Final Fantasy XIII on steam

Surprised at the minimum requirements for this game. Gonna look great on higher end PCs.

Meh, I might start playing them again if they ever steer away from the western asian hybrids with that goofy looking hair. Although I didn't mind FF14.

Meh, I might start playing them again if they ever steer away from the western asian hybrids with that goofy looking hair. Although I didn't mind FF14.

Trying to think of a Final Fantasy game where this wasn't the case. They all seem to look like that to my recollection hehe.

Personally I like it, I think it's unique and nice to see something different, as many other JRPG uses anime style, games like Tales of series, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, to name a few.

As for western medieval style, we have plenty of that too in western RPG games.

If you're counting the redesigns of FF1-3, then the only ones that haven't done that are 5 and 6. The other games before it have tons of bishounen.

If you're counting the redesigns of FF1-3, then the only ones that haven't done that are 5 and 6. The other games before it have tons of bishounen.

They have all had a lot of Bishounen. Go look at the concept sketches for all the characters. They were all intended to be very pretty men and woman. Of course the systems couldn't actually display that at the time. The redesigns are much closer to Amano's original look for the characters. By the way, 5 and 6 got redesigned as well and the remakes use Amano's character designs for the portraits.

On one hand, I'm very pleased to see titles that used to be thought of as console only (especially Japanese ones) make it to PC. FFXIII has never been a favorite of mine in the series, but I'm glad to see it arrive on Steam. Unfortunately on the other hand, FFXIII (and FFIV, which IS a a favorite of mine and is also on Steam. ) seem to lack Japanese audio as an option. Despite the fact that both titles have a JP audio track available, it seems the Western release forces the English dub. I've always been a proponent of original language media in all its forms with subtitles available for comprehension, yet for some reason gaming, especially Japanese games, still meets with resistance on both sides of the pond.

While I'd like to purchase these titles simply to support Steam releases (and open platforms instead of consoles in general), I don't feel right about purchasing without the simple option for JP audio available

Lightning Returns had a free DLC for a Japanese language pack for early adopters but now it's 3 or 4 bucks. Honestly I don't care so much anymore, the lip sync'ing is superb, whereas in Anime's and older games dubs tended to look quite off.

I just wish there was less of that Anime style over-acting and spoken out loud inner monologues along with the stupidly overly complicated storylines. I'm enjoying finishing the FF13 saga (finished 2/5 main Lightning Return missions) but some of the over the top "anime"-izations get to me.

I will re buy this for pc never actually finished it on ps3. And i will get -2 and -3 if they follow. Ill play it with Japanese voices this time.

They have all had a lot of Bishounen. Go look at the concept sketches for all the characters. They were all intended to be very pretty men and woman. Of course the systems couldn't actually display that at the time. The redesigns are much closer to Amano's original look for the characters. By the way, 5 and 6 got redesigned as well and the remakes use Amano's character designs for the portraits.

I was referring specifically to white-haired bishounen, but I forgot entirely about the concept art and other genres of that art style. Thinking back to it though, I really dislike the concept art for Bartz; the white hair doesn't really fit to me. I like Amano's artwork, but it always seemed odd how his style was completely lost in the transition to game art even during the 16-bit era where it was possible to transfer over.

I was referring specifically to white-haired bishounen, but I forgot entirely about the concept art and other genres of that art style. Thinking back to it though, I really dislike the concept art for Bartz; the white hair doesn't really fit to me. I like Amano's artwork, but it always seemed odd how his style was completely lost in the transition to game art even during the 16-bit era where it was possible to transfer over.

Yeah I really don't like that look for Bartz either, it just doesn't seem to fit him very well. I think part of it is simply that his incredibly stylized art work just didn't translate all that well to a video game. Zidane and Kuja are the closest the series has got to reproducing it fully. Nomura's character designs, on the other hand, seem much easier to translate even if his style is getting rather annoying these days.

I'm one of the few people who are genuinely excited about this. I only played about 1 hour on the Xbox and never had the chance to continue.

Lets see if it's as bad as they all say.

I played it on ps3 for about 15 hours or so. then another game came out and i got sidetracked. never went back to finish

I'm one of the few people who are genuinely excited about this. I only played about 1 hour on the Xbox and never had the chance to continue.

Lets see if it's as bad as they all say.

As with most things on the internet some of it's issues are overblown, but the plot is utter nonsense and pretty bad. Lightening is dull. Hope is really annoying early on (thankfully he gets better) and Vanille's voice can get grating early on (you get used to it and it does get better). The game has a few good character moments and it has some interesting elements (that never pay off, but whatever). I don't hate the game and have no issues replaying it, but yeah the game has serious issues. It's very pretty though and I really love the battle system.

Mmmmm, I kinda figure that the metacritic averages must say something about it. I mean, when you have 6 entries in a row (FF6-FF12, skipping FF11) that get 90+ on metacritic and then it drops to 83 or whatever it is, there must be a problem.
As for the story being nonsense. Well the FF8 story was largely nonsense. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. A nonsense story can be saved by being well-executed I think.

Mmmmm, I kinda figure that the metacritic averages must say something about it. I mean, when you have 6 entries in a row (FF6-FF12, skipping FF11) that get 90+ on metacritic and then it drops to 83 or whatever it is, there must be a problem.
As for the story being nonsense. Well the FF8 story was largely nonsense. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. A nonsense story can be saved by being well-executed I think.

Well executed it is not. The writing is pretty bad in places and most elements make no sense. FF8 at least had the pretty cool Laguna segments to fall back on and some interesting (if poorly revealed) mysteries. The flashback stuff in FF13 are about the best parts of the plot.

Vanilles accent gives me total nerd boner. Bad.

Once the VA figured out what she actually wanted to do with the voice and accent I didn't mind it. The writing for Vanille did not help though. Can't blame the VA for seeming a bit unsure what to go for early on.

Just hope it launches bug free and with working SLI. I'll dive right in.

Holy cow wasn't expecting this game to be nearly 50GB. Good thing I have decent connection.

System requirements says that fullscreen mode only supports 1280x720 and that 60fps is the maximum supported frame rate. I see they haven't learned from their mistakes with Final Fantasy XI (which had a 30fps cap).

System requirements says that fullscreen mode only supports 1280x720 and that 60fps is the maximum supported frame rate. I see they haven't learned from their mistakes with Final Fantasy XI (which had a 30fps cap).

*Full screen display mode will only run on an environment that supports a screen resolution of 1280 x 720.

i think this means your monitor needs to be higher than 720p monitor to enable full screen mode?
and what's wrong with 60 fps? this is RPG not a shooter

k uh apparently game is locked @ 720p/60fps for both full screen/window mode
there's no graphic setting menu period

lf modding

Hmm was hoping that it would be assets redone for higher resolutions. Not a surprise though.

Very happy to report that amazingly, Square Enix listened to the playerbase when it comes to FFXIII on Steam! Originally, they were only including English vocals on Western releases, but thanks to a long campaign on the Steam forums (a helpful sticky of over 1000 posts), they have enabled Japanese audio as an option as well! I've also heard of some framerate and other technical upgrades requested that have been fulfilled.

Well, they did their part so I'm doing mine - I purchased during the pre-order to reward them for bringing the option of JP audio, as well as the idea of the PC release. I hope this will mean future Japanese games on PC, complete with original audio options included!

Now, all they need to do is give the same treatment to Final Fantasy IV on Steam. IF anyone has a moment to go onto the Steam (or Square Enix forums) for Final Fantasy IV and request JP audio to be accessible for Western players, alongside English (and other language) subtitles, it would be most helpful

Dumb Question? Why is the Japanese audio a big deal?

Unless of course you can speak Japanese, what am I not understanding?

For me it often hides the fact that the actors are very very horrible. I don't mind cutesy Japanese voices but often haaaaate english ones. It also helps with immersion, and getting a more authentic translation.

I dont normally complain to much but I'm disappointed that there isn't an option for different resolutions. Its pretty much 720p windowed for fullscreen. I could tolerate the lack of graphics options but not to be able to change to atleast 1080p is crap.

Who here has hit ESC and closed the game out? It took 2 times to figure out that ESC means end the game completely. First time I was like... WTF just happened? Why am I looking at my Steam client? Second time I was like, " Oh no they didn't!" Guess I'll fire it up again and see if there is an option to use the mouse in the menus. I'm betting that there isn't.

hehehe, I always thought it'd be fun as a programming to bind esc to a hard shutdown... can't believe it's really in the game!

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE 1080P OPTION? PLEASE TELL ME I CAN CHANGE THE RESOLUTION ONCE I GET ACCESS TO THE REAL MENU.

Oh my god, so there are literally no graphical options at all based on what I'm reading at the Steam forums.

Fucking dumbass Japanese developers.

Why are you complaining about that when we don't even have mouse support for the menus?* Since it doesn't exist and not likely to grow on a tree, the game does look quite nice after you practice not hitting ESC which shuts down the entire game. I think that is the best new feature that has come out of Japan in the past 40 years of modern gaming.

The game play is fun, but I didn't see the Japanese voice pack while navigating the menus with the up and down arrows. You can't be preoccupied with reading when you're using all of your willpower to remember to not hit ESC to back up a level of menus. Not because it is a bad thing, but because you don't want to scream bloody murder at your monitor. Might scare the neighborhood children like before.

*Sorry my sarcasm is at an all time high. Ha ha ha!!! No fucking graphics options either. Looks like we need some Neo Geo tool to fix it. Fuckity, fuck, fuck, this shit sucks!
*Holds breath* *Breathe slow* *Calms down*

1. Why are people trying to play console ports with a mouse and keyboard?
2. How the fuck are people accidentally hitting Esc?
3. Why is Square Enix retarded?

Back