Final Fantasy XIII-2 w/ $20 Credit from Amazon

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Never played the FF XIII...didn't hear particularly good things. Is this basically the same game with some updates or something?

It's the direct sequel to FF XIII in terms of storyline. In terms of gameplay... since I haven't actually, looked it up, I can't tell you. But I will tell you that the Final Fantasy games generally all differ in terms of gameplay, even the ones that are sequels.

i've played all of them except for 14 since thats another mmo and i heard it was particularly bad.

ff13's gameplay was pretty decent; it was just the no levels and linear story that kind of made it meh. i still enjoyed playing through it though.

i've been reading reviews on ff13-2 and they seemed have fixed that many of the issues with ff13. if its true, then that means ff13-2 is actually worth the money, at least in my opinion - and at $40, its a good idea to get. square enix games usually arn't shit, and most definitely the FF series will give you some good entertainment time with some hotties.

I never really "got into" Final Fantasy. I think I played a little bit of FF7 and watched a friend play most of FF10-2.

The only thing that really caught my eye about FF13 was the amazing graphics and that the combat was supposedly real-time (?)

I played FF13 when it came out. Definitely didn't live up to the hype, but it was a good game nonetheless. Don't understand ppl complaining about linearity when it was the producer's intentions to make it that way. It's like complaining about no vehicles in Crysis 2 MP when Crytek wanted to focus the gameplay around the suit...

Square Enix started doing real-time combat starting with FFX-2. In FFXII, you were able to control character movement even during battle, and running into enemies didn't obligate you into a fight. You could also prepare actions beforehand. FFXII did have a gambit system which made fighting easier though, you can set automatic actions to take. In FFXIII, you control pretty much only one character. The other characters do their own thing, based on the role you give them.

Its probably a lot like 13 still. The artistry, music, and the atmosphere of the game are always of high quality as usual mainline FF games go. But I dunno, I bought the last game at 50 bucks new and I kinda felt the game was short on quantity. The reviews say it takes about 25 hours to beat the game, compared to the older games which can take around 40 hours.

I wasn't planning to buy XIII-2 at 60 bucks, but at 40 I'm really considering it. Its funny, I already have at least 600 bucks worth of Amazon giftcards/credit/cashback bonus through all these deals. Planning to burn it all when Ivy Bridge comes out.

I ended up getting it from best buy because of the mini novel preorder bonus. I only played the game a little but I like it so far looks pretty good and no stupid paradign shift animations that annoyed me from 13. Would have been nice if they had Nobuo do the soundtrack because the pop songs are not as good as his soundtracks.

Last FF game I played was on the PS2, 12 I think? And the graphics/art style just didn't hold me at all.. Of course it could be that I'm older and don't have the attention span to dedicate sunrise to sunset game play sessions too :)

I've long decided the cost of playing one of my all time favorite series is too much, you play 2 maybe 3 games per system, sorry the PS3 is too pricey for that.

This is similar to XIII in may ways except for one key thing: it's much more non-linear. You can do quests in just about any order, and there are multiple paths through areas. It's no Skyrim, but it's definitely not the linear game that XIII was.

added a review link for those who wanted to check it out before purchasing.

Put both games together and you have the perfect version of XIII. The first has a a more driven focused flowing story, but lacks discovery and exploration, while the second has discovery and exploration but lacks story focus.

woah you got your GC already? yeah talk to an amazon rep, it says 20 on the page clear as day.

Did you email Amazon CS? It says $20 right on the page.

woah you got your GC already? yeah talk to an amazon rep, it says 20 on the page clear as day.

I pre-ordered and only got $10 credit. Well thats pretty lame. -_-

As he posted he pre-ordered. Their pre-order deal was a $10 promotional credit + some extra battle. Not to say they won't be nice and bump the credit up to the $20 since Amazon CS is usually pretty accommodating, but it wasn't a mistake on their end.

I never played XIII but this is tempting me to pick up XIII-2 anyway. I do enough shopping on Amazon that the $20 credit really is like $20 off and not just going to lead me to buy something else I really don't need.... of course I have such a backlog in my game queue as it is that it might just make more sense to wait for a $20 greatest hits release. Decisions, decisions. Either way, thanks for the post OP.

Ahh, that makes sense. I agree that Amazon would be helpful with the bump from $10 to $20, doesn't hurt to ask! On that note, just got my GC today and game is getting shipped in today as well..

Your welcome!

Back