Final Fantasy Hits 25 This Year

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If this doesn’t make you feel like and old decrepit gamer, nothing will since most gamers weren’t even born 25 years ago. :D. It’s hard to believe that Final Fantasy franchise started in 1987 and has since branched out to encompass other genres since its inception. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy, Square Enix is releasing a mega box set on December 18th to commemorate the anniversary, but at $446 per set, only the dedicated hard core fan will be waiting in line.

Hurray.... except since they become Square Enix, Final Fantasy has been money grubbing crap, and Dragon Quest has been... non existent. Combine that with the FF7 "remake' that they're trying to cash on without doing shit to it graphically, but hey give us $450 and we'll give you all these games that any person who's been fan probably already owns (or owned)

Square Enix has lost it's freaking mind with this boxset. Has anyone actually looked at it? FF1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are on PS1 disks. FF3 is on a PSP UMD Disk! FF10, 11, 12 are on PS2 disks. And FF13 is on PS3! How many PS3's are out there that will play PS2 games? How many people have a PS2, PS3, and a PSP so that they can play every game in this mega collection? Hell I wouldn't pay half that amount for half of that.

Square Enix has lost it's freaking mind with this boxset. Has anyone actually looked at it? FF1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are on PS1 disks. FF3 is on a PSP UMD Disk! FF10, 11, 12 are on PS2 disks. And FF13 is on PS3! How many PS3's are out there that will play PS2 games? How many people have a PS2, PS3, and a PSP so that they can play every game in this mega collection? Hell I wouldn't pay half that amount for half of that.

This x 1000.

Ebay > this mega "collection".

Hey, atleast they didn't release the versions where they are on cartridge. :p

I must have missed where it said this collection comes with hookers and blow because there's no way anybody sane would still pay almost $40 per game.

Maybe the price is in yen.

Ill be buying it. I own nearly all the consoles outside of all the mobile ones and the infinium phantom, Its not like i got rid of my old consoles and i love the games so ill grab them even if i own the games already.

Seriously i have been playing the FF games for years. I only wish it came with the OST's and extra stuff like that. I also own them too.

I must have missed where it said this collection comes with hookers and blow because there's no way anybody sane would still pay almost $40 per game.

Maybe the price is in yen.

People pay way more than $40 a game. Even on garbage games.

The more you know:
The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35 years old.

Source

Hard to believe it's been 25 years. For many of us outside Japan, it was more like 22 or so years ago around 1990/1991 when Nintendo Power had sent out a free strategy guide for the original game, which I'm sure helped sales (well that was my main reason for buying the game). Anyway, although I may be jaded, to me, this series is dead and started showing signs of losing its luster a long time ago, probably with the release of 8. I have to wonder how many "hardcore" FF fans that still remain from a quarter of a century ago.

I actually own all these consoles as well and am a huge old school FF Fan (still have the cart for FF on NES). But that doesn't change that this is a joke. If their goal was to make sure that it really was a limited and hard to get thing then they've done the right thing at that price.

Hell, this would be a lot more interesting if they DID put everything on the original carts. That would be much cooler. It would be a hell of a lot more interesting if they put out in the US FF2 and FF3 on the original NES carts, something that was never available here in the US. Hell, there are a lot of things they could have done to make this collection much more interesting. But just putting out everything they already have on the old disks, not even converting the disks/games so that they would all be playable on a single machine..... dialing it in and asking a premium.

No Final Fantasy Tactics? No Final Fantasy Legend(s) (ok these can be excused because they were renamed SaGa games). Final Fantasy adventure? Final fantasy crystal chronicles? Come on you can't say that FF1 through 12 were in any way "Canon" since there's nothing linking any of them.

They started to lose me at FF8 and onward. FF9 kinda brought it back some but FF10, maybe it was the voice acting or the Anime'ness to it but I haven't paid much attention to the series in at least ten years. And yes, I'm the type who says if it wasn't FF6 (u.s. ff3) then it sucks.

Strange...I remember playing FF1 when I was maybe 7 or 8? I learned to read on those games. /nostalgia

I played 1, 2 (US), 3 (US), Mystic Quest, 7, then maybe 10-15 hours into 8 I couldn't get over how bad the game was and I haven't played it or any newer FF games since. I have gone back and played 1 a couple times though. I've always meant to try 9 or some of the newer ones but it just hasn't happened.

I played 1, 2 (US), 3 (US), Mystic Quest, 7, then maybe 10-15 hours into 8 I couldn't get over how bad the game was and I haven't played it or any newer FF games since. I have gone back and played 1 a couple times though. I've always meant to try 9 or some of the newer ones but it just hasn't happened.

I must be weird or something but i have played nearly all including spin off stuff and enjoyed all of them. FF games are story driven and that's most of what i look for in a game.

wow.... I remember playing and beating the original back when I was in first grade.

I actually had that conversation with someone tonight, heh.

60GB's will play this no problems... My 60GB Still works flawless as it did when I bought it 4yrs ago... >.> Manufactured March 2007.

If i had $446 to blow, I would buy the collection simply to have it personally. Then again 7 was alright, Loved 8, 9 was garbage, 10 was short... 11 was great, 12 was good, 13 was good storyline wise and 14 is beginning to turn into an awesome game as well.

If i had $446 to blow, I would buy the collection simply to have it personally. Then again 7 was alright, Loved 8, 9 was garbage, 10 was short... 11 was great, 12 was good, 13 was good storyline wise and 14 is beginning to turn into an awesome game as well.

*looks at name* *looks at comment* uh huh, ya don't say! :D

<nostalgia>
But I grew up loving Final Fantasy games, I was maybe 13-14 when FF1 came out, and it was a bit hard around the edges, the "story" wasn't really hitting me on all cylinders and really didn't have much to differ from any of the Ultima games really, didn't finish the game until many years later on an emulator, I was 13 years old we went out to play too I didn't want to be stuck in front of a god damn game! FF2 however I nerded up quite a bit I bought an SNES just because of this game, and that hooked me in for good, FF3, yup bought a PS1 because of FF7, FF8 was a bit different but hey it had me, FF9 I absolutely loved and wondered how the same technology could play two separate games that looked ages apart plus it brought back the 4 party teams, fucking hate 3 party team bullshit! I didn't buy a PS2 because of FF10, and in fact didn't get FF10 until it became a "classic" game, of course by this time I was an adult. Never played FF10-2, FF11 was an MMORPG and they can suck my dick, lastly FF12 I just couldn't finish either and seemed quite slow, not sure if it was simply me growing up and losing interest or the game itself, but yeah... I certainly loved the spinoffs FF Tactics was the best SRPG EVAH!!! then it got me hooked onto games like Disgaea and all those made by that company (none of this level 99 cap bullshit :D)... I loved Final Fantasy Legend on the gameboy simply because you could be monsters, other than that not a huge amount of story to them.

ahhh memories
</nostalgia>

Either way I wouldn't pay $100 for the set, much less $440, you're not getting anything really in them. I mean if it came with a keepsake from every FF game, sure... but this is the games and a "collectable" art book? Then again it's aimed at Japanese not Americans, it'll sell.

60GB's will play this no problems... My 60GB Still works flawless as it did when I bought it 4yrs ago... >.> Manufactured March 2007.

Come on 9 Was not garbage.

Dancing doesn't give you AIDS. :D

The horizontal mambo certainly can.

*looks at name* *looks at comment* uh huh, ya don't say! :D

<nostalgia>
But I grew up loving Final Fantasy games, I was maybe 13-14 when FF1 came out, and it was a bit hard around the edges, the "story" wasn't really hitting me on all cylinders and really didn't have much to differ from any of the Ultima games really, didn't finish the game until many years later on an emulator, I was 13 years old we went out to play too I didn't want to be stuck in front of a god damn game! FF2 however I nerded up quite a bit I bought an SNES just because of this game, and that hooked me in for good, FF3, yup bought a PS1 because of FF7, FF8 was a bit different but hey it had me, FF9 I absolutely loved and wondered how the same technology could play two separate games that looked ages apart plus it brought back the 4 party teams, fucking hate 3 party team bullshit! I didn't buy a PS2 because of FF10, and in fact didn't get FF10 until it became a "classic" game, of course by this time I was an adult. Never played FF10-2, FF11 was an MMORPG and they can suck my dick, lastly FF12 I just couldn't finish either and seemed quite slow, not sure if it was simply me growing up and losing interest or the game itself, but yeah... I certainly loved the spinoffs FF Tactics was the best SRPG EVAH!!! then it got me hooked onto games like Disgaea and all those made by that company (none of this level 99 cap bullshit :D)... I loved Final Fantasy Legend on the gameboy simply because you could be monsters, other than that not a huge amount of story to them.

ahhh memories
</nostalgia>

Either way I wouldn't pay $100 for the set, much less $440, you're not getting anything really in them. I mean if it came with a keepsake from every FF game, sure... but this is the games and a "collectable" art book? Then again it's aimed at Japanese not Americans, it'll sell.

Tell us how you really feel.

I've always been a fan, but not a 400+ USD fan. For one, I already own most of these games in a few formats just due to picking them up over the years. I loved classic JRPGs when they came out. Now I really hate random battles. Aspects of them aged well, but for me the gameplay didn't. I wouldn't really want to play through these again (even if I didn't already own them) as it is. A re-release isn't that cool when there have been countless re-releases from shit like the GP32 through modern consoles.

This cries for a Gene Wilder meme.

Come on 9 Was not garbage.

The horizontal mambo certainly can.

Absolutely hated FF9... Storyline was decent but everything else I felt was a giant step back from the direction Final Fantasy VIII took the game.

9's card game sucked vs Final Fantasy VIII's. I felt it to was also a giant step backwards but then again, I started Final Fantasy with 8 so.. maybe that's why.

i knew this was going to happen but i was hoping for square to remaster every game and release it on a ps3 blu ray disc. maybe for the 30th anniversary damn i feel old

Hurray.... except since they become Square Enix, Final Fantasy has been money grubbing crap, and Dragon Quest has been... non existent. Combine that with the FF7 "remake' that they're trying to cash on without doing shit to it graphically, but hey give us $450 and we'll give you all these games that any person who's been fan probably already owns (or owned)

They never said it was a remake. They made it so you can install it on Vista, 7 and 8 without needing to go through hoops - and they added a couple other features.

It's only $9.99, not $40.

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/us

It's a pain in the ass to install the original disk on Windows 7 - I know because I've been playing it for a month now from my original disk I bought 14 years ago.

They never said it was a remake. They made it so you can install it on Vista, 7 and 8 without needing to go through hoops - and they added a couple other features.

It's a pain in the ass to install the original disk on Windows 7 - I know because I've been playing it for a month now from my original disk I bought 14 years ago.

They must have done something horrible to it. The new system requirements are:

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500

Processor: 2GHz
Memory: 1GB
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c-compatible graphic card
Hard Drive: 2.16GB
DirectX: DirectX 9.0C
Controller Support: Gamepad / Joystick

Compared to the original:

http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/ff7_pcreview.php

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows 95 compatible system
DirectX 5.0
Intel Pentium 133 (recommended Pentium 200)
4 megs Video Card (8 megs 3D accelerator recommended)
32 megs of RAM
4x CD-ROM
DirectX 5.0 compatible sound card (AWE64 or XG-MIDI compatible recommended)

Without a graphics upgrade, why the big changes?

Absolutely hated FF9... Storyline was decent but everything else I felt was a giant step back from the direction Final Fantasy VIII took the game.

9's card game sucked vs Final Fantasy VIII's. I felt it to was also a giant step backwards but then again, I started Final Fantasy with 8 so.. maybe that's why.

IMO those card games were an unnecessary part of the whole game. While I'm sure there was a segment of the playing population that enjoyed the distraction they really added nothing to the whole game, yes you could get stuff from it but it was an unnecessary aspect of the game. I felt the inclusion was basically used as a catalyst to try and push a real world Pokemon type of card game and that's it.

Besides FF7 & 8 took a major step backwards in gameplay by restricting your characters to 3, and really was what pushed the "everyone knows everything" "job" style gameplay system because anyone could learn any skill.

Well there's a lot of things that worked 14 years ago that don't work now. Is this an upgrade you can get for free? $9.99 seems a bit excessive for a game that old just because it works in Windows 7 now. This is like a Steam sale where the claim 75% off, but everyone out there gives a funny look saying it's not a $40 game.

Back