Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

While I agree with most of what you said, I hate the custom UI stuff in WoW. UI customization and AddOns have gotten so profilic that Blizzard designs the game and encounters around the expectation that people are running UI mods. Once this happens, things have gone too far. Aside from ranked LAN play at major tournaments, many Arena fights can be decided on who can manage their UI better as well.

They've added in emotes for abilities, which reduces the demand for DBM. The timers and the visual and audio warnings are what make things much easier for most people. Threat meter has been implemented. Its really down to the player.

Personally I had a mod for anything and everything I can.

I have a mod that displays and filters my inventory in a way that I like, another mod that sells crap to a vendor that has no value but of being vendored. I have another that sorts my inventory automatically in a plain and clear method. The same mod that sorts also can move the entirety of my inventory into my bank and visa versa. Lets me restock on consumable supplies like potions and flasks. I've got an addon thats a pinwheel action bar, its a copy/spinoff of what crysis does, lets me have quick access to X Y Z without having it on a bar, minimizing the vast number of macros/buttons i utilize.

I can change the display size of my HP/MP bars, combo points, rage, anything and everything. Its not for everyone but for most its amazing. The innovation brought forth from community addons, again, has made the game what it is today IMO.

FFXI didn't support windower but it allowed for remote macros and the sharing of information for coordination. Provided durations for buffs and debuffs. I'm not sure about others but I'm not willing to get a stopwatch to time everything and then some how try to manage every little thing. Not to mention the ability to minimize the game without it crashing, something that somehow is still present in FF14.

I stopped playing WoW sometime ago due to lack of content. I was hoping FF14 would be an amazing game and I can't believe they dropped the ball.

Lego Universe here I come.

any one around rank 22? whats a good grinding spot

I'm told you're SOL. Grind low level mobs for 0-100 skill points per fight.

That or find a conjurer willing to sacrifice his skill points per fight in order to level you.

FF14 is fun, but god do i hate the clunky UI. Its obviously designed for use with a controller, and they probably didnt make it easy for mouse/Kb users on purpose to make the playing field even.

That being said, i enjoy how hard this game in relation to your WoW/LOTR etc games. Boat rides throw me back to EQ days even.

This game really can't hold my attention at all.

I've had the game open for a couple days now, and I usually end up minimizing and forgetting about it to play Minecraft ><

For the guys who keep saying this game is fun, what's fun about it? I started in Gridania and keep farming marmots. STar marmots, then Thristletail marmots then something else marmots...etc.

Really, it seems like the Final Marmot-type Fantasy. Someday, I will be killing...the final type of marmots!

Worst part is when you start leveling your third job, your killing star marmots for the third time ><

For the guys who keep saying this game is fun, what's fun about it? I started in Gridania and keep farming marmots. STar marmots, then Thristletail marmots then something else marmots...etc.

Really, it seems like the Final Marmot-type Fantasy. Someday, I will be killing...the final type of marmots!

Worst part is when you start leveling your third job, your killing star marmots for the third time ><

If I was being cruel, I might suggest one had to have a certain level of aspergers to be able to enjoy a game like this. Nothing wrong with that of course, autistics deserve games designed for them too.

I find it fun to switch jobs frequently. I started mining, then I did a bit of blacksmithing, then did some battle quests to level conjurer and lancer, and whnever i see a mining spot, I switch to my pickaxe and then switch back. So basically I carry the equipment of all 4 classes, so that i can switch between them as I need to. I'm having a hard time making friends though. I bow or wave to Japanese players and they run away; nobody wants to start a conversation.

I'm having a hard time making friends though. I bow or wave to Japanese players and they run away; nobody wants to start a conversation.

Find a linkshell. Your server forums on FFXIVCore are a good place to look for solid linkshells, for starters. It seems the friendly community of FFXI have moved on over to FFXIV, and I'm very happy to see that. My linkshell isn't very big, and it's one I just accepted randomly, with lots of friendly people who help eachother out and do leves together -- something most linkshells offer.

I keep getting stuck at around level 10 on my melee classes, just started a gathering class it's level 6 but I can't figure out what I am supposed to be doing at around 10, I did all my leves, the starting quest and level 10 quest but nothing appears to be left for me. No linkshell here since no one I know plays.

Edit* Any advice from you guys who are a bit further on what I should be doing from 10 and above on my melee classes, is it just grinding at this point? Mind you, I don't mind grinding I love Korean grind MMO's but I feel very underpowered killing monsters near my level, if I fight one the same level it has a good chance of killing me. Even blue's I get one or two before having to regen my health back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to MMO leveling. Its been this way for over a decade in terms of leveling.

Join a party. You gain exp faster and there is less down time.

As for leves, they reset every 36 hours so you'll be able to get 16 more (8 regional, 8 local) after the reset.

Neat picture I took while fishing:

ffxivgame20101003211820.jpg

I just changed my mind. Dont like the game anymore. I was playign this weekend, having fun, ran out of basically any levequests, and realized i was basically going to be grinding for the next 36 hours with no other options. Sure i could change to another class and try to level it up, but 3 already had me bored. The bad thing about the grinding in FFXIV is that its 5x as bad as grinding in any other game. Mostly because MOBs are far more scarce than say in EQ2/WoW/LOTR, so it makes it 5x as boring.

Probably wont renew or get back on much at this point.

I guess I dont understand how an MMO is bad when you attempt to solo your way to the top. Your option I suppose.

I am so busy with everything I'm doing, my GF has to remind me that we can go get new Guildleves. I did get lucky and find a Linkshell on Wutai that has people who STILL play FFXI. The LS leader has never even PLAYED WoW. Talk about nice. These guys know the mechanics, know what to expect, and we put together grind groups and Leve groups and we get stuff done.

I'm absolutely addicted to the crafting aspect. I took 4 of the classes and my GF took the other 4, so that all materials we collect are put to use. The rest of the LS is combat oriented, but they play the Tank/DPS roles. I decided to run Thaurmaturge/Conjurer, so I'm automatically included in all XP groups :). They bring me TONS of stuff they get from drops. They pay me in shards for the gear I make them, and we spend hours slaying mobs in groups of 3 or 4. We plan on checking out some of the dungeons this week now that we have our group synergy down, and everyone has upgraded gear due to our crafting diligence.

Guildleve's are something we do in our downtime when no one in the LS is on, or they're busy doing other things. Otherwise I spend most of my time at the Tier 1 camp for the crafting buff selling off my goods as I make them! Nothing like being swarmed when a copper ring +1 comes out, or a brass ring is crafted and they wait to see if it Bazaars :) Those silly combat only people make me chuckle.

[V]ad[H]atte(r);1036254227 said:
I keep getting stuck at around level 10 on my melee classes, just started a gathering class it's level 6 but I can't figure out what I am supposed to be doing at around 10, I did all my leves, the starting quest and level 10 quest but nothing appears to be left for me. No linkshell here since no one I know plays.

Edit* Any advice from you guys who are a bit further on what I should be doing from 10 and above on my melee classes, is it just grinding at this point? Mind you, I don't mind grinding I love Korean grind MMO's but I feel very underpowered killing monsters near my level, if I fight one the same level it has a good chance of killing me. Even blue's I get one or two before having to regen my health back up.

Dont you get the lvl 10 Guildleve's? Camp Bloodshore, or Camp DryBone for example? This is how you get to the next zone. (not sure what the Grindania T2 camp is). I've been offered Lvl 20 Battlecraft Guildleve's for a while now. I'm just waiting for the LS tank to get up a couple more levels before we head that way.

If you are wearing "Wethered" gear at lvl 10 - then I expect that you'll get owned. In addition, your gear wears out. My GF was getting destroyed at lvl 12 Pugilist fighting the easiest creatures...come to find out...her Hora were at 1 of 6500 durability...DOH! Fortunately, I can repair those, and did so for her...KAPOW...she was back to mowing. Found out most of her armor was jacked too. Repaired that...BAM...now she can take a hit! We took a day or 2 to stop and level our crafts...now she has upgraded armor, Bone Hora, and is solo killing Aldgoat Nannys..at Pugilist..13..14, I think? As for me, I upgraded my wand and scepter, replaced all the newbie clothes with lvl 5 and 6 cloth armor. Made my own rings, choker, earrings, bracelets. Now I can go farm lvl 10-12 mobs on my own for materials.

Just make sure you go out fully repaired...even if you have to pay the repair NPC to get back to 75% (players repair to 100)

If you get the chance to get cheap +1 items..do so...they dont wear out as fast.

Lastly..if you're on Wutai - find me! We'll suit you up cheap :)

Dont you get the lvl 10 Guildleve's? Camp Bloodshore, or Camp DryBone for example? This is how you get to the next zone. (not sure what the Grindania T2 camp is). I've been offered Lvl 20 Battlecraft Guildleve's for a while now. I'm just waiting for the LS tank to get up a couple more levels before we head that way.

If you are wearing "Wethered" gear at lvl 10 - then I expect that you'll get owned. In addition, your gear wears out. My GF was getting destroyed at lvl 12 Pugilist fighting the easiest creatures...come to find out...her Hora were at 1 of 6500 durability...DOH! Fortunately, I can repair those, and did so for her...KAPOW...she was back to mowing. Found out most of her armor was jacked too. Repaired that...BAM...now she can take a hit! We took a day or 2 to stop and level our crafts...now she has upgraded armor, Bone Hora, and is solo killing Aldgoat Nannys..at Pugilist..13..14, I think? As for me, I upgraded my wand and scepter, replaced all the newbie clothes with lvl 5 and 6 cloth armor. Made my own rings, choker, earrings, bracelets. Now I can go farm lvl 10-12 mobs on my own for materials.

Just make sure you go out fully repaired...even if you have to pay the repair NPC to get back to 75% (players repair to 100)

If you get the chance to get cheap +1 items..do so...they dont wear out as fast.

Lastly..if you're on Wutai - find me! We'll suit you up cheap :)

Yah I've been keeping repaired to 75%, but I do only have the starter gear. As for the next set of leves I tried them and was only able to complete one lol. The other two kicked my ass. I'm not on Wutai, but if you're interested in someone else to play with I can make a character there. Though I didn't play FFXI, I come from other MMO's mainly Linaeage 2 and Aion. Is your LS interested in recruiting people or are you guys pretty set? Let me know if you guys want someone else to hang out with and which city you started in if you do, thanks for the advice :)

Im keeping busy leveling my armorer. Im currenty 18 armorer and 15 marauder. When im not doing leve's im crafting.

Not to toot my own horn, but I was promoted to an "Officer" (for lack of better term) day one, since the head guy realized my GF and I meant business day one. That being said, I can get you into the LS easy.

We're small..maybe 10 total...with 4 to 5 online at once? Its a pretty even split divide between combat/crafting. So, if your into small and focused, I'm sure we'd have a good time. If you're looking for large and in charge...I'm not sure that's the direction we're going.

I can tell you this...give me an evening to farm some materials, while you level your lvl 1 job - pay me in earth or wind shards, and you'll be suited in some nice stuff in no time :)

To show you the kind of players we are - I gave away approximatley 30,000 gil of accessories for 5k...and I got a 2k tip for the conversation while crafting it :) My GF gave away a Hoplon +1 to our LS leader, just cause he didnt have a shield!

If you arent having fun in this game...you're doing it wrong! :p

Hey Hammer, you said you were on Wutai?
I'm gonna recreate my secondary character on a new server since Lindblum is constantly beyond a fever pitch and I haven't really found my place within the populace.

Hey Hammer, you said you were on Wutai?
I'm gonna recreate my secondary character on a new server since Lindblum is constantly beyond a fever pitch and I haven't really found my place within the populace.

Correct! PM me and I'll give you the LS details.

I dont want to derail this thread from the awesomeness that is FFXIV! :D

Not to toot my own horn, but I was promoted to an "Officer" (for lack of better term) day one, since the head guy realized my GF and I meant business day one. That being said, I can get you into the LS easy.

We're small..maybe 10 total...with 4 to 5 online at once? Its a pretty even split divide between combat/crafting. So, if your into small and focused, I'm sure we'd have a good time. If you're looking for large and in charge...I'm not sure that's the direction we're going.

I can tell you this...give me an evening to farm some materials, while you level your lvl 1 job - pay me in earth or wind shards, and you'll be suited in some nice stuff in no time :)

To show you the kind of players we are - I gave away approximatley 30,000 gil of accessories for 5k...and I got a 2k tip for the conversation while crafting it :) My GF gave away a Hoplon +1 to our LS leader, just cause he didnt have a shield!

If you arent having fun in this game...you're doing it wrong! :p

I almost do the same. I give away gear to all my ls members for free. All i ask in return are shards and mats when needed.

I almost do the same. I give away gear to all my ls members for free. All i ask in return are shards and mats when needed.

You and I are on the same page sir.

This early in the game, trying to make a profit seems silly. Its all about the skillups! If I can skill up by making gear, and giving it to my Linkmates - this only means our parties are that much more solid, and we can XP and gather even better materials.

I get people looking me up all the time, outside my LS, to make them gear. I just ask they bring the stuff to do it, and its a free skill up for me. Most of the time I supply the basic stuff just to get it out of my inventory.

Even though I have "fought" the least out of my combat centric LS members - I currently hold the highest Physical level. Crafting is SO much better physical XP than killing :) Yay for high stats! :)

This early in the game, trying to make a profit seems silly. Its all about the skillups! If I can skill up by making gear, and giving it to my Linkmates - this only means our parties are that much more solid, and we can XP and gather even better materials.

I get people looking me up all the time, outside my LS, to make them gear. I just ask they bring the stuff to do it, and its a free skill up for me. Most of the time I supply the basic stuff just to get it out of my inventory.

Even though I have "fought" the least out of my combat centric LS members - I currently hold the highest Physical level. Crafting is SO much better physical XP than killing :) Yay for high stats! :)

I've enjoyed the large amounts of physical XP from crafting. And I also don't mind crafting for free if they provide the mats. What bugs me to no end is when people expect you to provide the mats. That's incredibly bad form and rude.

I remember people in FFXI wanting me to give them free Haub NQs. As if loosing 500K when making a NQ wasn't bad enough, they wanted me to give them the 500K Haub instead of selling on the AH. Oh, and "you're a crafter so you must be rich so give me free stuff" got old too.

Oh, and "you're a crafter so you must be rich so give me free stuff" got old too.

Sounds like you've run into some inconsiderate people, while I'm grateful for the help Hammer and his LS have provided I would never expect it from them. I try to farm the mats they need to keep crafting too, which is what friends should be doing. By the way, this game is MUCH more entertaining with people to play with. I'm now on Wutai if anyone wants to stop by and hang out or level just hit me with a /tell to Drdavid Banner

Edit* Having Hammer as the healer/crafter with the highest physical level is funny :D

[V]ad[H]atte(r);1036260223 said:
Sounds like you've run into some inconsiderate people, while I'm grateful for the help Hammer and his LS have provided I would never expect it from them. I try to farm the mats they need to keep crafting too, which is what friends should be doing. By the way, this game is MUCH more entertaining with people to play with. I'm now on Wutai if anyone wants to stop by and hang out or level just hit me with a /tell to Drdavid Banner

Edit* Having Hammer as the healer/crafter with the highest physical level is funny :D

I've run into a wide range of people over the MMOs I've played. Including a very communistic guild in aion that actually worked, however it only had about 10 active members. I've met some very nice, and some very irriating people.

I do have to agree, if you're going to play an MMO, find your self a linkshell/guild. Otherwise, why bother playing one? They're about enjoying the game with friends, not solo play.

What we do is basicly ask those members in the ls that are not crafters to donate mats. This seems to work out great.

I got a couple of frowns from people yesterday (before we got to XP grouping) that brought me some +3 materials in hopes for an HQ result...an LS mate I actually BOTCHED the synth cause I thought I could squeek out one more "Touch Up" and it popped. Whoops! Another person I attempted to make the SAME item for was less than impressed when I could only get a regular success, even tho I had a quality rating of 260. While I was bummed it didnt work, they did get upgraded weapons. I even provided the sub materials just cause I had em in my inventory to help the quality...is what it is I suppose.

Otherwise, we definatly had a good time scouting new XP spots, and then just getting back to what we do well...killing goats and crabs. I just need a better way to heal. Having both Thaurmaturge and Conjurer levelled is nice, as I now can cast alternating heals with no timer countdown. (Cast one while the other's timer is running down). Its that god forsaken targetting recticle. Poor Mad Hatter came in while Ladybug killing...gets hit with an AOE...I slam the cure button, and as I'm moving the recticle over to him to heal him...some ASSHAT (not like its his fault) running 100 yards IN THE BACKGROUND, ends up getting between the tank and Madhatter, causing me to think that 2 clicks to the left and executing the heal is good...unfortunatley click 2 went to the 100 yard ASSHAT, and the heal cast only to tell me "Target is too far away". (Party ONLY targetting options please?!) GRR! By the time I got the OTHER heal off, cause the timer actually triggered on a failed cast...kersplat...the Hulk went down in a fury of poisonous gasses...

I do not envy ANYone being forced to heal a group...I'm thinking I may have to go back to my FFXI macro days and just make a CTRL hotbar with Heals/Cures with the party member included in the macro...

Game is still awesome tho! :D

Ok, I just picked up this game yesterday and, even though I played the beta and enjoyed myself, I wasn't really sure I made a decent purchase.

However, I had a really good time tonight punching the crap out of guildleve targets. Tomorrow I expect to pick up a few of the smithing quests and give that a shot. So far, I don't like the lack of refinement in some of the basic functions of the game, but I love that it's not the same MMO as every other with a different skin. Here's hoping to for some good solid patches.

So far, I don't like the lack of refinement in some of the basic functions of the game, but I love that it's not the same MMO as every other with a different skin. Here's hoping to for some good solid patches.
I think that's a wonderful description of the game.

Personally, I think "refinement" wont be something you'll see till late next year. Depending on your definition of "Playable" - I think too many have gotten spoiled on the idea that software should be perfect and unchanging at the time it hits the shelves in an environment that is ever-changing.

In my mind, an MMO is "Playable" the second you can log into it and interact with the environment. This could be well into pre-alpha. Its just not available to anyone outside the local network that its being designed in. We as the public are more prone to seeing Beta versions where a lot of "refinements" have been done to give a better first impression of where the game is going.

Could SE have decided to hold off and do MORE with the game before releasing? Of course. But where do you finally draw the line as to when a game is "Playable" for the public, or needs more "Refining" before releasing?

If SE stopped ALL patches today - I'd still play. This is a very playable game with lots to do and plenty to keep me busy with zero interest in returning to any of my previous MMO's. Hell...I'm a little bent that Civilization 5 released so close to FFXIV. Its going to be years before I have time to play Civ 5 with all the time I'm spending in FFXIV.

Ultimately I think that without the understanding of how a business works regarding capital, expenditures, and revenue, SE could very well have dropped FFXIV if they felt too much time was spent "refining" the game vs releasing what is fully "playable" to the point its worth a monthly subscription fee, due to the fact they wouldnt be able to turn a profit in the needed timeline to maintain systems, services, and staff to keep the game running.

Those who insist on searching for the negative in a game, will only find negative. I, on the other hand, while expressing even my own challenges in the game, choose to see the positive that FFXIV has brought to us in the form of new entertainment challenges, and instead of demanding "Fixes" to things that really arent broken per-se, I'm anxious to see what new options and features updates have in the coming months.

I got a couple of frowns from people yesterday (before we got to XP grouping) that brought me some +3 materials in hopes for an HQ result...an LS mate I actually BOTCHED the synth cause I thought I could squeek out one more "Touch Up" and it popped. Whoops! Another person I attempted to make the SAME item for was less than impressed when I could only get a regular success, even tho I had a quality rating of 260. While I was bummed it didnt work, they did get upgraded weapons. I even provided the sub materials just cause I had em in my inventory to help the quality...is what it is I suppose.

Otherwise, we definatly had a good time scouting new XP spots, and then just getting back to what we do well...killing goats and crabs. I just need a better way to heal. Having both Thaurmaturge and Conjurer levelled is nice, as I now can cast alternating heals with no timer countdown. (Cast one while the other's timer is running down). Its that god forsaken targetting recticle. Poor Mad Hatter came in while Ladybug killing...gets hit with an AOE...I slam the cure button, and as I'm moving the recticle over to him to heal him...some ASSHAT (not like its his fault) running 100 yards IN THE BACKGROUND, ends up getting between the tank and Madhatter, causing me to think that 2 clicks to the left and executing the heal is good...unfortunatley click 2 went to the 100 yard ASSHAT, and the heal cast only to tell me "Target is too far away". (Party ONLY targetting options please?!) GRR! By the time I got the OTHER heal off, cause the timer actually triggered on a failed cast...kersplat...the Hulk went down in a fury of poisonous gasses...

I do not envy ANYone being forced to heal a group...I'm thinking I may have to go back to my FFXI macro days and just make a CTRL hotbar with Heals/Cures with the party member included in the macro...

Game is still awesome tho! :D

I tell people when I craft if I make a +1 item its mine. If people are getting free armor they shouldn't be so picky. Now if i already have a +1 item and make another they can have it.

I tell people when I craft if I make a +1 item its mine. If people are getting free armor they shouldn't be so picky. Now if i already have a +1 item and make another they can have it.

HAHA! With some of my more recent customers, I'd probably get a GM called on me for "scamming"

That is hilarious tho!

If you say you bring me mats and I craft, and do not mention that you will keep any +1, and you do. You will get a GM call.

So Make sure you mention that upfront.

HAHA! With some of my more recent customers, I'd probably get a GM called on me for "scamming"

That is hilarious tho!

In FFXI when people wanted high end crafts like haubs or the occasional Onyx gear crafted we discussed terms upfront. They always had two options, either I kept the +1 and would give them a NQ, they risked the break or they would pay me 10-15% of the profit of a +1 as a fee for the synth regardless of the outcome.

Hey HammerAZ, I didn't mean to trigger all of your defensive systems there buddy. I really like the game as it is. It's just things like the short available length of /tells or a lack of searchable trade (I hear that's coming) that bugs me.

I played FFXI for years and even played WoW for a while. Both of those games went through constant changes and I expect no different from this one.

The game is beastly though and I HAVE THE MANLIEST CHARACTER IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES!

Just wanted to throw out there that using a controller makes all the difference.

I found the UI kindof annoying, but picked up a cheapo Logitech F310 and it became way easier to flip though. Definitely being built around the PS3.

If you say you bring me mats and I craft, and do not mention that you will keep any +1, and you do. You will get a GM call.

So Make sure you mention that upfront.

Thats the thing. I supply the mats. I could always say well that craft you saw was for me. I'll be doing your craft next.

Personally, I think "refinement" wont be something you'll see till late next year. Depending on your definition of "Playable" - I think too many have gotten spoiled on the idea that software should be perfect and unchanging at the time it hits the shelves in an environment that is ever-changing.

In my mind, an MMO is "Playable" the second you can log into it and interact with the environment. This could be well into pre-alpha. Its just not available to anyone outside the local network that its being designed in. We as the public are more prone to seeing Beta versions where a lot of "refinements" have been done to give a better first impression of where the game is going.

Could SE have decided to hold off and do MORE with the game before releasing? Of course. But where do you finally draw the line as to when a game is "Playable" for the public, or needs more "Refining" before releasing?

If SE stopped ALL patches today - I'd still play. This is a very playable game with lots to do and plenty to keep me busy with zero interest in returning to any of my previous MMO's. Hell...I'm a little bent that Civilization 5 released so close to FFXIV. Its going to be years before I have time to play Civ 5 with all the time I'm spending in FFXIV.

Ultimately I think that without the understanding of how a business works regarding capital, expenditures, and revenue, SE could very well have dropped FFXIV if they felt too much time was spent "refining" the game vs releasing what is fully "playable" to the point its worth a monthly subscription fee, due to the fact they wouldnt be able to turn a profit in the needed timeline to maintain systems, services, and staff to keep the game running.

Those who insist on searching for the negative in a game, will only find negative. I, on the other hand, while expressing even my own challenges in the game, choose to see the positive that FFXIV has brought to us in the form of new entertainment challenges, and instead of demanding "Fixes" to things that really arent broken per-se, I'm anxious to see what new options and features updates have in the coming months.

+1...I' am really enjoying the game and so much to do! I chose 3 crafting professions and between my crafting time, doing leve's, mining, leveling my main Job and getting crystal/shards it's insane how much there really is to do. One of my favorite touches in this game that no MMO so far has acheived is the character animations they are silky smooth and attention to detail is fantastic as you upgrade weapons/armor.

I' am on Figaro looking for a Linkshell btw :) currently physical level 25 with Lancer 16 and my crafting is Goldsmith 15, Blacksmith 11 and Carpenter 12.

Back