Final Fantasy XII - "Incredible"

Yeah, I'm about 12 hours in, just finished the Dreadnought Leviathan part...

One thing about this game...newb RPG players are soooooo boned. Assuming that they won't take time to level up (the game does not even suggest this stuff ;) ), they'll get owned pretty fast.

Though I guess in pretty much every RPG I play, I like level grinding a bit at the beginning...makes the rest easy and more enjoyable. Cases in point, Xenogears: Level'ing just because of Deathblows. Those took FOREVER to learn. FF8 was different, in that it was fixed every 1000exp was a level, and characters didn't join your party based on your current level (I was a whore and leveled Squall up to Lvl. 16 in the first two hours of the game. Now he's 12 levels higher than everyone else :( ).

Anyways...back on topic! Quickenings...I wish the game had popped up a tutorial or something after I found the first one on the License board. Had to hit up Google to figure out how to use the slots system. :(

One thing about this game...newb RPG players are soooooo boned. Assuming that they won't take time to level up (the game does not even suggest this stuff ), they'll get owned pretty fast.

I just took a cue from the 'guest' party members. I just figured I need to be whatever level they were at and leveled until I was at the same as the 'guest'. So far it was worked out great.

I totally agree on the quickenings. I had to read on google to figure out I could even chain them.

I don't wanna level up too much... I'm kind of just going with the flow of the game. I ruined X-2 (though this abortion of a game was ruined to begin with) by spending hours upon hours just leveling, till my characters were well above 80. At that point, the final boss fight lasted just a few minutes, and consisted of me pressing nothing but X, X, X, X, X... using nothing but the standard attack of all my characters.

I can't believe that they went from the masterpiece FFX to this stupid sidequest based game. I'm glad XII is more about the story.

I gotta say, maybe that guy was right about n00bs getting their ass's handed to them. I don't understand it, I've been fighting every single enemy that I run across, some places I've even traversed more than once.

But damn, I guess it wasn't enough. Tomb of Raithwall. That fire demon boss. How cheap can the game possibly get? One fire attack takes down ALL 4 of my party members. Sometimes one guy is left standing with about 2 hp. I cast beserk on everyone and I can get him down to 1 PIXEL WIDTH of HP and at that point he uses his fire attack again and completely obliterates my party. 5 attempts, about 10 potions, 6 Hi-Potions, and 5 phoenix downs used during the battle and I still can't beat it.

I gotta say, I haven't been this pissed off at a game since the NES days. I was contemplating throwing my PS2 out the window last night. :(

But damn, I guess it wasn't enough. Tomb of Raithwall. That fire demon boss. How cheap can the game possibly get? One fire attack takes down ALL 4 of my party members. Sometimes one guy is left standing with about 2 hp. I cast beserk on everyone and I can get him down to 1 PIXEL WIDTH of HP and at that point he uses his fire attack again and completely obliterates my party. 5 attempts, about 10 potions, 6 Hi-Potions, and 5 phoenix downs used during the battle and I still can't beat it.

Make sure you use handkerchiefs to get the oil off or the fire will hurt a lot worse. I was lvl 20 when I fought this esper and it was not too bad.. so far though all the boss battles are harder than the other FF games I have played.

jaguax said:
I gotta say, maybe that guy was right about n00bs getting their ass's handed to them. I don't understand it, I've been fighting every single enemy that I run across, some places I've even traversed more than once.

I gotta say, I haven't been this pissed off at a game since the NES days. I was contemplating throwing my PS2 out the window last night. :(
Well shit. That's where I'm heading today. /me makes note to prepare^2.

yea that happens you need quickings and and you need to chain them

try to get every one atlest 2 and make sure you set some good gambits up

its realy not that hard then i pwned every boss so far on the frist try also you need to lvl grind
its much easy to play this game if you go in thinking like your playing any other MMO

Ok I FINALLY beat him after doing nothing but throwing potion after potion after potion at the characters that were attacking. Also found out that the water mote or whatever it's called does quite a bit of damage to him, so if you have some, launch them at the bastid. :p

After this, instead of giving you a break, the game gets even more ridiculous. I won't spoil anything but let's just say you get into another battle with a sword wielding douchebag who eventually has he ability to swing every second without stopping. And there isn't even any opportunity to buy items before this battle! WTF! I am screwed.

jaguax said:
And there isn't even any opportunity to buy items before this battle! WTF! I am screwed.
Yep, Square is dead serious when they say "Save to a different save slot". ;)

Holy crap. I just realized that you can obtain the summon license for the esper that was previously defeated. Every FAQ I read failed to mention this. Let's just say that the battle was over within a minute once I summoned this monstrosity. :D

jaguax said:
Holy crap. I just realized that you can obtain the summon license for the esper that was previously defeated. Every FAQ I read failed to mention this. Let's just say that the battle was over within a minute once I summoned this monstrosity. :D
Heheh. That flying guy in front of the tomb? 14-hit Quickening combo & 23900 damage later, that guy was doooooown. Not bad for Lvl. 20 charas heh.

Silly Cactoid...

spoiler

I killed your baby and harvested it for medicine. Hrm? I threw his remains behind my house.

Ok this game is absolute trash.

Why they decided it would be a good idea to make the enemies exponentially harder when you move into a new area, I don't know. Why they decided to make tiny bats remove 2000-3000 hp in one hit is beyond me. But what bothers me most is that with all 6 of my characters, desperately holding the flee button, I couldn't manage to escape them. Partly because when initially holding the flee button, your character MUST make a dead stop to holster their weapon. WHY!!! KEEP THE DAMN WEAPON OUT, OR DROP THE THING. When I command you to flee I want you to flee! Not stop in your tracks!

This is ridiculous. I spent a good hour leveling up and collecting all sorts of treasure in the Paraminia Rift, and once I got to that forest to the South, the enemies were killing my fully healed, fully armored characters in one hit. Then I fleed to some cave/railroad place in which these golden bats lingered... So I tried fleeing past them, desperately searching for a save crystal... Big mistake apparently. Fleeing was useless, it took these bats only one second to attack and each hit was a surefire kill.

I don't understand the difficulty level of this game... at one point it's ridiculiously easy (Paramina Rift)... I'm slicing through enemies left and right with no issue. Then once I enter the forest to the South it's all over. I'm dead.

It's a good game, but dayum, a little warning about these ridiculous enemies or these one hit kill bats would be nice.

^ haha... You can tell I was angry when I first started typing that post... It wasn't until I vented my anger a bit that I said the game was good.

It's a good game, but dayum, a little warning about these ridiculous enemies or these one hit kill bats would be nice.

Libra would do this for you, also the color indicator on the monster name tells you if the system thinks you can take it.

The best way to take care of Belias is to pay attention to the combat log. When he readies his Firaja, remove all party members except for one. That's the only thing you'll really have to worry about. Your party can probably get in three attacks for every one he does.

Also, you need to be anywhere from five to ten levels above the monsters that you're fighting. If you go in at or below, you're going to die.

solideliquid said:
10 levels above?! What the heck? No.

I'm serious.

I've beaten the last five bosses on the first try with standard weapon attacks alone and the occasion Cure/Curaga/Hi-Potion/other item thrown in.

I haven't used quickenings at all.

solideliquid said:
10 levels above?! What the heck? No.

lol its not hard just go to the mine in the floating city and grind there for like 2 hours on the skels and sell the loot its good gil and xp

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
The best way to take care of Belias is to pay attention to the combat log. When he readies his Firaja, remove all party members except for one.

I'm pretty sure I tried that but all 3 of my party members were targeted, so I couldn't remove them.

Well, maybe it wasn't Belias, but some other enemies/bosses target all 3 of the party members at once.

No matter though, I'm way past him now.

edit - in terms of "grinding"/power leveling/whatever it's called, I recommend just blasting your favorite albums/music while you hack away at enemies. It passes the time well. :)

Once you get to Old Archaedes, buy the Embroidered Tippet. It doubles your experience points, and then you can just go back and forth through the Sochen Cave Palace and Tchita Uplands. You should be able to go up atleast three levels per hour.

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.... This game is worthless trash. Did they even test play the game to make sure that it wasn't too difficult? Apparently not.

I guess doing nothing but leveling for 5 hours straight is not enough to keep up with the games pace. Seriously, I listened to 5+ whole entire music albums while doing nothing but running around and defeating enemies. Now I'm at the 2nd esper boss (the ice one) and holy crap what the hell! All of my characters have ice shields, golden armor, and protect, yet they are dead within a few seconds of the start of the battle.

I got real lucky one time and managed to furiously use phoenix downs and cura spells as fast as I could and I managed to defeat all of the ice elementals... Ok so now all I have to deal with is the boss... Cut to half an hour later and most of my party is done for, yet the boss only has a few PIXELS of health left, just a few more hits and victory is mine, but NOOOOOOOOOOO the stupid bastard just laughs at me and sends me straight to hell.

It seems that the bosses always reach their peak strength when they are about to die. How the hell that makes sense beats me, you should be weaker when you are about to die, but I guess they wanted to add the extra challenge.

So, despite only having a few pixels of health left, the boss obliterates my party... HALF AN HOUR GONE TO COMPLETE WASTE.

I don't understand it. My characters average around level 30, I've got all the top weapons and armor, and STILL these boss battles are impossible.

Is it normal to have to use 20 friggin phoenix downs during these battles? It's ridiculous.

The manual mentions that they changed to this new battle system to combine "the ease" of turn based with real time fighting... Where is the ease? There is no ease, apparently this manual has the Zero Wing syndrome in which the translation has gone horribly wrong. I think they meant to say the "IMPOSSIBILITY" of turn based fighting...

I can't stand it!!!! I'm about to resort to gameshark if this continues! :eek:

jaguax said:
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.... This game is worthless trash. Did they even test play the game to make sure that it wasn't too difficult? Apparently not.

I guess doing nothing but leveling for 5 hours straight is not enough to keep up with the games pace. Seriously, I listened to 5+ whole entire music albums while doing nothing but running around and defeating enemies. Now I'm at the 2nd esper boss (the ice one) and holy crap what the hell! All of my characters have ice shields, golden armor, and protect, yet they are dead within a few seconds of the start of the battle.

I got real lucky one time and managed to furiously use phoenix downs and cura spells as fast as I could and I managed to defeat all of the ice elementals... Ok so now all I have to deal with is the boss... Cut to half an hour later and most of my party is done for, yet the boss only has a few PIXELS of health left, just a few more hits and victory is mine, but NOOOOOOOOOOO the stupid bastard just laughs at me and sends me straight to hell.

It seems that the bosses always reach their peak strength when they are about to die. How the hell that makes sense beats me, you should be weaker when you are about to die, but I guess they wanted to add the extra challenge.

So, despite only having a few pixels of health left, the boss obliterates my party... HALF AN HOUR GONE TO COMPLETE WASTE.

I don't understand it. My characters average around level 30, I've got all the top weapons and armor, and STILL these boss battles are impossible.

Is it normal to have to use 20 friggin phoenix downs during these battles? It's ridiculous.

The manual mentions that they changed to this new battle system to combine "the ease" of turn based with real time fighting... Where is the ease? There is no ease, apparently this manual has the Zero Wing syndrome in which the translation has gone horribly wrong. I think they meant to say the "IMPOSSIBILITY" of turn based fighting...

I can't stand it!!!! I'm about to resort to gameshark if this continues! :eek:

did you even bother to set up GOOD gambits and lvl

also get every ones quickings ASAP and use them right away and chain them
its realy not a hard game >.>

jaguax said:
Woah good idea I haven't even gotten 1 quickening yet and I'm 30 hours in.

haha

yea thats why your getting pwned not only do thay work kind like limit breaks but thay double then triple your MP boss fights tend to be decided in the frist 10min or so
you let loose a qucking chain then beat the last bit of life out of it

btw how are you gambits setup?

jaguax said:
Woah good idea I haven't even gotten 1 quickening yet and I'm 30 hours in.

haha

If you must, just resort to using the speed power leveling guide on gamefaqs.com

I used it to level my characters from 30 to 90 quite quickly; he has very good suggestions. I didn't use his early game stuff, but killing werewolves and getting gradius and the katana sounds like a good strategy for sub 30 levelling.

But, you probably pissed off the FF gods by saying the game is trash, so you might as well forget it.

Oh, and you don't really need the zodiac spear.
The masmune/gengi glove combo is unbelievable.
My zodiac spear basch was hitting for 9999 each time, but my masmune vaan was hitting for 5000 each hit with his masmune. Doesn't sound that great, but 3 hit combos were common, even some 5-6 combos which were just awesome :D

So yea, if you don't get the spear, don't worry too much.

Formalhaut also pwns.

That's_Corporate said:
But, you probably pissed off the FF gods by saying the game is trash, so you might as well forget it.

It's not the first time I said it was trash either.

But I do love it. :D

This is utterly ridiculous... I've upgraded my characters with the most augments I could... increasing my magic strength, attack speed, etc... AND STILL!!!! I walk into this battle and those ice elementals are taking me down within seconds! SECONDS!!!! I cannot use Phoenix Downs quick enough because these things kill you instantly! I'm gonna go cry.

EDIT - WTF!!!! I use all 6 of my party members furiously casting out thundara on the ice elementals... I get down to ONE!!! And then it starts spitting ice at everybody before I can get one last thundara in... This game makes no sense... I've gotten past them before, and my characters are even stronger now, so why they are going down quicker beats the hell out of me. I gotta stop, this is worse than my NES experiences.

U know u are recommended to avoid those elements. They have very high life. Its tough even with my lvl 35-42 characters. I would run away and avoid any magik to change it from neutral to enemy. goto gamefaqs and get some tips

Dont u have libra? It helps alot when I was weak. I know when to run when I cant win.

lol I'm talking about the 2nd esper boss battle in the shrine of Miriam, there's about 6-8 ice elementals IN ADDITION to the boss. No avoiding them.

i find this game pretty easy if you know where to level up and how to use the gambit system.

I DID IT!!! I DEFEATED THAT SON OF A BITCH! :eek:

Started off using my 3 weakest characters, and thundara'd the crap out of those elementals... So my 3 weak characters were down within a minute or so. Then I switched to the main characters, used thundara some more and managed to defeat the elementals.

So then I started beating on the boss, and summoned the first esper. As he was beating on the boss I kept throwing him hi-potions to keep him alive. So eventually he did his hellfire thing (friggin cool over-the-top animation!) and damaged the boss a decent amount. So then I used ether to restore my MP and summoned it again! Once again he did his hellfire thing and I repeated the process, summoning him a third time. He died early this time though (I ran out of hi-potions) so I guess he did a "weaker" version of the hellfire (plainfire?) thing.

At this point the bosses health was less than a quarter, maybe even 1/8. So I used the only quickening I had (Red Spiral)... And, not having a clue how it works I just kept pressing R2. And that did it. That bastard was down for the count! :D

I don't think that's the proper way to use quickenings though? Shouldn't the game quickly explain it the first time you use it so you aren't clueless? Whatever though, it worked. :D

The 2nd espere boss with easy, when I play him. Beating that wyrm dragon/monster was even harder with all these random sleeps/slow/confuse/poision/stona keep on casting from it. My larsa died many many times.

man you need to start using your magicks right, you can even get that Niphlablobloablala thing from the clan merchant, it reverses the effects of potions and stuff. and reflect is a really good ally, and silence magick users....and gambits kick freakin ass

Back