Final Fantasy VII PC and current hardware

Rehevkor

[H]ard|Gawd
I have my ancient copy of FF7 up and running using the Windows XP patch for it. However, if I select any option using Direct3D, there are some graphics errors in the menus and the pre-rendered backgrounds don't display at all. I can only see character and object models. At present, I can only play the game in software mode.

Is there any way I can get 3d acceleration working for the game on my system? Thanks.

I was playing with FF7 the other day...TBH I just gave up on the PC version and started playing the PS version through emulation. The 640x480 cap in the PC version is just silly :mad:

Emulation of FF7 still has it's issues though, the cut from the world map into a battle has a huge pause followed by slowed down music (laggy) for afew seconds. Didn't bug me much at first, but now I think I'm just going to play on my PS2 :mad:

I have the PC version as well. After mucking with it a while back, I had decided I was going to stick with the psx version. Even if I got it to work perfectly, and even though it had the excellent yamaha synth, it still couldn't recreate all of the voices and such (especially one winged angel) and that really hurt the experience.

Now that I have a PS2, I'm probably going to see what bargain bins or classics collections have FF7-9, tactics, chrono cross, etc. and play them on the PS2.

JRPereira said:
Now that I have a PS2, I'm probably going to see what bargain bins or classics collections have FF7-9, tactics, chrono cross, etc. and play them on the PS2.

It is great fun and alot of load lag is gone. Just one note...you will probably need an old PSX memory card to save games. Older games don't like the PS2 memory cards (probably because of the format).

-tReP

Friend of mine has FF7 playing beautifully on his XP box. No problems at all from what he tells me. These sorts of things are YMMV though.

If you get the unofficial patches you can have FF7 run flawlessly on the PC with AA and even the battle models replacing the world models. Backgrounds will still look like crap always though due to the renders being made at TV resolutions and not for monitors.

What unofficial patches? Got a link? I've tried the XP patch, and as I mentioned above, the direct3d is unusable.

I got FF7 working pretty good on emulators. the trick to help aleviate (not elimenate) the struggling slow down between world map to battles, is set the frame limit to somewhere between 60 and 65, but always above 60. I have mine at 62.5, since I notice too much speed up in music at 65, and anything lower the battle slowdown really seems to take a hit.

Again, it still exists, but it is much more tollerable.

That accounts for high res, filtered textures, AA and AF. If you have an appropriate card, and Pete's OpenGL2 GPU plugin, you can even get some GLSlang/ARB shader scripts running for some neat effects, or even write your own, if you know the language. :)

After screwing around with emulating FF7 enough, I can't quite go back to using the PS1 or 2. Esspecially not after I grabbed some PS1/2 USB adapters. It just looks too good to go back.

I have both the pc and the PSone version of this game.

All you guy talking a about different ways of running it on your pc, could you please link to what you are talking about?

Considering the current popularity of FF7, you'd think they'd release a full official patch to atleast fix all the glitches in the current hardware.

I've managed to get it to run but was a bit dismayed when i found that not only can i not go past 640x480, i couldn't even set the AA/AF at the driver settings.

BTW, FF7 really has gotten a sudden boost in popularity if the gamefaq survey is any indication (people actually playing the game). FF7 sales are unreliable since most guys are playing with copies they got years ago :p

Trepidati0n said:
It is great fun and alot of load lag is gone. Just one note...you will probably need an old PSX memory card to save games. Older games don't like the PS2 memory cards (probably because of the format).

-tReP

Thanks for the info. Luckily the ps1 cards are probably nice and inexpensive.

Last year I had FFVII running on my PC and all the backgrounds were inverted while the charactors were all normal. Never bothered to try again. I'm currently in the process of beating FF8 again on my PS1.

cgrant26 said:
Last year I had FFVII running on my PC and all the backgrounds were inverted while the charactors were all normal. Never bothered to try again. I'm currently in the process of beating FF8 again on my PS1.

FF8 was a mixed bagged for me....not sure if I could put up with that punishment again =P Once you figured out a few key things (i.e. horded a few key "farmed" items) the game was a joke combat wise. If I ever play it again...i'll probably avoid that damn card game =P Some of the "rule mods" were just plain silly.

-tReP

Wow, i've been looking for something like this for the past few months. Thanks a lot man! Woo! I still have the original box from over 6 years ago with the trianglular box and the fold over cd case with the original manual.

bboynitrous said:
Wow, i've been looking for something like this for the past few months. Thanks a lot man! Woo! I still have the original box from over 6 years ago with the trianglular box and the fold over cd case with the original manual.

Better keep that thing under wraps; they're worth quite a bit now.

cgrant26 said:

There's a patch that fixes this. Wish there was a way to remaster the videos. Those backgrounds were way too grainy.

heatsinker said:
Better keep that thing under wraps; they're worth quite a bit now.

Hmm.. interesting. It's not in the best condition, but it's not torn up by any means nor does it have crap spilled over it. But you can tell it's age :).

I could never get my pc version to work. Back in the day when it frist came out i could get it to work but it would crash

And when i try it now a days I can't even get it run.....ghey

One day i will get the playstation version and finaly beat that game.....

The last time I played it was on my Riva TNT 16MB. I was going to play it again after I got my twin Voodoo2s, but never got around to it.

Man, every time I try to play with the XP patches installed, the dang movies wont play, so when I start a game, I cant really get into a new game. Any ideas, anyone?

Uninstall any video (+audio?) codec packs you have. That should take care of any video problems. Troublesome, but if you use the matroska pack (www.matroska.org), you will only need to install/uninstall one codec package anytime you want to screw around with FFVII.

For the patches? I have them all. I could upload it to my comcast page zipped if you like.

Oh nevermind, here is the link to it.

someone posted a link earlier to qhimm(sp?) forum.
go there and search the forum, there are many files people have been making lately.
I havent been there in a while, but last time I was there somebody was making a patch that filters all the 2D backgrounds with 2XSai and other resolution enhancements.

(I saw a pic of it running with filtered backgrounds, and 1280x1024 resolution.)

I never tried it myself, cause installing FF7 on PC has always been a hassle. I might do it when they finish the patch i suppose.

I had troubles getting the PC running too.. so I went to EBGames and bought a used PS1 with a 6 month warranty for $20, a memory card from a pawnshop for $3 and a legit version of the game on ebay for $40. It was worth it to play glitch free on my couch the way the game was meant to be played.

Oh btw, my installation issues is copying all the files to the HD, which takes a long time, so i dont like doing it. But you can always play from the CD like normal, I just dont like it.

It doesnt help that SquareEnix and Eidos, both, like to pretend this version of FF7 doesnt exsist. (Eidos specifically had and area on their forum for FF7pc, but it was not for support, it was for owners to help each other support each other. Eidos pretends they never had anything to do with this.)

Sad. Considering it is a HORRIBLE port.
Ironically you wont have any issues if you play it on a Voodoo card. (3Dfx GLide)

Back