Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
When it rains, it pours over at Square Enix. After much anticipation, Square Enix rolls out its PSP Remastered game Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, then a demo for Final Fantasy 15 and also announced the development of a new console role-playing game.

Wow, can't believe they are still making that game. It has been awhile :eek:

Now with newer combat system that feels nothing like the others
Now with even newer leveling system that is even more silly that previous ones
Now with even more androgynousy goodness in your hero!

Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy since FFIX.
FFX lost the world map and ever since the whole series has been down hill.

I truly think the last FF anything game that was good was FFT Advance.
The graphics are nice, but the characters are soooo out there that even for a fantasy setting, they are all completely unbelievable.

Also, the guys look more like girls than the girls do... if you're into that kind of thing; granted, it's been this way for over a decade now, but still, way to alienate your original audiences, Square-Enix.

How about they go back and patch the broken shitty ports of FFIII and FFIV .....just an idea.

Looks like shit. PS2 level of graphics? Really?

Yeah it looks like they put there mobile team on this one. They redid assets for the main characters and everyone else looks like trash. Also they added some ridiculous motion blow anytime the camera moves that make it so you can't see what is going on.

The graphics are nice, but the characters are soooo out there that even for a fantasy setting, they are all completely unbelievable.

Also, the guys look more like girls than the girls do... if you're into that kind of thing; granted, it's been this way for over a decade now, but still, way to alienate your original audiences, Square-Enix.

I'm their original audience, I grew up playing FF. I like the direction FF has gone over the years. Sure there have been some problems, but all in all it continues to evolve and not be stale. Also the only FF i hated more then IX was X-2 and that one should be pretty obvious. So no, they are only alienating those who just don't happen to like the direction they chose.

Looks like shit. PS2 level of graphics? Really?

It's a PSP game with higher resolution. If you can look past the graphics the game is pretty good. A bit of a learning curve to the combat. Very gritty and bloody story too, like they used Game of Thrones for some inspiration.

I'm their original audience

So no, they are only alienating those who just don't happen to like the direction they chose.

For everyone one of you, there is one of him. Its no longer Final Fantasy. You like JRPG's in general, which is why you enjoy their "direction". FF1-7 and 9 are final fantasy. FF11 and 14 are MMO's with FF themes. FF8 and 10+ are JRPG's with FF themes. IMO.

I'm their original audience, I grew up playing FF. I like the direction FF has gone over the years. Sure there have been some problems, but all in all it continues to evolve and not be stale. Also the only FF i hated more then IX was X-2 and that one should be pretty obvious. So no, they are only alienating those who just don't happen to like the direction they chose.

FF used to be a game where you played as a group of warriors with interesting origins and even more interesting fates:

final-fantasy-vii-sephiroth.jpg

It has now turned into a game where you are essentially coaching a one-dimensional cosplay team to see who is more beautiful/sparkly/kawaii:

Final_Fantasy_XIII_Cast.png

If that's your thing, enjoy!

FF used to be a game where you played as a group of warriors with interesting origins and even more interesting fates:

It has now turned into a game where you are essentially coaching a one-dimensional cosplay team to see who is more beautiful/sparkly/kawaii:

If that's your thing, enjoy!

Interesting choice of pictures...didn't bother listening to the story did you? 13 has as much if not more character depth then 7. Don't get me wrong, I loved 7 and it holds a special place in my heart, but character depth in that game was in no way good. Cloud had about as much depth as a rain puddle in the desert. The ONLY thing that made that game was 1 character and 1 character only and that was Sephiroth.

Nostalgia is an interesting thing..things usually aren't nearly as good as we remember them. As I said, I don't like everything FF has ever done, there are plenty of things I hate. however I try to keep the overall picture in mind and overall it has steadily gotten better. I know some people struggle with the concept of being able to see the faults in something they love, but it really is possible.

I do like how lilbabycat declairs 1-7 and 9 as the true final fantasies. Which is rather interesting considering 7 actually broke the mold of what everything before it did. It really begs the question of what makes it Final fantasy and not just a JRPG? Well given that all Jrpgs and really most asian rpgs in general all share the same elements and general design philosophy. I would argue that what makes FF are those FF elements. Remove the chocobo's and other FF specific things and I dare you to make a solid case where FF stands out in the least. It really doesn't, the fact is we fell in love with those specific FF elements and how they helped deliver that particular fantasy RPG. So really calling specific FF games not FF just with FF elements is rather dishonest.

I wish they would release a spin off for people who don't want ground breaking battle mechanic improvements.

I wan't to go back to eating pizza while everyone lines up and I can battle as slowly as I want. It's a shame I have to play crappy no name titles to get this experience these days.

I wish they would release a spin off for people who don't want ground breaking battle mechanic improvements.

x2. I'd likely be a lot more interested in the new one for sure provided it came to the PC (no new console).

The series lost me when when they strayed from the classic turn based battle system. I tried really hard to get into FF13, but after an hour or two I just wasn't feeling it. I don't necessarily have a problem with Square trying out new things. The Last Remnant, for example, was awesome, but they should have really left the core gameplay mechanics alone (IMO) in the series.

The gameplay footage of 15 makes it look more like a button masher than a JRPG. That just seems so wrong lol It'd be like turning XCOM into a gear of war style shooter. I realize that opinions are like assholes and all that, but I know far more FF fans that hate the new direction they're going than like it.

The gameplay footage of 15 makes it look more like a button masher than a JRPG. That just seems so wrong lol It'd be like turning XCOM into a gear of war style shooter. I realize that opinions are like assholes and all that, but I know far more FF fans that hate the new direction they're going than like it.

It's much deeper. The difficulty was so hard even by Japan's standers the HD version adds a difficulty setting.

3 has as much if not more character depth then 7

Depth? Spewing off a list of names, events, and terms that are never explained does not equate to "depth". Not to mention the massive amount of contradicting along the way. Oh hey there is this giant floating mech/person/god thing but those fireworks are really neat, oh crap my sister is turning into a crystal, I better go save(?) the world so I turn into a crystal too.

Spoony's review of FF13 is the RLM Prequels Review of videogames, he explains it all pretty well. http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-part-1/

What has really annoyed me is how the shunned the PC market and vita especially considering vita was the successor of the PSP.

Whilst type 0 looks interesting its not going to make me buy a PS4. Also FF15 looks a big disappointment.

Depth? Spewing off a list of names, events, and terms that are never explained does not equate to "depth". Not to mention the massive amount of contradicting along the way. Oh hey there is this giant floating mech/person/god thing but those fireworks are really neat, oh crap my sister is turning into a crystal, I better go save(?) the world so I turn into a crystal too.

Spoony's review of FF13 is the RLM Prequels Review of videogames, he explains it all pretty well. http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-part-1/

You beat me to the post.
I fully agree, XIII was terrible.

Sazh Katzroy has nothing on Barrett Wallace.

I stopped caring after 7. Sure I might of missed out on some of them after 7, but there are just too many good games since.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I even imagined XCOM as a FPS and thought of how bad it would be.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I even imagined XCOM as a FPS and thought of how bad it would be.

It's a spin off like Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and even Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. This is nothing new to fans.

Point remains, there was better character development in basically every FF after 7 than in 7. It doesn't matter if you liked 13 or not, fact is the characters were better developed then 7. I only used that as an example because those were the two you used. I'm not here to argue that 13 was or was not a good game, it had plenty of stupid problems. However this nostalgia claim that somehow 7 was the holy grail is just absurd.

Point remains, there was better character development in basically every FF after 7 than in 7. It doesn't matter if you liked 13 or not, fact is the characters were better developed then 7. I only used that as an example because those were the two you used. I'm not here to argue that 13 was or was not a good game, it had plenty of stupid problems. However this nostalgia claim that somehow 7 was the holy grail is just absurd.

If we were to do the rating game, FF7 wouldn’t even be in my top 5.

FFI: 4/10
FFII: 2/10
FFIII: 3/10
FFIV: 10/10
FFV: 8/10
FFVI: 10/10
FFVII: 6/10
FFVIII: 3/10
FFIX: 10/10
FFX: 8/10
FFX-2: 8/10
FFXI: NA
FFXII: 8/10
FFXIII: 7/10
FFXIII-2: 8/10
LR:FFXIII: N/A
FFXIV:ARR: N/A

FF Tactics: 10/10
FF Tactics Advance: 5/10
FF Tactics A2: N/A
FFXII:RW: N/A
Dissidia: N/A
Dissidia Duodecim: N/A
Crisis Core: FFVII: 7/10
FFT-0: N/A

I agree with this, FFIX was the last great FF game.

Agreed with the androgynous junk they are plastering into the games as well, women are starting to look like men and the men are turning into a Thai pageant contest.

We never said FFVII was the holy grail, just that it was a great game.
Honestly, the holy grail of FF would probably be FFVI, and I think many others on here would agree.

FFXIII was garbage, all the way around.
The characters were unrelatable, the battle system was more like a coaching system, the story made almost zero sense, the soundtrack was awful, and even the "fantasy" aspect was so far out there that it breaks the suspension of disbelief and just goes into bullshit territory.

If you like it, and that is your think, then more power to you.
I'm not bashing you, but I am saying that Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy in almost 15 years.

Back