Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Coming to Steam this Friday (May 12)

I decided to pick it up, the game currently, on steam, have 20% off and is around $17 for me, so... my original price would be $20, which isn't bad considering it's 2 games (or 1, depending on your perspective :p)

How well does this game(s) (depending on your perspective?) run?
it runs perfectly actually! on my system, see sig, I run it maxed at 1440p and never goes off 30FPS(locked). BUT...
if you have an original copy and pcsx2 you get almost the exact same look and 60FPS. biggest differences are no redone video or txt, those still look old. but the 3D looks almost as good.

it runs perfectly actually! on my system, see sig, I run it maxed at 1440p and never goes off 30FPS(locked). BUT...
if you have an original copy and pcsx2 you get almost the exact same look and 60FPS. biggest differences are no redone video or txt, those still look old. but the 3D looks almost as good.

Uh, no. It looks good on PCSX2, but not the same. They redid all of the character models and it looks like some of the areas got some work done on them too. It was more than just bumping up the details. Also, it doesn't run at 60fps on the emulator. The emulator is running at 60fps, the game is still 30. The emulator can't rewrite the game's code. The framerate counter on the emulator as well as 3rd party overlays only report with the emulator itself is running at. If the game was running at 60fps everything would be moving twice as fast.

FFX was the last Final Fantasy game I played. I thought it was pretty good. Never tried X-2.

FFX was the last Final Fantasy game I played. I thought it was pretty good. Never tried X-2.

Don't try X2. I have never said "wtf is this shit" and threw a game in the garbage until I played X2. Garbage.

A modder named Nixshe is working on a 60FPS mod. It has a lot timing and collision issues currently but he believes he can fix it. However he has to fix every single cut scene individually to fix those.

This first video shows off some of the issues he is dealing with:

This second video shows what a fixed cut scene looks like:

The fixed cut scene looks nice but the first video is rough, even during the gameplay parts.. Nixshe is saying he can fix the stuttering issues present in the first video. However he is also saying it will take him months, at minimum, to even get all the cut scenes fixed.

I have a couple of questions, for those who played the game to its entirety:

1. When the achievement asks you to 'complete' the Sphere Grid for one character, does it mean that I only need to activate every node, or does it mean I have to VISIT every node? And do I need to have all of the empty spheres filled in?

2. Is it just me, or is Rikku completely incapable of taking/dealing any damage early in the game? I have Lulu deaing over 1000 damage with her Ra spells when hitting weakness, yet Rikku only hits for less than 100

I have a couple of questions, for those who played the game to its entirety:

1. When the achievement asks you to 'complete' the Sphere Grid for one character, does it mean that I only need to activate every node, or does it mean I have to VISIT every node? And do I need to have all of the empty spheres filled in?

2. Is it just me, or is Rikku completely incapable of taking/dealing any damage early in the game? I have Lulu deaing over 1000 damage with her Ra spells when hitting weakness, yet Rikku only hits for less than 100
  1. You have to activate every single node on the entire grid for a character. This means that you also need to use spheres to fill in empty nodes, including ones that were vacated by a lock.
  2. Rikku's strength is in her Mix ability that she has access to early on. I always saw her as purely a support character, but even at the end-game when nearly everyone has gone through the whole sphere grid she always ends up being my least used character. I don't think her ultimate weapon is on par with the others, either.

1. You have to activate every single node on the entire grid for a character. This means that you also need to use spheres to fill in empty nodes, including ones that were vacated by a lock.
  2. Rikku's strength is in her Mix ability that she has access to early on. I always saw her as purely a support character, but even at the end-game when nearly everyone has gone through the whole sphere grid she always ends up being my least used character. I don't think her ultimate weapon is on par with the others, either.

Agreed on Riku. What I like to do is take Kimari down Rikku's route to get Steal and some boosts and then send him along Lulu's. Then I have a much better thief that can also serve double duty as a backup black mage and still do half-way decent melee damage. Rikku is capable of neither of those things for a while.

Yeah, Kimari seem to have an awful lot of overlap with other characters (I am using the expert sphere grid), that I wasn't able to keep his path unique. I was able to keep every one's path separate from each other, but I ran into the Ra spells that Lulu had fairly early on.

Forgot about the existence of Mix, probably because I was never a fan of using items as ammo for abilities (I find it extremely wasteful for some reason), so I have been using Rikku pretty much as a thief (she literally cannot do any damage with the attack command).

I hate lock spheres lol.... I think I will need a f-ton of teleport spheres later on, any idea how easy/hard they are to get in numbers? I would need them mainly for the locks, I skipped a lot of them back then (just got my very first level 2 key, and I only used 2 level 1 keys so far because when I get to the locks, I had no key, and when I got the keys, no one were anywhere near the locks).

Yeah, Kimari seem to have an awful lot of overlap with other characters (I am using the expert sphere grid), that I wasn't able to keep his path unique. I was able to keep every one's path separate from each other, but I ran into the Ra spells that Lulu had fairly early on.

Forgot about the existence of Mix, probably because I was never a fan of using items as ammo for abilities (I find it extremely wasteful for some reason), so I have been using Rikku pretty much as a thief (she literally cannot do any damage with the attack command).

I hate lock spheres lol.... I think I will need a f-ton of teleport spheres later on, any idea how easy/hard they are to get in numbers? I would need them mainly for the locks, I skipped a lot of them back then (just got my very first level 2 key, and I only used 2 level 1 keys so far because when I get to the locks, I had no key, and when I got the keys, no one were anywhere near the locks).
You can farm Teleport Spheres from Sleep Sprout at the Monster Arena. They are an 87.5% drop chance for x1.

A couple of questions:

(I am just past the romance pond scene)

1. At what point will you be able to go anywhere with the airship, if at all? I want to recruit some blitzball players but for some reason or another, my first stop at Luca didn't let me recruit anyone, and so far my attempts at recruiting anyone seem to fail badly.

2. Is there any particular reason why Auron does a lot more damage than either Kimari and Tidus, even though their strength are not that far apart? Is it just the piercing?

Thanks

A couple of questions:

(I am just past the romance pond scene)

1. At what point will you be able to go anywhere with the airship, if at all? I want to recruit some blitzball players but for some reason or another, my first stop at Luca didn't let me recruit anyone, and so far my attempts at recruiting anyone seem to fail badly.

2. Is there any particular reason why Auron does a lot more damage than either Kimari and Tidus, even though their strength are not that far apart? Is it just the piercing?

Thanks

1. It'll be a while. I can't remember specifically how many hours into the game it is, but it does take time for you to get to the airship.

2. Piercing is part of it, yeah. Until you hit either of the two damage caps, Auron does tend to do a bit more damage.

1. It'll be a while. I can't remember specifically how many hours into the game it is, but it does take time for you to get to the airship.

2. Piercing is part of it, yeah. Until you hit either of the two damage caps, Auron does tend to do a bit more damage.

More about 2: I vaguely recall piercing weapons for Tidus but I could be wrong there. Either way that 9999 damage cap can be gotten around but it's a royal pain for some characters. (cap gets raised to 99999)

A modder by the name of Topher has been working on a trainer for the HD release. The trainer so far has a bunch of cheats and just some nice quality of life improvements.

You can find info on it here and download the latest release here

In other mod news, modder Kaidaien has been doing a lot of work on his UnX mod. He managed to get true full screen working in the game and did some work on gamepad support and a few other things. Grab the latest release here

There is a Nexus mods site for the game now as well. Here

I'd recommend some of the sphere grid mods, just to make it look a little better. Some of the other texture mods are nice as well.

Tried UnX, if for nothing else, changing the onscreen prompts to match your controller is nothing short of godsend for overdrives. Soft reset is pretty useful too.

I am actually a little surprised to see FFX being nexus modded. If the guy who was working on 60fps manages to get FFX working in 60fps, I would gladly pay whatever I paid for this game to him. 30fps, unskippable cutscenes and lack of soft reset (which was addressed by UnX) are literally my only complaints about this game.

The fixed cut scene looks nice but the first video is rough, even during the gameplay parts.. Nixshe is saying he can fix the stuttering issues present in the first video. However he is also saying it will take him months, at minimum, to even get all the cut scenes fixed.

Is that what this PC version looks like? It looks like shit. The PS4 re-master I've been playing looks fantastic, especially compared to that.

Compressed video makes anything look crap, the actual game looks much better.

I don't have a PS4 to directly compared it to, since this game would have been my primary and sole reason for getting PS4 (I haven't seen a single exclusive that would interest me), and its release on PC basically made that reason vanish, so anyone with the game on both PC and PS4 should be able to tell you better.

But I can straight up say that the movie quality is not in anyway an accurate depiction of the actual game.

EDIT: After comparing youtube videos between PC and PS4 versions (I used Seymour Omnis fight as comparison), I cannot see the difference between the two versions. PC version also supports mods and 4k resolution anyway, which PS4 can't.

Last edited:
Is that what this PC version looks like? It looks like shit. The PS4 re-master I've been playing looks fantastic, especially compared to that.

Youtube is a terrible source for comparing game quality these days. Everything is horribly compressed to the point where a lot of detail gets lost or muddled. YT's bitrate is so damn low that it is impossible to get an accurate representation of modern games. The actual game looks a lot better than that when playing it.

Back