Final Fantasy Tactics finally released for iOS

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
Just a heads up for the FFT fans. Square has finally released 'Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions' for iOS. Currently, it's only avalible (nativly) for the iPhone and iPod touch, but a native iPad version is supposed to be released in about a month. It's completely redone for touch screen input and should turn out to be a pretty great game.

downloading it now :)

Great game! I still have my original PS1 game and I got the PSP version to play on the go.

What's the iPad version gonna retail for?

I have an iPad but not an iPhone or iPod.

I'll wait for the iPad version, hopefully it'll work with my old iPad 1.

Does it still cut the framerate in half and every time you use a spell / item like the PSP version? What the fuck was with that shit

Protip: Make Ramza a ninja with martial arts skill from monk, he will instagib anything for the rest of the entire game since his physical attack and speed is absolutely ludicrous and he attacks twice. Have fun doing 250 damage by the end of the first chapter and often getting the first turn of the fight... get teleport on top of that and you have a Ramza that can move 10 spaces easily, ignores all height, walls, and does a completely broken amount of damage. Just keep stacking him with gear that increases attack power as you get it.

Also I've beaten this like 500 times and desire an Android version TIA Square.

What's the iPad version gonna retail for?

Same price, if the previous iPad/iPhone pricing split of S-E games is any indication. There might be a $1 premium for the iPad version, since Final Fantasy III costs $15.99 on the iPhone and $16.99 on the iPad.

I really wish S-E would publish universal versions of their games, but I suppose there isn't as much money in that (and they need money badly), and they don't want to put out game apps that weigh in at huge file sizes.

Does it still cut the framerate in half and every time you use a spell / item like the PSP version? What the fuck was with that shit

It was lazy outsourced porting that didn't bother to adjust the effects to run smoother. They didn't touch the graphical assets at all, probably because no one wants to invest the manpower and time needed to redraw the art for a "simple" port.

Last edited:
Definitely waiting for the iPad version. I played this game so much back on the PSX. I'm hoping there will be a little bit of iPad2 graphical loving, but I would be completely fine with the original.

I don't like Square's pricing. It's a full game, I'll give them that, but it's not an original game. Knock it down to $9.99 and I'd be a lot happier of a camper.

The only reason I am sad that I got rid of my PSP. LOVED That game. Don't really want on my small iPhone screen, here is to hoping that they come out with it on the iMac platform.

Third time Im buying this game and I still love it! Cant wait for a real Ipad version to come out though.

The only reason I am sad that I got rid of my PSP. LOVED That game. Don't really want on my small iPhone screen, here is to hoping that they come out with it on the iMac platform.

They're not going to port it to OS X. Even if Square-Enix was interested in porting or remaking their late 90s catalog to Windows or OS X, FFT would be pretty low on that list.

I would get it if square would fix their damn pricing. $17 is too damn much for a casual phone/iPod game.

After seeing this thread, I went and got Final Fantasy 1 on my iPhone. I've already put about 15 hours into it over the past week. Ugh.

Thank you

Thanks for the heads up! I just picked it up myself, brings back memories when I was playing with it on PSone during 1997.

Kind of a thread necro, but since the fall is officially over and there isnt and iPad version out... Has anyone heard any update on this or read anything anywhere?

I totally want my ipad-ified FF tactics :(

Kind of a thread necro, but since the fall is officially over and there isnt and iPad version out... Has anyone heard any update on this or read anything anywhere?

I hear you. Last I heard, it was supposed to be released in the Fall, but since they just gave the iphone version a fairly big update, they might be trying to incorporate the same changes into the ipad version before release.

Hopefully it'll be soon. Square hasn't mentioned anything as far as I know.

Well, they definitely missed their target release window. Square-Enix seems to have a habit of poorly communicating their iOS strategy.

Anyway, the iPad version was supposedly delayed for the purpose of redrawing all of the character sprites to look better at 1024x768, something that I'm not sure I believe, given that Square-Enix didn't even bother to fix the PSP version's sluggish battle effects when porting to iOS. But with a Retina Display iPad 3 on the horizon, I guess it's possible they're responding to criticism over their recent iOS ports: Chrono Trigger was knocked for somehow weighing in at 588MB despite being a straight port of a 32Mb (4MB) SNES game, complete with blurry upscaled SNES sprites, for instance.

It's also possible that Square-Enix just wanted to wait until after the Christmas shopping season to release FFT, calculating that the larger customer base of people who received iPads for Christmas plus not having to compete with major console titles would result in higher sales.

Back