Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

So I know some people couldn't get on at first, some moved to be with friends, and some have just gotten the game,

I know there are more of you out there!

Got a bunch done tonight. Ran through story mode Garuda with the FC with 2 healers! We both needed it, lol. Its amazing what a good group can do. I am also loving this story, it keeps getting better and better. I think I am just about finished it now as it feels like its coming up to the big bang, and the quests are lvl 49 now, so there really cant be much left.

Tomorrow I take down the Empire! (I think)

So I know some people couldn't get on at first, some moved to be with friends, and some have just gotten the game,

I know there are more of you out there!

Got a bunch done tonight. Ran through story mode Garuda with the FC with 2 healers! We both needed it, lol. Its amazing what a good group can do. I am also loving this story, it keeps getting better and better. I think I am just about finished it now as it feels like its coming up to the big bang, and the quests are lvl 49 now, so there really cant be much left.

Tomorrow I take down the Empire! (I think)

I love the story so far, and the job quests adds a great touch to the game. In part, reminds me of the job quests I had to do with Ragnarok Online.

I'm thinking that the current main storyline is going to expand further as time goes on. We deal with the Primals now, and maybe Garlean Empire next. And, just like FFXI, there are other continents that are mentioned in and out of the quests that are just waiting to be opened up and released.

I just hope that unlike with FFXI, the next expansions to FFXIV continue the momentum of game forward without destroying older content. And, I hope the team behind FFXIV doesn't stop expanding the game. There's so much potential that can be had in FFXIV but I'm so afraid they'd fall into the same problem that's currently plaguing FFXI right now in its later years.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell anyone can max out any crafting skill in less than 2 months of solid playtime (no work, no sleep, no other life).

I tried Weaving, since I'm a cloth wearer... by the time I'm done making spools to make cloth to make items and back around again, I've lost hours and hours of time.... and this is with being able to buy the mats I need right off the guild merchant. Once I'm forced to start gathering on my own, it's only going to get worse as a time sink that I can see. I got to level 10 and was about ready to kill someone when I realized I'd blown more time than it would have taken me to start and alt and level to 30 on Fates.

I just dont see how anyone can A) enjoy this or B) make money at it, unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious that you can direct me to? Its so tedious to level and it seems like no one buys anything you make since quests give much better items for rewards. Are there items at max crafting skill that make the tedious road to the top worth it that people do pay big money for?

Going in for more laser work on my eyes tomorrow to stem off the blindness a bit longer, and once I'm back home for the day off from work, I'd love to do something simple like crafting since I wont be able to see well enough to fight, but at the moment, I dread even trying.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell anyone can max out any crafting skill in less than 2 months of solid playtime (no work, no sleep, no other life).

I tried Weaving, since I'm a cloth wearer... by the time I'm done making spools to make cloth to make items and back around again, I've lost hours and hours of time.... and this is with being able to buy the mats I need right off the guild merchant. Once I'm forced to start gathering on my own, it's only going to get worse as a time sink that I can see. I got to level 10 and was about ready to kill someone when I realized I'd blown more time than it would have taken me to start and alt and level to 30 on Fates.

I just dont see how anyone can A) enjoy this or B) make money at it, unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious that you can direct me to? Its so tedious to level and it seems like no one buys anything you make since quests give much better items for rewards. Are there items at max crafting skill that make the tedious road to the top worth it that people do pay big money for?

Going in for more laser work on my eyes tomorrow to stem off the blindness a bit longer, and once I'm back home for the day off from work, I'd love to do something simple like crafting since I wont be able to see well enough to fight, but at the moment, I dread even trying.

Tradecraft leves my friend. They give very good exp to begin with, but if you turn in an HQ version of the item, the exp/gil rewards TRIPLE. I got 5 levels of Alchemy (16-21) in about 10 minutes by turning in HQ Potions for a leve in Horizon.

Tradecraft leves my friend. They give very good exp to begin with, but if you turn in an HQ version of the item, the exp/gil rewards TRIPLE. I got 5 levels of Alchemy (16-21) in about 10 minutes by turning in HQ Potions for a leve in Horizon.

And how do you get HQ items to turn in? You'd have to buy them I assume since even at 10 I cant make a HQ anything yet.

I've barely spent a coin other than on Weaving mats from the guild merchant and I've only got about 12k to my name at 31 which is peanuts compared to what I see others around my level with... like 1-2 million Gil....

Are there items at max crafting skill that make the tedious road to the top worth it that people do pay big money for?
In short, no. That's the biggest complaint a lot of folks have with this game. What people do instead is create high-level armor, wear it until it hits 100%, and then convert it. Level 50 crafters make a lot of their money off melds. You can also HQ level 50 armor, which makes it on par with the Darklight gear. The downside is that if you DON'T HQ it, you have an essentially worthless item. Oh yeah, and your ingredients for the item require the same tomestones that the darklight gear requires.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. If FFXI was anything to go off of, you can get to level 20, make HQ level 10 items, and sell them on the AH for a profit. Remember that folks love doing alts, and once they've got a couple 50s, they've probably got gil to spend on getting "the best" gear for their next job.

And how do you get HQ items to turn in? You'd have to buy them I assume since even at 10 I cant make a HQ anything yet.

I've barely spent a coin other than on Weaving mats from the guild merchant and I've only got about 12k to my name at 31 which is peanuts compared to what I see others around my level with... like 1-2 million Gil....

Best to just gather them yourself, as you're killing two birds with one stone - you're not spending money on the mats which means anything you make for levequests are 100% profit, plus you'll be leveling faster in the crafting class by making HQ items for those levequests.

It ultimately comes down to a time vs. money dilemma - if you have more time than money (as it seems to be the case with you), then you'll be far better off gathering the mats yourself. Think of it as an investment.

im not gathering. it takes like 3 to 4 times as long heh.

right now i just buy the materials as they are DIRT cheap. even if you dont do HQ leves its still worth it.

HQ leves are the fastest though. i am about to be lvl 40 goldsmithing all because the HQ leves i did last night were giving me 61k + 1500gil. i was buying the rings for 3k so minus the reward 1500gil for 61k experience. WORTH IT. got 5 levels in 20 minutes :)

Titan hardmode down, just need to farm some tomes to finish the quest. unfortunately queues are gimping me hard

Oh, one other thing to note - once you hit about 15 on your first job and can start doing dungeons, always, ALWAYS choose the sellable currency rewards from quests. You'll make a couple hundred K off that alone from doing the main story quests, and can fill in any gear gaps that you don't get from dungeons off the market for less than what you earn from the sellable currency.

Case in point: Around lvl 34, there are two successive main story quests that give the option of a lvl 34 weapon (1 for each class spread between the two quests), or 3000g in sellable currency. If you take the currency reward both times, you get 6000g total. Let's say that you actually needed one of the weapons from the quest though for your current class. Well, those same level 34 weapons you can get from NPCs for like 5200g, so you're already making ~800g by taking the currency and buying the weapon yourself. Or, even better, take a look at the markets and you can probably snag the same weapon for closer to 2000g, which puts you 4000g in the black AND you still have the same weapon that the quests offered.

Last edited:
I guess I'll try to find something else to do other than crafting then, since it doesnt really appear to be worth it for me just now.

Guess I can just run around and Fate grind to 50 then go back and do... something....

I guess I'll try to find something else to do other than crafting then, since it doesnt really appear to be worth it for me just now.

Guess I can just run around and Fate grind to 50 then go back and do... something....

yeah, its not bad to do on your spare time. ill be making a ton of money when my GSM is @ 50 just doing melds and selling trinkets here and there

Lol, that made me feel like a total nerd.

Some dude at work asked what I was doing tonight. I said I was heading to Eorzea! I got an odd look to say the least

Can't wait to get home. The empire falls tonight!

yeah, its not bad to do on your spare time. ill be making a ton of money when my GSM is @ 50 just doing melds and selling trinkets here and there

Im sitting at 900k gil atm just from farming. Im currently 45min/43bot and 35 weaving and most other crafting jobs are in the 20's.

My highest battle class is a 28 CNJ :D

I dont know why but Im completely addicted to crafting/gathering in this game.

To the guy that says making the cloth takes hours...After you succesfully make ONE you can do quick synthesis for as many as you want. I can usually get 1-2 levels just from coverting all my stuff to thread/cloth at each new level.

Im sitting at 900k gil atm just from farming.
Would you mind sharing what you farm? I'm working on leveling up my mining right now. I get about 4 stacks of whatever I'm mining per level (at 22). I just don't know what to mine! How do you figure out how quickly stacks of items sell for? Just put 'em up yourself? Do you sell a full stack of 99 or break it down into several stacks of, I don't know... 5? It's easy enough to hop on the AH and see that Widget Ore sells for 9999 gil a stack, but if only one stack is bought a month, it's not the most efficient thing to mine.

Im sitting at 900k gil atm just from farming. Im currently 45min/43bot and 35 weaving and most other crafting jobs are in the 20's.

My highest battle class is a 28 CNJ :D

I dont know why but Im completely addicted to crafting/gathering in this game.

To the guy that says making the cloth takes hours...After you succesfully make ONE you can do quick synthesis for as many as you want. I can usually get 1-2 levels just from coverting all my stuff to thread/cloth at each new level.

i could probably make a lot of gil from farming supplies, but im using every material i get for my crafts

as for quick synth, i wouldnt recommend it unless youre a lot higher than the recipe, and im talking 10+ levels higher, i got a lot of levels just making ingots from ores manually, when you can make higher quality they give a lot more experience, quick synth cuts your exp to 1/3 i think

Would you mind sharing what you farm? I'm working on leveling up my mining right now. I get about 4 stacks of whatever I'm mining per level (at 22). I just don't know what to mine! How do you figure out how quickly stacks of items sell for? Just put 'em up yourself? Do you sell a full stack of 99 or break it down into several stacks of, I don't know... 5? It's easy enough to hop on the AH and see that Widget Ore sells for 9999 gil a stack, but if only one stack is bought a month, it's not the most efficient thing to mine.

just research your markets, check what ores or reagents are selling and for how much and then search xivdb for locations, then decide which you will farm, it all depends on the server economy and what players are going through in terms of crafts

i also normally split my stuff in 10s if im gonna put it on the ah

quick synth cuts your exp to 1/3 i think

I believe it's actually ½ of the exp of a normal synth at the base quality of zero. You also get the same base 1% HQ chance as well. Seeing as you can click a couple buttons/keys and get normal EXP with those same conditions, quick synthesis is never really worth it unless you have a truckton of items to synth and want to synth them up while you're sleeping.

just research your markets, check what ores or reagents are selling and for how much and then search xivdb for locations, then decide which you will farm, it all depends on the server economy and what players are going through in terms of crafts

i also normally split my stuff in 10s if im gonna put it on the ah

I dont split anything. Only having 20 slots of shit selling at a time, you just lose out on way to much money. People will buy it regardless.

I wont list exactly what Im farming but I can tell you this. MOST of the farmable gathering mats sell for shit but there are a few that are selling for a lot more than others. In fact one of the items ive been making a killing off of is very near a town with no aggro of any sort..

The bulk of my money has been made from a weaving leve that Pops in quarrymill. It gives the chance at anywhere from 10-30 diremite web for ONE leve. Diremite web sells for 300-400 gil EACH atm. This is a random thing though. Most of the time the leve will just give crystals. I got lucky and got on a spree of the leve giving 30 diremite web a shot and made a killing.

If you want to make money its there to be made. It isnt terribly easy atm though.

I believe it's actually ½ of the exp of a normal synth at the base quality of zero. You also get the same base 1% HQ chance as well. Seeing as you can click a couple buttons/keys and get normal EXP with those same conditions, quick synthesis is never really worth it unless you have a truckton of items to synth and want to synth them up while you're sleeping.

Well I only use quick synth for crafting the bazillion cloth/thread I need. Its really not a viable option for "doing while you sleep" unless you set up some sort of AHK script. The max you can quick synth at any time is 99 and that takes all of 10 minutes.

Well I only use quick synth for crafting the bazillion cloth/thread I need. Its really not a viable option for "doing while you sleep" unless you set up some sort of AHK script. The max you can quick synth at any time is 99 and that takes all of 10 minutes.

Allright, more like a quick power-nap then. :p

goldsmithing is level 45, sooo close.

i guess there is no maintenance. i was gonna buy gta 5 if there was :p

Anyone else having issues with the Client when trying to log in? I start up the Client and it brings up the Login window/screen - but there is no spot for username/password/1 time pass/code.....but everything else is there.

Anyone else having issues with the Client when trying to log in? I start up the Client and it brings up the Login window/screen - but there is no spot for username/password/1 time pass/code.....but everything else is there.

this happens on launcher
you just select charater after loading up client

I just finished the main storyline and holy hell was it good. I gotta rewatch a few of the last cuts scenes cause one of the groups I was in was a bit pushy, but they knew what they were doing.

I'm in the process of unlocking the Hard mode primals. Do you have to do them in order? Since it seems like a continuation of the main story I would think so but I'm not sure.

Can't wait for more action.

I just finished the main storyline and holy hell was it good. I gotta rewatch a few of the last cuts scenes cause one of the groups I was in was a bit pushy, but they knew what they were doing.

I'm in the process of unlocking the Hard mode primals. Do you have to do them in order? Since it seems like a continuation of the main story I would think so but I'm not sure.

Can't wait for more action.

You have to do the primals in order. Ifirit -> Garuda -> Titan.

You can kill Ifirit with no problem as a fresh 50. Garuda you'll likely need mostly gear out of AK, and Titan you're going to want a decent amount of Darklight stuff.

You have to do the primals in order. Ifirit -> Garuda -> Titan.

You can kill Ifirit with no problem as a fresh 50. Garuda you'll likely need mostly gear out of AK, and Titan you're going to want a decent amount of Darklight stuff.

Awesome, thanks.

1 more question. Do I have to beat all 3 hard mode primals before I can get my last GC ranks (for now anyways)? I was eyeing a 1h CNJ weapon they had there that is +8 over the 2h I'm currently using. Can't wait to get my hands on it with a shield.

I also read somewhere that the last rank costs approx 25000 seals + 8000 for the weapon. Is that right? So I think I need about 10k more seals to complete it.

I had that issue. Solved it by adjusting the Internet Explorer settings, of all things. (I think it's because I was using Server 2012 as my OS, though. May not apply to you.)

Spent all day yesterday mining. I thought I had it figured out. Everything I could mine would return 20-30gil per item, except for one item - Mudstone. Those were selling for 200 gil per item. They're easy enough to get, and would level me up, so I went and mined up five stacks. I come back, put them on the AH, and go to sleep. Today I woke up, and went to check my retainer. Nothing. Turns out, during the night, some jerk decided to put up a few stacks for 60 gil per. I can understand undercutting, but why on earth would you do it by such a large amount? There's now several folks trying to undercut him by a few gil. So, what was going to be a 100K payload instead is looking like a 25K return. Granted, it's only 2 hours of work, but I really was hoping for more :(

I got my relic weapon, only need one more AK run to be capped on myth badges and I bought my AF2 chest. yeah i know +1 relic weapon is better. but i was tired of looking lame. :) yes thats how i make decisions sometimes :D

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1578804/

^^ check how much cooler I look.

going to take a break for a few days to get down on GTA. :)

I got my relic weapon, only need one more AK run to be capped on myth badges and I bought my AF2 chest. yeah i know +1 relic weapon is better. but i was tired of looking lame. :) yes thats how i make decisions sometimes :D

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1578804/

^^ check how much cooler I look.

going to take a break for a few days to get down on GTA. :)

Nice!!

This game is near unplayable on my laptop :(, it basically overheats after 15 minutes and my wireless loses connection. My computer wont come in until monday so I'm stuck playing the crafting game until then. I apparently maxed my leve allowances too, so I'm fighting just to keep using the leves.....

New nVidia drivers out today. Go and get em!

They don't mention this game at all except under 3d vision profiles with a Not Recommended note beside it...

Gonna see how they do after maintenance.

WOO!!!!! 1017 error! the world if full please try again. I LOVE THIS GAME!

I think the earlier maintenence may have done something. They are taking servers down again at 10pm PST for 1 hour.

Nice!!

This game is near unplayable on my laptop :(, it basically overheats after 15 minutes and my wireless loses connection. My computer wont come in until monday so I'm stuck playing the crafting game until then. I apparently maxed my leve allowances too, so I'm fighting just to keep using the leves.....

Sorry to hear that. What are you building?

Back