Armenius

Extremely [H]
The current generation of consoles is finally getting Final Fantasy VIII after VII through X-2 and XII through XIII were brought to all platforms. It is billed as a "remaster," though it looks like only the models and menus were updated. The prerendered backgrounds and textures still look the same, along with the cutscenes.

No definitive release date was given, just that it will be released this year on Steam, PS4, XB1, and Switch.

EDIT: Release date is September 3.

Last edited:
i know everyone hates on FF8 because that is what you do... but I loved 8. I think it is better than 7.

Some of the best character development in the series.

Over the years I've talked about this time and time again, but aside from some tedious mechanics it was a fantastic game. Its worth noting that the general hate and whatnot more or less came from the West, with it being greatly appreciated in Japan. To an extent this makes sense, because while FFVII was a great game, it was somewhat of a departure from both earlier Final Fantasy titles AND the first "truly next gen" Playstation era RPG people experienced. Its plot lines could be a little confusing, but not necessarily offputting or difficult to relate emotionally. Now, here comes FFVIII which takes the graphics even farther (no SD characters on the map etc), but thematically it was completely alien to Western audiences. First, the overall theme of the game was romantic in nature which was foreign enough to the many new players of JRPGs who only were introduced with 7. Next, the character designs and personalities are taken right out of Japanese romantic dramas - Squall himself was purposefully designed to look "hapa" - that is, part Japanese and part White. - Rinoa's behavior is seen as a caring kind of femininity that doesn't equate as well to the West, Seifer being the traditional "rival", the whole Baalam Garden "school" theme etc... The personalities of characters like Squall and Rinoa were well within the interactions that the Japanese audience may understand, but it was incredibly foreign and offputting to many Western players who weren't specifically familiar with certain tropes - lets not forget, during the Playstation era anime was far more niche than it is now.

There's a lot more to be said on the specifics of character personalities and interactions, but them feeling foreign or appearing awkward was atop some inventive but occasionally tedious mechanics (ie Draw system. Triple Triad card game was love it or hate it, but many agree that aside from collecting itself, it is by far the best version of the game itself. In fact, its version is what the FFXIV variant is based upon!) and a story that could be confusing (time travel, past and present personas interacting etc), that a lot of people felt the whole thing didn't work as well, which is kind of a pity. I honestly don't know if the current situation will mean the game will be given a better appraisal or if the old negative feelings will be amplified.

While I'm glad it is back and given a remaster for modern PCs (the original game version has some issues), I really wish they had given it a full remake. Maybe if not to the level of FFVII, but at least an overhaul of graphics, systems, characters, and overall experience beyond simply upscaling certain things. Perhaps even more than VII, VIII could use the full "remake" treatment, assuming they could keep the "soul".

i know everyone hates on FF8 because that is what you do... but I loved 8. I think it is better than 7.

Some of the best character development in the series.
I like it more than VII, too. The characters, story and setting resonated with me much more than VII did. It got me emotionally invested.

I like it more than VII, too. The characters, story and setting resonated with me much more than VII did. It got me emotionally invested.
Exactly. I felt like i knew the characters personally at the end and it wad kind of sad.

I loved the setting and characters from FF8. They were up there with 6 on my all-time favorites list. The atmosphere for the world was so well done and many of those locations I remember like they were yesterday.

On the other hand, I *HATED* the gameplay from 8. Draining enemies endlessly to power up stats? Garbage magic that was only useful for said stat increases. Items that could only be acquired once via random chance thefts even in boss encounters. Tedious guardian force attacks. Hell, the whole concept of a gun sword didn't help matters. If 8 had the gamplay of 6, 7, or 9 it would probably go down as a GOAT candidate. Instead I'd sooner watch a heavily edited video playthrough than ever actually play it again.

As a result, I don't even know how to feel about 8 overall. When I think about what I loved about Final Fantasy, 6 and 8 probably come to mind the most.

When I saw the trailer I thought "it's about damn time". I'll be picking it up on the Switch when it's released, but as for when I'll actually have time to play it, eh, can't really answer that in the near future.

It's the Final Fantasy that my friends and I played at the same time, talking about it every chance we got, how far we were, how we beat that boss, etc. Can't really ask for more in terms of nostalgia.

Totally agree that the draw mechanic was tedious and awful in general, but the characters and story made up for it by far.

When I saw the trailer I thought "it's about damn time". I'll be picking it up on the Switch when it's released, but as for when I'll actually have time to play it, eh, can't really answer that in the near future.

It's the Final Fantasy that my friends and I played at the same time, talking about it every chance we got, how far we were, how we beat that boss, etc. Can't really ask for more in terms of nostalgia.

Totally agree that the draw mechanic was tedious and awful in general, but the characters and story made up for it by far.

The worst part about the draw mechanic was that some bosses had spells you couldn't get anywhere else. Well, that and it is suuuuper easy to break the game early on by junctioning magic and making your characters ridiculously OP.

Personally, I very much liked the draw and GF mechanic in this game. It rewarded people who explored while at the same time provided one of the best ways to min-max your characters. The game was still easy to get through without trying to draw 100 of every magic on each character. If you wanted to complete all the extra content, then sure, you needed to spend some extra time bolstering your stats and junctioning correctly.
The worst part about the draw mechanic was that some bosses had spells you couldn't get anywhere else. Well, that and it is suuuuper easy to break the game early on by junctioning magic and making your characters ridiculously OP.
That is only true about GF. All magic in the game save Apocalypse can be drawn or refined ad infinitum using various methods.

You haven't lived unless you have played through the game at level 1 until you got the Cactuar GF and then maxed out everyone's stats.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Over the years I've talked about this time and time again, but aside from some tedious mechanics it was a fantastic game. Its worth noting that the general hate and whatnot more or less came from the West, with it being greatly appreciated in Japan. To an extent this makes sense, because while FFVII was a great game, it was somewhat of a departure from both earlier Final Fantasy titles AND the first "truly next gen" Playstation era RPG people experienced. Its plot lines could be a little confusing, but not necessarily offputting or difficult to relate emotionally. Now, here comes FFVIII which takes the graphics even farther (no SD characters on the map etc), but thematically it was completely alien to Western audiences. First, the overall theme of the game was romantic in nature which was foreign enough to the many new players of JRPGs who only were introduced with 7. Next, the character designs and personalities are taken right out of Japanese romantic dramas - Squall himself was purposefully designed to look "hapa" - that is, part Japanese and part White. - Rinoa's behavior is seen as a caring kind of femininity that doesn't equate as well to the West, Seifer being the traditional "rival", the whole Baalam Garden "school" theme etc... The personalities of characters like Squall and Rinoa were well within the interactions that the Japanese audience may understand, but it was incredibly foreign and offputting to many Western players who weren't specifically familiar with certain tropes - lets not forget, during the Playstation era anime was far more niche than it is now.

There's a lot more to be said on the specifics of character personalities and interactions, but them feeling foreign or appearing awkward was atop some inventive but occasionally tedious mechanics (ie Draw system. Triple Triad card game was love it or hate it, but many agree that aside from collecting itself, it is by far the best version of the game itself. In fact, its version is what the FFXIV variant is based upon!) and a story that could be confusing (time travel, past and present personas interacting etc), that a lot of people felt the whole thing didn't work as well, which is kind of a pity. I honestly don't know if the current situation will mean the game will be given a better appraisal or if the old negative feelings will be amplified.

While I'm glad it is back and given a remaster for modern PCs (the original game version has some issues), I really wish they had given it a full remake. Maybe if not to the level of FFVII, but at least an overhaul of graphics, systems, characters, and overall experience beyond simply upscaling certain things. Perhaps even more than VII, VIII could use the full "remake" treatment, assuming they could keep the "soul".

Well said. I always felt it was the most 'relatable' version they made, I was younger than the characters when I first played it and then as I got older was similar age and related to it much more, the world is very deep and they actually develop characters well. A few mechanics are laborious but that's also part of the game, its' one of very few titles you can fall asleep to and play in a relaxed manner. Amount of times I have fallen asleep to balamb garden music.. or the township.. enough said.

Still playing FF8 on a PS2 (just got the original Sony composite cables for it too).

Will buy this on day one as it's what I've been waiting for a very long time. I don't want the FF7 remake level of it (although I'd also give that a shot), I just want upressed, same story, same mechanics, just tweaked graphics and cutscenes. And they finally listened to us. Thank you for not being total jackasses, SE. I might even buy it on launch which is very rare for games these days.

I loved the setting and characters from FF8. They were up there with 6 on my all-time favorites list. The atmosphere for the world was so well done and many of those locations I remember like they were yesterday.
Locations are pure magic. Sometimes I come across places that remind me of them a little in this vast world too.

Personally, I very much liked the draw and GF mechanic in this game. It rewarded people who explored while at the same time provided one of the best ways to min-max your characters. The game was still easy to get through without trying to draw 100 of every magic on each character. If you wanted to complete all the extra content, then sure, you needed to spend some extra time bolstering your stats and junctioning correctly.

That is only true about GF. All magic in the game save Apocalypse can be drawn or refined ad infinitum using various methods.

You haven't lived unless you have played through the game at level 1 until you got the Cactuar GF and then maxed out everyone's stats.
This but I'll have to try the Level1 approach one time :) Usually try to keep them as low as possible though.

This but I'll have to try the Level1 approach one time :) Usually try to keep them as low as possible though.
It took me a bit to get used to the battle loop of abusing debuffing magic and using Card to end battles to grind AP, but it eventually became second nature. You do have to spend time seeking out and drawing powerful magicks, though. While normal mobs are easy due to the scaling in the game bosses can become an issue as they still use higher level abilities and magic. As a result the first few hours can feel really tedious.

to me FF8 biggest flaw is that there is no stores, armor, weapons, etc. You don't get that feeling of finding new gear and/or being able to buy new gear.

to me FF8 biggest flaw is that there is no stores, armor, weapons, etc. You don't get that feeling of finding new gear and/or being able to buy new gear.
Fair, weapon upgrades are pretty much useless beyond new limit breaks. Magic and magical items are far more exciting in the game.

It took me a bit to get used to the battle loop of abusing debuffing magic and using Card to end battles to grind AP, but it eventually became second nature. You do have to spend time seeking out and drawing powerful magicks, though. While normal mobs are easy due to the scaling in the game bosses can become an issue as they still use higher level abilities and magic. As a result the first few hours can feel really tedious.
That approach makes sense and sounds more challenging again, thanks for explaining. Usually do the old card game/magic refining/AP etc to be pretty 1337 on disc 1.

It is billed as a "remaster," though it looks like only the models and menus were updated.

That's what a remaster is... nobody said it was a "remake" like what Final Fantasy 7 is. Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2 are "remakes" and this is a remaster... which a lot of companies are doing nowadays to bring older titles to current systems.

Fair, weapon upgrades are pretty much useless beyond new limit breaks. Magic and magical items are far more exciting in the game.

It just doesn't feel the same since every other game before it had stuff like that to buy/find.

It just doesn't feel the same since every other game before it had stuff like that to buy/find.
I agree it was the only let down. I liked the materia system in FF7 with weapons as it gave another facet to that whole collecting stuff but while FF8 has a few flaws it's still one of the best JRPGs of all time to many, for me probably the best game of all time (only just).
If they do a full remake one day then maybe you will get your wish ;)

That approach makes sense and sounds more challenging again, thanks for explaining. Usually do the old card game/magic refining/AP etc to be pretty 1337 on disc 1.
Using Card is to end battles without getting XP while still getting AP because as I said, you need to be able to junction well against the bosses. Getting more cards to refine is just a bonus.

like this
That's what a remaster is... nobody said it was a "remake" like what Final Fantasy 7 is. Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2 are "remakes" and this is a remaster... which a lot of companies are doing nowadays to bring older titles to current systems.
Remasters often include newer or upscaled textures, as well, which is why I specifically pointed that out in the OP.

I can understand the FMV, though. It would probably need to be done from scratch and cost too much money based on the return they're expecting for such a small part of the game.

Remasters often include newer or upscaled textures, as well, which is why I specifically pointed that out in the OP.

I can understand the FMV, though. It would probably need to be done from scratch and cost too much money based on the return they're expecting for such a small part of the game.

A lot of the assets probably no longer exist and they have no source code so for FMVs they’re stuck with the old PC or PS1 versions.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the game. I do think the story is nonsense still. Squall is a killjoy. However, you can totally big dick this game once you understand the mechanics. Using the draw system, playing the card game, and using the GF Power to make cards...you can be the equivalent of LV99 (without actually boosting your level) before you even leave the academy for the first time. Which, when acquiring the later GFs allows you to power stat boost yourself into God Status.

Its brokenness actually won me over.

I actually don't like FF9 because I consider it a regression from the system. How open FF8 was, was kinda ridiculous. It was just kinda cryptic on how to do it.

Last edited:
I wasn't the biggest fan of the game. I do think the story is nonsense still. Squall is a killjoy. However, you can totally big dick this game once you understand the mechanics. Using the draw system, playing the card game, and using the GF Power to make cards...you can be the equivalent of LV99 (without actually boosting your level) before you even leave the academy for the first time. Which, when acquiring the later GFs allows you to power stat boost yourself into God Status.

Its brokenness actually won me over.

I actually don't like FF9 because I consider it a regression from the system. How open FF8 was, was kinda ridiculous. It was just kinda cryptic on how to do it.

Squall is among a long line of FF protags that "get better" as their game goes along. The game does try to explain his "I don't care" attitude, but the iffy dialog does a rather poor job of justifying it. I loved what they tried to do with the GFs, but damn that part of the plot was such a mess.

2 things:
-Looks barely remastered, dissappointing
-I'm spoiled by emulators - easy and fast savestate management, and not to mention ability to speed the game up at the press of a button, helps A LOT when you're doing tedious crap.

Pass for me.

2 things:
-I'm spoiled by emulators - easy and fast savestate management, and not to mention ability to speed the game up at the press of a button, helps A LOT when you're doing tedious crap.

Pass for me.

Its a remaster, not a remake. What do you expect? As far as I've seen, they never found the source code for FF8 and I doubt they have many/any of the original assets left so they're pretty limited on what they can do without recreating stuff from the ground up. I don't think the PC version ever got the same love from modders as FF7's so this might end up looking better than what you can achieve with current versions.

SE tends to include "save anywhere" and speed options when they do these ports. I'd be surprised if they weren't included here as well.

2 things:

Pass for me.
If it's like the FFVII and FFIX releases there will be a bunch of extra toggles including the ability to speed up the game and turn off random encounters.

Its a remaster, not a remake. What do you expect? As far as I've seen, they never found the source code for FF8 and I doubt they have many/any of the original assets left so they're pretty limited on what they can do without recreating stuff from the ground up. I don't think the PC version ever got the same love from modders as FF7's so this might end up looking better than what you can achieve with current versions.

SE tends to include "save anywhere" and speed options when they do these ports. I'd be surprised if they weren't included here as well.

I'm thinking they found it, thus this remaster.

I'm thinking they found it, thus this remaster.

Hard to say. They could pull code off a retail release as well (I believe Toys of Bob had to do that for one of the Spyro games for the remake/remaster) or it could be based off of the old PC release. When it comes out I'm sure modders will poke at it to see if its brand new code or not.

Hard to say. They could pull code off a retail release as well (I believe Toys of Bob had to do that for one of the Spyro games for the remake/remaster) or it could be based off of the old PC release. When it comes out I'm sure modders will poke at it to see if its brand new code or not.

That's incredibly expensive. Square and Activision certainly have the money...but I just doubt some of that. Like, there's reasons we haven't gotten Panzer Dragoon Saga remaster because the source is lost and the cost to reverse engineer the code out of a release is prohibitive for such a niche title. Anyway, it seems likely Square found it, thus the remaster. It's kinda a black swan title. I just don't see Square dumping the funds into reverse engineering the title. It's not like it's as well regarded or fan driven like FF6 or FF7. Another shocker is the complete lack of funds given to a proper FF6 release on a modern platform.

Back to Sega, I'm surprised they haven't gotten M2 to do their emulation thing on those games. Vastly cheaper and a good way to at least get those games out. Still, I'm glad Saturn emulation is much better these days.

That's incredibly expensive. Square and Activision certainly have the money...but I just doubt some of that. Like, there's reasons we haven't gotten Panzer Dragoon Saga remaster because the source is lost and the cost to reverse engineer the code out of a release is prohibitive for such a niche title.

I'm still shocked Sega hasn't gotten M2 to do their emulation thing on those games.

Saturn emulation is incredibly hard due to some really bad/short-sighted decisions on Sega's part.

Saturn emulation is incredibly hard due to some really bad/short-sighted decisions on Sega's part.

I edited to fix it...but Saturn emulation is MUCH better these days. In fact, I'm running those titles on a couple of year old hardware and a 1050.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend to give Mednafen a go. It's kinda wonderful.

I'd just love to actually give money to those games. I don't feel bad about emulating the original Panzer Dragoon, since I own Orta and it's included. However, I'd like to support Zwei and Saga officially.

I hope the modding community will be able to pump some higher quality visuals into this game.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Will Have Triple Speed, Battle Enhancements and More, PC Version Keeps Exclusive Features

All versions of the game will include the following enhancements:
  • Triple Speed
  • Max HP and ATB Gauge
  • Limit Breaks always available
The following enhancements will be exclusive to the PC version
  • Acquire all items, abilities, Limit Breaks, and Triple Triad cards
  • Max GF level, gil, and magic
  • More customizable system settings

'Speed enhancements' lol whomever said they would do that earlier hit the nail on the head.

That's very interesting, wonder if it means chocobo part is playable or not required? Curious to see what they've done there.

'Speed enhancements' lol whomever said they would do that earlier hit the nail on the head.

That's very interesting, wonder if it means chocobo part is playable or not required? Curious to see what they've done there.
It should be playable. It was included in both the original PC release and Steam release, but the modifier would obviously negate the need for Chocobo World if you used it.

It should be playable. It was included in both the original PC release and Steam release, but the modifier would obviously negate the need for Chocobo World if you used it.
The chocobo world external/mini game was playable on PC versions? I didn't know that at all. Thought it was PS only and needed the weird little hardware thing to do it. Would love to buy one one day just for collection purposes.

uhh, let's see.. I own FF VIII on steam.. so.. yeah..

Key Features:
  • Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

This feature can be used from the launcher.

• Chocobo World

This version of FFVIII includes the full game “Chocobo World” that was released as a separate application for previous versions. It is possible to play “Chocobo World” directly from the launcher after booting up FFVIII and by fulfilling certain specific conditions in the main game you will also be able to synchronise data between the two games.

New Game Boosters:

• High Speed Mode
    All scenes (including cutscenes, movies and battles, etc.) can be fast-forwarded. (Fast-forward speeds vary by cutscene, but average about five times normal speed.)
    * CAUTION, certain computers may not be able to process the game with High Speed Mode. If the game crashes while in High Speed Mode, please restart the game and refrain from using High Speed Mode.

• Battle Assistance
    Grants the following advantages in battle:
    -ATB gauge always full
    -HP always full
    -Limit Break always available
    *Characters die instantly when suffering damage that exceeds their HP.

Normal attacks, certain Limit Breaks, and certain G.F. attacks deal 9,999 damage.

• AP MAX
    Sets level and AP of all acquired G.F. to max when used on the world map.
    *May not function properly when used during event cutscenes.
    *These commands can only be executed via keyboard.

• Magic and Gil MAX
    Sets inventory of each acquired magic spell to 100 and sets gil to maximum limit
    *Cannot be used on menu screens, during cutscenes, in combat or at shop. Usable when moving between areas while playing Laguna's Dream.
    *These commands can only be executed via keyboard.

All this stuff is already built into the PC release, so it'll more than likely be a part of the Remaster.

The chocobo world external/mini game was playable on PC versions? I didn't know that at all. Thought it was PS only and needed the weird little hardware thing to do it. Would love to buy one one day just for collection purposes.

It's called a Wonder Swan.

like this
Back