutely KILLING me is the HORRENDOUS input lag.

I move my mouse, the cursor goes exactly where I want it. K good.

I try moving my POV with the mouse OH GOD WHERE IS IT *waits* YAY I MOVED.

What the hell.

Anyone know why it runs so god awefully slowly? It's a bit better now that I've tweaked CF in to running on it, but this input lag still exists, and is utterly horrid.

Horrible coding, console port, etc.

Try turning off Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field.

Yah know i loved FFXI, but there were some things i didn't like, such as traveling, the exp penalties, and also the economy(at least on pheonix). Could someone please elaborate on these subjects for me? I know they put some kind of teleport system in place, but other than that? What about getting to the actually quest location?

I really want to give this game a chance but i'm still on the fence about making the purchase.

Kay so whats absolutely KILLING me is the HORRENDOUS input lag.

I move my mouse, the cursor goes exactly where I want it. K good.

I try moving my POV with the mouse OH GOD WHERE IS IT *waits* YAY I MOVED.

What the hell.

Anyone know why it runs so god awefully slowly? It's a bit better now that I've tweaked CF in to running on it, but this input lag still exists, and is utterly horrid.

Make sure you have hardware mouse enable in the Config.

Yah know i loved FFXI, but there were some things i didn't like, such as traveling, the exp penalties, and also the economy(at least on pheonix). Could someone please elaborate on these subjects for me? I know they put some kind of teleport system in place, but other than that? What about getting to the actually quest location?

I really want to give this game a chance but i'm still on the fence about making the purchase.

Traveling is still cumbersome. They did put in a teleport system, but it uses something called anima. You get 100 anima when you first make your character, and traveling to different camps costs 4 anima while traveling to the different main towns and their camps takes 6, so anima doesn't last very long. I am level 15 now and I am having to conserve my anima as I only have 10 left. :eek:

As far as I know, there is no exp penalty when you die, at least that I've seen. If there is one, it's so minor I haven't even noticed it. You do get a death debuff when you die (I think it's five minutes), but by the time you run back to your guildleve location, minutes have worn down already on the debuff.

Obviously there is not really much of an economy to speak of as the game isn't even officially released yet.

Canceled my pre-order because of the 8 hour exp cap a week. LOL

Hearing mostly bad things in general about the game.

Good luck to those who bought it.

Back