Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

Is there clothing i can purchase to make my armor smithing better?

Yes, the gear that you are looking for will have Control and Craftsmanship stats on it. Most of it can be purchased from vendors under the "Field Gear" option, and you can craft your own if you level up Weaver and Leatherworker.

After days of searching, finally scored a physical copy! Now, is there any way I can actually create a character on a NA server?

LoL - sorry thought I had refreshed my browser when I posted this - I see now I hadn't.

You might check the GC Quartermaster - I believe I saw some items there that boost some of the crafting skills.

To be fair if you focus on just the main story it only takes maybe 5 hours (starting from scratch) to get your retainer.

I'm not planning to race through just to get that Id' like to take my time and enjoy the world and story, but I'd also love to sell 4 bags of HQ fish that I've gotten. Any idea about what level the quest comes up at?

My highest is only 16 atm.

leves dont give any gil unforunately. experience only

yes. there are gathering and crafting sets. and theyre separate.

yes they are SUPER important

to put it into perspective i was using the starting race armor

lvl 10 leve quests at lvl 7 and i was trying to mine these things and failing, only 35% chance to successfully mine the quest item.

when i bought lvl 10 gear it went to 95%

Yes, the gear that you are looking for will have Control and Craftsmanship stats on it. Most of it can be purchased from vendors under the "Field Gear" option, and you can craft your own if you level up Weaver and Leatherworker.

thanks guys

I'm not planning to race through just to get that Id' like to take my time and enjoy the world and story, but I'd also love to sell 4 bags of HQ fish that I've gotten. Any idea about what level the quest comes up at?

My highest is only 16 atm.

Sadly fishing is mostly worthless as a profession. It's not meant to "make money" like the others and instead they for some odd reason think people want to fish for the "fun" of it but miss the point that fishing for virtual fish isn't really "fun" unless there's more to it then drop your lure in, tap a button.

You might be able to sell a few HQ fish that are used in Alchemy (Shark oil) but a lot of fish are not worth much at all.

when can i start making some money off armor smithing? So far I'm losing money, haha. Almost to Iron now.... takes forever to level =/

Sadly fishing is mostly worthless as a profession. It's not meant to "make money" like the others and instead they for some odd reason think people want to fish for the "fun" of it but miss the point that fishing for virtual fish isn't really "fun" unless there's more to it then drop your lure in, tap a button.

You might be able to sell a few HQ fish that are used in Alchemy (Shark oil) but a lot of fish are not worth much at all.

you can use the fish in culinary and from what i heard food buffs can net you some decent cash in XI. might be the same here

when can i start making some money off armor smithing? So far I'm losing money, haha. Almost to Iron now.... takes forever to level =/

it'll be awhile. nobody will be using the gear you craft unfortunately.

at 50 though there is some real potential to make some dough

Oh goody. Guess its 3 Gil a piece to the merchant then. Sigh.

I need to pick one server and one character and stick with it, but its hard when people I know are spread out all over still. Bleh.

I've leveled every trade skill to at least 20 (except Armor because that seems the most pointless for now). Mining is at 31 and BS at 26

If you are patient with researching the market, you can level all the tradeskills for a slight profit, or at worst breaking even. Leveling to 10 is really easy for any craft. Once you hit 10, you want to start getting HQ items for your crafters. You can either make them yourself, or buy HQ items off the market. HQ items will greatly increase the rate you level up. More control means more quality in a craft, even if you dont get an HQ item, you receive bonus exp for the quality you did put on a craft. If you gear is high enough, you actually get more EXP not using HQ ingredients because you dont get bonus XP for the quality that comes from HQ ingredients.

The two best tradeskills to start with would probably be blacksmithing or weaving.

Most of the left side of your equipment gives craftmanship or control bonuses, most of those come from weavers. Some from from leather and carpentry, but the vast majority comes from weaving. Eventually goldsmithing will be very useful. Trinkets are good for more CP, which gives more options for maxing out quality.

Most of the crafting MH and OH come from bs, so making HQ items goes a long way on that side too. Weaving needle comes from Goldsmithing though, and cooking skillets from armor smithing.

The same tradeskills are the most important to getting HQ gathering gear too. For gathering, I've noticed that my perception almost always maxes out my HQ chances, so I dont even bother with HQ perception equipment, its all about gathering gear. The right side of the equipment (trinkets and such) isnt as important for gathering, extra GP is mostly pointless in the field.

Also, dont waste your time with tradeskill leves under level 20. It's not that hard to hit 20, and 20 starts yielding some good exp per quests. I've seen 30k per lvl 20 mining leve, and multiple turnins for crafting leves gives like 60-80k at lvl 20.

So Ifinally have the funds to put my max vi extreme to use. Thinking iI will just "downgrade" to a 4670k instead of spending the extra 100 or so on the 4770k. Even when I get another video card it should be fine with sli.

Not gonna be in game much this weekend. Going hiking to Wedgemount Lake. I took Monday off to recover though so i should be able to get a good part of the way to 50. May be on for a bit tonight too but the hike is pretty rough so I will want to get a good night sleep.

ok, how the fuck do you hold argo with a gladiator? I held some, but not a lot. I spammed the hell out of flash until mp was gone. What am I missing?

Fast Blade to Savage Blade combo if you're low level. Around 26 you get Rage of Halorne which is the 3rd part of your combo. Spam Flash when you get a chance. :) I pull while running in with Shield Lob.

I'm only level 28 and can pull threat off anyone my level.

Last edited:
we just need to be patient.

i have noticed a great deal better improvements with a few tweaks that make the game very playable.

for one if youre on 8.1 preview the ONLY drivers to be using are the official drivers released specifically for 8.1 not betas. they have given me the best performance in game so far.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-preview-326.01-whql-driver.html

Also if you turn off Occlusion that will help you a great deal and have little to zero effect on visuals, lowering shadow resolution and shadow cascading to normal you will notice your fps sky rocket as well.

the frame limiter seems to be a little gimp as well. i use forced adaptive vsync with triple buffering and it helps a great deal.

there is a CPU bottlenecking issue regardless but these few things will help the game be playable. Brian and I are pretty sensitive to frame drops.. but atleast this is a start

its definitely an SLI thing.

but also a combination because sometimes i am hindered by the cpu and its obvious

Tried out today what you said, and it really has helped with fates and overall framerate. I am still having alt-tab crashes which hardlock my pc from time to time. Sometimes he doesnt lock up, and I get an Nvidia drivers have crash message.

Anyway thanks for the heads up....lets hope the next Nvidia drivers help us out.

Last edited:
Tried this FATE farming thing today instead of dungeons/quests. Literally 3x faster to level, plus I got about 10K seals from it. Finally got my GLD to 30. Ready to unlock PLD tomorrow!

Did anybody see Odin in the North Shroud tonight? It was pretty awesome, there must have been 150 people there trying to take him down. We got his health all the way down and bam! "FATE FAILED"....crazy to see so many all drop at once.

That being said, got my Dragoon to 50 and unlocked all my job armor, back to the story line now...

Did anybody see Odin in the North Shroud tonight? It was pretty awesome, there must have been 150 people there trying to take him down. We got his health all the way down and bam! "FATE FAILED"....crazy to see so many all drop at once.

That being said, got my Dragoon to 50 and unlocked all my job armor, back to the story line now...

yea I was there. I noticed he was casting a spell and I tried to run outta the red circle on the ground, but i barely missed it. Not sure if you get outta the circle if you get fate completed.

Nah, you need to down him before it finishes.

Problem is there were too many "noobs" aoe'ing and making him invisible to most people, and no one used LBs on him at the end, usually it's much easier to kill him late at night.

Nah, you need to down him before it finishes.

Problem is there were too many "noobs" aoe'ing and making him invisible to most people, and no one used LBs on him at the end, usually it's much easier to kill him late at night.

brian does your FC have somebody that can meld my sanguines scepter with this materia?

trying to get rolling on my relic quest now that i only need to down titan

So the word on the street is that the FC skill that reduces the teleport cost is the thing to go with instead of the xp bonus. The idea is that you save gil on the cost of travel considering the fact that right now all we have is a gil sink and no known money making market for gil in the 50/end game.

I'm not saying we have to do this, just opening up for discussion.

brian does your FC have somebody that can meld my sanguines scepter with this materia?

trying to get rolling on my relic quest now that i only need to down titan

I'll check when i get on today and let you know.

Right now you can make tons of gil spamming Amdapor Keep (lvl50 dungeon) speedruns for Philosophers Tokens, exchange them for Animal Fat and Peacock Ores and sell those for 100-120k each. I make 500-600k a day like that. On a new players server theres probably less demand at the moment as those materials are used for the iLvl70 accessories (rose gold stuff) and some lvl50 gear. Prices will drop in a few weeks but at the moment its easy profit.

Right now you can make tons of gil spamming Amdapor Keep (lvl50 dungeon) speedruns for Philosophers Tokens, exchange them for Animal Fat and Peacock Ores and sell those for 100-120k each. I make 500-600k a day like that. On a new players server theres probably less demand at the moment as those materials are used for the iLvl70 accessories (rose gold stuff) and some lvl50 gear. Prices will drop in a few weeks but at the moment its easy profit.

Hmm I may have to look into that on my server. I was obviously saving up for Darklight gear, but I may have to put that on hold to get a larger gil cushion. I'm sure prices will stay high on those materials for a few weeks, but once people get their Darklight stuff and start spending tombstones on the mats, prices will probably plummet.

Fast Blade to Savage Blade combo if you're low level. Around 26 you get Rage of Halorne which is the 3rd part of your combo. Spam Flash when you get a chance. :) I pull while running in with Shield Lob.

I'm only level 28 and can pull threat off anyone my level.

THat's what i do! :(

Edit - Been using riot blade, not savage blade! derrrrrrrrrrr

I'm just starting out in FFXIV:ARR these days (I have a Legacy 1.0 character w/ mark, but was only level 1 essentially etc). My girlfriend wanted to start a Conjurer, and so to join her in Gridania I decided on Archer (hoping that it may have more versatility that will be useful in the future) for my first class. I actually have Gladiator unlocked, but since I've not been to Ul'dah yet I can assume I can't actually get its Hunting Log etc... or any quests to level up and whatnot. I'd like to eventually level up Gladiator so I can have a significant tanking class for Duty/dungeons. We're both about 13 now and have been leveling up questing in the greater Gridania / Shroud area. Perhaps some of the more advanced players can provide some advice on the following

1. Bonus points. Starting at 10, we get a couple Bonus stat points for every class. Is there a "known" way that these are meant to be spent or you'll end up with a gimped character? I really hope they add a way to reset them ASAP, especially if you can weaken yourself by not doing it right. For instance,it seems logical that I'd put most of my Archer points into DEX, yes? However, I've heard conflicting information if Gladiators should put them all into STR, or VIT, or a combination of the two? I
2. Other classes. I've now unlocked the ability to switch classes and join any class/job I like. I've heard rumors that some say you should stay on your primary job until a certain point (usually 25 or 30) before taking a secondary or tertiary battle class and leveling that up, because of some sort of bonus in leveling based on your highest class. I've also heard some conflicting reports that you should take certain classes to various levels early, so you can use multiclass abilities (ie. Conjurer to 8 for everyone, so you can cross-class Protect etc.. and there's some Pugilist or Lancer ability that Gladiators are said to benefit from etc..)?

3. Gathering and Crafting classes - Should I also wait until a certain level (25, 30 etc..) to switch to any of the gathering or crafting classes? How useful is crafting? From what I can see (awesomely) - unlike other games, both store-bought equipment and crafted equipment seems to be viable; not all second place to drops. Since crafting and gathering seem to be so much more in depth, I hope they're actually viable. Where should one start? Are there certain professions they are better to start with universally? Some say that Weaving or Blacksmithing is a good first profession because they'll allow you to make clothing with crafter-stats or battle-stats upon them and/or repair your own gear? So I guess mix one of these with Mining and... Botany? I'm interested to figure out how Gathering disciplines "work" considering that nodes are in the field, but when you're equipped with a mining pick or whatever, you can't really fight. However, if you switch gear to your battle class to fight the monsters around gather points, don't you lose all your "node tracking" abilities to see things worth gathering?

4. Finally, Quests and 'Leves. I've heard some say that aside from the starter quests in a given region for your first class, you should not take "regular" quests after the certain point (barring class advancement quests etc..) as once you do them once etc.... you're done for good. So if you do all the quests around Gridania leveling up one class to 30, then you want to start a second class from 1, it pretty much means grinding, hunting logs, and Leves? Of course, there's another "set" of level 1-30 quests in each of other 2 cities, but once you're done with that... you're going to be back to grinding. Thus, some suggest that while you're actually doing area quests and whatnot, you do NOT do Leves and instead allow them to stack up as high as possible, to use when you "need" them as you don't have any other quests to do. Any truth to this sort of thing?

Thanks. Seems we have some more advanced players, and that's good to see. I'm not sure if overall I prefer FFXIV:ARR to Guild Wars 2 and/or WoW, but its a nice diversion...

1. Each class has their own separate attribute points. When you level up a class they will all gain their separate attribute points to spend and you should always just put them into the stats for that class you are playing. Strength for Lancer, Pugilist, Dexterity for Archer,

For gladiator there's been a lot of people saying Vitality (affects your hp), some say strength, I'd say Vitality with a few in Strength and mix it up.

You can reset your attributes through an item in the grand company (which you'll get to join one around level 20), it cost 10k grand company seals (Which you can get via FATE grinding, probably take just a few hours).

So no need to worry about gimping yourself and not being able to chang eit.

2. You get an EXP bonus for classes lower then your highest class level. So if you level to 15 on one class, then start playing as another class you will get an exp bonus.

Do not wait about unlocking new classes and leveling them. Most people recommend to get your main class to level 15 before you start, as your main storyline will lead you to a quest at level 15 to travel to the other cities which in turn unlocks the ability to use airships so you can hop around other cities. Once you do that main story quest and unlock that it's a good point to switch to other classes if you want.

The main reason is that you can mix class skills together (you get more slots to do this the higher you level).

A popular class to level aside from your main class is Conjurer, to unlock their "Cure"(heal) spell at level 2, which you can use on other classes.

Also I recommend the Pugilist skill "Second wind" which you get at level 8, it's a self-heal that heals a little more then that.

Having heals for solo play can be quite important if you ever get into an "oh shit" moment and you either have your potions on cd or run out.

Just look at skills from the different classes and find ones you like/think would be useful to use with that class, you can see all the skills here and if you mouse over them it will say what classes can use that skill:
http://xivdb.com/

(Hover over the skills tab, then physical or magical to view skills by class).

3. Once you unlock the ability (lv 10) to switch classes there's no reason to wait if you want to take up gathering/crafting classes really. They are viable but don't expect to make a ton of money from them, at least at lower levels. Fishing is the only gathering class that at the moment doesn't seem that useful, as it's meant to be something you take up for "fun" and not something that makes you money or provides anything really useful (hopefully it changes).

4. You will run out of quest eventually, use them to level up your starting character as much as you like (as it's a good source of free equipment).

Currently the best way to level up is Fate grinding (Fates are random events that pop up out in the world, like Guild wars 2 "dynamic events"). These provide you with a LOT more exp then quests do at the moment so it's the easiest way to level up.

So basically just enjoy the quests on your main class, and you really should make sure to do your main storyline quest, as it has things attached to it that you NEED to do in order to get things like the ability to use airships to travel between the major cities, your chocobo, Dungeon unlocks, etc.

Do not worry about not having "Quests" for your other classes, as fate grinding will let you level them up.

Here is a good guide for the Fate grinding spots sorted by levels so you know where good spots are to go to get fates:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9230831123737608768/forum/4397/

I recommend doing them in Gridania (where you start if you are an Archer). It has a lot of good fate spots that aren't spread out a ton.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Well, I'm on the home stretch of the rebuild. Got everything hooked up, and am just about to install Windows. I'm taking a smoke break before hitting the power button...I really hope it's smooth sailing.

Hoping to be on later tonight barring any unforseen problems. Only 10 more levels till 50!

Leviathan still taking new players or is it completely closed to new accounts?

Leviathan still taking new players or is it completely closed to new accounts?

If you catch it at just the right time you can make one.

Heck even Balmung was open to new chars earlier today for a while.

Timing is everything though.

Started screwing with fate parties today... holy shit...

Also, holy shit as to how underleveled you can do fates and get lots of XP.

I avoid those tempting fate parties so I can finish the storyline. I wouldn't be so thrilled spending hours on end at 50 trying to clear those up.

Thanks very much for all the info. I'll keep this in mind. Could you tell me about when I'll be able to 1) Ride mounts. I got the Coeurl mount from the Collector's Edition, but it went to my menus and doesn't seem to be usable. Likewise, the Behemoth Barding for a Chocobo. Is this something else that is part of the main quest to unlock as well? Where can one find other mounts to buy/win etc...?

2.) Own my own Chocobo. At 10 I was able to pick up the "rented" Chocobos or the "auto path" ones, but nothing about my own as of yet, which I assume is what the Behemoth Barding from the CE is equipped upon. I hear these come from the main quest somehow. However, I hear that your chocobo actually can fight beside you and levels up of its own accord - but it takes FOREVER to do so, judging by comments. Also, said chocobo has its own talents/spec and you have to decide if you want it to basically heal, tank, or DPS? Some say these are not able to be reset either - is this the truth, or is there an item somewhere that will allow you to respec your chocobo? Finally, can you only have your chocobo fighting/leveling up while you are solo? If not, do they take "a space" in groups? For instance, if my girlfriend and I are the only 2 in the party, if we both summon our chocobos to level them up in battle, they will be treated like 3rd and 4th party members? Can they be used in Duties/'Levs/Dungeons too, or just the mainland?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

1. Each class has their own separate attribute points. When you level up a class they will all gain their separate attribute points to spend and you should always just put them into the stats for that class you are playing. Strength for Lancer, Pugilist, Dexterity for Archer,

For gladiator there's been a lot of people saying Vitality (affects your hp), some say strength, I'd say Vitality with a few in Strength and mix it up.

You can reset your attributes through an item in the grand company (which you'll get to join one around level 20), it cost 10k grand company seals (Which you can get via FATE grinding, probably take just a few hours).

So no need to worry about gimping yourself and not being able to chang eit.

2. You get an EXP bonus for classes lower then your highest class level. So if you level to 15 on one class, then start playing as another class you will get an exp bonus.

Do not wait about unlocking new classes and leveling them. Most people recommend to get your main class to level 15 before you start, as your main storyline will lead you to a quest at level 15 to travel to the other cities which in turn unlocks the ability to use airships so you can hop around other cities. Once you do that main story quest and unlock that it's a good point to switch to other classes if you want.

The main reason is that you can mix class skills together (you get more slots to do this the higher you level).

A popular class to level aside from your main class is Conjurer, to unlock their "Cure"(heal) spell at level 2, which you can use on other classes.

Also I recommend the Pugilist skill "Second wind" which you get at level 8, it's a self-heal that heals a little more then that.

Having heals for solo play can be quite important if you ever get into an "oh shit" moment and you either have your potions on cd or run out.

Just look at skills from the different classes and find ones you like/think would be useful to use with that class, you can see all the skills here and if you mouse over them it will say what classes can use that skill:
http://xivdb.com/

(Hover over the skills tab, then physical or magical to view skills by class).

3. Once you unlock the ability (lv 10) to switch classes there's no reason to wait if you want to take up gathering/crafting classes really. They are viable but don't expect to make a ton of money from them, at least at lower levels. Fishing is the only gathering class that at the moment doesn't seem that useful, as it's meant to be something you take up for "fun" and not something that makes you money or provides anything really useful (hopefully it changes).

4. You will run out of quest eventually, use them to level up your starting character as much as you like (as it's a good source of free equipment).

Currently the best way to level up is Fate grinding (Fates are random events that pop up out in the world, like Guild wars 2 "dynamic events"). These provide you with a LOT more exp then quests do at the moment so it's the easiest way to level up.

So basically just enjoy the quests on your main class, and you really should make sure to do your main storyline quest, as it has things attached to it that you NEED to do in order to get things like the ability to use airships to travel between the major cities, your chocobo, Dungeon unlocks, etc.

Do not worry about not having "Quests" for your other classes, as fate grinding will let you level them up.

Here is a good guide for the Fate grinding spots sorted by levels so you know where good spots are to go to get fates:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9230831123737608768/forum/4397/

I recommend doing them in Gridania (where you start if you are an Archer). It has a lot of good fate spots that aren't spread out a ton.

Hope this was helpful to you.

So I'm missing something. I'm trying to get afterburner OSD to show up in game but it won't. I added 3 different exe's to the list, made sure the option at the top was set to on, mashed all my hotkeys....nothing.

I got it working in Valley when trying earlier by doing the same thing I did with the FFXIV exe.

What am I missing?

I avoid those tempting fate parties so I can finish the storyline. I wouldn't be so thrilled spending hours on end at 50 trying to clear those up.

get ready, because once you hit 45+ you're going to be dependent upon them for leveling to 49 to progress through the story

Those who fate party. I am 24, where should I go to try and find a group like this? I want to get to 30 to unlock a job and kind of want to save some story stuff for when I get it unlocked.

So I'm missing something. I'm trying to get afterburner OSD to show up in game but it won't. I added 3 different exe's to the list, made sure the option at the top was set to on, mashed all my hotkeys....nothing.

I got it working in Valley when trying earlier by doing the same thing I did with the FFXIV exe.

What am I missing?

Are you in fullscreen mode?

OSD only shows in fullscreen for me, windowed or borderless windowed doesn't show.

Back